Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is there a recommendation for an induction-capable 10" nonstick skillet that's especially not prone to warping? I have an All-Clad* that's great but it's pretty warped on the bottom after just 1 year of use.

*I say it's an All-Clad, but i got it for like $20 at a HomeGoods so I wouldn't be surprised if it was either a counterfeit or a factory reject or something like that.

I beat the poo poo out of my All Clad pans and they’re dead flat. I bought all of them either at Williams Sonoma or their sketchy looking factory sale site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Anytime I’ve thought my all-clads were warped, it was actually that my whole stove was off

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7301928614784896302

You ever daydream about what if you studied harder in school and had a bigger house with a big back yard where you could fit a 10 gallon fryer and a churro gun

I’d have a storage shed just for cooking equipment

You know how some new, innovative libraries also loan out power tools? There should just be a 10 gallon fryer hot and ready Fridays and weekends. Better yet - one for vegetarian, one for meats, one for fishies, and one for doughsies

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FaradayCage posted:

On thermometer talk - I'm considering an infrared thermometer for cooking oil, my cast iron, and dicking around.

Any suggestions? Any features I should be aware of? Just right now I'm wondering if they (all or some) use a visible laser to show where you're reading. I also notice that unlike most kitchenry, they all seem to have the awkward shape of a phaser that got it's nose bitten off. Not quite sure where/how I'd store it.

I have one but it's just a cheap on off amazon, it works well enough and I just chuck it in my utensil drawer. It's was this one

https://amzn.eu/d/90R3Uca

But there are loads of identical ones on there. I've had it for years and it's worked great the whole time.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
A couple pages ago, someone was debating replacing their Breville toaster oven with a different brand that had an air fryer mode too, and the consensus was that the air fryer on it would suck.

When I started looking at Breville toaster ovens, the first one I found was one as an air fryer combo.

Anyone know if this is any good? I do not have counter space for both a toaster oven and an air fryer (and I use my toaster oven a fair amount, but it's not great and I would like to get a nice one)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I have one but it's just a cheap on off amazon, it works well enough and I just chuck it in my utensil drawer. It's was this one

https://amzn.eu/d/90R3Uca

But there are loads of identical ones on there. I've had it for years and it's worked great the whole time.

We have the same one and it’s perfectly fine.

Interesting that they have different versions for higher temperature ranges. Maybe different lasers? Not sure any cooking thing needs the higher limits.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

A couple pages ago, someone was debating replacing their Breville toaster oven with a different brand that had an air fryer mode too, and the consensus was that the air fryer on it would suck.

When I started looking at Breville toaster ovens, the first one I found was one as an air fryer combo.

Anyone know if this is any good? I do not have counter space for both a toaster oven and an air fryer (and I use my toaster oven a fair amount, but it's not great and I would like to get a nice one)

Not as good must means not AS fast. Convection is still pretty fast. Several posters including myself have these and they are great. Perfect toast every time and the option to use convection or not. I use it for oven things more than my oven. The one thing I don’t like is it’s a pain to clean and mine has a high pitched wine when it kicks into standby mode.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FaradayCage posted:

On thermometer talk - I'm considering an infrared thermometer for cooking oil, my cast iron, and dicking around.

Any suggestions? Any features I should be aware of? Just right now I'm wondering if they (all or some) use a visible laser to show where you're reading. I also notice that unlike most kitchenry, they all seem to have the awkward shape of a phaser that got it's nose bitten off. Not quite sure where/how I'd store it.

I'm going to second what another said about the blender.

IMO - don't get a Vitamix yet.

I use a simple Nutribullet (Magic Bullet) and it's been able to do everything I throw at it. It's compact and has a 2 cup and 4 cup reservoir. That's more than enough for anything I would ever blend. Usually use it for salsas, tahini sauce, and...idunno. Like - what are you guys actually blending? Hosting margarita parties at night and making an everything shake in the morning?

