Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Today's photo quest is finding Teyvat's balls, so the easiest thing to do is go to Stormbearer and take a picture of some Valberry plants. Each of them will have 4 Valberries, so it goes pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The game is not ever difficult enough to make any character a "Must Pull". People have been showing off with low power characters since the beginning of the game. The main big difference is in the time & effort required to get to that point. Someone like Hu Tao, Ganyu, or Neuvilette require was less farming and optimizing to make big numbers than someone like Diluc.

Says you. D'you know how many wishes it took to even get Ganyu in the first place?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Stare-Out posted:

But here's an unrelated thought I had; the new craftable claymore Tidal Shadow, which gives a pretty hefty Atk boost upon being healed, seems like it could be somewhat devastating in a Diluc/Furina vape team? Has anyone crunched that at all before I go and dump billets into it?

Or an Eula/Furina team? I don't have WGS or any other good DPS claymores besides Serpent Spine so I'm desperate.
I'm pretty sure Tidal Shadow is just categorically superior to the Prototype Archaic, at least. It might be worse than the upcoming event claymore though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow holy poo poo I've been using dendro extremely wrong this entire time. I swapped Raiden to Deepwood Memories and now my Raiden/Nahida/Yelan team's melting the Icewind Suite in like 20 seconds. I had been previously running Raiden with an EM set of Emblem beforehand.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
What set is Nahida running? EM Raiden would probably be better off with Gilded Dreams or (if you can stomach farming a less efficient domain) Flower of Paradise Lost, which boost her EM or Hyperbloom reaction damage respectively. If Nahida's already running Deepwood then you probably don't need Raiden using it. If she's not, what's she on instead?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Yeah, adding deepwood to a hyperbloom comp will boost its damage a lot, but your electro trigger is absolutely the last place you should choose to put it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Note that there are perfectly good reasons not to run Deepwood on Nahida either (when focusing on her personal damage mostly), but someone on a Dendro team should definitely be using it. Some teams that run Kokomi or another healer will just put it on them to free up the EM/reaction sets for Nahida and the trigger characters. It's just important somebody has it, kinda like VV.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nakar posted:

What set is Nahida running? EM Raiden would probably be better off with Gilded Dreams or (if you can stomach farming a less efficient domain) Flower of Paradise Lost, which boost her EM or Hyperbloom reaction damage respectively. If Nahida's already running Deepwood then you probably don't need Raiden using it. If she's not, what's she on instead?

I had them backwards and can't remember any Chasm or Sumeru artifact names because I'm an idiot. Raiden has Gilded Dreams, Nahida has Deepwood Memories

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
OK yeah that should be fine then. You could also put Gilded Dreams on Nahida to increase her EM and personal damage if you felt like it, but someone else would have to use the set and Yelan... Yelan is definitely not the one who should do so. So I guess it just depends who your fourth is.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Crystalfly Trap owns

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I don't think I've quite looked forward to kicking the asses of a faction in this game as much as the Sages.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Hi, I'm a returning player after like three years. Played for a few months when the game first game out and fell off, but after playing HSR since launch and still enjoying it, figured I'd have another stab (also more downtime at work...) Last thing I remember was there being a teapot which was supposed to help make getting resources easier. (Or something. Its been awhile)

However. I am loving *lost* There's a thousand things to do and more importantly, my teams are GARBAGE. I tried doing ascension 3 just to see how my "team" would go and timed out. Struggled against the first world boss, big frost dog and clearly just have not understood the mechanics of building when I first played.

Can someone take a look at my party members and give me 1/2 teams I can use to build up on so I can start getting resources to think about progressing with any content/story. I'm aware most are hilariously undereleveled (or not at all) but just a "Use these 4" would mean I'd have some direction on who's Talents to level and who's artifacts to improve. Also find a reasonable weapon I guess. Wow I do not have a good stockpile of "stuff".

