Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
no trades, ride or die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I challenge anyone to make a worse trade than I did last event.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I have broken down, and come to request a trade - possibly.

I am looking to trade Wakamotoharu for Kotonowaka.

Only if that trade is not possible due to how the draft has fallen, would I instead ask to trade Kinbozan for Shonannoumi.

If neither is available! Then I'll stay with my team as it is.

You get Kotonowaka for Day 8!

Boogalo posted:

I challenge anyone to make a worse trade than I did last event.

Truly a historic pair of bad trades. Your trials in Aki live on as an example of what must be endured to maintain a ganbaru spirit.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

Coming back to the forums to say that I love Takakeisho but he's never gonna be a yokozuna. Too many other strong established guys and up and comers for me to see him pulling off two in a row or having a Kisenosato kind of 'dominantly the second best guy over and over' boost off one.

ay welcome back. and yeah i agree. keisho had a shot when hakuho was around and injured and he had a shot now just as the young blood are starting to establish themselves. but i seriously cannot remember the last time i saw him fight back to back bashos where he wasn't obviously carrying a fairly loving gnarly injury in one of them.

man cannot stay healthy.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The lesson I've learned is that trading for a guy with a much better record has a higher than usual chance of backfiring because the scheduling is determined by the grumpy old folks' tendency to match up those kind of guys against opponents higher in rank while matching up guys with losing records against lower-ranked opponents. The leads to the guy you traded away picking up a few more wins while the guy you traded for picks up a few more losses and your own record gets even more hosed as a result.

I'd still trade away someone who's like 0-fer or 1-fer by Day 5 or so, but I wouldn't automatically trade for someone with 0 or 1 loss unless I was confident they'd do just as well facing someone 4-5 ranks higher for the next few days.

As for the hamster? As an outsider, I'd rather be known as a strong career ozeki rather than an underwhelming yokozuna, especially since the latter can be pressured to retire early while the former (as long as they manage kadoban properly) can have a long career with 80% of the yokozuna salary and 5% of the responsibilities.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Okay, can't take any more. I'd like to trade out Roga in exchange for either of my other two M11+ picks (Sadanoumi or Tomokaze), please.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

ullerrm posted:

Okay, can't take any more. I'd like to trade out Roga in exchange for either of my other two M11+ picks (Sadanoumi or Tomokaze), please.

You get Sadanoumi! And just in time!

anakha posted:

The lesson I've learned is that trading for a guy with a much better record has a higher than usual chance of backfiring because the scheduling is determined by the grumpy old folks' tendency to match up those kind of guys against opponents higher in rank while matching up guys with losing records against lower-ranked opponents. The leads to the guy you traded away picking up a few more wins while the guy you traded for picks up a few more losses and your own record gets even more hosed as a result.

I'd still trade away someone who's like 0-fer or 1-fer by Day 5 or so, but I wouldn't automatically trade for someone with 0 or 1 loss unless I was confident they'd do just as well facing someone 4-5 ranks higher for the next few days.

As for the hamster? As an outsider, I'd rather be known as a strong career ozeki rather than an underwhelming yokozuna, especially since the latter can be pressured to retire early while the former (as long as they manage kadoban properly) can have a long career with 80% of the yokozuna salary and 5% of the responsibilities.

In general, trading is associated with kachi-koshi scores in fantasy, but not with top 5 scores. We all love bullshit like Boogalo's net -8 points last basho, but generally speaking there is benefit gained by trading injured or poorly-performing wrestlers. Most people swing several points out of a trade, but needing to trade means you're probably not contending for the cup.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kenning posted:

In general, trading is associated with kachi-koshi scores in fantasy, but not with top 5 scores. We all love bullshit like Boogalo's net -8 points last basho, but generally speaking there is benefit gained by trading injured or poorly-performing wrestlers. Most people swing several points out of a trade, but needing to trade means you're probably not contending for the cup.

Oh you're absolutely correct. I was speaking from my own experience in trying to achieve kk in fantasy and maintaining ozeki status.

If fantasy scores were my only consideration in drafting, I tend to draft conservatively by looking just at rikishi most likely to go 8-7 or 9-6 at their respective non-Y/O ranks (hence Mitakeumi pre-ozeki being a mainstay in my drafts). Trading is also challenging in that scenario because the loss of 2-3 points because the guy you traded for got matched up against higher-ranking guys for several days could cause you to end up mk.

anakha fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 19, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

anakha posted:

Speaking of water, when did it become ok to start drinking the water again during the pre-match prep? It used to be just going through the motions without actually drinking because of the infection risk.

E: Yusho race still pretty wide open

i've noticed that the yobidashi take the wooden ladles to the back during bouts, presumably to wash them between uses

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tracker is now updated to Day 8

This includes all pre-Day 8 confirmed trades.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Not a great weekend for my lads.

I'm quite disappointed in Kotonowaka, I thought he was a bit naive against Ura and seemed quite lackluster again Shodai. Still fingers crossed he makes the next week a resounding success!

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

It is going to be an absolute sumo miracle if my guys can turn this around in the second half!

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thanks for the input on my queries upthread.

Still looking forward to the highlights each evening. Had a moment last night when the NHK highlights were not on Youtube for some reason, but they are still putting them up on their own site, so all good. I don't know how it works with other sources, but their half hour format is perfect for me. Whizz through the Makuuchi fights with English commentary and a handy stat display before each bout. Easy and fun to follow, not over in seconds and enought to get my teeth into but doesn't take up half my evening to watch either.

