Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah I just bought a whole OBR army and I've told myself no more models until I paint them all, thankfully

I've told myself the same lie many times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a7m2 posted:

I've told myself the same lie many times

Same

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
So are they keeping crypt ghouls? It sure looks that way in the preview, right after they showed updated sculpts for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Not a real issue for me, but I'm just wondering.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Yep. No more minis until I’ve painted the Gravelords and Sylvaneth armies I already have. Except for the Sylvaneth Dawnbringers box. And the Christmas box for Gravelords. But no more!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

So are they keeping crypt ghouls? It sure looks that way in the preview, right after they showed updated sculpts for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Not a real issue for me, but I'm just wondering.

Cryptguard look like replacements to me

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh poo poo, the new FEC are absolutely perfect, absolutely knocked it out of the park

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They’re keeping them, you can see them in the background of some photos alongside the crypt guard.

They sort of work as effectively the unarmed peasant horde (and I always liked their hunched look, like a pack of hounds), with the crypt guard as the men-at-arms.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man the AoS stuff has been killing it lately, absolutely incredible. I cannot afford another army right now but drat those are tempting.

Dig the new Kruleboyz too, though I really wish they'd included another banner bearer since the Dominion box didn't include one and the regular Gutrippaz sprue can only build 1, which makes reinforced units kinda annoying. Also weird that they're basically the only army without a cavalry unit of any kind still.

Absolutely cannot wait to see what they finally do with Skaven a decade from now.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
with any luck Skaven will be in the edition launch box

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah, I've been clinging to that rumor like a life raft. The fact that there haven't been any non-Underworlds spoiler engines for anything Skaven for like the entire year seems to point that direction, at least. I just want some new Eshin sculpts that are 1/10th as incredible as the Underworld warbands.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Give me Skaven vs the Khazalid Empire tyvm

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

AnEdgelord posted:

This big FEC launch just makes this more likely!

With the popularity of Vermintide, it seems crazy not to do Skaven. A new troops box for each of the Clans, and some new Rat Ogres would get lots of people to start the army. And as a horde faction that's just more boxes those players need. Win win.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Honestly the basic clanrats don't even need a redo imo. They'd get one regardless I'm sure but I think they're great.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Rat Ogres and Eshin's troop choices really need it the most imo. Those poor Night Runners are just embarrassing. I mean, lots of this faction could use a facelift and its even more obvious when you see the more releases, especially the Warbands.

I'd love to see Eshin become a bigger presence in the game outside the odd assassin or Gutter Runner team. Ninja Rats seem like a perfectly good place to go nuts design wise. I'd love to see the Triads from Total War coming over as well.

For what its worth, I think Clan Rats and Plague Monks are reasonable sculpts, even if the Monks are a bit boring though they do mob up well.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love the look of the clanrats even if they're nearly monopose. They really look the part. If the plague monks, rogers, weapon teams and Eshin guys could get the same treatment their Underworlds counterparts did then that set would be in my cart before I finished blinking.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Clan Rats and Stormvermin still look perfectly fine, but my poor Giant Rat packs have... Aged poorly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Clan Rats and Stormvermin still look perfectly fine, but my poor Giant Rat packs have... Aged poorly.

Before I sold my Skaven I just used the giant rats included with the plague monks.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I unironically love the old eshin models

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Honestly there's been what, four major range refreshes now? What determines this? Popularity? We got the Slaves, Seraphon, FEC and CoS...Who even needs a touchup besides maybe Fyreslayers and definitely Skaven. I'd be more interested if they leaned into "riding big monsters" shtick

S.J.
May 19, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Honestly there's been what, four major range refreshes now? What determines this? Popularity? We got the Slaves, Seraphon, FEC and CoS...Who even needs a touchup besides maybe Fyreslayers and definitely Skaven. I'd be more interested if they leaned into "riding big monsters" shtick

The range refreshes were for factions that were still leaning heavily on kits from Fantasy and didn't have much of a proper AoS release yet, I think. Skaven, I think, is the worst of those unless I'm misremembering something, now that FEC has been revealed. I think maybe daughters, beasts of chaos, skaven, and mawtribes are the factions that need proper AoS range refreshes? Certainly factions like Fyreslayers and Idoneth need their rosters expanded though, for sure. The only mawtribe releases since AoS have been a couple foot characters, I believe. Their monsters are great but the regular foot infantry could for for an aesthetic update for sure.

e: I forgot mawtribes just got new models for gorgers recently

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
How's this for a Duardin focused army whose main theme is "not dying"

ction: Cities of Sigmar
- Subfaction: Greywater Fastness
LEADERS
Alchemite Warforger (110)
Runelord (100)
Warden King (110)
- General
- Command Traits: Of Mighty Lineage
- Artefacts of Power: Book of Grudges
Alchemite Warforger (110)
BATTLELINE
Ironbreakers (130)
- Standard Bearer
- Drummer
Ironbreakers (130)
- Standard Bearer
- Drummer
Ironbreakers (130)
- Standard Bearer
- Drummer
ARTILLERY
Ironweld Great Cannon (150)
Ironweld Great Cannon (150)
OTHER
Hammerers (300)
- Standard Bearer
- Musician
Gyrocopters (240)
- Steam Gun
- 2 x Brimstone Gun
Freeguild Fusiliers (340)
- Fusilier Herald
- Fusil-Sergeant
TOTAL POINTS: 2000/2000
Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Beastmen and Skaven need the most re-sculpts at this point (and maybe Ogors? They seem to be working their way towards a whole new aesthetic for them) - the whole Fyreslayers range is "modern," though some of the early stuff seems like maybe they were still figuring out their whole autoCAD process because the poses are really stiff / unnatural. They mostly just need more unit variety - basically what the Ironjawz just got.