For example, I tried doing an artifact domain for lighting relics for Keqing (again just a test) and its clearly expecting me to have NOT electro dps to start with, and also a good fire interaction comp.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

To start off, Dendro is an amazing element, go to Sumeru and get the traveler Dendro-charged* as soon as possible. *Be walking around as them and go talk to one of the statues that shows the world map and heals you and choose to Resonate with Dendro.

As far as characters though
Fischl
Xiangling
Xingqiu
Bennet

Will more than carry you through things. I personally used Razor a lot when I played the game but I was going through things in order and having bad luck with getting new characters at the time. Ganyu can do absolutely incredible damage if you keep leveling her up. Diona is a great healer that also provides a decent shield if you don't feel like leveling up Jean. And my only other personal bias characters are a C2 or higher Ningguang and C6 Noelle.

There's a 'Match' button on domains that either invites people into your world or pulls you into their world for that domain so just pick a different character and do that for anything that stumps you like that artifact domain you tried to do for Keqing. Either that or there's an option on them that shows you the enemies inside and the effect that's going on too.

Lastly, there's been a new element added since you were gone. Dendro. It has its own powerful reaction called hyperbloom. You need to apply water, then dendro, then electro to the green bulbs to activate it on an enemy. Or dendro and then water after, that part can be flipped back and forth.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 19, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your team has basically no synergy at all. Superconduct (Electro + Cryo) only increases physical damage, and Xinyan doesn't apply enough pyro for Ganyu to melt (Cryo + Pyro) it. Her shield is also pretty weak.

I'd recommend Xingqiu/Xiangling/Bennett/Jean. The stats on gear don't really matter at this point, just get everyone as much ER as possible and get Jean and Bennett as much HP as possible. Xingqiu makes water swords whenever the active character attacks while his burst is active, Xiangling makes a spinny pyro attack go around the active character, grats, you're vaporizing, which does a good amount of damage. You'll also have two healers, so you aren't gonna die, and Jean can group enemies with her E.

The only real 'trick' with it is try to activate Xiangling's burst while standing in Bennett's. Bennett's burst is a big attack buff while you're standing in the circle he makes, Xiangling's burst 'snapshots,' meaning that it takes the buffs you have active when you use it into account for its entire duration, even if those buffs end. So you can for instance use it inside Bennett's burst, then leave the burst circle, and Xiangling's burst will still be running off the buff. This is part of the reason those two go so well together.

Don't worry about artifact sets the first three for now, but try to do the lowest level of the Viridescent Venerer domain to slap it on Jean. The stats don't matter, the damage increase is just extremely big.

For talents, just focus on everyone's burst. You can level the skills a bit but don't worry about the normal attacks for anyone.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

So for context, I was still footling around in Liyue, I'm going to assume I'll need to make some main story progress before unlocking Sumeru.

Also thanks for the reply, it does crack me up that the answer is "all your 5 stars? Trash. Make this 4 star team :P" Also funny you should mention E2 Nigguang, aparantly I have her at E6.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A lot of the launch 4*s (Bennett, Xiangling, Fischl, Xingqiu) are better than a lot of the 5*s in the game, and extremely universal and easy to build. Mona is a pretty specific support and Ganyu requires decent gear to get the most out of her. Once you do have decent gear, Mona and Ganyu do work really well together, at least.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Jean's healing scales with ATK, not HP, just as a heads-up. I don't think her HP factors in at all. Otherwise seconding that team suggestion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IllusionistTrixie posted:

So for context, I was still footling around in Liyue, I'm going to assume I'll need to make some main story progress before unlocking Sumeru.

Also thanks for the reply, it does crack me up that the answer is "all your 5 stars? Trash. Make this 4 star team :P" Also funny you should mention E2 Nigguang, aparantly I have her at E6.

You can just walk to Sumeru, it's not gated in any way. Inazuma is gated off, but that's the only one. Hell, you could go walk to Fontaine too if you feel like it.

