Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Nelson Mandumbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Unless you have visited or lived in New York, Florida, Hollywood, or Israel there is a really good chance you've literally never met a jew.

You’re dumb as gently caress

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Szechwan posted:

It is kind of funny reading goons frothing at the mouth over SpaceX being nothing more than a route to Elysium.

Reliable, cost effective access to space is objectively a huge boon for humanity as a whole, suggesting humanity needs to "fix things at home first" before stepping off-world is the biggest cope I've ever read.

Where do you think most of our climate model data comes from? Satellites. How do you think we track methane emitters? Satellites. How do we further our fundamental understanding of physics? Telescopes on satellites. How do we monitor illegal fishing? Satellites. There are endless tangible benefits to becoming a competent space fairing civilization.

There is such thing as nuance in this world guys. Two things can be true, Elon is a huge racist twat that deserves to be launched into the sun, and SpaceX has significantly furthered humanity's technological potential. There's a reason every other superpower is trying to build reusable rockets right now, it's a huge game-changer.

Best case scenario is Elon is booted and SpaceX continues doing cool poo poo. Without them we'd still be paying the loving Russians for rides to the spacestation on Soyuz rockets built in the 60s.

Thank god Elon Musk invented the satellite. Truly we'd be lost without his guiding light.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wish I could call for hangings, but I cant

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It just hit me how the gently caress does someone come to hate jews in 2023?

There is like 23 million jews in the world. It's a tiny number of people. Unless you have visited or lived in New York, Florida, Hollywood, or Israel there is a really good chance you've literally never met a jew. Hating an entire group of people you've never met a single one of us or not involved whatsoever in any way to limit you or your life is some peak lack of thinking for yourself. It's not like as an entire religion they promote aggressively or have really violent and anti-social behaviors.

I genuinely don't see how you become radicalized against jews unless you're a dumb as a rock reactionary dipshit or a Palestinian (which is a completely different topic) in 2023. I can understand Nazi Germany for instance because they had a wealthy but small community and Germans wanted an easy scapegoat for WW1.

Some jew out in hollywood isn't making your life hard.

Hating people you've never met is easy, because your only idea of them is what you've been told. Every conspiracy theory is built around a framework of straw-Jews being the ones doing the conspiring. Evangelical Christianity and Messianics (and others, they just say it really loudly) has this whole Madonna-whore thing going on with Judaism where the ones who exist now "aren't doing it right" and even their idea of what we're supposed to be is the theological equivalent of the "there's got to be a better way" part of an infomercial. Antisemitism is entrenched and controls the message. Even when people try to be aware of it and, for example, say "I know the Israeli government isn't the same as Jews as a whole but I am mentally unable to refer to individuals as individuals so I'll call them Zionists to distinguish" there's a century of hatred built around that term waiting to piggyback.

Hating the person next door because they're different from you in a way that lets you blame all your troubles on that difference is a way to end up at bigotry, but it's hardly the only way.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It just hit me how the gently caress does someone come to hate jews in 2023?
I am not joking when I say that 4chan's /pol/ board is probably the single largest contributor to the dissemination and spread of antisemitism into social media (people like weev and Daily Stormer's Andrew Anglin helped contribute to that environment early on, but are pretty bit players at this point). You can trace a direct link to every popular modern antisemitic meme there, controlled harassment campaigns originating there, neonazi mass shooters being radicalized by material originating from there, newer figures like Nick Fuentes having their audience build there for his cozy.tv platform, fringe political figures like Patrick Little try to build their campaign for office there, interns for Rep. Paul Gosar posting content directly from there into campaign material and being where the offsides like 8kun, 16chan, endchan etc formed

not a coincidence either that qanon literally began there as a guy roleplaying as a Department of Energy nuclear official with a Q clearance in threads there that eventually spread to middle aged moms on Facebook who learned about Pizzagate and the Clintons sacrificing white children to Moloch

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The idea some vatnik out in Vladivostok or some bigot in Spain (population 13,000) railing against the jews and how hard it's making their life just makes zero loving sense to me.

99% of the time the internet is to blame for this. I mean this is the Musk thread after all.

