Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

McGavin posted:

I see they finally got around to covering the statue in Kontakt-5.

(Active) protect mother Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I feel like Nizh ERA would be especially appropriate for that statue, given what the name means.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

It sucks to read this stuff, but it's important to stay in touch with realism.

https://twitter.com/andrewsweiss/status/1725482522782388227

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

glynnenstein posted:

It sucks to read this stuff, but it's important to stay in touch with realism.

https://twitter.com/andrewsweiss/status/1725482522782388227

Unfortunately I think Putin can win this* unless a sea change happens. While all those russian vehicles and ships and officers exploding is good, it seems they've adapted to just using unending meat waves carrying only small arms, reproducible artillery shells, and disposable drones en masse unending. I worry that he's successfully turned this war into who can sustain human misery for the longest, and in that respect, russia has a huge edge over western support.

*defined here as force stalemate until western suppliers give up and then slowly push back Ukr forces with endless suicide waves that they seem to be able to sustain indefinitely.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 18, 2023

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Sure, with a properly defeatist attitude there's no end to the wars you can lose or allies you can abandon.

What the gently caress do these people think a russian "win" looks like? Genocide of Ukraine, for one, that's blindingly obvious, and using russia's current tactics an unimaginable bloodshed per square kilometer.

What is a "win" in this three-day special operation? It used to be conquering the country of Ukraine, now it's down to what? Hold some extra square kilometers of the east? Not lose Crimea? Well that certainly seems worth hundreds and thousands of lives and the crippling of the russian economy.

Even in a "win", these motherfucking fascists should lose.

The math for european nations, NATO and the US is super simple. While russia is busy in Ukraine, they are not a threat or outright losing everywhere else. While Russia is spending itself on Ukraine, every eurodollar spent giving Ukraine support is directly going to its intended purpose, destroying russian military capability.

The west can sustain this indefinitely. Hell, military spending actually increases gross national product, loving creates jobs and whatever. It's great value for our defence spending.

And I don't think all this posturing about how great all this is going is the actual truth, regardless of all of the above. I think, that when you are weak, appear strong. I think russia's back is breaking. I think they are spending themselves into irrelevance. I want russia so crippled by the end of the war that they aren't a credible threat in Europe ever again.

So I think the west has every incentive to keep supporting Ukraine with everything we have, and geopolitics have a strong tendency to follow strong incentives. Anything else I would consider a betrayal and shortsighted stupidity.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pretty big update, per ISW:

https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-november-17-2023

quote:

Ukrainian officials stated that Ukrainian forces have established bridgeheads on the east (left) bank of Kherson Oblast and are conducting ground operations aimed at pushing Russian forces out of artillery range of the west (right) bank of the Dnipro River. The Ukrainian Marine Corps Command and the Ukrainian General Staff stated on November 17 that Ukrainian marines have secured several “bridgeheads” on the east bank following successful actions and are conducting actions to expand these positions.[1] US military doctrine defines a bridgehead as “an area on the enemy’s side of the water obstacle that is large enough to accommodate the majority of the crossing force, has adequate terrain to permit defense of the crossing sites, provides security to crossing forces from enemy direct fire, and provides a base for continuing the attack.”[2] The doctrinal definition of a bridgehead does not stipulate a certain size for the crossing force, the extent of the secured positions, or the ability to transfer and operate heavy military equipment from those positions. The necessary size of a bridgehead depends on the operations it is meant to support, and the official Ukrainian acknowledgment of these positions as bridgeheads indicates that the Ukrainian command assesses that these positions are sufficient for continuing ground operations on the east bank.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nice piece of fish posted:

The west can sustain this indefinitely. Hell, military spending actually increases gross national product, loving creates jobs and whatever. It's great value for our defence spending.

I would disagree with the first.

In a "win" Putin gets to solidify his domestic politics by going "hey, we took a chunk of Ukraine" and repeat the same adventure again in a year or two when they've had a chance to learn, build up missile stocks and be better prepared, but this time with the West more exhausted and Ukraine notably smaller and in a worse position to counterattack. Oh and, of course, all the ongoing genocide. Not to mention that you just know a bunch of assholes(Germany, Hungary, Slovakia...) would be soiling themselves from excitement in their hurry to go "WELL RUSSIA'S NOT ATTACKING ANY MORE, CAN WE TAKE RUSSIAN MONEY AGAIN? PLEASE??? PLEASE???" and dismantling sanctions as rapidly as possible.

