Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I try to be as polite and accommodating as possible and I don’t recline my seat 95% of the time, but having to check if you can use the feature of the seat you paid for is ludicrous. You aren’t going to break someone’s nose by going back that 15 degrees.

I love folks who grind in the air on laptops but I think some defensive positioning in terms of putting your laptop slightly away from the seat in case of a recline might be the way.

Just expect the folks to use what they paid for (and then some) is how I tend to operate on commercial flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gucci Loafers posted:

Prior the pandemic I had almost over a hundred domestic flights and not even once have I had a silent protestor or anyone complain about me leaning back... 15 degrees?

Good for you. I've been slapped in the back of the head twice when American's lovely seat tips back a silly millimeter when I put weight on it and the person behind me couldn't handle it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

And good for you as well? I don’t understand why you’re being lovely to an opposite anecdote?

It sucks and shouldn’t happen and weird it’s happened to you twice. I hope you said something to someone about it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I forgot that the SkyClub membership now eats three benefits instead of two. I used to get GUCs + SkyClub membership, which ate up all three Diamond Choices nicely. Thoughts on what the "best" other two benefits to pick for Diamond are?

Other choices:

* $500 AmEx Credit
* Starbucks Stars (lol)
* $1000 MQD Boost (lol)
* Gold for Two Recipients
* 25,000 Bonus Miles (lol)
* $500 Delta Vacations
* Sustainable Fuel Contribution (lol)
* $250 Delta Flight Credit

These kinda suck now that I'm actually looking at picking them; I have another year technically to pick, but I wouldn't mind a GUC on my HND-SEA flight... it's only 9 hours (I am broke brain), so PS is not a big deal.

Feels like GUCs + $500 + the flight credit is the 'best' but considering how seemingly easily some of my friends / colleagues are hitting Plat or Diamond this year, Delta is not doing a great job at their mission of thinning ranks.

The whole big program change thing is independent from this, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The obvious answer is to give me gold

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Midjack posted:

Good for you. I've been slapped in the back of the head twice when American's lovely seat tips back a silly millimeter when I put weight on it and the person behind me couldn't handle it.

If someone physical hit me in the back of the head for any reason I don't think it would end well for them. Personally, if they don't want us reclining then remove it from the drat planes.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

About to fly to Seattle with a 2.5h layover in SFO. Are there any good oneworld lounges in SFO?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Beefeater1980 posted:

About to fly to Seattle with a 2.5h layover in SFO. Are there any good oneworld lounges in SFO?

There's both a BA and a Cathay lounge over in the international terminal, but that's it other than the regular Admiral's Club in Terminal 1.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KillHour posted:

Business Travel: The obvious answer is to give me gold

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

movax posted:

I forgot that the SkyClub membership now eats three benefits instead of two. I used to get GUCs + SkyClub membership, which ate up all three Diamond Choices nicely. Thoughts on what the "best" other two benefits to pick for Diamond are?

Other choices:

* $500 AmEx Credit
* Starbucks Stars (lol)
* $1000 MQD Boost (lol)
* Gold for Two Recipients
* 25,000 Bonus Miles (lol)
* $500 Delta Vacations
* Sustainable Fuel Contribution (lol)
* $250 Delta Flight Credit

These kinda suck now that I'm actually looking at picking them; I have another year technically to pick, but I wouldn't mind a GUC on my HND-SEA flight... it's only 9 hours (I am broke brain), so PS is not a big deal.

Feels like GUCs + $500 + the flight credit is the 'best' but considering how seemingly easily some of my friends / colleagues are hitting Plat or Diamond this year, Delta is not doing a great job at their mission of thinning ranks.

The whole big program change thing is independent from this, right?

A single $250 flight credit definitely isn't worth a selection. I'd do Gold for two. Gold is definitely worth $250, just a trip or two alone for anybody that checks bags would make it worth it. Find someone to trade with.

The problem with the new qualifying system is how many new minted elites there will be from credit cards. The ranks aren't thinned, they're just more profitable, it's just shuffling around the members. What will solve the lounge crowding issues will be the credit card holders being hit with limited passes instead of unlimited access.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I give my wife GM and probably will give my mother in law it as well since she loves that poo poo

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Business Travel: The obvious answer is to give my mother in law gold

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I bought a B&R carry on about 8 years ago and its starting to look a little ragged. I should have a couple months without travel coming up. I’d like to get it fixed up under warranty, but they don’t sell the same model anymore. Do they just send a new one of a similar model if they don’t make it anymore? I don’t really care what they do, but if they do replace it, I want one with the same dimensions. Anyone have experience with Briggs and Riley warranty repairs/refurbishments?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

I bought a B&R carry on about 8 years ago and its starting to look a little ragged. I should have a couple months without travel coming up. I’d like to get it fixed up under warranty, but they don’t sell the same model anymore. Do they just send a new one of a similar model if they don’t make it anymore? I don’t really care what they do, but if they do replace it, I want one with the same dimensions. Anyone have experience with Briggs and Riley warranty repairs/refurbishments?

They'll replace the damaged components with similar or next model up components. I don't know what they do if the whole thing is trashed.

I believe they now will send you the parts to self fix as an option, check their warranty page. Let me know what you do and how it works, I've got a handle that really needs to be replaced.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Got SQ Z on PER-SIN-NRT. First time on an A380 — makes me lol at D1 as a product. Might need to switch to them on APAC travel from now on…

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I just can’t love the SQ business hard product. The fold down into bed limits recline and the last few times I’ve kind of been like whatever about it. Book the cook does absolutely rule though even though if I’m in Singapore I’m doing everything in my power to not go to the airport hungry.