Not really picked any favourites yet, but I am having fun following individual rikishi. I look forward to Hoshoryu's bouts. He always looks he like he means serious business.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

I look forward to Hoshoryu's bouts. He always looks he like he means serious business.

Would it ruin your image of the man if we told you he wears glasses outside of competition and his glower is more likely him squinting at his opponent?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yusho race should get quite interesting next week.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

anakha posted:

Would it ruin your image of the man if we told you he wears glasses outside of competition and his glower is more likely him squinting at his opponent?

A little tbh

Still, he has a warrior-like aspect. Some of them look like benevolent dads who've let themselves go a bit.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Brb, time to form a dad sumo league

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I'm in

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

anakha posted:

his deathstare is nullified completely as soon as you see a picture of him smiling

it gives me life, though

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

"Hoshoryu looks fierce" vs "Horshoryu looks friendly" are two just competing parts of a single larger truth, which is "Hoshoryu is quite handsome"

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
shodai

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Robviously posted:

Brb, time to form a dad sumo league

[looks down at scales] well, i've got the shape down.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Brut posted:

shodai

Does not always look like he means serious business.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Does not always look like he means serious business.

I felt so bad for him after his match with Takakeisho. He looked like he was actually trying, and still lost!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The real danger i find in trading is you ditch some dude who is usually good for 7-9 points but has 4-5 straight losses (which are now already on your score sheet) then they go on a tear and get back up to their usual score. Meanwhile you pick up someone who is hot but got most of their wins already so its only downhill from there.

That was my thinking with the super early trade, my dudes weren't looking great, both people I picked up tend to perform pretty well but ha da couple rough bashos so were underranked but had zeroes so far so I was banking on potential points on the table and they just went faaaaart

It's pretty much how I play fighting games. I'll do a move because its really funny if hit hits and if it doesn't I just eat poo poo but it still might be funny.

edit: I definitely do worse when I overthink it vs just picking dudes I like who I want to see do well.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 20, 2023

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it's my first day, so i picked the guys i would like to see win, and put no further thought into it

will this trend continue? almost certainly

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Roctavian posted:

"Hoshoryu looks fierce" vs "Horshoryu looks friendly" are two just competing parts of a single larger truth, which is "Hoshoryu is quite handsome"

Yeah, definitely one of the going top division hotties.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

We got some good sumo goin on

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Gonna be an 11-4 yusho kinda basho won't it

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

A little tbh

Still, he has a warrior-like aspect. Some of them look like benevolent dads who've let themselves go a bit.

Sadanoumi is so perfect for this - he just looks like they scooped him up and told him he was gonna have to fight this week. It's such a funny perspective trick since then you see any of them next to normal humans (there's a twitter account called SarahLovesSumo who gets selfies with the rikishi a lot) and you're like Oh Right.

Brut posted:

Gonna be an 11-4 yusho kinda basho won't it

Takakeisho clean sweep for the rope I believe (mostly because poor Kotonowaka got into his own head and stopped overpowering his opponents)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The arena has been looking pretty empty to me this basho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
In my considered and neutral opinion as a lesbian, sumo does have the highest percentage of cute guys of any sport.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Hoshoryu used to annoy me because he came off as kinda cocky, but nowadays I'm fairly certain that he just holds himself to a very high standard and is frustrated with himself when he loses. Both of his recent losses you can see an expression on his face where he knows he hosed up.

You could see similar during his ozeki debut last tournament.

And sure, going into every match expecting to win is a little cocky, but it's also the mindset one needs to compete at a high level in any sport.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I think I'm a Kotonowaka fan.

There's no way Takakeisho is getting Yokozuna even with a yusho at 12-3 right?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nativity In Black posted:

Hoshoryu used to annoy me because he came off as kinda cocky, but nowadays I'm fairly certain that he just holds himself to a very high standard and is frustrated with himself when he loses. Both of his recent losses you can see an expression on his face where he knows he hosed up.

You could see similar during his ozeki debut last tournament.

And sure, going into every match expecting to win is a little cocky, but it's also the mindset one needs to compete at a high level in any sport.

I think you're right in that he holds himself to an incredibly high standard, but also that he is under immense pressure from his uncle to excel and takes a lot of poo poo when he doesn't. Hoshoryu is tremendously strong to deal with this and perform at the level he does.

Dude's going to be a tremendous yokozuna someday, and I think (and hope) sooner rather than later. Kirishima too, for that matter.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 20, 2023

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Taffy Torpedo posted:

There's no way Takakeisho is getting Yokozuna even with a yusho at 12-3 right?

If he actually pulled off any yusho they'd be setting new historical precedent to deny him the rope. I don't think we have to worry about it though, there's no way his current form is clearing all 3 of the ozeki without a loss

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tracker is now updated to Day 9

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Day 9: I think Ura beat Abi with telekinesis or spellcraft. Just the most Ura ending possible for that bout.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lmao I was super busy this morning but still wanted to catch sumo so I downloaded the latest Natto and played it at 5x speed again in Quicktime Player.

I laughed so hard I had tears streaming down my face. There's something about rikishi slapping each other at 5x speed that is now my favourite thing ever.

Love yourself enough to try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
There were some real goofy rear end stumbles after pulldowns today, like Abi and Nishikigi.