Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

don't mind me, just doing a fun little cross post from the mini painting thread

Deathwatch Phobos Lt from the Mortifactors :black101:

And from today's preview it looks like I'm finally getting Orikan (and a Night Lords Kill-Team :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Cease to Hope posted:

???

what do you mean that it's overdue?
Probably that a Night Lords specific upgrade sprue is long overdue since they do have a very specific aesthetic despite being one of the 'generic' traitor legions.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

don't mind me, just doing a fun little cross post from the mini painting thread

Deathwatch Phobos Lt from the Mortifactors :black101:

this looks good as hell and lol that the first image makes it look like he's wearing a skull as a hat

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
That Night Lords Kill Team looks incredible, especially for just being an upgrade sprue. The text says it’s an “extra large” sprue, which I’ll believe since it looks like they’re replacing almost half of every model. Just hope this team doesn’t end up costing more due to that.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Desfore posted:

Just hope this team doesn’t end up costing more due to that.

Narrator: "It did."

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
OH MY GOD

ASMODAI LOOKS LIKE THE 1997 CATALOGUe THAT GOT ME INTO WARHAMMER

OH MY GOODDD

I MUUUUUUST HAVE IT

DAY ONE PURCHASE

Also deathwing looks cool too!!

Orikan looks great as well!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Desfore posted:

That Night Lords Kill Team looks incredible, especially for just being an upgrade sprue. The text says it’s an “extra large” sprue, which I’ll believe since it looks like they’re replacing almost half of every model.

Less than you'd think, a lot of the "Night Lord" stuff is clever repaints.

Here is the Legionary Kill Team upgrade sprue for reference.

And here's the new Kill Team all laid out:

All of the NL guys have a new head, compared to just six new heads for the old KT. It looks like all of the NL guys also have a new NL logo shoulder pad (except for one), but no other new shoulders. I'm not going to mention the head and the one new shoulder for each one but they all have them, even the boring guys.

From left to right:
  • The icon bearer with half of a space marine corpse just has the icon parts, and presumably an accompanying arm.
  • The double claw guy is all standard legionary parts except for the new arms. The giant skull shoulderpad is just a regular legionary part, not even from the bonus sprue.
  • The missile launcher guy is a standard marine.
  • The poisoned blade guy not only has the blade, but also a custom pistol. He also has a bottle on his belt and I don't know how that's attached. It seems to be a separate piece because the chest and legs are on the standard legionary sprue.
  • Plasma gun guy is standard.
  • Aspiring champion has a new cape and a new sword but everything else is standard. The tabard with the knife is just a standard legionary part that looks good as hell.
  • Icon backpack guy is standard, as are bolter guy with the chained ammo feed and boring chainsword guy.
  • Chainglaive guy has the chainglaive, arms to go with it, skin-draped shoulder pads (one with the NL logo), and a new chest piece with the skin apron and butcher tools. I'm like 80% sure his legs are standard.

that's the rundown of murder-ibu stacey's new hats. it's probably a double sprue, especially if there are >10 heads (to give helmeted/non-helmeted NL-specific options).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Man those NLs look so awesome I just wanna repaint all my Chaos duders in NL colours now

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

That's it, my army will be dark angels, the Asmodai Seals it,

Lion - Asmodai - Deathwing

it's too good. sorry losers I'm going with Lion the Gorilla and the angry priest.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I really like the smoke effects on the new Asmodai

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Asmodai rules and I love the Night Lords helmets (and other bobbles)

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I do not regret my choice of Raven Guard but man the Dark Angels fans are eating well lately. I could have chosen Dark Angels; I got into this via the Dark Vengeance box.

I am probably going to buy that Asmodai to steal the head for another Chaplain.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Im worried though about the pariah nexus crusade book, is it mandatory that both factions be necrons or mechanicus to play the missions?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Night Lords players are eating well, apart from the Kill Team box, the heresy MkVI assault marines have the old arched-intake jump-packs that are perfect for Raptors

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I somehow willed this into existence by bashing together regular legionaries and printed Night Lord bits with the arched intake jump packs, and they were nice enough to wait until the night I was painting the 5th member of the squad to show this. Oh well guess I'll be making more NLs because these are too cool to not get

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Nazzadan posted:

I somehow willed this into existence by bashing together regular legionaries and printed Night Lord bits with the arched intake jump packs, and they were nice enough to wait until the night I was painting the 5th member of the squad to show this. Oh well guess I'll be making more NLs because these are too cool to not get

I know how you feel. I have 10x HH Mk6 marine bodies and I just bought a bunch of Night Lords helmets and shoulders a few months ago (the updated heads and shoulders, the old upgrade sprue, and the Terror squad upgrades).

