Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

redshirt posted:

I'd argue going deep underwater AKA James Cameron is more cope.

There's nothing happening at the bottom of the ocean.

I mean no one is pretending the bottom of the ocean will solve all our problems. They are doing it for shits and giggles and that’s more honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

how would extracting resources in space save the earth exactly

you're either going to use them somewhere else in space - doesn't help earth much

or you're going to bring them back to earth and use them here - creating by-products and pollutants

we're also not going to stop extracting anything on earth if we did that, it would just be supplemental to what we're extracting here

sci-fi brain is accurate. none of that poo poo is ever going to happen, and if it did, it doesn't help anything

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yep, a handful of people surviving is significantly more ideal than the entire species being wiped out.

Is it though?

We are very, very clearly a flawed species. We don't have to go on forever. We clearly don't even deserve it.

And nowadays I'm extremely concerned about people crusading for the continuation of the "human race" at all costs. People can do horrible poo poo when they'll zealously do anything for that to happen.

Gotta break a few eggs (us) to make an omelette (the very few fortunate) right?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Rare miss for the Bee

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Elviscat posted:

:fap::fap::fap: big rocket space cool :circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
this unironically

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

We don't have problems on earth because of a lack of resources, or a difficulty in extracting them responsibly or whatever. All our problems are entirely political and no technology will solve them.

As for the second point of the survival of the species, if the bulk of humanity has to die, what consolation is it that a handful of people may survive on some rock somewhere? What is it compared to the billions who would be forsaken? Are those supposed to be happy about this abstract bullshit of the human race going on etc.? Lol. Besides, if we can't survive on the planet we evolved on, we can't survive, period.

If a comet wiped out virtually all of life on earth and the remaining 100 human survivors lived underground for a century eating cockroaches, their counterparts on Mars Colony would pine for their quality of life.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Three Olives posted:

There are significant questions if SpaceX reusable model actually saves any money, it actually maybe costs more? According to SpaceX own numbers it maybe, maybe saves a couple of million per launch and their refurbishment time and cost is absolutely nowhere near where they promised it would be by now.

Also:

SpaceX is being entire subsidized by Starlink right now and Starlink is absolute useless crap. The SpaceX/Starlink/Starship entanglement is entirely circular financially bullshit and I would not be surprised if we find out it was all fraudulent accounting.

You don’t gotta hand it to musk and maybe internet in rural areas is better in other parts of the world than in Australia but Starlink has been great where I am, at least compared to the alternative options available.

I guess the microwave connection to a local phone tower was pretty good until some trees grew too tall and blocked the signal. But once that started loving up Starlink was way better than satellite NBN.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

These idiots would rather try to make us into computers than try to curb climate change.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Manganese nodules

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

That $250k ad spend by the bee will surely make up for the lost revenue of Apple, Disney, Lionsgate, Warner Bros, Comcast, Paramount, Sony, et al.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ben shapino posted:

how would extracting resources in space save the earth exactly

you're either going to use them somewhere else in space - doesn't help earth much

or you're going to bring them back to earth and use them here - creating by-products and pollutants

we're also not going to stop extracting anything on earth if we did that, it would just be supplemental to what we're extracting here

sci-fi brain is accurate. none of that poo poo is ever going to happen, and if it did, it doesn't help anything

Indeed. I agree with many of your points.

The next step of human evolution is what we're ultimately talking about. Moving on/past our birth world. Can we do it? We could, we should, but.....

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Yeah

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

redshirt posted:

Indeed. I agree with many of your points.

The next step of human evolution is what we're ultimately talking about. Moving on/past our birth world. Can we do it? We could, we should, but.....

No We Should Not

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Space travel is just crypto for the even more deranged

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If a comet wiped out virtually all of life on earth and the remaining 100 human survivors lived underground for a century eating cockroaches, their counterparts on Mars Colony would pine for their quality of life.

Really puts it perspective, right?

But it won't.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

gay picnic defence posted:

You don’t gotta hand it to musk and maybe internet in rural areas is better in other parts of the world than in Australia but Starlink has been great where I am, at least compared to the alternative options available.

I guess the microwave connection to a local phone tower was pretty good until some trees grew too tall and blocked the signal. But once that started loving up Starlink was way better than satellite NBN.

Starlink doesn't scale, I'm not surprised that right now it is possibly an improved experience for you however the money would have been much better spent on a better microwave link to you personally.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twiitter.com/MattGertz/status/1725713388351729899?s=20

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Gaylor Moon posted:

It's just such a dick-waving ego thing for him. This probably just sounds like ignorant leftist speak but, wait for it, what if this dude actually did put his money toward fixing the problems we have here on the planet; helping actually impoverished people get food, clean water and not having to worry about their day to day in just a simple ways. I know the obvious is "because it won't make him money" but it really just does feel disgusting to me. It's all about ego for him and god forbid he actually use all that wealth to actually help humanity in any tangible way.

