Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

*bravely* They should do an adaptation of the comic where he loves his wife’s kitty cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I should watch the Tomie movies, I am a fan of Tomie she is a role model of mine and taught me to be persistent and never give up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

*bravely* They should do an adaptation of the comic where he loves his wife’s kitty cats

Nothing brave about this, they absolutely should

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Honestly one of my favorite series of his

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have now seen Terrifier 2. Good lord did that movie need an editor, it was an all-timer at 105 minutes but there's whole-rear end scenes that could be cut and lose nothing, and checking my watch is the last thing you want your audience to be doing.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Holy poo poo, Saltburn was so loving good. I went in knowing basically nothing except the main actor and it being the 2nd film of the director of Promising Young Woman.

Definitely my favorite movie of the year by a large margin. Gave me similar vibes to Killing of a Sacred Deer for obvious reasons, which I also loved.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

I have now seen Terrifier 2. Good lord did that movie need an editor, it was an all-timer at 105 minutes but there's whole-rear end scenes that could be cut and lose nothing, and checking my watch is the last thing you want your audience to be doing.

Half the fun is it’s super indulgent

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would love to make this movie.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I watched Exists, a found footage bigfoot movie recommended by Basebf55. It was good! Most striking moments to me were when the characters would hear a haunting, unnatural wail off in the distance, like wtf is that?? Super creepy. And when the bigfoot decided to throw down, poo poo got serious. What do you do when there's an enraged, super strong animal after you? The characters themselves were beyond unbearable dipshit college types, but the action was good. Check it out.

(that's a bigfoot I swear)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Megasabin posted:

Holy poo poo, Saltburn was so loving good. I went in knowing basically nothing except the main actor and it being the 2nd film of the director of Promising Young Woman.

Definitely my favorite movie of the year by a large margin. Gave me similar vibes to Killing of a Sacred Deer for obvious reasons, which I also loved.

Where's it available? I've been looking forward to this one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw the trailer today and I’m intrigued

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't really like promising young woman at all but maybe second time's a charm

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Shrecknet posted:

I felt the same way. I loved the original for being dumb exploitive fun but the sequel really had a lot of fat that felt counter to that spirit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Where's it available? I've been looking forward to this one

I saw it in theaters. Not sure if that’s a NYC only thing or wide release. Was happy to see it was a packed theater.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I read/heard some criticism that the movie has a tendency to overexplain itself. Did you find that to be true?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I didn't really like promising young woman at all but maybe second time's a charm

the "cops to the rescue" of it did a lot to undermine the whole thing for me, especially for the story it was telling

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Both are good, well made movies with some flaws, I'd still recommend both of her films highly with the less known about the better for both.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Going into Saltburn blind must really be good, given I've seen the trailer dozens of times before other movies and I had no clue it's even a horror/thriller.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I didn't realize Saltburn was a horror either.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Shrecknet posted:

*me in the audience leaning over to check Schrecknet's watch*

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

anatomi posted:

I read/heard some criticism that the movie has a tendency to overexplain itself. Did you find that to be true?

Short answer: Yes, that is one flaw, but it does come with a significant payoff.

Longer answer I am spoiling even though it includes no specific spoilers and just describes a general film structure thing, but still better for people who want to go in completely blind:

I wouldn't call it a tendency rather than one specific decision that does affect the pacing of the film, but ultimately has an incredible payoff. I actually did literally feel "Oh they are overexplaining" and then during the payoff scene "Ok, Ill take this tradeoff".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly thought Promising Young Woman was actively and energetically terrible, stupid, cruel, misguided, and possibly one of the worst scripts I'd encountered that year, with almost all of its violence and punishment reserved for women... but hey some people like a woman getting herself into attempted rapes for x??? years so she can give a guy some really snappy one liners and talk like a bad thinkpiece. Imo it's the ultimate liberal white woman yaas queen movie complete with the absolutely predictable Britney Spears needledrop and as mentioned earlier a message that begins by pointing out that authorities are ignoring violence against women and then ends with the main character being brutally murdered (after the director asked her cop dad how long it would take irl and filmed it for that long) which is supposed to be a triumph somehow because she got evidence out to...the authorities....

See also:
https://ayeshaasiddiqi.substack.com/p/id-like-this-to-stop-praise-for-a

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Honestly thought Promising Young Woman was actively and energetically terrible, stupid, cruel, misguided, and possibly one of the worst scripts I'd encountered that year, with almost all of its violence and punishment reserved for women... but hey some people like a woman getting herself into attempted rapes for x??? years so she can give a guy some really snappy one liners and talk like a bad thinkpiece. Imo it's the ultimate liberal white woman yaas queen movie complete with the absolutely predictable Britney Spears needledrop and as mentioned earlier a message that begins by pointing out that authorities are ignoring violence against women and then ends with the main character being brutally murdered (after the director asked her cop dad how long it would take irl and filmed it for that long) which is supposed to be a triumph somehow because she got evidence out to...the authorities....

See also:

I agree!

I hope this new movie is Not That, given the praise it's getting, but I will have to wait and see.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My take on the end of promising young woman is that the authorities only care once there's more than one body, and only after every bit of evidence is hand wrapped delivered to them. I didn't really see it as a triumphant ending tho.