Yeah echoing this on the blender. I didn't have like $700 to spare or whatever a Vitamix is running for when we got nicer jobs and moved into our home with actual kitchen space. Instead I bought some used beefy looking blender and it's been great for everything I use a blender for that I am not already using an immersion blender for. If that ended up being limiting then I'd just sell the old blender back to the used homegoods shop (ReStore / Habitat for Humanity spot) and then consider buying something nicer. I just haven't seen a need in my own cooking for something so big / expensive. Maybe one day I'll come around on the need for one but haven't seen it after many years.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For toaster ovens/air fryers I got this one from costco a while back and it's been pretty good for me. https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-10-in-1-digital-air-fry-oven-pro.product.4000105708.html. It's much cheaper than a lot of the other ones so IDK how it compares.

I don't have an actual air fryer to compare it to, but I think it's cooked stuff in about as much time as packages claim with air fry. I don't have that many things that I air fry though but it's been great at whatever I've thrown at it.

It can flip up to save space (that's its gimmick). You just have to be careful to not flip it up if you cooked something super greasy that got grease everywhere otherwise it'll drip to the bottom.

IMO the best part of it is it's great at roasting veggies. Stick some veggies on the black tray and crank it up, they taste way better than I've ever gotten out of my conventional oven. That and it can accommodate a frozen pizza (hell yeah i'm lazy deal with it).

It sucks at actual baking though, I tried cookies and they were terrible.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Eeyo posted:

It sucks at actual baking though, I tried cookies and they were terrible.

i also got this recently, so don't have a lot to judge it by, but made excellent cookies on my second shot. first using my normal convection oven settings was quickly overdone, but a little lower temp and a minute or two less time and it was great

also the small vertical size lets it preheat to 350 in literally a minute somehow. i would be halfway into portioning out the dough and it'd be ready

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That could have been user error :shrug:

My problem was that the bottom of the cookies were way overcooked and the top wasn't really done yet. I figured it might just be that it's a black pan (so it'll absorb IR heat fast) and it didn't really get the hot air on top of the baking sheet for my cookies. I was also cooking from frozen, that may make it worse.

So probably letting it pre-heat more, adjusting temperature and time, maybe something like a silicone mat or parchment may help it be more even.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m in need of new kitchen utensils, slotted spoons, mixing spoons etc. Is there a go to set I should buy or should I piecemeal it together like I’ve been. If so, is there a list of good tools I can just zap up?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I just like piecemeal as you need them. ATK reviews are a great starting point, not that you always have to get their #1 pick, but they have good explanations so you can be like “actually I do want the bigger ladle even though it’s not dishwasher-safe” or whatever. Oxo tools are almost always good but not always the best.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

obi_ant posted:

I’m in need of new kitchen utensils, slotted spoons, mixing spoons etc. Is there a go to set I should buy or should I piecemeal it together like I’ve been. If so, is there a list of good tools I can just zap up?
Nah, don't get a set. Like any other kind of cooking stuff, they'll have stuff you don't need, they'll have stuff that's not great because the manufacturer doesn't specialize in that particular product, and they won't have the tools you actually need.

Do you mean a list of the things we think you need, or a list of tool recommendations?

You absolutely need at least one Oxo Goodgrips slanted measuring cups (for liquids). Never squint sideways at a meniscus again!

You want rectangular measuring spoons, because they will fit into your spice jars.

A cheap kitchen scale will do you fine for most things. I have this one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Di Oro silicone kitchen utensils. They're silicone all around so food won't get caught in crevices, and are a correct level of stiffness as to actually be useable while still being flexible.

We like allclad pots and pans here, especially as factory seconds.

I think an enameled cast iron is worth its weight, but if you're just bootstrapping a kitchen, i would direct my money elsewhere first.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

If you’re in Los Angeles or Orange County, the Zwilling store at the Citadel Outlets is doing a sale on Staubs, PLUS a buy one get one half off deal and the deals stack. In case you can find someone to go in on two with you

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You absolutely need at least one Oxo Goodgrips slanted measuring cups (for liquids). Never squint sideways at a meniscus again!