Main reason we're saying not to worry about your 5 stars is that they're mostly ice or underleveled which means they'll die immediately or not work for any dendro reactions. Mona and Keqing could absolutely work together if that's something you want to pursue. Jean, Qiqi, Diona, Barbara, and Bennet could all be great healers if you want one but Diona's the only one that makes a shield too.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

You can just walk to Sumeru, it's not gated in any way. Inazuma is gated off, but that's the only one. Hell, you could go walk to Fontaine too if you feel like it.

Main reason we're saying not to worry about your 5 stars is that they're mostly ice or underleveled which means they'll die immediately or not work for any dendro reactions. Mona and Keqing could absolutely work together if that's something you want to pursue. Jean, Qiqi, Diona, Barbara, and Bennet could all be great healers if you want one but Diona's the only one that makes a shield too.

No this is fine, I just wanted a single team (even if they are currently level 1, I don't mind ginding up resources needed to get them viable) because I was just so lost but I'd clearly progressed so far into the world ascension stuff the game expects me to actually have understood the elemental reaction mechanics. Aparantly I was just brute forcing it :P

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

elemental reactions:

Pyro + Hydro: Vaporize. Multiples damage of the hit, easy to build around, most standard team. The fact there are good pyro and hydro characters in the 4* rarity like Xingqiu and Xiangling helps.

Pyro + Cryo: Melt. Also just a damage increase. Technically higher multiplier than Vaporize, but there's a lack of Cryo characters to set up melt teams as good as the vaporize teams. There are good Cryo characters, but they don't apply as much Cryo, or the timings don't work out. Some characters can still do it, but it typically takes more work.

Cryo + Hydro: Freeze. No damage, just freezes the enemy in place. Some enemies are immune to it. It's good, but obviously isn't a damage thing.

Electro + Pyro: Overload. Makes a small explosion. Damage modifier is lower than Vape and Melt, and the explosion tends to push enemies away. It gets seen occasionally, but mostly as a secondary focus of a team. (For instance, Overvape, which has hydro, pyro, and electro.)

Electro + Cryo: Superconduct. Does an extremely small amount of damage and lowers the enemy's physical resistance. Physical damage is pretty rare in this game and only a handful of characters focus on it, even characters who do a lot of normal attacks usually infuse their normal attacks with their element. For instance, Ganyu's charged shots are Cryo, not physical. Superconduct's extremely important for the physical characters, but basically useless otherwise.

Electro + Hydro: Electro-charged, often called 'taser.' Does a chain lightning sort of effect that spreads around enemies. The damage isn't that high but the damage spread is fairly high and there's hydro and electro characters that can apply their element enough to spam it.

Geo + Hydro/Cryo/Pyro/Electro: Crystallize. Drops a small crystal on the ground. When picked up, gives you a small shield. Nobody in the game really makes use of Crystallize, but it's not a bad thing to have when focusing on Geo characters. As this is the only reaction Geo characters have, they sort of exist in their own ecosystem, via Gorou, a 4* character that exclusively buffs Geo characters and wants you to build a team with at least 3 of them. Note that Geo cannot Crystallize Dendro or Anemo.

Anemo + Hydro/Cryo/Pyro/Electro: Swirl. Does a small amount of damage and spreads the 'swirled' element around. This can allow Anemo characters to trigger reactions also - for instance, if you swirl Hydro onto enemies that already have Pyro on them, or viceversa, then the Anemo character just triggered a vaporize, too. Its most important use, however, is the artifact set Viridescent Venerer, which makes the Anemo character lower the enemy's resistance to whatever element they swirled. This is a massive buff and allows Anemo characters to drastically increase the damage of the team. Note that Anemo cannot swirl Dendro or Geo.

Dendro + Pyro: Burn. Sticks a fire dot on the enemy. The damage itself isn't that high, but the fire refreshes the pyro on the enemy multiple times, so it can be useful for enabling things like Melt Ganyu, since she can trigger melt off the fire dot instead of having to have a pyro character apply pyro again.

Dendro + Hydro: Bloom. Makes a small seed on the ground. After a few seconds, it'll explode. Does okay damage, but can hurt your own characters. Mostly used as setup for the following two reactions.