I initially gave it a 4/5 but I do admit seeing a lot of the criticisms of it softened by opinion quite a bit.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Punkin Spunkin posted:

See also:

Yeah I really hated that the plot resolution required the protagonist to be murdered in order to get her "victory". Bleah.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I think those are all very valid reads. To me it's a powerful movie about the systems that are supposed to protect us failing at every possible turn, leaving us with nothing but a (very unhealthy) fantasy. The end isn't a triumph as much as it's inevitable (and it clearly shouldn't be, in a better world.) The whole thing is very deeply nihilistic and angry but it mostly works because Carey Mulligan is so good.

I don't personally think there's a single thing in the movie that makes her feel like a "girlboss character."

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I initially gave it a 4/5 but I do admit seeing a lot of the criticisms of it softened by opinion quite a bit.

this was my exact trajectory, I think I’m at a 2 now lol

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You can't promise a cathartic revenge movie and then yank the catharsis out from under the audience.

For good revenge, see Revenge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I saw Thanksgiving; it did a very good job with its unique slasher-flick-but-it's-thanksgiving-instead premise, the cast is game, and it was entertaining throughout, but... it felt like Eli Roth was holding back and I don't know why. It's an R-rated movie that's edited like it's PG-13, that's the best way I can describe it -- there are some fun, gnarly kills, but the camera tends to cut away immediately after (or even before) impact, and it all happens so fast. I genuinely have no idea how the first kill even happened, it seemed like the car tapped that woman and her entire top half went blasting off like Team Rocket for no apparent reason. There's also the meat carver on the security guy that seems to travel on a straight line out of nowhere and propelled by nothing, and the killer has both a real gun and a (semi-automatic?) dart gun, and I genuinely couldn't tell who was being shot by what.

Also, where's the gratuitous nudity, Roth, I thought we were doing genre here. (Although admittedly, the cheerleader-on-trampoline kill is a lot more inventive here than in the Grindhouse trailer.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Fine I will watch Promising Young Woman and form an opinion about it despite wanting to avoid watching it because I have a baseline distaste for revenge films made in a post Lady Vengeance world.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah for me it's just like...taking away the revenge catharsis in a film that was clearly trying to ride #metoo, rage over Kavanaugh/Brock Turner at the time, etc, and then have it so the cruelest poo poo happens to women one being tricked into thinking she was raped. Yaas queen!! and comparatively no men suffer really. That's not a clever subversion, that's just loving stupid and cruel. So of course it won the academy award for best original screenplay lol. She toggles on realism selectively and always in service of the worst decisions, like oh yeah let's make sure this death scene lasts exactly as long as my cop dad said it would but also this lady's going to just get fingers jammed in her mouth for years and almost assaulted so she can mildly admonish creepy dudes.
Anyway that's enough of me ranting. I'm looking forward to give her second movie a chance (although Promising Young Woman is still highly acclaimed in general so I dunno how hopeful I am that the buzz over saltburn means anything).

Also finally saw the last Blair Witch. I thought it was fine? Obviously it's not deserving of the Blair Witch label, and that's not a movie that needed any sequels...but it felt like an above average found footage film you might find on tubi. I guess thats not high praise but it was fine, the body horror element was totally unexpected and definitely made me squirm the most.
I'm not criticizing the characters' actions (honestly it's understandable) but it's funny to me that basically everyone is Lot's wife. "WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TURN AROUND...wait is that you Gregg? You're okay??! And directly behind me?!?:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Fine I will watch Promising Young Woman and form an opinion about it despite wanting to avoid watching it because I have a baseline distaste for revenge films made in a post Lady Vengeance world.

here's a cheat code no one will tell you: you can form an opinion on a movie without watching it. i do it all the time.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

here's a cheat code no one will tell you: you can form an opinion on a movie without watching it. i do it all the time.

Agreed. If a Dracula is in it, the movie is good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I picked up the Arrow box set with Arena, Robot Jox, Dolls, Cellar Dweller and The Dungeonmaster. What's my viewing priority?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I finally watched X today and enjoyed it quite a bit, but goddamn if its not the darkest movie I've watched in a long time. There were entire scenes I could barely make out what was happening. I thought it might be my TV at first but everything else looks fine and the daylight scenes of the film look good too so I guess it was just shot that way.

I am looking forward to Pearl next regardless.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I think those reads on Promising Young Woman are reading the end as more triumphant than I think it's intended to our protagonist is literally dead i.e. the loss of another promising young woman, and it takes extreme lengths for the police to have caught up to the evidence. It's bittersweet and a kind of posthumous last laugh for our character but hardly a pro cop happy victory. Also while I am firmly on the side of many of the political movements today about the problems with the police force, dismissing any movie where police arresting someone is used as a plot device because ACAB is going to lead to a lot of dismissive and boring readings of movies

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What's even bittersweet about it? Where's the sweet?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

the perpetrators don't get away scott free.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

the perpetrators don't get away scott free.

I think a lot of the criticism is because we don’t know that and based on the premise of the entire movie, the ending is implied to be opposite of that.

(Sorry for the vague posting. Trying to respect spoilers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Agreed. If a Dracula is in it, the movie is good.

Even if it’s Dracula’s second cousin, Ron Dracula? Who is not a vampire and collects stamps