I have one of these and I actually hate measuring in it, it's also a terrible pourer which is not a great trait for a jug. I usually love the oxo good grips stuff but these are a no for me

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Aramoro posted:

I have one of these and I actually hate measuring in it, it's also a terrible pourer which is not a great trait for a jug. I usually love the oxo good grips stuff but these are a no for me
Fascinating! I find that they pour much more neatly than my glass ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Hell no

Dubious "air fryer" feature (which I don't think is nearly as functional as a dedicated air fryer, similar to my fancy oven's crummy "air fryer" feature) in exchange for an inferior-in-all-ways toaster oven? Thanks but no thanks.

I loooooooove my Breville toaster oven and feel strongly about it

Ok having tried the Cuisinart, it’s not terrible but I do get more even results with my breville toaster on toast and my Cosori on air frying

But main problem is it’s too tall

Barely any space under the cabinet for toaster pan storage or seasonings

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 20, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

With the topic of bootstrapping a kitchen, I want to share some videos I was tossing around in my head. I had to move again when covid started, and then I had relatives move in with me, so I'd been considering ways to pare my kitchen down in anticipation of moving.

Again.

Please note that I do not link these videos as gear recommendations, but more to help you figure out just how long your shopping list actually needs to be, first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YHuKx7xKU

I find Ethan Chlebowski to be uninteresting at best, but the video was useful for making sure I hit everything I need in a capsule kitchen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNnol6wc6QI

edit: oh right, epicurean cutting boards. Thread likes those, too.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 20, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Aren’t those the ones that make loud clack sounds when you cut on them

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dunno. They're on my shopping list when I conveniently lose my giant IKEA chopping board.

I was finally living by myself, damnit! I was gonna have my kitchen set up so that I could leave a large chopping board out on the counter all the time! And then my aunt is in the goddamn kitchen ALL drat DAY, and my poo poo gets sidelined and shoved to the back of the cupboards and poo poo. It drives me up the walls.

Either way, I routinely already use one wood and one plastic chopping board, the plastic one specifically for meats only.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Aren’t those the ones that make loud clack sounds when you cut on them
I have some with bumpers and little ones with no bumpers, but I don’t think I’ve heard them clack? I do put a silicone hot pad under the no-bumper ones if I’m cutting a lot fwiw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.3c00924?ref=PDF

Study seems to think plastic cutting boards will expose you to microplastic specks. Anyone more science-brained able to ascertain whether this is a real concern or not?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
How are you supposed to build up a natural immunity to microplastics if you don't use a plastic cutting board? You'll have to grate plastic packaging over your pasta like parmesan.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fascinating! I find that they pour much more neatly than my glass ones.

I'm not at home just now but I will demonstrate when I get home. My wife agrees with you but that's only when pouring a lot, when trying to pour a little it dribbles.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Best metal tools I have are from some barbecue kit. All one piece formed metal, no separate handles to trap water or fall off. They've lasted decades.

I think ikea sells similar.

I should maybe get a decent silicone spatula though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I bought some fairly cheap but sturdy no-name bamboo cutting board roughly 16"x22"x3/4".

I just hand wash it in the sink along with my knives immediately after using and it's held up like an absolute champ for >12 years of use >3-4 days per week. I have a couple of much smaller thin bamboo ones and they warp a lil if you let them stay wet for too long and will probably not last as long but are great for quick use when the big one is drying or if I just want a smaller board for some reason. I was dead broke when I bought all these so I guess what I am saying is that cutting boards don't have to be fussed over too much. I haven't noticed any negative impact of cutting on bamboo for my knives, if that is an issue I'd like to know!

It was basically something similar to this https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Organi...C79&sr=8-6&th=1

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Separate post but I was asking about it in the general Homeowner thread but maybe good to ask here?

My refrigerator is probably dying, I need another one hopefully with a better freezer layout and space than my current one. For now am considering this one because my kitchen / island setup requires the fridge to be "counter depth" and french doors (Large single door would collide with the island fully open).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-27-c...2038211#overlay

If there is a better place for this let me know but interested to hear opinions on fridge/freezers.