I wanted a more renegade vibe than chaos look, but those heads are so so so much better than what's been released so far.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Cease to Hope posted:

i have Mydudes.txt myself

it's The Worst Goddamned Chaos Cult Ever. it's a led by a demon prince who was an ogryn who saw someone turn into a chaos spawn and had a transcendent religious moment. you can be something even crueler and meaner and not even have to think at all? unfortunately for him, ogryn are still pretty resistant to chaos corruption and he turned out to be the right amount of cruel, strong, and self-centered to make up for not being too bright. word got around about the chaos lord brute who aspired to spawndom, and attracted the sort of fanatic, erratic, and utterly ambitionless weirdos who would want to turn into spawn - and that turned out to be the perfect force for him to lead. after an untold amount of time erratically crushing the innocent, the last gift he got from a chaos god was princedom.

so now he's pissed, and just smart enough to have an agenda, but the problem is he's not entirely sure which god it was. and his followers are all the most useless mutated idiots you've ever seen. plus now he has new headaches like a bunch of galaxy brain cranks who think that failing at failing is the new path to princedom, or various promises to explain or investigate his situation. at least they're likely to go off and get themselves killed!

This is a great concept! It's creative and funny, without just being slapstick. I'm also a big fan of mydudes.txt, but since I collect Custodes for now, it's a bit tricky to come up with something very unusual that isn't just random. My concept is based on the idea of a band of Custodes who were predicted by the Imperial Tarot to be associated with death and tragedy in the future (scrying-based government policy is great). This obviously makes them a pretty poor fit for bodyguard duty, through no fault of their own, but their job is now to stay as far away from anything important as possible. They do this by commandeering a hapless Rogue Trader vessel (which I'm incorporating by using Imperial Agents allies in my army) and just loving around in a depressed state near the edges of the Imperium.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Got my hands in this Taurox. I think they just... smothered this in glue!

I'm cleaning it up to reassemble

So.. about 4 hours after posting this I got incredibly ill. And have been ill all week and I think... I think it might be from handling this model..

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

God drat it, i thought the deathwing knights were the assault terminators with the Lightning Claws, i was reallt hoping for that.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Al-Saqr posted:

Im worried though about the pariah nexus crusade book, is it mandatory that both factions be necrons or mechanicus to play the missions?

The way it works in Crusade: Tyrannic War is there's rules for anyone but a bunch of those rules are specific to Tyranids and a bunch are specific to "Anyone other than Tyranids." I would expect Crusade: Pariah Nexus to work the same way, except replace all instances of "Tyranids" with "Necrons."

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Shoehead posted:

So.. about 4 hours after posting this I got incredibly ill. And have been ill all week and I think... I think it might be from handling this model..

Maybe it used asbestos for gap filling.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

What's the difference between deathwing knights and deathwing terminators?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Previously they were both built with the same kit. The bodies had DA iconography and were shared between the units, but with different army and head options. Deathwing Terminators were equipped the same as other terminators, plus the option of a plasma cannon. Deathwing Knights used maces and a flail. Rules wise, Deathwing Terminators were also allowed to mix melee and ranged weapons which other terminators were not.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

What's the difference between deathwing knights and deathwing terminators?
Deathwing terminators are your standard terminators just with Dark Angels flavor added in. They can mix melee and shooting weapons freely within the unit and can take plasma cannons as a heavy weapon option. Nothing too crazy.

The knights are the elite within the elite. They're fully in on the crazy deathwing poo poo and a lot of them go on to be officers within the chapter. They used to use Maces of Absolution and storm shields, but they've now added swords to the mix. The maces have had a few iterations over the years and right now they're S6 AP-1 D3 with 4 attacks apiece. And they hit on a 2+. The sergeant in the old kit got a flail instead, curious to see if it hangs around. The unit also has -1 to incoming damage and gets a little Watcher in the Dark to protect them from mortal wounds once per game. Think of them like super assault terminators and you're probably not far off.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Man the deathwing knights look so cool but my love of ligthning claws is going to make me wait for the normal deathwing terminator or the assault termies instead lol, also the thunder hammer and such.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