For Spain in particular, antisemitism isn't common here simply because we did all our antisemitism centuries ago, exiled or forcefully converted all the Jews, and the Sephardic Jewish community never recovered. Google says they're less than 0.1% of our population.

Most of our racists are extremely anti Muslim and against black people in general. Also against South Americans of course, but since they share our language and culture they usually try to be less open about it.

And of course this being Europe I don't even have to mention the widespread anti-Roma racism.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Elman posted:

For Spain in particular, antisemitism isn't common here simply because we did all our antisemitism centuries ago,

Well explain THIS

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Well explain THIS

You got something against trick or treating??

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Elman posted:

Most of our racists are extremely anti Muslim and against black people in general. Also against South Americans of course, but since they share our language and culture they usually try to be less open about it.

Is there a worry among racists in Spain that South American people will try to move into the (cultural, linguistic) “mother country”? Just curious why they have that for South Americans specifically.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Flowers for QAnon posted:

You’re dumb as gently caress

....What the gently caress is this kind of weird angry response? It's certainly an off the cuff remark that isn't accurate. But it's in the ballpark. The vast majority of states in America have 0-1% scale of population of jews. Either actually explain how this is a problem or lets chill the gently caress out eh?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/American_Jews_by_state.svg/1920px-American_Jews_by_state.svg.png

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Nelson Mandingo posted:

....What the gently caress is this kind of weird angry response? It's certainly an off the cuff remark that isn't accurate. But it's in the ballpark. The vast majority of states in America have 0-1% scale of population of jews. Either actually explain how this is a problem or lets chill the gently caress out eh?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/American_Jews_by_state.svg/1920px-American_Jews_by_state.svg.png

how many people do you think the average person meets in their life lol

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/jewish-population-by-state

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Everybody's met more than 100 people

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

what a truly bizarre statement to make lmfao

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

git apologist posted:

i’ve met jewish people irl. true story

well well well, look at mr big city over here

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

priznat posted:

Is there a worry among racists in Spain that South American people will try to move into the (cultural, linguistic) “mother country”? Just curious why they have that for South Americans specifically.

It's just the usual stuff: they're often dark skinned, they come from poorer countries, they're considered likely to be criminals. The thing is culturally and historically they're really close to Spain so even our far right tries to play up how we're close to them and they're the "acceptable" kind of immigration, as opposed to Muslims.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I dated a jewish girl once, or she might have been Mormon, I really can't remember

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

There are entire nations that do not understand sarcasm simply because they have no Jewish population.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In a bunch of red states, Republican politicians have successfully banned trans women from sports due to total nonsense fearmongering. In several of the states where they banned trans women from athletics, there were ZERO trans women in HS athletics.

This has never been rational. It's just an attempt to rile up a voter base to go vote for you based on a lie rather than the truth that you are going to do a bunch of things that will make those same voters miserable.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What are you loving talking about? I live in Dallas and we have a full on internationally recognized Holocaust museum, everyone in this city knows when you say the JCC you mean Jewish Community Center and one of our temples is nationally recognized for it's architecture. Also, I know dozens of Jewish people.

WTF?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 19, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Elviscat posted:

White supremacists still bang on about the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, a 120 year old piece of antisemitic Russian propaganda. There's a ton of people out there who are dumber than poo poo, and plenty of people who have a vested interest into feeding bullshit into their idiot brains.

not me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Prettz posted:

just checking in on goons reaction to starship test, and yep. no suprises here.

NASA isn't funding it at all. They threw in some pocket change for a lunar lander version.

you're loving insufferable lol

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

What are you loving talking about? I live in Dallas and we have a full on nationally recognized Holocaust museum, everyone in this city knows when you say the JCC you mean Jewish Community Center and one of the temples is nationally recognized for it's architecture. Also, I know dozens of Jewish people.

WTF?

he dumb as gently caress

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Save some jewish friends for the rest of us, TO, no wonder why i havent met any.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Really? This is what some folks are hung up on...? What the gently caress? Hey guys, like lets take a deep breath and get a grip. Then focus instead on the big picture to what I was saying.

The original post I was responding to was someone from Spain complaining about the Jews. Of which there is like 13,000 in the entire country.