I give no fucks about it having ice or water dispensers, every ice machine on every fridge I have ever seen was broken shortly after or always an issue so that's not a mandatory requirement. I also don't plan to put my fridge on the wifi etc.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

How are you supposed to build up a natural immunity to microplastics if you don't use a plastic cutting board? You'll have to grate plastic packaging over your pasta like parmesan.

just walk near a shore

I think this is definitely in the category of "individual risk mitigation is near meaningless" unless you're somehow eating food for four all prepped on plastic cutting boards, but even then.

IMHO you should use wood for love of your knives and bacteria just don't really like it once it's dried.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

Separate post but I was asking about it in the general Homeowner thread but maybe good to ask here?

My refrigerator is probably dying, I need another one hopefully with a better freezer layout and space than my current one. For now am considering this one because my kitchen / island setup requires the fridge to be "counter depth" and french doors (Large single door would collide with the island fully open).

If there is a better place for this let me know but interested to hear opinions on fridge/freezers.

I give no fucks about it having ice or water dispensers, every ice machine on every fridge I have ever seen was broken shortly after or always an issue so that's not a mandatory requirement. I also don't plan to put my fridge on the wifi etc.

I have been told by owners of LG and Samsung fridges to never get LG or Samsung fridges. Reportedly their freezers are always malfunctioning

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Can confirm, I have an LG like that and the defrost cycle leaks water into my floor and the interior layout sucks.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Steve Yun posted:

I have been told by owners of LG and Samsung fridges to never get LG or Samsung fridges. Reportedly their freezers are always malfunctioning

I will take a look later at this model in particular when at my computer, but I just went through replacing a bunch of appliances. I bought a Consumer Reports membership, and also researched the hell out of a new frdige. Turns out Samsungs are now on the better end in terms of predicted reliability. The biggest factor in a fridge/freezer lasting long is the presence of an external water/ice dispenser. Anything like that that opens up externally tanks the reliability. One that is inside is fine, but the ideal is a complete lack of one (although in my opinion its not enough to warrant not having an ice maker).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

https://youtu.be/oC9PufP0UtI?si=FBRKYMLxsGUOQtUB

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Works posted:

We've had the standard depth version of that fridge for coming up on two years now with no complaints. It replaced a Fridgidaire that started eating poo poo within the first year.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have a Bosch fridge/freezer, it's been amazing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Don't forget that your local library likely has digital access to Consumer Reports! I log into my library website, click through its entry in our digital collection, and I get the whole site for free.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

swickles posted:

I will take a look later at this model in particular when at my computer, but I just went through replacing a bunch of appliances. I bought a Consumer Reports membership, and also researched the hell out of a new frdige. Turns out Samsungs are now on the better end in terms of predicted reliability. The biggest factor in a fridge/freezer lasting long is the presence of an external water/ice dispenser. Anything like that that opens up externally tanks the reliability. One that is inside is fine, but the ideal is a complete lack of one (although in my opinion its not enough to warrant not having an ice maker).

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Quoting this because yeah I think the water feed line to the fridge is not even connected for now (previous plumbing issue) so I doubt we will even bother to connect a supply line to the freezer and looking for ones without any ice or water dispenses gave very limited results. However limiting to internal only ice/water gives a lot of options including the LG I had linked already. I'd heard so many bad things about Samsung for so long I am a bit gunshy on them, and I also dont want any real smart perks etc which they kind of tend towards but I'll go check some out in person tomorrow. I still am leaning more towards that particular LG model though given that its in the price range, good internal volume, internal only ice and water etc. If I see a GE or Whirlpool or something with near identical features I might dig in on those a bit more. So far of the ones available in a <1 week timeframe there's not as many for those brands that are as good of a fit.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

effika posted:

Don't forget that your local library likely has digital access to Consumer Reports! I log into my library website, click through its entry in our digital collection, and I get the whole site for free.

+1 on this, my library definitely does. It's just another datapoint when comparing purchases imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
For the ones with internal ice makers, do they absolutely have to be hooked to a water line, or is there a reservoir you could fill with a pitcher?