Electro + Bloom Seed: If Electro hits a Bloom seed on the ground, you get Hyperbloom, which makes a homing missile. The damage is great and it doesn't require you to directly hit the enemy, so this is a highly valued setup. You can think of it as Hydro + Dendro + Electro.

Pyro + Bloom Seed: If Pyro hits a Bloom seed on the ground, you get Burgeon, which is basically just a bigger explosion. Largely outclassed by Hyperbloom, as Burgeon can also damage your own characters, doesn't have the homing properties, and does about equal damage. It's value is in being AOE, but you usually get enough Hyperblooms to cover multiple enemies.

Electro + Dendro: Quicken. Does nothing on its own, but applies a Quicken aura to the enemy. Like Bloom seeds, the Quicken reaction can be made into a further reaction.

Electro + Quicken: Aggravate. Increases the damage of the next electro attack on the enemy.

Dendro + Quicken: Spread. Increases the damage of the next Dendro attack on the enemy.

Note that there is no Dendro + Cryo reaction. This doesn't mean they shouldn't be on the same team, mind, just that they don't directly interact.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

No this is fine, I just wanted a single team (even if they are currently level 1, I don't mind ginding up resources needed to get them viable) because I was just so lost but I'd clearly progressed so far into the world ascension stuff the game expects me to actually have understood the elemental reaction mechanics. Aparantly I was just brute forcing it :P

I understand, I think I was at WL4 before I finally cracked and came to ask what in the world I need to do to do more damage properly.

I have a poor memory so keeping track of everything in this game is tough for me. So I use this website because it does most of the work immediately, like showing the days that everyone's talent books become available. https://genshin-center.com/planner

The last bit of advice I'd give is to try and get Furina if you have any primogems or Fates to try and wish for her. She activates water walking basically forever so it's amazing for overworld traversal.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

A lot of the Liyue/Mondstadt domains punish you for using who the domain is "for". Later domains dont do this and instead encourage using teams that can take advantage of the gear. For running the Mondstadt domain for viridescent gear, a good team is Qiqi, Fischl, Razor, and maybe diona for her shield. That domain buffs physical damage, which electro + cryo also buffs, and razor is designed for that as well. That team can also carry you through a lot of liyue overworld stuff while you work on resin dependent tasks.

For the big wolf boss, it's immune to cryo and anemo so that might have contributed to your problem with it.

Jean, Bennet, Xingqiu and Xiangling is absolutely a team that can carry you through to the current end game, it's only downside is that it is VERY burst dependent for its damage so getting energy recharge is a must for all of them. That's why I only use them for domains and bosses, it can be a pain to keep their bursts up in overworld.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
In the very early days of the game I'm pretty sure nobody* bothered with elemental reactions. Stuff like "xiangling gets a bonus to her normal attacks with this spear" was considered a big deal for a while. Electro-charged was also "good" for a decent stretch, iirc. It's probable that your team wasn't "that bad" for the time.

* I'm sure that plenty of folks did, but with the limited roster, weapons, artifacts, and so forth, you absolutely didn't have anything even resembling modern hyperbloom, much less modern vaporize teams, etc.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 19, 2023

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Hi, I'm a returning player after like three years

Keqing is fantastic now with Dendro (as is electro in general). Pick up Dendro traveler and do a Keqing/Traveler/Fischl/Jean group. Especially good if you have c6 Fischl.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I can't really speak to how accurate it is (since I just stumbled through the early game through painful trial and error :v: ) but this infographic has a priority list of how to make your character stronger the fastest for the least effort at every world level / stage of the game until you have maxed out characters: https://www.reddit.com/r/GenshinImpactTips/comments/qkxdj6/infographic_of_build_order_priority_based_on_wlar/

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Endorph posted:

I'd recommend Xingqiu/Xiangling/Bennett/Jean. The stats on gear don't really matter at this point, just get everyone as much ER as possible and get Jean and Bennett as much HP as possible. Xingqiu makes water swords whenever the active character attacks while his burst is active, Xiangling makes a spinny pyro attack go around the active character, grats, you're vaporizing, which does a good amount of damage. You'll also have two healers, so you aren't gonna die, and Jean can group enemies with her E.