I'm incredulous at the hatred and enmity towards jews, when there simply isn't a ton around outside of specific geographic areas. It would be like me blaming Australians (of which there are more than jews!) for American's problems. There is extremely unlikely to be some tenuous physical or emotional thread that a bigot could blame problems on them for. They have to make it up, and I'm incredulous at how effective it is for how few jews there are.

Sorry if that upsets you.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Really? This is what some folks are hung up on...? What the gently caress? Hey guys, like lets take a deep breath and get a grip. Then focus instead on the big picture to what I was saying.

The original post I was responding to was someone from Spain complaining about the Jews. Of which there is like 13,000 in the entire country.

I'm incredulous at the hatred and enmity towards jews, when there simply isn't a ton around outside of specific geographic areas. It would be like me blaming Australians (of which there are more than jews!) for American's problems. There is extremely unlikely to be some tenuous physical or emotional thread that a bigot could blame problems on them for. They have to make it up, and I'm incredulous at how effective it is for how few jews there are.

Concerning

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

If you live in most parts of the US, it's very possible to not know that you've met any Jewish people unless you have some idea about common Jewish names or other cultural identifiers. Lots of Jewish people don't wear a yarmulke, or are non-practicing. I've lived in the PNW nearly my whole life and can't recall offhand any Jewish person that I've met, mostly because it really wouldn't have stuck out in my mind anyway.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

it's also kind of funny because like... why wouldn't it be more common to hate/believe stereotypes about a group you've never interacted with?

if i'm subjected to antisemitic tropes constantly, wouldn't i be MORE likely to believe them if i haven't met any jews that contradict those tropes? the more you interact with a group the more you understand that they're not all easily summed up hence it not even being a valid point to say it's strange to hate a group of people you've never even met! it's strange to hate a group you DO interact with if you can see the stereotypes aren't true!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Elon Musk

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They don't care about jews for any reason other than chan culture violent tribalism and cargo culting big daddy ubermensch, there's nothing deeper to read into

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Sentient Data posted:

They don't care about jews for any reason other than chan culture violent tribalism and cargo culting big daddy ubermensch, there's nothing deeper to read into

Yeah

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

let's all just agree we've seen a jew a time or two not a whole lot but quite a few

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you’ve enjoyed a bagel you’ve enjoyed a jew

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Sorry if that upsets you.

When you say something that's dumb as gently caress, people are going to call you out on it

And you said something that's dumb as gently caress

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of people think there are Jews everywhere because they believe everyone they hate and/or envy is Jewish.

Like you wouldn't believe how many people around here think a well-known Italian family is Jewish. (They're pretty darn Roman Catholic.) Although many also think they're Greek because why not, it's not like they jave an extremely Italian surname. (They do.)

E: of course on the other hand, I have colleagues who have no idea two of them are Jewish. It doesn't really come up and it's not obvious unless you know things.

Ee: to clarify: there ARE Jewish people pretty much everywhere, but they're largely not the ones the people who hate Jews know to hate.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 19, 2023

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Sentient Data posted:

Someone mentioned South Park earlier but Family Guy was really lovely with the "lol Jews" joke. Like an extended scene where Peter tries to shoot Mort with a sniper rifle for no reason other than just "trying to murder Jewish man is funny?" I guess.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Sentient Data posted:

agree the cause is a surface level blend of edgelordism, nihilism and tribalism rather than any kind of ideological coherent framework, but the effect is a firehose of antisemitic content that dwarves nearly every other source regardless of the original intent

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I'm just thinking about how the right believes the gay male community has outsized cultural and political influence and we are all own fabulous houses and drive fancy cars when we are more likely to live in poverty because of systematic discrimination against us.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Three Olives posted:

I'm just thinking about how the right believes the gay male community has outsized cultural and political influence and we are all own fabulous houses and drive fancy cars when we are more likely to live in poverty because of systematic discrimination against us.

Most people have never even met a gay person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Elon Musk is trying to create AI to avoid Rocco's Basilisk. That's why he's so obsessed with making X the everything app and ran off to copy the current "AI technology" as soon as someone else got close to humanlike except for the whole uncanny valley.