Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i usually buy a single pack while im already at the store getting other stuff just for fun, or directly at the LGS to support them and to cap off the night. thats about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I do love those lands! Luckily aside from a few kitchen table decks, all my paper decks are commander and I don't even use doubles of basics so I've been able to ration my unfinity basic lands into every deck so far. I also got a big pack of the shocks since I definitely did not crack enough of those and sold my original box topper one.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
My marker for "is it worth it to buy packs" (It's never worth it) is if the set has commons/uncommons worth playing. Looking at Lost Caverns I don't see a single non-rare I'd put in a deck, whereas LOTR and MotM had some decent stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mix. posted:

i usually buy a single pack while im already at the store getting other stuff just for fun, or directly at the LGS to support them and to cap off the night. thats about it

Yeah I treat it like a venue fee for letting me play. Some days you get nothing and give cards away to anyone who wants them, other times you get an urzas saga from the list

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Toshimo posted:

Derevi 100%

Oooooh

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Yeah, Derevi and a bunch of Flying Men will get you there fast and it adds White for Enlightened Tutor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also green for vorinclex and doubling season.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Well, Vorel was already in Green. Derevi is gonna make people immediately weary, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Somehow I've never noticed Derevi before and that ability to avoid commander tax leaves you so many more lands for activities. I have several halo fountain scratched deck ideas that didn't quite come together, but this birdman could surely do something silly to make either halo fountain or millennium calendar work.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Somehow I've never noticed Derevi before and that ability to avoid commander tax leaves you so many more lands for activities. I have several halo fountain scratched deck ideas that didn't quite come together, but this birdman could surely do something silly to make either halo fountain or millennium calendar work.

Sheldon didn't like Derevi because he dodged the tax (and you can do it at Instant speed). It's really easy to make a stax deck with him where you just untap all your poo poo with 1/1 fliers to break parity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Friends aren't into stax as theme and not sure I am either, but don't think anyone will care if I'm trying to win with halo fountain and millennium calendar. Sheldon never shows up despite open unspoken invitation.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I mean, I'd be concerned if he started showing up now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also green for vorinclex and doubling season.

Gonna try and stay lower budget but drat if I don’t want to do it.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

LanceKing2200 posted:

My marker for "is it worth it to buy packs" (It's never worth it) is if the set has commons/uncommons worth playing. Looking at Lost Caverns I don't see a single non-rare I'd put in a deck, whereas LOTR and MotM had some decent stuff.
My one notable exception was Kutzil, which I was hoping to open. Bought a Bundle, opened that Cat three times, in regular, showcase, and showcase foil.
It was my first time cracking packs with my youngest, and it was one of my better hauls from a Bundle including a Cavern of Souls so that's definitely set them up to be disappointed in future.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Johnny Truant posted:

I bought a box of Ixalan cause this set looks real cool and legit got 4 good cards. Not a single Ojer, good reprint, any of the good land flips, fuckin nothing

I'm fuckin done buying packs, this is just dogshit :mad:

I'm in the same boat. I typically like buying a bundle per set because I like getting the box and the spindown too, but they've been garbo almost every time. And you get a ton of pointless bulk to sift through too.

Unless I really want to crack some packs, I think I'm done buying sealed boosters. I looked at an ixalan bundle today, considered it, and kept walking.

I'd rather just catch up on singles from the last few sets that I want.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

I bought a box of Ixalan cause this set looks real cool and legit got 4 good cards. Not a single Ojer, good reprint, any of the good land flips, fuckin nothing

I'm fuckin done buying packs, this is just dogshit :mad:

The cardstock for this set has been absolute trash as well. All cards feel really rough and cheap.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
I was going to buy a booster box assuming the Jurassic World cards would appear as often as Transformers cards did but it appears they are much more rare. Hoping their price tanks. 🤞

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Got a foil Enchanted Tales Rhystic Study today. It's not a non-foil anime one like I wanted, but it'll do.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WerrWaaa posted:

I was going to buy a booster box assuming the Jurassic World cards would appear as often as Transformers cards did but it appears they are much more rare. Hoping their price tanks. 🤞

Same rate but all the Transformers were the same rarity while Jurassic Park has Basics, Rares and Mythics.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I finished building the initial version of my rowan deck and played it this weekend. Friday I got talked into running it in a test run of a cedh tournament my lgs was looking at hosting and died on turn 4 after nobody else played any interaction to stop a najeela deck going infinite aside from me trying to board wipe turn 3. It got countered and the dimir player with a counterspell in hand (verified by another player) let it happen because he is a bad player.

After that we rolled into just a high powered edh game and I got an early breach the multiverse that let me dominate the rest of the game.

Tonight I played it and ate poo poo on the first round due to being stuck on 2 mana after keeping a greedy hand with torment of hailfire and wall of blood.

2nd round went much better after a turn 4 K'rrik let me drop a bolas's citadel and I very quickly ran away with the game after that. Some mild salt about citadel ensued.