In the case of the second, yes, the West can, but will they, is the question. We've already seen Republicans doing their damndest to block support to Ukraine, we've got Hungary attempting to block additional sanctions and refusing to provide support, we've got Slovakia electing a pro-Russian government that refuses to support Ukraine. Slowness in supplying Ukraine with a lot of important poo poo, or upgrading their capabilities(often accompanied by the weeping battlecry of "b-b-b-but escalation!!!!!"), has a lot of blame for the current state of the front lines. Obviously some of the delays were logistical, training required on the Ukrainian side, etc. but there has also been a lot of political delay.

Over a long enough period of time, with hard enough sanctions and sufficient enforcement of them, probably Russia is also destroying itself. But you have to keep in mind that for all the sanctions the West are enforcing, pretty much everyone east of Kyiv and south of Rome is happily buying from Russia and supporting their economy. The pricing might be worse, but between China and India alone, you've got some huge loving markets willing to slurp up fossil fuels and other natural resources. It's not going to happen on a meaningful timeline without a more globally united front.

Don't get me wrong, I support the continuation of the sanctions and more support for Ukraine, but I do think that a lapse in this support is a real and tangible threat.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

PurpleXVI posted:

I would disagree with the first.

Don't get me wrong, I support the continuation of the sanctions and more support for Ukraine, but I do think that a lapse in this support is a real and tangible threat.

I said "should" and not "would". To explain; it is my opinion that even if an eventual victory for russia is inevitable (what, occupy Ukraine? what does that look like), that victory should be pyrric to the point of being usustainable and crippling for russia. I would like them to bankrupt themselves on this venture.

The alternative is that western europe is going to have to up its military spending considerably to take into account russia's willingness to spend as many lives as it takes to achieve an objective. Common sense politics has regarded this as politically suicidal, but apparently the russian people will pay any price (?) for any square of dirt Putin wants? I'd like to find out if that last part is really true, but if it appears so then I guess western europe needs overwhelming force to defend itself as a deterrence.

Or, you know, western europe can just get its head out of its rear end and give Ukraine what it needs.

I think a lapse in support is unforgivable and I wouldn't (and haven't) voted for any politician willing to decrease support regardless of my ordinary political leanings.

I mean, russia destroyed the european peace. They are the only realistic threat to western europe. People should be furious at russia at this point.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

so then I guess western europe needs overwhelming force to defend itself as a deterrence.

We already have it. They're called nuclear weapons.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I think Biden has done an admirable job here of bringing the west along this far in supporting Ukraine while ‘boiling the frog’ and keeping the fighting limited and other Russian aligned countries mostly out of it.

Russia is getting some munitions and likely some banned electronics from its partners but that’s much less than what could be happening. Ukraine isn’t getting what it needs to win quickly but there also aren’t Chinese bombers flying sorties from Russian bases or 3 corps of North Koreans holding part of the front. Meanwhile we’ve been watching Ukraines capabilities advance in meaningful stages to more and longer ranged precision weapons, better equipment and by most accounts a significant counter battery capability in a war where artillery is the queen of battle all of which will, given time, serious reduce Putins ability to wage this war.

Is it frustrating? Sure. But, I think people are severely underestimating how far south this situation could have gone or could still go.

Russia is fighting a defensive war across 600 miles of front and hasn’t had successful offensive operations since the spring and shows no signs of being able to mount any anytime soon.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Sure, with a properly defeatist attitude there's no end to the wars you can lose or allies you can abandon.

What the gently caress do these people think a russian "win" looks like? Genocide of Ukraine, for one, that's blindingly obvious, and using russia's current tactics an unimaginable bloodshed per square kilometer.

What is a "win" in this three-day special operation? It used to be conquering the country of Ukraine, now it's down to what? Hold some extra square kilometers of the east? Not lose Crimea? Well that certainly seems worth hundreds and thousands of lives and the crippling of the russian economy.

The math for european nations, NATO and the US is super simple. While russia is busy in Ukraine, they are not a threat or outright losing everywhere else. While Russia is spending itself on Ukraine, every eurodollar spent giving Ukraine support is directly going to its intended purpose, destroying russian military capability.

And I don't think all this posturing about how great all this is going is the actual truth, regardless of all of the above. I think, that when you are weak, appear strong. I think russia's back is breaking. I think they are spending themselves into irrelevance. I want russia so crippled by the end of the war that they aren't a credible threat in Europe ever again.

So I think the west has every incentive to keep supporting Ukraine with everything we have, and geopolitics have a strong tendency to follow strong incentives. Anything else I would consider a betrayal and shortsighted stupidity.

I think Putin's goal here is proving that the west and america will abandon anyone relying on its help as soon as its convenient, allowing Putin and whatever assholes after him to start bullying neighbors again. A huge part of the russian war effort in syria and elsewhere is "there is no hope, there is no rescue, there is only suffering and then your death", and with a mutilated Ukraine, despite it still existing, he can point to the price and futility of resistance.

