Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

did anyone post the coffeezilla video about the sbf trial? he goes through it pretty good and puts up the exhibits and everything, makes a nice narrative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzko-cjHhTg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

more falafel please posted:

i can't find it now because google is useless but on usenet sci.math there was a debate over the question "is 5 a random number" for like 10 years

I wanted to find this, and thought I had stumbled upon it...

quote:

Imagine you are sitting in front of a computer screen. You are told a
number will appear on it if you press Enter but are given no information
as to how it will be generated. Just one number. 5 appears. Is 5 a
random number in this situation?

Until I noticed this "enlightened conversation" took place in alt.atheism lol

Still fun to see console wars level arguing and insulting going on by folks debating random numbers and poo poo.

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.atheism/c/w4Af3ij4ZiU/m/LwmDq5GqeNsJ

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Eeyo posted:

did anyone post the coffeezilla video about the sbf trial? he goes through it pretty good and puts up the exhibits and everything, makes a nice narrative.

i liked that he put in the effort to show up early so he could be in the actual courtroom. it gave a fresh perspective on a bunch of parts.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
just love that sammy's day in court made so many people drop everything and fly over to see it live, the event of the decade

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Eeyo posted:

why on earth would to do that, there are surely more lucrative and less easily discovered and prosecuted crimes

it starts with falling for the scam of "buying a bitcoin miner for FREE MONEY" and then realizing it loses you money for every second you have it on, it can't be easily resold, and the ASIC parts are useless for anything else
at that point your only way to get your "investment" back is to steal someone's electricity

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
remember when we used to joke about how no-one uses QR codes? turns out you still shouldn't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-67335952

quote:

Thornaby: Woman targeted in £13k train station QR code scam

A woman fell victim to fraudsters in a £13,000 train station QR code scam.

Fraudsters are thought to have covered a genuine code with one of their own in Thornaby Station's car park.

That sent her to a fake website allowing them to redirect payments and card information, resulting in the victim, 71, losing thousands of pounds.

Rail firm TransPennine Express removed all QR codes from its station car parks in September following reports of similar scams across the country.

The incident in Thornaby, north-east England, is one of about 1,200 QR scams investigated by the UK's national fraud reporting centre in just over three years.

In August the victim, who wishes to stay anonymous, used the code and, after a string of fraudulent payments were blocked by her bank, the fraudsters called her posing as bank staff.

Referencing genuine transactions, they convinced her they were legitimate and obtained enough information to run up debts of thousands in her name, including a loan of £7,500 they took out in minutes.

"It was the first time I'd ever used a QR code and I won't be using one again," she said.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the MTA uses QR codes to link to bus schedules here but the authentic ones are all behind glass

I guess that's some level of protection but you still need some level of common sense and observativeness

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

we found a QR code in Tokyo that was supposed to give multilingual instructions for something, but instead of a URL to a web page that contained the instructions they had simply encoded the instructions in plain text into the QR code itself

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Juul-Whip posted:

we found a QR code in Tokyo that was supposed to give multilingual instructions for something, but instead of a URL to a web page that contained the instructions they had simply encoded the instructions in plain text into the QR code itself

well was it multilingual, cause it might be less stupid than linking to a url, unless the instructions need to be updated I guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
yeah especially if it’s somewhere where cellular reception isn’t reliable

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
I suppose at this point it's like a very limited normal sign that doesn't work of you don't have a phone

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i went to a Ralphs and a QR code for cheese made my phone completely melt for 10 minutes

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

i went to a Ralphs and a QR code for cheese made my phone completely melt for 10 minutes

you used the fondue QR code

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alan Smithee posted:

i would simply forcibly shut down my device

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
oh why didnt think of that

oh i did think of that

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i simply would have punched the demons out of the qr code and gained the cheese knowledge for my self

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Platystemon posted:

i would simply forcibly shut down my device

that's just the 0-day special

your phone is now mining cheesecoinz

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rowkey bilbao posted:

our physical reality is lucky the sbf trial didn't take place in the bitcoin court

Maintenance will find the SBF courthouse has developed crime mines in the walls

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
they're going to regret removing those minors once they realize how cold the courtrooms are without them, and how damp their strawberries remain