After playing it, I'm gonna have to agree with someone else who said there is no nice way to build that deck, it's either jank or no fun land. No in between. The fried rice card sleeves are very cute in the chinese takeout deckbox though. :kimchi:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Someone offered to pass me a Wishclaw Talisman if I promised not to steal their Chromatic Lantern. I said sure, only for them to flash in an Opposition Agent when I went to use the talisman myself. I really should have seen it coming a mile away, but I still walked right into it, lmao

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Batterypowered7 posted:

Someone offered to pass me a Wishclaw Talisman if I promised not to steal their Chromatic Lantern. I said sure, only for them to flash in an Opposition Agent when I went to use the talisman myself. I really should have seen it coming a mile away, but I still walked right into it, lmao

Swear revenge.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WerrWaaa posted:

Picked up the Ravenous Tyrannosaurus for $8, and some lands. Waiting for the raptors to go down in price before I bite on those.

I wish I could tell my younger self that I'd one day have a deck with the T-Rex from Jurassic Park teaming up with Godzilla.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

lmao get wrecked

I wouldn't even be mad, that's just clever lol

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is no longer commander, I'm playing arch enemy.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

While waiting for Derevi to arrive, I'm gonna make a Zur the Enchanter deck.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Is there any card that says to the effect of "players can't discard cards". Just curious if there is a Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal deck that doesn't make the game miserable with discard.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Tamiyo from WAR is the only one that straight up does that.

Library of Leng let's you reveal the card and put it on your library. If you have it and Spiritual Focus in play Spiritual Focus then let's gaijs you 2 life and draw it back into your hand.

I think?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nothing global like that. There's a handful that protect their controller, but even those don't work in a way that would trigger Aclazotz how you want.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I don't want other players to be able to discard to get the card draw which isn't an effect I could see being that relevant or playable. I was hoping that there was some weird anti-madness card that was super niche and forgotten.

Leaning into pure discard is just kinda unfun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Any fun discard effects to go with Necropotence? Since Necropotence exiles my card when they go to the graveyard, stuff like Toluz clever conductor could actually keep the cards without losing them forever.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any fun discard effects to go with Necropotence? Since Necropotence exiles my card when they go to the graveyard, stuff like Toluz clever conductor could actually keep the cards without losing them forever.

Archfiend of Ifnir, Bone Miser, Containment Construct, Currency Converter, Feast of Sanity I guess, madness cards

Start of the alphabet only

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonsieurChoc posted:

While the abilities are nigh identical- the only difference is necro triggers once per card no matter how many at once while Toluz triggers once per discard event- Toluz's last ability is linked to the second and only counts cards exiled by that specific instance of Toluz on the battlefield.

Necropotence is still a great idea because it's loving Necro, but Toluz can't recover cards exiled before it showed up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Swear revenge.

Framboise posted:

lmao get wrecked

I wouldn't even be mad, that's just clever lol

Elmnt80 posted:

This is no longer commander, I'm playing arch enemy.

Honestly, it was just super funny to me. I was like, "All this cEDH content I consume and I still walked face first into that." I had to graciously take that L. I ended up stealing the talisman back, then sacrificing it to Korvold with the tutor ability on the stack (after removing the Opposition Agent, of course). We then all lost to the guy playing The Locust God after he wheeled twice, lol

MonsieurChoc posted:

While waiting for Derevi to arrive, I'm gonna make a Zur the Enchanter deck.

It's like you woke up wishing to be the most targeted player at the table.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

While the abilities are nigh identical- the only difference is necro triggers once per card no matter how many at once while Toluz triggers once per discard event- Toluz's last ability is linked to the second and only counts cards exiled by that specific instance of Toluz on the battlefield.

Necropotence is still a great idea because it's loving Necro, but Toluz can't recover cards exiled before it showed up.

I'm not sure I follow the interaction completely.

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's like you woke up wishing to be the most targeted player at the table.

If I'm targeted it means I managed to be a threat.

Edit: I don't have to go with Zur, I'm jsut trying to come up with a good commander for Necropotence shenanigans.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 21, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: I don't have to go with Zur, I'm jsut trying to come up with a good commander for Necropotence shenanigans.

Yeah, that's just Zur.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MonsieurChoc posted:

If I'm targeted it means I managed to be a threat.

I'm assuming you're aiming to be a schmuck that sucks the fun out of everyone else's games or takes huge gambles on a win so:

Rowan, scion of war. Necropotence plus Torment of Hailfire, or Crackle with Power. Include Mortarion (from 40k) to make a shitload of zombies as well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonsieurChoc posted:

Toluz's third ability only returns to the hand cards exiled by Toluz's second ability. If the cards are exiled for any other reason, by any other ability or effect, they're not returned to the hand. That's what "exiled with it" means.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm assuming you're aiming to be a schmuck that sucks the fun out of everyone else's games or takes huge gambles on a win so:

Rowan, scion of war. Necropotence plus Torment of Hailfire, or Crackle with Power. Include Mortarion (from 40k) to make a shitload of zombies as well.

gently caress that. They shall be legion gives you a robot army and a poo poo ton of life for the next round of bullshit. :unsmigghh:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not trying to suck the fun, def the huge gamble side.

I built a first version that's trying for a jank win with Necropotence + Feast of Sanity + Platinum Angel + Discard outlets. I'll see how it goes and modify accordingly.