Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How do you folks feel about the open matte vs widescreen vs 4k extra widescreen version of Mask of the Phantasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

site posted:

you could have just said yes

Sorry. Came off meaner than I meant.

But yeah, HQ is just the latest instance of Tim being erased/ignored.

Dick will always be the fan favorite as the first with the most history. He got to graduate out of Robin and was the Titans leader, etc.

Jason gets to be the anti-hero with the cool helmet and leather jacket and angst and hookers and blackjack.

Damian is a literal ninja with a katana and hood and Batman’s “real” son and grandson of arguably his greatest foe.

Even Stephanie (though she arguably has it worst of all) has the distinction of being the only (canon) female Robin.

So what’s left for Tim? I guess it’s great that he’s bi now, but he’s probably the least recognizable Robin outside of Steph to most fans and I think that’s sad since I think he’s the best to do it and no it has nothing to do with him being the Robin I personally grew up with shut up

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tim's the smart one. That's always been his thing forever.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Dick will always be the fan favorite as the first with the most history. He got to graduate out of Robin and was the Titans leader, etc.

Jason gets to be the anti-hero with the cool helmet and leather jacket and angst and hookers and blackjack.

Damian is a literal ninja with a katana and hood and Batman’s “real” son and grandson of arguably his greatest foe.

Even Stephanie (though she arguably has it worst of all) has the distinction of being the only (canon) female Robin.

So what’s left for Tim? I guess it’s great that he’s bi now, but he’s probably the least recognizable Robin outside of Steph to most fans and I think that’s sad since I think he’s the best to do it and no it has nothing to do with him being the Robin I personally grew up with shut up

I have no idea if this counts but isn't it "technically" Tim in the Teen Titans cartoon? And that's up with this I got recommended the other day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMv5CCF_uU

Note: Never watched TT. I dunno, it was so popular with kids my age but I could never get into it. Maybe they use his real name a bunch in it and it's Dick but I just always heard him called Robin.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I have no idea if this counts but isn't it "technically" Tim in the Teen Titans cartoon? And that's up with this I got recommended the other day?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vMv5CCF_uU

Note: Never watched TT. I dunno, it was so popular with kids my age but I could never get into it. Maybe they use his real name a bunch in it and it's Dick but I just always heard him called Robin.

Robin never appears out of uniform in the TT cartoon and I don’t think is ever referred to by his civilian name (hell, if I remember right they don’t even mention Batman for that matter)

Come to think of it, I believe Steph’s biggest role outside the comics was in Young Justice

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 17, 2023

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Larryb posted:

Robin never appears out of uniform in the TT cartoon and I don’t think is ever referred to by his civilian name (hell, if I remember right they don’t even mention Batman for that matter)

They never say Dick but *snicker* they definitely imply it's him by using his origin, and his 5th dimension counterpart calls himself Nosyarg Kcid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

They never say Dick but *snicker* they definitely imply it's him by using his origin, and his 5th dimension counterpart calls himself Nosyarg Kcid

I forget, why couldn’t they directly reference Batman in that show again?

Also while TT was kind of all over the place tonally I will give them credit for giving us a much better version of Starfire and Deathstroke than what we had at the time (they even ditched the latter’s stupid codename and had him go by his much more imposing first name “Slade”)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 17, 2023

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Larryb posted:

Also while TT was kind of all over the place tonally I will give them credit for giving us a much better version of Starfire and Deathstroke than what we had at the time (they even ditched the latter’s stupid codename and had him go by his much more imposing first name “Slade”)

It could have been because The Batman was on around that time, I think?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

How do you folks feel about the open matte vs widescreen vs 4k extra widescreen version of Mask of the Phantasm?

I didn't even know there were different versions.

I bought the 4k but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to do that this weekend

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nanigans posted:

How about I also really like Tim (best Robin) and Damian so totally usurped his role to the point that Tim kinda had no identity for years. Is he Red Robin? Is he Drake? Was this addition necessary in any way? Hell, Tim doesn't even seem to exist in the Harley series in favor of Damian and Dick.

I'm never gonna like Damian as a concept. Though I can appreciate when writers try to make it work, I think it's a concept that's flawed from the jump.