Otherwise it's mostly just a couple units in each army that are old and kinda lovely looking next to the new stuff, but nothing particularly egregious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fyreslayers definitely needs more units, and possibly a redesign of their basic infantry unit. But it's also kind of obvious GW has no idea what to do with them, since all they've gotten so far is just more characters.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if the Slaven refresh is being delayed by a backlog of kits sitting in the warehouse.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like to think that the Underworlds brand is a creative outlet for their designers to work out future faction aesthetics . Explore what works and what doesn't and make a game of it to recoup some of that time expense. If my entirely unsubstantiated imagination is correct we should see new Skaven aaaaany day now.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Speaking of Skaven, I got in a giant game recently. My buddy Adam and I threw down 3k points of Stormcast Versus Skaven with an emphasis on fully painted and a neat scenario. Armed with my mascot Ratling Gunner, who is absolutely eyeing my buddies Titan in the background, I played the largest game of Skaven yet and it looked great!

Behold, Clan Morsqueak marches to war!

The goal was to use a bit from every type of Skaven clan in the army since I like the idea of my Warlord over-promising to everyone and dealing with the survivors (there was very few after this battle). I also got to use my custom Plague Furnace which is still a work in progress but is coming along nicely.

Since Warmachine/Hordes is pretty well dead, I put my Sacral Vault from the Minions faction to good use, though without the giant Gators that should be pushing it. I used some of the scaffolding from the Gnawholes, since I like mine wihtout, to build a little frame for my Plague Monks to preach and yell various blasphemies from. It also let me rig up the original swinging censer from the kit with some extra hobby chain. The scaffolding needs work (as does everything), but I love the look of it. It looks like the Skaven stole it from some Seraphon temple and wheel it around, blasting curses out.

Adam's army is just fantastically painted and made for some epic battle shots. So much of my army is a work in progress cause that's horde armies for you. Still, this battle was spectacular.

I had wanted to do a more coherent battle report but I've never played a game this big. We forgot as many rules as we remembered, doubly so with our special scenario. It was glorious, fun mess of a game with great swings for both sides. We were having a blast.

My plague censer monks got off a glorious charge and ripped up a squad of Stormcast.

Squeak the Crimson, Warlord and the Great Horned Rat's Most Perfect Child, got to live the dream. The Liberator squad could not finish him off, leaving him with one wound. This gave him 10 attacks the following turn, taking 7 Liberators down before being killed/sneaking away in victory.

The game came down to Karazai and a handful of Stormcast Heroes smashing their way to the objective in the end.

Yndrasta continued her streak of absolutely murdering everything with a base size bigger than Clan Rat. Just an absolute menace with the Hellpit, Verminlord, and the Grey Seer all falling to her. The second picture is his as I was to blinded by the assault to get a good shot.

Just a joy to get in a great game with two fully painted armies. 3k games are a bit of a slog, but man it is fun to bring all the big monsters out. Let me know what you think.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

Rat Ogres and Eshin's troop choices really need it the most imo. Those poor Night Runners are just embarrassing. I mean, lots of this faction could use a facelift and its even more obvious when you see the more releases, especially the Warbands.

I'd love to see Eshin become a bigger presence in the game outside the odd assassin or Gutter Runner team. Ninja Rats seem like a perfectly good place to go nuts design wise. I'd love to see the Triads from Total War coming over as well.

For what its worth, I think Clan Rats and Plague Monks are reasonable sculpts, even if the Monks are a bit boring though they do mob up well.

I half agree with this but then I also think every clan needs it. You pretty much cannot build a non-Verminus monoclan with current models short of a meme list that uses Stormfiends as battleline (I did this, it was not fun).

Eshin has monkeymen as their main troops.
Moulder barring the Hellpit is really old.
Skryre has resin weapon teams and legit oldest active model the Acolyte as its cheap battleline (some Phoenix Lord or something MIGHT narrowly edge it out).
Pestilens has an oldass foot hero and Censer Bearers, which is a shame since they're the two best units for that clan right now.

Island of Blood being done the way it was also completely hosed up some stuff as well.

They're legit gonna have to cut and/or amalgamate some stuff otherwise their refresh is gonna be like 14 old kits plus whatever new stuff they want to add and then you can use the new battletome as a lethal weapon.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I've been clinging to that rumor like a life raft. The fact that there haven't been any non-Underworlds spoiler engines for anything Skaven for like the entire year seems to point that direction, at least. I just want some new Eshin sculpts that are 1/10th as incredible as the Underworld warbands.