Even if russia destroys its military on this they've proven to be exceptionally good at just buying off assorted plutocrats and neo-liberal politicians. Its difficult to mount a real resistance from a threat that one's leaders really, really want to take the money from. That's what a Putin victory would mean here, Kiev is off the table as is most of Ukraine, but showing the U.S. is feckless and assorted european leaders to be corrupt and willing to abandon anything in exchange for petrodollars allows russian intelligence to continue to shape the future of the world.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Its hard to use those to prevent weaponized corruption efforts coring out one's sovereignty and putting a chud government sympathetic to russia in power. Nukes stop tanks from crossing the border but not polonium ninjas or anonymous bank transfers to offshore accounts. Its not a question of "can russia be stopped" its "do those who tend to rise to power have any reason to place their nation's betterment over their own personal comfort and advancements?" and there's a lot of cyprian laundered cash on hand to make that a moral peril.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 18, 2023

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Murgos posted:

Russia is getting some munitions and likely some banned electronics from its partners but that’s much less than what could be happening.

Speaking of which, now that Russia has to obtain a lot of western technology through shady intermediaries, I wonder how many Trojan horses are going in? :nsa:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Whenever someone brings up someone else using nuclear weapons in defence of someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o861Ka9TtT4

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Putin only has to hang on until Trump gets reelected.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mzuri posted:

Putin only has to hang on until Trump gets reelected.

Its this. Or any republican that beats biden

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
What happens when Biden starts campaigning seriously and beats trump by 4%?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The X-man cometh posted:

What happens when Biden starts campaigning seriously and beats trump by 4%?

Then there's a better chance Ukraine continues to get funding from the US.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Czy5gzpr1Am/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Gonna have a fish fry!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Defenestrategy posted:

Whenever someone brings up someone else using nuclear weapons in defence of someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o861Ka9TtT4

that series is so quotable

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Its this. Or any republican that beats biden

For the next year Ukraine has to base their planning on support from the US being cut off on the afternoon of January 20, 2025.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I wonder when we'll start seeing the power grid attacks again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I wonder when we'll start seeing the power grid attacks again.

probably when it gets colder

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
also my view on the recent 'wow do we need to re-evaluate how Ukraine is doing??' editorials is that those are mostly the result of relatively low-info people who were reading piles of the pie-in-the-sky english-language pro-Ukraine bullshit that has been absolutely everywhere since the first week of the war. Since literally the beginning of the war there's been a stark divide between what, say, anglophone twitter is saying about how the war is going and what Ukrainians (and people who have actually traveled to Ukraine to talk to Ukrainians involved in the war) have been saying. I know I've ranted about this in here before but while twitter was jerking off about how Russians are incompetent unadapting bumbling idiots who Ukraine will effortlessly steamroll Ukrainians were describing Russian adaptation cycles in terms of weeks and how Russians were difficult opponents on multiple significant levels. idk to what extent that was just people seeking out and wanting to believe stuff that makes them feel good vs at least partly a rather poorly conceived messaging effort, but it's really never had any particular connection to reality and my real scorcher of a take is that imo all that 'Ukraine has this effortlessly' poo poo was incredibly counterproductive wrt efforts to actually get Ukraine what it needs on relevant timeframes and did little other than stoke a bunch of delusional narratives

as an aside it's been interesting to see so much of that messaging apparatus reorient almost overnight to posting instead about how Israel needs to destroy Palestine, which is another conflict that will no doubt be improved by the firehose of internet bullshit

ChubbyChecker posted:

probably when it gets colder

it's already late November, they started late October/early November last year iirc

e: double checked, fully was underway by Oct 10th last year, so right after the withdrawal/fall of kherson. there's been long running speculation that recent Russian missile production is being held back for wintertime infrastructure attacks (or maybe a spring offensive?) but I am skeptical that that's the full story

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 18, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I know I've ranted about this in here before but while twitter was jerking off about how Russians are incompetent unadapting bumbling idiots who Ukraine will effortlessly steamroll Ukrainians were describing Russian adaptation cycles in terms of weeks and how Russians were difficult opponents on multiple significant levels.