Damian worked really really well as a counterpart to pre-teen Jon Kent in a way that Tim absolutely wouldn't have, and that got ruined when they aged up Jon. He also worked really well as Robin when Dick Grayson was Batman and that got ruined by New 52, and while I don't think for a minute they were gonna keep Dick Grayson as Batman permanently, New 52 was a pretty hasty decision from what I can tell and there was a plan for Dickbats to continue longer.

Every time there's something interesting about Damian editorial (or Bendis in the case of Jon Kent) just ruins it. Tom Taylor, if you're reading this, convince editorial to have Damian get in a massive fight with his dad and decide he should move in with his older brother in Bludhaven for a while.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Codependent Poster posted:

I didn't even know there were different versions.

I bought the 4k but haven't watched it yet. I'll have to do that this weekend

Right on, I just saw it at the store, plus I've been meaning to rewatch it for ages. Have the DVD and blu-ray, with the TAS set.

Here's a bit on it from a review:

"It's also worth noting the film is presented here in the 1.85 aspect ratio, making the 4K Ultra HD release the first time Batman: Mask of the Phantasm has been presented in its intended theatrical exhibition format on home video. This release doesn't include the 1.33:1 open matte presentation or the 1.78:1 versions from the movie's previous Blu-ray release. "

That said, I've also read it was originally made thinking it wasn't going to be theatrical, but either way the fullscreen aspect ratio isn't pan&scanned, it's open matte so you're seeing more stuff. So there's no bad version. But somebody said they think the wide versions show more in some shots as well, so it's an interesting mixed bag.

For Transformers: The Movie I gotta go classic 4:3, they cut too much good stuff out otherwise.

For Phantasm I can probably go either way, but it is interesting it'll be slightly more cropped than even the widescreen version on Blu-ray. In general I'd probably prefer they didn't do this bit of extra cropping in the 4k framing in comparison is my first thought, but I'm sure it's fine. I did see it in the theater as a kid, I assume I didn't mind the ratio. :yoshi:

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 17, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I will never forgive the Arkham games for their version of Tim.

loving never.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vandar posted:

loving never.

I haven't played it, but I watched an LP, and full agree and that's part of the reason I probably won't ever play. (The main reason is I buy way too many games on steam so I'm not going to play the majority of them).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Scott Pilgrim anime is incredible. Everyone should go watch it right now.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Vandar posted:

loving never.

I’ve never played them. What did they do? :ohdear:

Larryb posted:

It was called the Bat Embargo and involved DC (specifically writer Paul Levitz) being worried that fans were too dumb to realize there were different versions of a character appearing in different shows and movies.

So you had the DCAU having to use all of the obscure Bat-Villains like Clock King in Justice League while Joker, Two-Face and Ra’s were banned. Robin couldn’t appear in The Batman until the Teen Titans show ended.

Edit: It’s also heavily implied the TT cartoon Robin is Dick because he’s the one with the history with that version of the TT (Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, BB.)

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 17, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

It was called the Bat Embargo and involved DC (specifically writer Paul Levitz) being worried that fans were too dumb to realize there were different versions of a character appearing in different shows and movies.

So you had the DCAU having to use all of the obscure Bat-Villains like Clock King in Justice League while Joker, Two-Face and Ra’s were banned. Robin couldn’t appear in The Batman until the Teen Titans show ended.

Edit: It’s also heavily implied the TT cartoon Robin is Dick because he’s the one with the history with that version of the TT (Starfire, Raven, Cyborg, BB.)

Also the fact that as someone else mentioned there was an episode featuring an AU Robin whose name was literally “Dick Grayson” spelled backwards

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, did the cartoon redesign for Starfire ever make its way into the comics (I think it popped up again in a DCAU movie or something at least only she was taller)? I’ve always preferred that over her original look

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nanigans posted:

And Cass can kick all of their asses. :smuggo:

Anyway read Wayne Family Adventures for the actual Bat content people want.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I recall reading an interview with one of the TT producers where they said they had a Batman appearance planned but decided against it because they thought it would undermine the team's effectiveness and put Robin back in a kid sidekick role. Now whether that's the sole reason or whether there was a second reason like the Bat-embargo is up to you to decide in your head because as far as I can find, no one who's worked on the show and/or at WB has said so.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 17, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

The Scott Pilgrim anime is incredible. Everyone should go watch it right now.

