Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoStoryHouseCat
Aug 30, 2023

Meanwhile I'm completely satisfied with the Steam OS 3.5 color changes on my LCD, the new color balance makes it feel just like an OLED screen. Right guys? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

DourCricket posted:

Tracking updated, getting my LE on Tuesday even though I ordered it an hour and a half late

Debating what my first games will be - RE2R has hdr right? I have an hdr monitor but I've never been able to make it look good even with hours of tweaking so this'll be my first go with it

the newly released Half Life 1 will be my first game. weird that they have the hubris to slap a 1 on it like it's gonna get a sequel

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Mr. Crow posted:

anyone know where these ship from?

Mine was Addison, IL (Chicago). I dunno if they have other warehouses though, but I'm pretty close in the midwest.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Well, got a tracking number for the new LE but now my OG deck is having some difficulties after installing the 3.5 update, keeps getting stuck at the boot up screen. I was planning on doing a factory reset and giving it to my brother as a Christmas gift anyway but not quite this soon...

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away I suppose.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Well, got a tracking number for the new LE but now my OG deck is having some difficulties after installing the 3.5 update, keeps getting stuck at the boot up screen. I was planning on doing a factory reset and giving it to my brother as a Christmas gift anyway but not quite this soon...

The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away I suppose.

You can always reinstall the OS from an SD card or a flash drive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, the Deck shows an OS update available on the RC channel (3.5.6 Beyond Stable?) but I get an error when I try to apply it. Rebooting didn't resolve it. I hope I didn't screw stuff up somehow!

Edit: same effect on the Stable channel. worry...

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Suburban Dad posted:

Mine was Addison, IL (Chicago). I dunno if they have other warehouses though, but I'm pretty close in the midwest.

Mine (512GB OLED) is shipping from Ontario, CA, USA (that's California, not Canada) to the Seattle area. Expected arrival date is Friday the 24th :negative:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TwoStoryHouseCat posted:

Meanwhile I'm completely satisfied with the Steam OS 3.5 color changes on my LCD, the new color balance makes it feel just like an OLED screen. Right guys? :shepface:

please do not post sad cope like this

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

harrygomm posted:

the newly released Half Life 1 will be my first game. weird that they have the hubris to slap a 1 on it like it's gonna get a sequel

Was considering it, but I still haven't played Black Mesa and I don't think they added HDR. Would still be appropriate though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black mesa isn’t as good

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Mine (512GB OLED) is shipping from Ontario, CA, USA (that's California, not Canada) to the Seattle area. Expected arrival date is Friday the 24th :negative:

Still waiting on 'packaged items' here, though it's heartening to know that I might get my Deck shipped from a place substantially closer to my house than some warehouse in Illinois

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Black mesa isn’t as good

What’s the difference?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black mesa is a “remake” in the vein of the recent resident evil remakes in that it’s nowhere near a 1:1 recreation of the original, it’s more of a reimagining.
Black mesa in particular is different enough where for me it’s just not a replacement for playing half life

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if I were doing a mad magazine parody I'd call it "blech mesa." thank you for reading my post I hope you enjoyed it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Black mesa isn’t as good

yeah its better

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Eh no peg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mfers really thought they knew better than valve smdh

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I've never played any half life game except alyx. That was almost too scary for my cowardly rear end but I finished it. I'm fine leaving them in my blindspot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’d be embarrassed admitting that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I was reading an article about adding a kickstand to the deck and the author was implying that even if they didn't have an external controller, that they would use the deck's built-in controls, while on the table, as it's propped up by the kickstand, just to take the weight off their arms

Does anyone play like that? It seems awkward

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I suspend my deck from the ceiling with a system of pullies that is, quite frankly, far more complicated than it needs to be

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Black mesa is actually much better than the original because Xen doesn't suck rear end.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was reading an article about adding a kickstand to the deck and the author was implying that even if they didn't have an external controller, that they would use the deck's built-in controls, while on the table, as it's propped up by the kickstand, just to take the weight off their arms

I do sometimes - I use this 3D printed clip-on kickstand design: https://www.printables.com/model/167650-steam-deck-clip-on-stand

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never played any half life game except alyx. That was almost too scary for my cowardly rear end but I finished it. I'm fine leaving them in my blindspot.