Also this, if they don't get something by end of 2024 I'm gonna go crazy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crazy Ferret posted:

Speaking of Skaven, I got in a giant game recently.

Crazy Ferret posted:

Just a joy to get in a great game with two fully painted armies. 3k games are a bit of a slog, but man it is fun to bring all the big monsters out. Let me know what you think.

I love everything about this.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Crazy Ferret posted:

I would also like to, uh, express my affection for this particular post.

Skaven and Anvils are my two favorite factions in the game, so this was particularly choice in my book.

How do you like the shrouded Rat Ogres? Those are Resin Warfare, right?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Personally I don't really mind how old the Skaven range is, simply because "rat men" is probably tied for GW's least copyrightable faction with "sci fi soldiers" and so there is an absolute cornucopia of third party options.

I really wanna finish my Skaven army.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

grassy gnoll posted:

How do you like the shrouded Rat Ogres? Those are Resin Warfare, right?

Here is a slightly better picture of them of them before they charged Karazai and were slaughtered almost instantly. Behind them is another Etsy purchase, one of the Plague Chanter rats but painted up to be a Master Moulder.

Yeah! I like them a lot. They have a great sense of motion and look really menacing together. I'm looking forward to putting a bit of technical blood on the swords and bases in time. My only concern is the cloth on the red schemed ones. The white cloth will look great with a wash and some grimey effects, but the red feels a bit bigger than I was anticipating. I'm sure once I finish painting up the red, it will be fine. I might do some white skaven runes to help break it up but all things in time.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
I think I have the exact same snowy FLG mat! it's quaility

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Geisladisk posted:

Personally I don't really mind how old the Skaven range is, simply because "rat men" is probably tied for GW's least copyrightable faction with "sci fi soldiers" and so there is an absolute cornucopia of third party options.

I really wanna finish my Skaven army.

Ehhhhhh the Skaven are pretty wholly unique, especially stuff like storm fiends, doom wheels, screaming bells etc.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah Skaven are one of the most unique factions in the game IMO. "Ratmen" are a common fantasy race, sure, but so is every single other faction in the game. The actual lore and the design behind most of the units are not something I've seen anyone else doing, really.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Something I really like about the Skaven faction is that you can also take the faction very seriously or play them silly with ease. You can absolutely lean into the evil empire aesthetic with the body horror, the dark magics, the endless hordes of starving slaves. Skaven, played straight, is a true nightmare faction.

I’ve always preferred the other, sillier side of them. Like a fantasy version of The Venture Brothers, where Clanrats and engineers work hard to survive the daily insanities of their masters. Warlords with petty rivalries and stupid plans, Warlocks with suicidal inventions, incompetent assassins, and everything that is the Clan Pestilins Healthcare Plus plans. Are your Clan Rats the rare blend of expendable and invulnerable that makes them the perfect henchrats?

It is a good faction that lets you enjoy both narratives.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Crazy Ferret posted:

Something I really like about the Skaven faction is that you can also take the faction very seriously or play them silly with ease. You can absolutely lean into the evil empire aesthetic with the body horror, the dark magics, the endless hordes of starving slaves. Skaven, played straight, is a true nightmare faction.

I’ve always preferred the other, sillier side of them. Like a fantasy version of The Venture Brothers, where Clanrats and engineers work hard to survive the daily insanities of their masters. Warlords with petty rivalries and stupid plans, Warlocks with suicidal inventions, incompetent assassins, and everything that is the Clan Pestilins Healthcare Plus plans. Are your Clan Rats the rare blend of expendable and invulnerable that makes them the perfect henchrats?

It is a good faction that lets you enjoy both narratives.

This is why Skavenslayer is the best of the old Black library Gotrek and Felix books. You spend half of it with Thanquol who is both very funny and also a psychopathic megolamaniac powered by chaos meth.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Majkol posted:

This is why Skavenslayer is the best of the old Black library Gotrek and Felix books. You spend half of it with Thanquol who is both very funny and also a psychopathic megolamaniac powered by chaos meth.

It helps that its actually a good use of thanquol. They brought him back for the subsequent two books but its basically just a sidestory, it felt like the later seasons of supernatural where they keep bringing in characters who realistically should've just been killed for doing evil poo poo but they're popular with the fans so we need them around for screentime. Wisely, they dropped him after that

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Idk vampireslayer felt like it was missing something.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I need to populate my Christmas list, and I think I want some of those nice plastic circles for objective markers. Anybody have any favorite manufacturers that won't be ruinously expensive to ship to the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

grassy gnoll posted:

I need to populate my Christmas list, and I think I want some of those nice plastic circles for objective markers. Anybody have any favorite manufacturers that won't be ruinously expensive to ship to the US?

https://squadmarks.com/brt-12-neoprene-objective-markers-warhammer-aos-conquest/

I use these and they work pretty good