What's the concensus best army list builder these days?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wurzag posted:

What's the concensus best army list builder these days?

from what I've been hearing it's this:-

https://www.newrecruit.eu/

I personally use the official app for quick and dirty checking as well.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Official app doesn't have Legends units which is very frustrating

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I’m still mad that Deathwatch Terminators are twenty points more than Deathwing Terminators.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I always recommend Newrecruit, it works well without too steep a learning curve.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Shoehead posted:

I hope you did not catch any mystery ebay illmesses, feel better soon!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Maneck posted:

Previously they were both built with the same kit. The bodies had DA iconography and were shared between the units, but with different army and head options. Deathwing Terminators were equipped the same as other terminators, plus the option of a plasma cannon. Deathwing Knights used maces and a flail. Rules wise, Deathwing Terminators were also allowed to mix melee and ranged weapons which other terminators were not.

I was half-hoping that the terminator plasma cannon or apocethary bits might make it into the regular terminator but that was wishful thinking on my part

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Shoehead posted:

Well, it could be a reaction to particulates from sanding, maybe a reaction to the various esters that were on/used on the model, or covid from a different source and the timing just matched when working on the Taurox.

In any case I always recommend a good mask and gloves (I work with a lot of resin models so this poo poo scares me). I hope you feel better.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Captain Magic posted:

I’m still mad that Deathwatch Terminators are twenty points more than Deathwing Terminators.

They're 10 points more for a squad of 5 but Deathwatch can take 3 Terminator heavy weapons, so they're basically just straight up better than Deathwing.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Well with impeccable timing to coincide with both the announcement of the NL upgrade sprue and the assault marines for 30k, I've finished my Night Lord Raptor squad project of turning regular Legionaries into Raptors that are a bit less thin and jumping-in-the-air'y. Main goal was just to get a bit better at kit bashing and I'm satisfied with how they came out, waiting on my buddy to print some bits and then I think I'll expand this into a full 10.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

The Demilich posted:

Well, it could be a reaction to particulates from sanding, maybe a reaction to the various esters that were on/used on the model, or covid from a different source and the timing just matched when working on the Taurox.

In any case I always recommend a good mask and gloves (I work with a lot of resin models so this poo poo scares me). I hope you feel better.

From what happened to me I think I had real bad food poisoning. I also drenched that drat thing in alcohol. So I probably got it earlier and then just happened to be dismantling a cursed object for a few hours before it hit..

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those HH Assault Marines look pretty awesome. I like the plain storm shields

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It's interesting that the heresy assault marines have grounded poses, meanwhile 40k assault marines are kickflipping themselves off of the nearest convenient rubble.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

almost certainly not. event books like this have some faction-specific stuff but it's rarely the missions, and they almost always have some reason for every faction to be third-partying in it.

Athas posted:

This is a great concept! It's creative and funny, without just being slapstick. I'm also a big fan of mydudes.txt, but since I collect Custodes for now, it's a bit tricky to come up with something very unusual that isn't just random. My concept is based on the idea of a band of Custodes who were predicted by the Imperial Tarot to be associated with death and tragedy in the future (scrying-based government policy is great). This obviously makes them a pretty poor fit for bodyguard duty, through no fault of their own, but their job is now to stay as far away from anything important as possible. They do this by commandeering a hapless Rogue Trader vessel (which I'm incorporating by using Imperial Agents allies in my army) and just loving around in a depressed state near the edges of the Imperium.

i love it. the rogue trader's crew all humoring the custodes' habit of writing grim, intensely depressing poetry about the inevitability of death. it's worth it because these guys don't ask for a share and are much more effective than mercenaries. it's worth it. it's worth it. it's worth it, right?

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's interesting that the heresy assault marines have grounded poses, meanwhile 40k assault marines are kickflipping themselves off of the nearest convenient rubble.

the 30k assault squad struck me as really heavy and static. they do not need to be zooming around midair but about half of the poses are feet flat on the ground, knees braced. i guess it is cool if you like jump pack guys who are just marines who happen to have jump packs.

also it's another release that is not a troops unit with chainswords despite melee being the gimmick of like half the legions in 30K. i am gonna keep complaining about this because they had a unit like that and they loving discontinued it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's cause 30k is supposed to be for very serious people carefully painting unit insignias of their favourite chapter of the founding legions while 40k is for people who wanna slap paint on things and roll some dice, baby!!