He literally offered to sell $6 billion of Tesla stock and put it toward ending global hunger if anyone could show how it could actually be accomplished. The UN gave him a complete plan to do so and he immediately backed out of his offer.

He's a gigantic piece of poo poo, OP

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

...! posted:

He literally offered to sell $6 billion of Tesla stock and put it toward ending global hunger if anyone could show how it could actually be accomplished. The UN gave him a complete plan to do so and he immediately backed out of his offer.

you can't solve world hunger everyone is just going to get hungry again

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ben shapino posted:

you can't solve world hunger everyone is just going to get hungry again

neuralink fixes this

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slowly suffocating in my billionaire space habitat floating above a dead planet.

"I secured the existence of our people and a future for, uh, all? children"

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
If Musk wanted to be the god king with people fawning at his feet, then dumping heavy cash into sustaining fusion power would of got this status. But nah, big rockets and stupid grandiose stuff makes his tiny chode dick look big to him.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Three Olives posted:

In exactly what way? What inherent value have we created on earth that should be duplicated on other planets?

That's not an answerable question because it's rooted in explicit nihilism. Any answer will inherently be flawed simply because it's easy to go "lol nothing matters" to it. So I would say that any rational response is that it is inherently more beneficial and moral that we continue the survival of the species than not.

I'm very pro-space development and that's not really a point of view anyone can really sway me away from. Infact I think it's the superior moral and economic road we should take rather than a military industrial complex.

quote:

This is 100% never ever happening stop watching Sci f

Literally anyone saying that survival in space is fundamentally "impossible" is taking a mighty leap of faith. It's more accurate to say that with our current level of technology and space development it wouldn't be possible. This is an extremely new area of research. With increased space development would necessitate the need for increased funding and research into space medicine as well as other potential technologies.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tai posted:

If Musk wanted to be the god king with people fawning at his feet, then dumping heavy cash into sustaining fusion power would of got this status. But nah, big rockets and stupid grandiose stuff makes his tiny chode dick look big to him.

The rockets are pretty good actually!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

...! posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know it was the loving UN that made the plan.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Starlink doesn't scale, I'm not surprised that right now it is possibly an improved experience for you however the money would have been much better spent on a better microwave link to you personally.

The carbon cost is insane, due to how many satellites it takes to fill a constellation, and their short orbital life span.

Same greasy loving nerds think it's cool they can get broadband through a satellite dish, so let's excuse 'ol Musky again.

The Kessler Syndrome imminentization is bad for their pet hobby too.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Tai posted:

lmao at applying the 'move fast and break things' mantra to nuclear power generation

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

With increased space development would necessitate the need for increased funding and research into space medicine.

Okay, you're trolling, right?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sorry, space trolling.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't know it was the loving UN that made the plan.

UN to Elon Musk: Here’s that $6 billion plan to fight world hunger

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/tech/elon-musk-world-hunger-wfp-donation/index.html

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's not an answerable question because it's rooted in explicit nihilism.

It's not nihilism at all. It's objective reality that we, as a species, are destroying an entire planet in real time and we are now experiencing those consequences every day.

It's pretty easy to assume with our history that whatever planet we go to next, we will kill. That's what we do.

:shrug:

I love space exploration btw. I want more of it and it's great and has given us countless technologies that benefit every single human life and we should do it as much as we can but in the year 2023, you gotta be pretty dense to think that humanity is going to last into the far future. We have too many flaws.

The biggest one by an order of magnitude...

Greed.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

increased funding and research into space medicine

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

kru posted:

The camera on the two people yelling WOOOW WOOOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPhXKak_bHw

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Him refusing to do it is almost certainly in large part because it would help too many brown people

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

mannerup posted:

lmao at applying the 'move fast and break things' mantra to nuclear power generation

Throwing money at it and staying on the otherside of the planet from having anything to do it with it obviously lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Sorry, space trolling.

You ever been to Ceres?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Seriously where do these ppl think food, supplies, medicines are coming from to keep alive the handful of post apocalyptic human survivors they’re imagining

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Elon is probably the best example of why billionaires should not exist. No one person should have that much money. He really should be taxed down to a net worth of "merely" millions of dollars but that'll never happen for as long as Republicans have any kind of power whatsoever

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Juul-Whip posted:

Seriously where do these ppl think food, supplies, medicines are coming from to keep alive the handful of post apocalyptic human survivors they’re imagining

Space.

Space Medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Space.

Space Medicine.

It doesn't exist yet, but we'll necessitate a need for it.