Who would be the "normal attacker" in this, while waiting for bursts to come off cooldown, or does it not matter because no one is really doing normal hits?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Who would be the "normal attacker" in this, while waiting for bursts to come off cooldown, or does it not matter because no one is really doing normal hits?

Jean's first talent adds some healing so probably her, since nobody else's has a benefit like that. Of course, you should use everyone else's skill as well so they regen their energy faster.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it doesnt really matter so yeah might as well be jean

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hi, I'm a returning player after like three years. Played for a few months when the game first game out and fell off, but after playing HSR since launch and still enjoying it, figured I'd have another stab (also more downtime at work...) Last thing I remember was there being a teapot which was supposed to help make getting resources easier. (Or something. Its been awhile)

However. I am loving *lost* There's a thousand things to do and more importantly, my teams are GARBAGE. I tried doing ascension 3 just to see how my "team" would go and timed out. Struggled against the first world boss, big frost dog and clearly just have not understood the mechanics of building when I first played.

Can someone take a look at my party members and give me 1/2 teams I can use to build up on so I can start getting resources to think about progressing with any content/story. I'm aware most are hilariously undereleveled (or not at all) but just a "Use these 4" would mean I'd have some direction on who's Talents to level and who's artifacts to improve. Also find a reasonable weapon I guess. Wow I do not have a good stockpile of "stuff".

For example, I tried doing an artifact domain for lighting relics for Keqing (again just a test) and its clearly expecting me to have NOT electro dps to start with, and also a good fire interaction comp.

Also, make sure you don't spend your primo gems to roll on the standard banner.

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011
Great, I'm AR55 and only now learned from that infographic that character levels are my last priority instead of my first. Alright, time to level some other poo poo!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally I think keeping artifacts max level is the most important part and second is Ascension Phase 4 because that's both talents unlocked.

Also make sure everybody is wearing the correct ones, I just looked recently and my Xingqiu was holding a lvl 0 EM goblet for some reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Obnoxipus posted:

Great, I'm AR55 and only now learned from that infographic that character levels are my last priority instead of my first. Alright, time to level some other poo poo!
Character levels are a high priority, until 80/90. At that point most gains are marginal for most characters, and even the ones who do get larger gains from it still have it as a lower priority.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Obnoxipus posted:

Character level is imo an easy level first due to how relatively quick and straightforward it is, even the last ascension is worth it for basically all characters. It's just 80/90 > 90/90 is really only relevant for characters who scale their Talents off HP, or trigger reactions that depend on EM due to how their damage calcs work (Overload and the Bloom reactions... so basically just Nilou and the electro hyperbloom trigger characters).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also anemo characters

swirl scales pretty heavily with level

also the quicken/aggravate reactions also

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

whats the best furina team

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Meowywitch posted:

whats the best furina team

Fischl / Kazuha / Kokomi is being raved about as being pretty much idiot proof.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Fischl / Kazuha / Kokomi is being raved about as being pretty much idiot proof.

hell yeah bro just gotta get furi then

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Do not, my friends, become addicted to hyperbloom. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

The last bit of advice I'd give is to try and get Furina if you have any primogems or Fates to try and wish for her. She activates water walking basically forever so it's amazing for overworld traversal.
Not that Furina isn't a great unit, but I wouldn't recommend rolling on her just for her waterwalking if you've already got Mona. Furina's method is a little more flexible, but Mona's alternate sprint is almost always good enough.

My current overworld team is Ayaka/Furina/Kazuha/Sayu, and I find myself using Ayaka to cross water much more often than Furina, because her alternate sprint is slightly faster and more stamina-efficient than Furina's normal one. She's only a strict upgrade in certain very niche circumstances, like when you need to jump down directly onto deep water from somewhere high up, or cross a body that's too big to cover in a single stamina bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

consider this: Furina Cute