I think the truth here is somewhat in the middle, because while the Russians have indeed engaged in some adaptation, they have also shown every ability to repeat the same mistakes they made over a year ago and throw piles and piles of men and materiel into a meatgrinder for little to no gain. Whether this is because their command are in fact dipshit morons or because political pressures(such as the pressure to not suddenly fall out of a window) forces this sort of behavior, we probably won't know for a few decades yet until enough material from the Russian side is leaked, but it does also mean they're not the hyperadaptive ultrafoe.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's really not in the middle and at no point am I saying that they're a 'hyperadaptive ultrafoe' (your words, definitely not mine), I'm saying that Ukrainians regularly talk about Russian tactical innovation in timelines of weeks which has been an extremely consistent theme from actual Ukrainian servicemembers all the way back to the early weeks of the war. Gerasimov getting personally involved and pissing away huge amounts of materiel in a couple spectacularly stupid and failed offensive attempts doesn't have a lot of bearing on how the entire rest of the war is being fought on a day-to-day basis. unfortunately.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 18, 2023

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

e: double checked, fully was underway by Oct 10th last year, so right after the withdrawal/fall of kherson. there's been long running speculation that recent Russian missile production is being held back for wintertime infrastructure attacks (or maybe a spring offensive?) but I am skeptical that that's the full story

There's been a lot of speculation that Russia might launch them in larger volleys to saturate air defences.

Successful drone strikes on the launch aircraft in August have also prompted relocations of the cruise missile bombers to airbases further away from Ukraine. It's going to take a lot more effort if they have to first fly into range instead of just taking off, launching and landing.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

it's already late November, they started late October/early November last year iirc

they might not have enough to start up bombing this soon, but my bet is that russia will start heavy city bombings when it's mid winter

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If Russia is doing so well why are they losing ground against a non-peer adversary? Not saying it's not an uphill struggle but everybody is wowed by Ukraine even existing at this point, nevermind pushing back.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Soul Dentist posted:

If Russia is doing so well why are they losing ground against a non-peer adversary? Not saying it's not an uphill struggle but everybody is wowed by Ukraine even existing at this point, nevermind pushing back.

Who is saying Russia is doing well? The argument is that they're not cartoonishly incompetent as is sometimes depicted.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
"Quantity has a Quality all of its own"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

M_Gargantua posted:

The classic Red Army strategy.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

Who is saying Russia is doing well? The argument is that they're not cartoonishly incompetent as is sometimes depicted.

The very fact they can’t gain ground is proof they are cartoonishly incompetent. It’s like a bear being bloodied by a French bulldog. If they were competent, they would be winning.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quackles posted:

The classic Red Army strategy.

…say the Nazi survivors to keep from looking like idiots

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

*offer not valid without American logistics

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Borscht posted:

The very fact they can’t gain ground is proof they are cartoonishly incompetent.

That's not necessarily true, the defenders might also be very driven. The exaggerations about Russian incompetence go too far a lot of the time.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, it leads to the dangers of just assuming the pro Ukr side is so obviously superior it cannot fail. Discounting even a struggling enemy is a good way to make unforced errors while fighting that enemy.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

To be fair, the initial invasion towards Kyiv was hilariously incompetent in ways that are quite well documented.

It's not representative of the rest of the war, but it does colour perceptions.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It seems unlikely, but I do hope one day we get the book on what on earth is up with Gerasimov.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

To be fair, the initial invasion towards Kyiv was hilariously incompetent in ways that are quite well documented.

It's not representative of the rest of the war, but it does colour perceptions.

At this point I think the greater risk is allowing first impressions to be only perceptions. Despite having all their high end toys and logistical lines blown up repeatedly they've managed to tar pit the ukranian counterassault with endless meat waves+drones. Putin has survived the internal chaos the bungled start of the war caused and is now putting russia on a total war footing after cleaning house of anything and anyone that could get in his way. Its fighting a war with sticks and stones on the counter-offensive, and while it seems absurd its straining ukranian resources just to keep up with it. Its a hell of a thing to wipe out 10s of thousands of the enemy and they show no sign of slowing down assaults. The leadership of the country nextdoor with 10 to 100 times your everything just decided to spill its guts trying to kill you. The prospect is terrifying but the alternative to resisting russia to the very end is one's civilian population being systematically exterminated one way or another.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ronwayne posted:

Unfortunately I think Putin can win this* unless a sea change happens. While all those russian vehicles and ships and officers exploding is good, it seems they've adapted to just using unending meat waves carrying only small arms, reproducible artillery shells, and disposable drones en masse unending. I worry that he's successfully turned this war into who can sustain human misery for the longest, and in that respect, russia has a huge edge over western support.

*defined here as force stalemate until western suppliers give up and then slowly push back Ukr forces with endless suicide waves that they seem to be able to sustain indefinitely.

I don't think he can 'win' this (winning being taking all of Ukraine) but I do think he can stalemate it till he dies.

If he could win this, he already would have. The sheer amount of wasted forces and equipment Russia has thrown into this bottomless pit does not reflect an ability to win.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 19, 2023