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ponzicar posted:

they're going to regret removing those minors once they realize how cold the courtrooms are without them, and how damp their strawberries remain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YChWz_oow6g

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

that's so much worse than what i intended to write, but considering the average bitcoiner, still distressingly accurate

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ponzicar posted:

everyone misses the blueberries

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Crypto people all angry about an effective altruist being knocked down a peg.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/antongolub_chatgpt-maker-openai-ousts-ceo-sam-altman-activity-7131551926520791041-iUDo

They mask off immediately:

LinkedIn idiots posted:

Previous OpenAI Board members were: Elon Musk, Founder of SpaceX, Tesla, Starlink, CEO of X/Twitter Reid Hoffman, Founder of LinkedIn Will Hurd, US Presidential Candidate Shivon Zilis, Founder of Bloomberg Beta, & Director at Neuralink How is it possible that OpenAI went from having a Board with super-stars and most competent people in the world, to a Board with a bunch of nobody's that fire the Founder & CEO in coup?? You can't make this stuff up!

These aren't superstars but notably they don't mention Peter Thiel, the literal Nazi. Whoops!!

By the way, I found this guy back from that comedy interview where someone asked tough questions at a crypto conference and they crumbled.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

US Presidential Candidate Shivon Zilis

what

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

oh nevermind they just don't understand how commas work

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

4lokos basilisk posted:

i remember hearing a story about an army sergeant who got busted for selling army laptops to pay for his wow habit

so did he manage to make the $15/month or eventually go bankrupt?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lol I had to even Google who she is.

https://marketrealist.com/p/shivon-zilis-elon-musk/

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk had twins last year in secret with Neuralink executive Shivon Zilis, making Musk a father of nine"

9 cursed kids, how many for children of the corn?

lol musk: Based on the birth date, Zilis’ twins are older than Grimes’ second baby with the billionaire, who was born via a surrogate a few weeks after the twins.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 19, 2023

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i would imagine that this is extremely common at universities now

2003: warez server hidden in the ceiling
2023: buttcoin miner hidden in the ceiling next to the old warez server whose hard drives and/or power supply died years ago

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Eeyo posted:

oh nevermind they just don't understand how commas work

did you visit the page the quote was taken from? the confusion was introduced by the copy-and-paste job. there's nothing confusing about the text as it's presented in the original.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Boxturret posted:

you used the fondue QR code

the fondueR code if you will

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hammerite posted:

did you visit the page the quote was taken from? the confusion was introduced by the copy-and-paste job. there's nothing confusing about the text as it's presented in the original.

fair,

but i didn't want to visit linkedin.com

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Lol I had to even Google who she is.

https://marketrealist.com/p/shivon-zilis-elon-musk/

"Tesla CEO Elon Musk had twins last year in secret with Neuralink executive Shivon Zilis, making Musk a father of nine"

9 cursed kids, how many for children of the corn?

lol musk: Based on the birth date, Zilis’ twins are older than Grimes’ second baby with the billionaire, who was born via a surrogate a few weeks after the twins.

Oh yeah this isn't news to folks following Musk.

I'm just surprised she was on the board of OpenAI, both because she was Musk's direct subordinate, but also because she secretly had his babies.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh yeah this isn't news to folks following Musk.

I'm just surprised she was on the board of OpenAI, both because she was Musk's direct subordinate, but also because she secretly had his babies.

Musk cheating on his wives like an Action Replay? imagine my shock

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i always assumed musk reproduced via budding, or some sort of spores

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I think I've just found one of the worst things on the intersection of AI, NFTs, and religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVyzZzcK3PM

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
i watched that video all the way through and I strongly recommend that no one else does

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hammerite posted:

i watched that video all the way through and I strongly recommend that no one else does

Thanks

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JAnon posted:

Musk cheating on his wives like an Action Replay? imagine my shock

he wasn't married at the time and had already been dumped by grimes when she became his most recent ivf broodmare.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Midjack posted:

he wasn't married at the time and had already been dumped by grimes when she became his most recent ivf broodmare.

alr, guess that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Midjack posted:

or grimey, as she likes to be called