Seconding this. I didn't know anything about it other than it had the original cast from the movie and I figured it would just be closer to the comics since it was a different format. So I'm very happy I went in blind.

It's a great show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I read a spoiler about it that assured I would watch it as soon as I'm home from work.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera): "Isn't that wild. The same guy playing two different versions of the same guy?"

Edit: in context Scott is talking about the two Sonic Cartoons that aired at the same time with Sonic played by Jaleel White.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 18, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

God bless Scott Pilgs

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera): "Isn't that wild. The same guy playing two different versions of the same guy?"

According to the spoiler he doesn't play him for very long!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

According to the spoiler he doesn't play him for very long!
Don't read this unless you don't care about spoilers at all, because I suspect your spoiler only spoils the first episode
he shows up again toward the end, but yes, Scott Pilgrim is in the show named after him a lot less than you would suspect.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Watched the first two eps, fun stuff! So far so good. Cool to hang out with these characters in this vibe.

I also haven't read the comic yet, on the to-read pile, so it'll be fun reading that sometime. And dig the movie of course.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I kinda can't believe Scott Pilgrim Takes Off stole its plot from He-Man: Revelations of all things.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

I kinda can't believe Scott Pilgrim Takes Off stole its plot from He-Man: Revelations of all things.

People are big mad about it for the exact same reasons.

Also that they're apparently cross the show depicts Scott as a useless idiot which, you know, say you've never read the graphic novels without saying etc.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

People are big mad about it for the exact same reasons.

Also that they're apparently cross the show depicts Scott as a useless idiot which, you know, say you've never read the graphic novels without saying etc.

It's doubly hilarious because it's not like the spoilered show where it's people long after the after the original thing come up with something in that setting. Bryan Lee O'Malley is the person who who came up with the plot and wrote the script for the show.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Nanigans posted:

All I have to do is show you a picture of him and that should answer all your questions:

Yeeeah.

He's a lunkhead with anger issues who's dating Barbara Gordon and also according to one of the tie-in comics, he does MMA on the weekends.

NOT MY TIM. :argh:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Arkham games were very fun, but they also went very hard on the whole serious grimdark Batman that can't be associated with silly or childish things, and that's a shame.

I know why that has a lot of appeal and why that type of Batman keeps getting emphasized, but it really diminishes the character.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tim in Gotham Knights was much better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Tim in Gotham Knights was much better.

I tried Gotham Knights for a bit before returning it but Tim was a bright spot. Heck, I know they aren't going to do six player characters but if they'd had Steph and Cass I might have just soldiered on anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I tried Gotham Knights for a bit before returning it but Tim was a bright spot. Heck, I know they aren't going to do six player characters but if they'd had Steph and Cass I might have just soldiered on anyway.

Yeah I doubt it ever gets a follow up, but a sequel with Cass, Steph, Kate and Damian as playable options would be fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Would have loved Cass or Damian, but they did good by the characters they had. Even lunkhead Jason was kind of endearing when interacting with the others.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I keep saying it, and I will continue to say it, this is by far the most emotionally healthy bat family. Jason is explicitly in therapy, and they all agree it's a good thing. They are all really supportive of each other, have a really good dynamic. One of the big email threads is about Dick, Babs and Jason all talking about going to Gotham's pride parade to support Tim, and if they should go as civvies or in uniform.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This Scott Pilgrim series is even better than I expected! I thought it was another, longer adaptation than the movie but it's... a re-do? A sequel? A What If...? Great title, too. Didn't get it at first.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Lobok posted:

This Scott Pilgrim series is even better than I expected! I thought it was another, longer adaptation than the movie but it's... a re-do? A sequel? A What If...? Great title, too. Didn't get it at first.

It's a Rebuild.

(Evangelion did it first (or at least was the first major notable example of doing it in recent memory) with the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Vandar posted:

It's a Rebuild.

(Evangelion did it first (or at least was the first major notable example of doing it in recent memory) with the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.

Ah cool, I only saw the original. Also reminds me of what they're doing with FF7 Remake/Rebirth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lobok posted:

Why reinvent the linguistic wheel? An adaptation, surely.