Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

hazed glam
Jun 11, 2018
you can just adblock the youtude popup that bitches about using adblock with ublock origin block element, then everything is fine

prob solved you can gas the thread now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zero VGS posted:

I mean like an option to check on your own end, every 15 minutes or so. Counting from the second you enable it, so everyone isn't doing a request at the same moment in time.

Ublock origin autoupdates filter lists every hour by default, but you might have to relaunch your browser and then wait for a cooldown timer:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Advanced-settings
ctrl+f for update in this settings list to the options you can set.

edit: yeah looks like the default is to not interupt the plugin when an update takes place, so you have to enable/disable it or reset your browser:

"extensionUpdateForceReload
Default: false.

uBO 1.23.0 and above.

If set to true, restores update behavior from before 1.22.3b ("Prevent uBO from being reloaded mid-session "), the extension will unconditionally reload when an update is available; otherwise, the extension will reload only when being explicitly disabled then enabled, or when the browser is restarted."

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 16, 2023

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Animal-Mother posted:

Lane tries to commit suicide with the exhaust from his car before realizing it's a Tesla.

so he just drives it

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
is there not a script that can just update ubo's lists so i dont have to do it manually?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
uBO updates them every 12 hours, you only need to update manually if YouTube has updated their blocking in the time between your filters updating.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Vampess posted:

They did change to Manifest V3, but the big thing was that they wouldn't have backwards compatibility with V2, which has the Web Request stuff that adblockers use. But afaik, they've delayed removing V2 functionaiity indefinitely.

I had honestly kind of forgotten about that, I wonder if/when they'll push for that again.

Welp, that didn't take long. Apparently there's a Ublock Lite based on MV3, but it's not as good as Origin, due to the limitations of MV3.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I wanna hear from the people who are like "actually corporations deserve our money, it's good to pay to be a product, the people actually making the stuff we enjoy don't deserve fair compensation". They're always a riot.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I was dumb and panic dl'd uBo, when all I needed to do was refresh and decache AdNauseum, and this is from someone who watches Yt so rarely, (YTDLP rocks my world forever though).
Also yeah I'm also looking forwards to the next instalment of "here's why a multibillionaire panopticon gouging more money from us, or trying to is good"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Vampess posted:

Welp, that didn't take long. Apparently there's a Ublock Lite based on MV3, but it's not as good as Origin, due to the limitations of MV3.
I want to know, do these Senior Dev people browse the internet themselves without ad blockers?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Croccers posted:

I want to know, do these Senior Dev people browse the internet themselves without ad blockers?
Forgot to re-enable my ad blocker yesterday and got a quick glimpse of the current state of online advertising

(Photovoltaic: This is the most expensive mistake people make)

I don't have a house or any idea who could possibly benefit from me seeing this crap between news articles.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

GABA ghoul posted:

Forgot to re-enable my ad blocker yesterday and got a quick glimpse of the current state of online advertising

(Photovoltaic: This is the most expensive mistake people make)

I don't have a house or any idea who could possibly benefit from me seeing this crap between news articles.

Don't doxx the avatar of my next Baldur's Gate 3 run

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
war

gradenko_2000 posted:

This has been a long time coming but the finish line is finally in view:

https://twitter.com/vxunderground/status/1725290175419277450

we already knew this was coming since at least 2021 and I've been on Firefox in anticipation for years but it's finally coming into full view

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thx for the heads up, Google :byewhore:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does that also mean there won't be alternatives immediately?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

So what you're saying is you don't want me to use gmail google? Of course I'm still going to because changing my accounts seems like a huge chore but it's becoming more and more tempting.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 18, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Ok, I'll switch to firefox then.

You won google.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Bye bye Google.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i'm only using bbs boards and telnet will this affect me

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Are there any interesting Mozilla based browsers out there besides Firefox that are worth using? I seem to remember those being around years ago. I used K-Meleon for awhile years ago and liked it. I'm shocked to see it's still around, although the updates seem infrequent.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Uh, did Google Identity ever fix their poo poo and get things working with Manifest V3, or are we going to have a bunch of impersonation issues whenever Google's management forces this loving thing to rollout next year? Last I heard it was still only really functioning with MV2.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Are there any interesting Mozilla based browsers out there besides Firefox that are worth using? I seem to remember those being around years ago. I used K-Meleon for awhile years ago and liked it. I'm shocked to see it's still around, although the updates seem infrequent.

I use librefox

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I've been trying out Firefox on my laptop the last week and... it's poo poo on it.
It's an old arse Sony Vaio (It has an easily removeable battery!) but Firefox caused it to keep the fans running non-stop, refused to go into Sleep mode and would constantly freeze up for minutes at a time.
Chrome doesn't behave like that at all on this. Memory hog Chrome. I don't get it :confused:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Why do you need an "interesting" browser? Shouldn't "boring but works well" be the requirement?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Saw some nice ads today. Haven't seen them before. Was pretty entertaining. One of them repeated later but I successfully tuned it out and got some meditation time in. Anybody else doing this?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why do you need an "interesting" browser? Shouldn't "boring but works well" be the requirement?

I just meant if there's anything that's like Firefox but with more advantages.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Lpzie posted:

Saw some nice ads today. Haven't seen them before. Was pretty entertaining. One of them repeated later but I successfully tuned it out and got some meditation time in. Anybody else doing this?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's incredible how much worse the user experience is with ads.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

atomicpile posted:

I use librefox

Thanks! I'm giving it a try.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
everyone should be using BRAVE, the SECURE browser from the guy who invented JavaScript and is a massive homophobe, nevermind

Use OPERA GX instead, the gamer browser!! use code RLSTINE for exclusive fortnite skins

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow. That was super easy to import just about everything from Chrome to Firefox. Took like 5 seconds.

To be honest, the only reason I switched from Firefox to Chrome was in 2010 when I got a job at Google and that's what they had so I just got used to it and switched at home. Back then I think FF still had memory leak issues and it was a hog on resources in general.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Somebody who understands the computers and onlines, if Google blocks these functions, will it also affect the other chromium browsers, or is that something that can be circumvented

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

edit: i misread that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Somebody who understands the computers and onlines, if Google blocks these functions, will it also affect the other chromium browsers, or is that something that can be circumvented

It's their own business, they're gonna bake that poo poo in so hard it'll be easier to start from scratch.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

R.L. Stine posted:

everyone should be using BRAVE, the SECURE browser from the guy who invented JavaScript and is a massive homophobe, nevermind

Use OPERA GX instead, the gamer browser!! use code RLSTINE for exclusive fortnite skins

brave also does coin poo poo.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't read one way or the other but extensions feels like an integral part of the browser, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't on the chromium level.

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

If that's the case, I'll be sad to lose Arc but Firefox and others based on it should be fine so long as I don't lose my mouse/swipe gestures. Ads are never the way.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I have misplaced hope that this overreach by Google sees the popularity of Chrome plummet

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

R.L. Stine posted:

Don’t forget the built in crypto wallet with its own shitcoin!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Thanks Ants posted:

I have misplaced hope that this overreach by Google sees the popularity of Chrome plummet

:pray:

I like to see people suffer consequences from their actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, we do not appear to live in a world where that happens to the worst offenders.