I never played Alyx but I beat Resident Evil 7 in VR and it scared the bajeebus out of me.

Can you imagine if they made alien isolation VR, that would get my heart moving through the roof.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rolo posted:

Can you imagine if they made alien isolation VR, that would get my heart moving through the roof.

There's a mod for it, and it's terrifying.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just fyi

If you're having mic troubles
I feel bad for you, son
I just got 3.5.6 (preview) build
Now I'm talkin' to someone

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

sigher posted:

There's a mod for it, and it's terrifying.

Oh god why did I even ask.

poo poo I have a quest 2 in the closet. poo poo.

What do you even do when a face hugger jumps at you? Just freak out??

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't handle Alien Isolation normally... In VR I would surely poo poo myself.

Fantastically made game, but goddamn...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You basically just poo poo yourself the whole time. You can find it here: https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases

The guy ended up getting hired at 343 Studios or something and never got around it giving it proper VR controls so it's VR KB/Mouse or Controller but it's still great. You truly get a sense of the scale of the Alien and it's crazy big when it ducks under doors into rooms.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

nursing gaming pillow, friend

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Gonna get my rubber pants on and try that mod next time I have some time off.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
So if I have no relation to the outdoors or sunlight in general, I shouldn't bother with the anti glare version? Based on some of the first looks it seems like the 512gb OLED is more vibrant in general

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if I were doing a mad magazine parody I'd call it "blech mesa." thank you for reading my post I hope you enjoyed it

I did! thanks :)

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

New deck who dis

E: imagine it right side up. Imgur...

E2: the touch screen is night and day better, holy poo poo. It's like any other modern device in your life and it responds correctly to inputs

This is what's selling me on the new one. I tried playing Potionomics with my Deck basically being a fancy tablet and I realized just how BAD the screen is. If it's really been upgraded to work as well as a tablet/phone then I'm sold. Nope I just gotta find someone to offload my current Deck onto.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I’d be embarrassed admitting that

Be more secure in yourself and stop caring what strangers think, haha. VR is intense when you can't just run away quickly/easily with weird teleport move controls (so you don't throw up or get dizzy) but everything in your body is telling you too. HL2 seemed neat watching people play but the beginning seems like a slog before you get the cool gravity gun. This concludes my half life opinions.

I've been on a grim dawn fix lately and they just patched it with a ton of qol things. Plays pretty great on deck at medium settings. If you like Diablo like games (but made by a developer that doesn't suck), do try it. They're even coming out with a 3rd expansion next year after many years of labor of love patches.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Anyone in Canada with an order that has progressed past "Packaged Items" (then the distributor processing backlog warning)?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Alan_Shore posted:

This dang 3.5 update has been stuck on 87% with 1 second remaining for over an hour! Should I restart or leave it alone?

Having the same issue for whatever reason but since 3.5.5 seems to still have the GPU clock dropping to 200/1040 mhz bug pop up for some people maybe it's better that I wait.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Kwolok posted:

Black mesa is actually much better than the original because Xen doesn't suck rear end.

Black Mesa Xen also sucks, just in a new and different way. I never finished the game because after 45 minutes straight of fighting the Gonarch I just did not give a gently caress anymore.

Their take on Surface Tension particularly owned though, really felt like a war going on.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Suburban Dad posted:

Alyx is probably the scariest HL game. They all have horror elements but VR heightens it and Valve exploited that for their encounter design (basically every time you get a new weapon, Jeff)

If you made it through Alyx you can definitely manage the rest of the series, if you need to just crank it down to easy and blap blap blap some Combine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Alyx is probably the scariest HL game. They all have horror elements but VR heightens it and Valve exploited that for their encounter design (basically every time you get a new weapon, Jeff)

If you made it through Alyx you can definitely manage the rest of the series, if you need to just crank it down to easy and blap blap blap some Combine

Yeah, it was the named guy that almost had me put it down. I'm not really into shooter games though which is why I haven't done the other games. I don't think the first two would scare me in the same way as VR.