Singapore is a better spot to connect than NRT for ANA and Cathay sucks for regional.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

Got SQ Z on PER-SIN-NRT. First time on an A380 — makes me lol at D1 as a product. Might need to switch to them on APAC travel from now on…

Is Z Business or First? Either way it sounds like it'll be an amazing experience. I have a lot of nostalgia for Singapore Airlines growing up. They were truly the premium flag carrier and always a treat for us, even in economy class.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

i fly airplanes posted:

Is Z Business or First? Either way it sounds like it'll be an amazing experience. I have a lot of nostalgia for Singapore Airlines growing up. They were truly the premium flag carrier and always a treat for us, even in economy class.

Z should be biz.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, biz. A380 was cool; I fell right asleep but it was one of those configured with an all biz upper deck. So many little storage cubbies too.

Bed controls were weird but their IFE is killer… really responsive, nice big screen. Did Delta pick the Panasonic models with the cheapest single core Linux SoCs!??!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah the hard product is kinda odd, not bad but not the best. however soft product and experience are excellent

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The line at this tonkatsu place tells me I'm going to be having a very good meal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The line was correct

Also I'm drunk yay

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

The line was correct

Also I'm drunk yay

Oh come on share us the deets, where is it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's the Katsukura main shop in Kyoto

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holly gently caress. The okonomiyaki at Kiji. Go to Kiji.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tom&Jerry Bar. Go there too. I'm gonna have to update my map when I get home...

The bartender used to live in London. They have their own still for making custom gin!

e: go drunk killhour youre home *hic*

KillHour fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 17, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Good, clean living right there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Beef Of Ages posted:

Good, clean living right there.

It's why Japanese people are in such good shape and don't have obesity or heart problems at all

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I should really know this by now, but any tricks / method to going for a paid mileage or $$$ upgrade day of? Delta in this case.

Still a ton of D1 inventory for HND-SEA tomorrow, but I’m not going to throw 300,000 miles at it. Would do half of that though in a heartbeat.

They don’t do bidding so maybe I’m SOL, but figured I’d check to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

movax posted:

I should really know this by now, but any tricks / method to going for a paid mileage or $$$ upgrade day of? Delta in this case.

Still a ton of D1 inventory for HND-SEA tomorrow, but I’m not going to throw 300,000 miles at it. Would do half of that though in a heartbeat.

They don’t do bidding so maybe I’m SOL, but figured I’d check to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Not that I'm aware of. With that much D1 inventory and an upgrade price that high, I'd be willing to bet that the back might be oversold resulting in opups. Since you're Diamond, it might magically happen for you anyway. Nothing to count on for sure, though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

Not that I'm aware of. With that much D1 inventory and an upgrade price that high, I'd be willing to bet that the back might be oversold resulting in opups. Since you're Diamond, it might magically happen for you anyway. Nothing to count on for sure, though.

That would make my day… I see that PS filled up a bit since booking, only 1 or 2 left vs. 8 or so from a few weeks back. Fingers crossed — or if economy is oversold, with my luck, those folks will get upgraded straight to D1 vs PS.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

movax posted:

That would make my day… I see that PS filled up a bit since booking, only 1 or 2 left vs. 8 or so from a few weeks back. Fingers crossed — or if economy is oversold, with my luck, those folks will get upgraded straight to D1 vs PS.

With most carriers, standard procedure would bump you into PS. And then bump the displaced PS into D1.

Do GUCs clear only for 1 cabin now? Was it not Main Cabin to Premium Select and then waitlisted for Delta One?

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Holly gently caress. The okonomiyaki at Kiji. Go to Kiji.

This looks so freaking delicious because I know exactly how it's going to taste. Umami and texture bomb

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i fly airplanes posted:

With most carriers, standard procedure would bump you into PS. And then bump the displaced PS into D1.

Do GUCs clear only for 1 cabin now? Was it not Main Cabin to Premium Select and then waitlisted for Delta One?

Yeah — I booked PS from the start, I was just grousing that my luck would have Delta bump someone from economy right to D1 and leave me where I was. Oh well — I haven’t even checked the seat map for Main Cabin, for all I know there’s like 82 empty seats on it.

And yep, GUCs are just +1 class, so if you want D1, you need to buy PS.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
There anything I can do with an AA Business certificate for an upgrade US to not US that expires at the end of the year? Will they extend it if I beg?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there anything I can do with $2000 in Delta flight credits for flights that weren’t mine? They appeared in my account during all the Covid extensions a few years ago. They match my middle and last name, but not my first name.

I called to be honest a year ago but they’re still there. I’m going to lose them soon and it feels like a missed opportunity.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

There anything I can do with an AA Business certificate for an upgrade US to not US that expires at the end of the year? Will they extend it if I beg?

You can try to use it. If you can apply it to a flight next year you should be able to do that if it clears before the end of the year. I’m hazy if that has changed recently.

They will not extend it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

Yeah — I booked PS from the start, I was just grousing that my luck would have Delta bump someone from economy right to D1 and leave me where I was. Oh well — I haven’t even checked the seat map for Main Cabin, for all I know there’s like 82 empty seats on it.

And yep, GUCs are just +1 class, so if you want D1, you need to buy PS.

lol. Saw 4-5 people with boarding passes with NRSA get on in the D1 zone. Guess they all went to non-revs.

Ed’s revenue management algorithm was too greedy, I would have paid something!

movax fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 20, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

FunOne posted:

If you don’t end up using it I’ll buy it off you. We’re flying GVA > LFR > DFW > AUS to get home for xmas. Already in PE as it was actually cheaper than economy (PE Europe to US though LHR has been bonkers cheap this year), but would love to surprise my wife with an upgrade as a little Xmas gift - I’ve flown upfront more than she has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Don’t say the quiet part out loud