Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

gradenko_2000 posted:

Why should cars be allowed to pass each other in the first place?

Lol someone once claimed to me thats why cars shouldnt have speed limit governors on them. You see cars need to pass! And im like if they are going below the speed limit then you can pass them and if they arent you wouldnt need to pass them and if you are side by side and needed to get into their lane then you could just slow down.

I gave up on it. The whole concept of not needing to speed to get around people just... didnt land for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

Lol someone once claimed to me thats why cars shouldnt have speed limit governors on them. You see cars need to pass! And im like if they are going below the speed limit then you can pass them and if they arent you wouldnt need to pass them and if you are side by side and needed to get into their lane then you could just slow down.

I gave up on it. The whole concept of not needing to speed to get around people just... didnt land for some reason.

in washington you can legally exceed the speed limit to pass someone on a highway with only a single lane in each direction (obviously only at designated passing spots)

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

silicone thrills posted:

I saw someone make that argument today replying to a post advocating for speed limiters. Gotta be able to accelerate out of danger!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FlutieFlake posted:

I have heard worse ideas. If it makes drivers uncomfortable enough to slow down, it is probably safer than a normal two lane road with no protected bike lanes.

I saw a YouTube video a while ago about a similar road that got into the benefits and drawbacks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeynqnirofE

I've been harassed, threatened, and had poo poo thrown at me for taking up the full right lane as a cyclist. There was no one in the left lane. They were just mad they had to merge to pass me because I'm not a car.

So I'm sure drivers will respect these fake bike lanes.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/nzherald/status/1726017757773242813

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
couldn't she idk park and use the bathroom in the mall they were in?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Celexi posted:

Cars are poo poo, it's not like adding a tiny amount of poo poo to a literal ton of poo poo makes a difference

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

jesus christ,

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Celexi posted:

quote:

“I was with my girlfriend, and she has had to pee herself due to the fact we were stuck for so long. Not ideal, but desperate times call for desperate measures,” he said.

“We didn’t think it was safe to leave the vehicle, so we [were] thirsty and hungry, and this is just a complete disaster.”

even better, there was someone there to take the wheel so they wouldn't even lose their spot in line

brilliant minds

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

We can't stop here this is Ford country

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

even better, there was someone there to take the wheel so they wouldn't even lose their spot in line

brilliant minds

Typical rotted-out carbrain, it's unsafe to leave your multi ton soundproof metal box

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Typical rotted-out carbrain, it's unsafe to leave your multi ton soundproof metal box

Well it does sound like they were surrounded by cars which would be inherently unsafe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

my wife will miss an exit trying to pass and cut someone off instead of slowing down slightly and merging behind them.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
whats the deal when that's happening? aggression? spacial unawareness?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

spiritual bypass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIs2PMXvAmQ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

aggression
driving makes many lose it

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

really sucks the idaho stop isn't everywhere like it should be.

oh, neat. it's had a heyday in the last few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do they not know about piss jugs in New Zealand?

silicone thrills posted:

The whole concept of not needing to speed to get around people just... didnt land for some reason.

I think that in the coming decades we're going to learn that leaded gasoline had way more deleterious effects on the nervous system than we ever knew.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Don't airplanes still use leaded fuel

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

Don't airplanes still use leaded fuel

any non-turboprop or non-jet uses leaded gas

LIterallyABikeshop has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Nov 19, 2023

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is that why airports smell the way they do?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is that why airports smell the way they do?

Is that an American thing? Never noticed a particular airport smell.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

genericnick posted:

Is that an American thing? Never noticed a particular airport smell.

There's a subtle but distinct fuel smell in the air, particularly in areas that get outside air.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
A friend of mine has a house not too far from CDG airport and she said the neighbors' pool would get a thick layer of black poo poo if left uncovered.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's a subtle but distinct fuel smell in the air, particularly in areas that get outside air.

that's just what kerosene, jet fuel, or offroad (unscented) diesel exhaust smells like. euro airports smell the same in my experience

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Cyclists can take the lane here on any road, this makes drivers seethe with rage.
It's the loving best, especially when there's a bad+dirty bike lane while the normal lane's been swept a bunch. And anyone dares honk you can just park in the lane and stroll over to have a chat, drivers love that.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

spiritual bypass posted:

last one + bad habits

people are all biologically pretty bad at:
judging distances
judging speeds
tracking motion/spatial stuff behind whatever they're focusing on

if you look to the furthest visible part of your path your brain processes the stimuli in a batch & makes better use of all the info

untrained drivers will fixate on nearer things & stop tracking whats happening beyond them and make poor decisions bc of it

its the source of a lot of mistakes + also makes traffic way worse bc people only watch the car infront & dont follow the avg speed of the body of traffic

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Two lanes with a dotted centerline would be less stupid than this. Cyclists take the lane, motorists cross centerline to pass.

e: lol the “surveyor” scooter segment

:911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeynqnirofE&t=340s

road guy rob is so funny. i love him

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol blame the staff

quote:

The lack of accountability and the absence of duty of care by staff was despicable’

The response from staff at the mall on the day drew the ire of many of the stranded customers.

Todd said she and a lot of people tried to find answers and information from staff within the mall about what they were supposed to be doing.

“People were coming in with babies who had been stuck in their cars for hours and were doing their best to remain calm and patient but their frustration with mall staff was clear,” she said.

Todd said staff had contacted the people they needed to to adjust the traffic light phasing outside the mall but when this was clearly not working they had no other solution to the problem.

“I enquired as to whether the police and traffic control had been called to aid the rising situation, he replied no and he had no intention of asking them for support.

“I witnessed staff members speak incredibly rudely to members of the public who were simply frustrated and looking to him for answers and reassurance.”

Another customer had a similar experience.

“I asked the desk assistant who was in tears after three-plus hours to talk to someone senior. She had been trying to call the car park manager but he was not answering his phone as it was his day off.”

A senior staff member then said there was nothing practical they could do and the responsibility was with Auckland Transport Operation Centre.

“That they could control the volume of traffic around the mall and further that they did not expect the volume of customers - 22,000 today.

“He called one upset customer a terrible person when he asked logistical questions about management and resources at Westfield,” she said.

“There was no accountability.”

Westfield’s head office reportedly said heavy traffic on Broadway was behind the delays exiting the mall.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

spiritual bypass posted:

this is how things already work on narrow two-way streets built before cars dominated. works pretty well, forces drivers to pay attention

i drive a box truck for a living and you are wrong. People will drive right up to my front bumper and honk at me.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

wife and I leisurely cycled to The Opera and back for a fun date night. got passed on the way home by some of the orchestra booking it home on bike with their instruments o7

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
where do you fall on the car alignment chart

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

bottom left three, but recognizing that cars and car infrastructure are obesogenic doesn't necessarily make you fat-phobic

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
where's the one that acknowledges cars are fun as hell to drive

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

you want more yuppies so you can have more large buildings in your dense residential zone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

no road but the rail road

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

no road but the rail road

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

belt and capitalist roader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU