Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Sokani posted:

Overall the TCM patch coming at the end of the month looks solid. For the curious:

-2 new characters
-1 new map
-Leatherface no longer required
-Grandpa cutscene removed
-Faster pre-game lobby
-Victims can't use their power in the first 60 seconds of the match
-Gas station map rework to nerf the fastest escapes

They plan to follow it up with a perk balance pass.

They're also moving the Pressure Valve up to the main level on Slaughterhouse. They are definitely not removing the Leatherface barriers if people don't choose him. They are going to sit back and watch the whiners whine over that. All the changes for the most part seem good. I wish they wouldn't have removed the SWF indicators though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1725700728428359784?t=YPmFmO5_739hCEPijNYUNw&s=19

Too bad it's Mobile

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can you really even play TCM effectively without Leatherface? Without his ability to break loops, and the fact that he's the primary threat in the early game, it seems like there was a very good reason he was hard locked in.

As someone who's played a ton, it's gonna suck real bad when the already limited movement characters (Johnny, Cook) get even more limited via Leatherface not being around to destroy barricades, perma-block crawl spaces and stuff.

I feel like at some point they're gonna have to roll that one back or make another change once people realize "Oh, they can just back and forth stall me out forever" at even more places than usual and start yelling.

Thank fuckin god for the gas station changes though, especially combined with no victim powers for a minute, because if a Connie could reach the gas station at any point she was pretty much getting a free escape and that exit getting opened made the rest of the match all but require someone play constant door duty. (Depending on family characters and all that to a degree)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 19, 2023

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

BHVR is so terrible.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like at some point they're gonna have to roll that one back or make another change once people realize "Oh, they can just back and forth stall me out forever" at even more places than usual and start yelling.

Knowing the devs a bit, this is a complete "gently caress YOU" for everyone asking for the Leatherface requirement to go away. They're going to sit back and feast on the tears of whiny bitches. I play LF like 75% of the time so I don't give a poo poo.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Pre-match lobby, and they legit left.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Fuckin lol, apparently no LF does also mean there's just nobody in the basement with victims until grandpa wakes up, this is getting so stupid sounding.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Yardbomb posted:

Fuckin lol, apparently no LF does also mean there's just nobody in the basement with victims until grandpa wakes up, this is getting so stupid sounding.

? Either grandpa wakes up in the first 8 seconds or you wake him up with the blood buckets you gathered on the way to the basement doors. Altars being indestructible is interesting but I don't really see other problems.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sokani posted:

? Either grandpa wakes up in the first 8 seconds or you wake him up with the blood buckets you gathered on the way to the basement doors. Altars being indestructible is interesting but I don't really see other problems.

Mostly what I'm thinking is that victims are gonna be able to load up on items even more undisturbed right at the start, which could suck pretty bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

rydiafan posted:

Rydia, you don't suck. I like your posting in this thread, and I like how you're able to have realistic but balanced takes on a game we all have a complicated relationship with. You also have a lot of knowledge about the game, and I always appreciate hearing it.

Just in case you wanted to hear an opposing opinion.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Extremely tame compared to how dbd chat usually goes, tbh.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Rydia, you don't suck. I like your posting in this thread, and I like how you're able to have realistic but balanced takes on a game we all have a complicated relationship with. You also have a lot of knowledge about the game, and I always appreciate hearing it.

Just in case you wanted to hear an opposing opinion.
:emptyquote:

Otz talked a bit on stream about how the matchmaking has been weirdly brutal and his friends who normally get dozens of wins in a row during streaks are getting wiped just a few games in, nonstop comp Blights and Nurses, teams full of p100s, etc. Saying the matchmaking feels a lot like when they tightened up the ranks during MMR tests so that you only get people closer to your level. Anecdotally I've seen a lot of matchmaking weirdness, not just with brutal teams but also getting served up baby teams that have no business being against a killer with nearly 2000 hours.

Anyone else having matchmaking problems?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yardbomb posted:

As someone who's played a ton, it's gonna suck real bad when the already limited movement characters (Johnny, Cook) get even more limited via Leatherface not being around to destroy barricades, perma-block crawl spaces and stuff.

Thank fuckin god for the gas station changes though, especially combined with no victim powers for a minute, because if a Connie could reach the gas station at any point she was pretty much getting a free escape and that exit getting opened made the rest of the match all but require someone play constant door duty. (Depending on family characters and all that to a degree)

Yeah this is going to be rough for the game. I get it, playerbase is down and people want to play the character they have been leveling. But when you base your whole game around a central pillar you're going to have a lot of trouble doing anything without it. I guess they want the community to just naturally learn to have one leatherface but good loving luck if it's not mandatory.

They should be looking more at why people don't find Leatherface engaging. He's a giant man with a chainsaw and the face of the entire series, so why don't people want to play him? IMO despite his weapon he is a lot more of an utility character than he appears. It's actually pretty hard to get kills with LF since he is so slow and loud, and the most effective use of him is just going around the map smashing loops. Which is utterly critical to winning the game but since it's not directly contributing to Grandpa x-ray vision levels or smacking survivors it's "boring".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

:emptyquote:

Otz talked a bit on stream about how the matchmaking has been weirdly brutal and his friends who normally get dozens of wins in a row during streaks are getting wiped just a few games in, nonstop comp Blights and Nurses, teams full of p100s, etc. Saying the matchmaking feels a lot like when they tightened up the ranks during MMR tests so that you only get people closer to your level. Anecdotally I've seen a lot of matchmaking weirdness, not just with brutal teams but also getting served up baby teams that have no business being against a killer with nearly 2000 hours.

Anyone else having matchmaking problems?

I haven't tried it but have heard the same. I logged off after I finished the event and haven't logged on since other than getting daily login rewards. With the new Amazon code I'm sitting on just over 2.8 million BPs ready to dump into Chucky next week. :D

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

They should be looking more at why people don't find Leatherface engaging.

Really one thing was that a whole bunch of people likely got scared off playing LF from back when people could still be real pricks with door/chain stuns, then never cared to try him again even though they did something about that.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Yardbomb posted:

Really one thing was that a whole bunch of people likely got scared off playing LF from back when people could still be real pricks with door/chain stuns, then never cared to try him again even though they did something about that.

I think the early game bullying has a hand in it for sure.

I mostly play Leatherface, in the beginning it was because of everyone avoiding him, but I actually enjoy it. I like all 3 of the original characters each for their own reasons.

Watching the whiny playerbase turn into a puddle of tears will be hilarious to me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Relyssa posted:

Indeed. I was told to unalive myself just the other night because I was running Pain Resonance while all four of the SWF had Made For This and assorted meta perks.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gun has to bite the bullet and let the family be a little better than the survivors. They keep nerfing Family even when no one wants to play them as is. I haven't played survivor once because I just don't have time for those queues.

I really want to play all the Family but they keep nerfing everyone except HH and Sissy

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Relyssa posted:

Yeah, it was just weird because it was in pre-game. Like, I won't deny that I suck, but they could have at least waited until I proved it.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

opposing opinion

I appreciate it. I was more bemused than actually hurt, but I'll absolutely take the affirmation. :)

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah I got told "feng I hate you" in pregame chat last week and I only noticed it in like the last 10 seconds of the timer since I'm so used to nobody saying anything and all I managed to say was "what". They left in post-game chat so I never got clarification.

Probably just the usual Feng Min hater bullshit but ??????

Though nothing beats the time I got a litany of homophobic slurs and misogynist poo poo in endgame chat, specifically targeting me for stating I'm a nonbinary lesbian in my profile, but at least that one had extremely funny circumstances: I was on killer (Singularity), and this guy downed under a pallet. His SWF couldn't save him despite this + having flashlights, and he had Power Struggle (which he failed to use). I camped him (endgame collapse, pre-hook grab changes) and everyone left his rear end behind.

Everyone else got out. It was just him who died, and this was after a protracted chase in Endgame Collapse where I was mostly loving around with my orbs after a largely frustrating game on my side because I was struggling to learn Singularity and his power was really disorienting. Like, it would've been pretty breezy on their end, and no camping+tunneling except for that endgame camp.

Him and his SWF friend were loving PISSED. Lmao and lol at being that salty and "I'm not owned!!!" over the killer getting a 1k because you and your team were too incompetent. I'm not going to lie and pretend it isn't rattling to get hit with someone calling you targeted slurs like that but it's nice to know it was because they were desperately trying to regain some semblance of ego. I just kept responding with "sorry what" "i'm a what" as they tried to evade the censors, then "so like to be clear you're insulting me specifically because i'm gay, am I understanding that right" to get them to telegraph it as well as possible so I could report them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Why does Mobile get fun modes and changes while PC struggles to get even special events? Is it just that they don't feel lashed to the idea of "competitive balance" on mobile as much?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why does Mobile get fun modes and changes while PC struggles to get even special events? Is it just that they don't feel lashed to the idea of "competitive balance" on mobile as much?

Maybe they have different team working on different version on the game, making it so that one can do a bit what they want since the majority of the playerbase seem to be console/PC?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Maybe they have different team working on different version on the game, making it so that one can do a bit what they want since the majority of the playerbase seem to be console/PC?

They're actually made by different companies, from what I understand BHVR lease to Netease

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

On the bright side, the visual heartbeat indicator proves that some things that originate in the mobile version can come over to the main game.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, they had to rebuild the game from the ground up for mobile, so they leased out to a company that's good at that. They have different dev teams, event schedules, and creative teams (Mobile gets a bunch of cosmetics we don't, some of which are fantastic, though some of them feel a little 'cheap recolor' or generally less 'lore compliant' - that is to say, kinda outside of the scope of what that character might realistically wear).

They don't have every killer we do, and some licensed stuff is missing, I'm guessing partly due to rights issues. But they have a bunch of little features we don't, like being able to see your team's perks in the lobby (!!) or changing your mori animation. I think they also have constant bloodhunt-esque bonus events.

That said, the main DBD dev team does seem to be taking notice of some of DBD Mobile's more popular stuff that people have been complaining about not being present in the main game. That recent Feng Min halloween skin was actually ported over from mobile. Like rydiafan said, the visual terror radius indicator that you can optionally turn on (with the glowing heart in the character's chest) is actually a feature that originated on mobile, because when you're on mobile you're more likely to have lovely speakers/be playing in public where you can't have the theme jacked up or whatever, and they recreated it in the main game as an accessibility thing so deaf/HoH players wouldn't have to constantly have Stake Out/Spine Chill equipped.

I've heard the game is actually pretty good if you're into mobile gaming. I imagine it's most popular in countries like Japan where mobage is really big, especially considering how much time they spend on public transit. Japan has a surprisingly big DBD community in general and it's pretty awesome:

https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1697571754095571217
https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1705788516419227818
https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1666036188711628800
https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1682341565703004160

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Yeah, they had to rebuild the game from the ground up for mobile, so they leased out to a company that's good at that. They have different dev teams, event schedules, and creative teams (Mobile gets a bunch of cosmetics we don't, some of which are fantastic, though some of them feel a little 'cheap recolor' or generally less 'lore compliant' - that is to say, kinda outside of the scope of what that character might realistically wear).

They don't have every killer we do, and some licensed stuff is missing, I'm guessing partly due to rights issues. But they have a bunch of little features we don't, like being able to see your team's perks in the lobby (!!) or changing your mori animation. I think they also have constant bloodhunt-esque bonus events.

That said, the main DBD dev team does seem to be taking notice of some of DBD Mobile's more popular stuff that people have been complaining about not being present in the main game. That recent Feng Min halloween skin was actually ported over from mobile. Like rydiafan said, the visual terror radius indicator that you can optionally turn on (with the glowing heart in the character's chest) is actually a feature that originated on mobile, because when you're on mobile you're more likely to have lovely speakers/be playing in public where you can't have the theme jacked up or whatever, and they recreated it in the main game as an accessibility thing so deaf/HoH players wouldn't have to constantly have Stake Out/Spine Chill equipped.

I've heard the game is actually pretty good if you're into mobile gaming. I imagine it's most popular in countries like Japan where mobage is really big, especially considering how much time they spend on public transit. Japan has a surprisingly big DBD community in general and it's pretty awesome:

https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1697571754095571217
https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1705788516419227818
https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1666036188711628800
https://twitter.com/tori_si_ro/status/1682341565703004160

Holy poo poo those comics are amazing lol, thanks for posting those

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Umbreon posted:

Holy poo poo those comics are amazing lol, thanks for posting those

It's definitely worth scrolling their twitter, all of their pics (that I've seen) are amazing and SFW and most of them have a basic English subtitle. It's pretty incredible how universal some DBD experiences are despite being separated by a different language and culture. Kind of heartwarming in a way that all of us, collectively, are dealing with the same goofy poo poo in this garbage game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If we're talking fanart, this is one of my faves

https://x.com/oureycolors/status/1674552251061501953?s=20

It's either Mike and Laurie with their 3d glasses, or David and Huntress being Homosexual Life Partners that are my favourite

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Danaru posted:

If we're talking fanart, this is one of my faves

Oh, I love this one! It's so full of cute details, like being perfectly in release order, for one. But also really attentive to the characters' personalities, like how Ghostface is showing Nancy a writing pad and she's taking notes, because DBD-Ghostface's backstory has him being a newspaper reporter, and in Stranger Things, Nancy desperately wants to be a reporter :kimchi:

And Jill's Sandwich.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Big fan of Blight turning Pyramid Head into a ‘roided out monster

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The thing for DBD mobile is that like, netease makes DBD mobile, but they also make Identity V, which if you're gonna play an asymmetrical mobile game has a lot more weird modes and wild stuff.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Yardbomb posted:

The thing for DBD mobile is that like, netease makes DBD mobile, but they also make Identity V, which if you're gonna play an asymmetrical mobile game has a lot more weird modes and wild stuff.

Oh so that's why they haven't gotten nuked with a lawsuit for plagiarism! They make both game!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Oh so that's why they haven't gotten nuked with a lawsuit for plagiarism! They make both game!

Yep! BHVR came to them because they made Identity V first and it was/is doing pretty good for itself, so then two-three years after IDV, DBD mobile was made with a partnership.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yardbomb posted:

Yep! BHVR came to them because they made Identity V first and it was/is doing pretty good for itself, so then two-three years after IDV, DBD mobile was made with a partnership.

Remarkably smart on their part, honestly. Very astute of BHVR to understand that IDV doesn't pose any material threat to them when DBD is way more focused on its own formula and licensed horror stuff, so they kind of appeal to different niches (especially since IDV is mobile only right?). Especially at this stage, DBD seems "too big to fail" with how many tie-ins it has and diehards, so there's no need to discourage the competition - even better to work with them outright so you can use their good ideas.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Remarkably smart on their part, honestly. Very astute of BHVR to understand that IDV doesn't pose any material threat to them when DBD is way more focused on its own formula and licensed horror stuff, so they kind of appeal to different niches (especially since IDV is mobile only right?). Especially at this stage, DBD seems "too big to fail" with how many tie-ins it has and diehards, so there's no need to discourage the competition - even better to work with them outright so you can use their good ideas.

IDV is practically mobile only, there IS a PC client and it used to be allowed to play with the mobile players too, but then their main market got mad about it and they cut it off, so it's kind of a wasteland.

But IDV still eats real good cause they don't need movie licenses, they get anime licenses and make hot guy skins and let the fujoshi money roll in lol

They even did Danganronpa skins and you better believe that sold like hotcakes

(If you've never seen IDV, the characters are doll/puppet aesthetic, looks neat most times)

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 20, 2023

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://twitter.com/HensDBD/status/1726603818589467084

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

One of the side effects of that is that today Hens, JRM and a couple of others were literally waiting 20+ minutes for matches. I am all for stricter matchmaking because it doesn't do anyone any favours when one group just completely loving dunks on the other side over and over again, but people having to wait insane amounts of time to get matches also isn't good.

E: and of course because this game has the largest collection of insanely fragile piss babies ever assembled outside the Republican National Convention, this is just going to lead to more and more people DCing and throwing tantrums when they realize they can't cruise control their way to sick flashy saves and jukes, because they will just be playing against sweaty Blights and Nurses all the time, or conversely against sweaty SWF squads with all the best items.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 20, 2023

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
This is why I maintain a strict policy of losing. Problem solved :colbert:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sokani posted:

This is why I maintain a strict policy of losing. Problem solved :colbert:

Oh yeah, as a very average and now also rusty killer, I'm not going to cry about not facing the sweatiest nerds in the universe anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s crazy how people drop on the first hook. Worse is the people who intentionally die to avoid penalties for disconnecting, thus dooming their team to do five gens with three survivors.