Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Splint Chesthair posted:

Ironically the legend goes that if it wasn’t for Murray, Hudson would have been given hardly any lines in the original.

I heard that, too. Apparently, a lot of Winston's lines were originally someone else's. So... Like.... They'd just have one guy who doesn't talk? Like the first two seasons of The Shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon-Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Meow!

Timby posted:

That scene bothers the poo poo out of me because the passage Ray quotes is from Revelation 6, not 7.

He also gets the year of the Tunguska blast off by 1, so I've always interpreted it as the character just being a little off with his numbers. :3:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I heard that, too. Apparently, a lot of Winston's lines were originally someone else's. So... Like.... They'd just have one guy who doesn't talk? Like the first two seasons of The Shield?

Yea assuming this is true and considering they had already drastically reduced Winston’s part from when he was an Air Force major, it seems like after they couldn’t get (or couldn’t afford?) Eddie Murphy they just…didn’t know what to do with him and kept him as just a nebulous fourth guy.

I’ve always been really happy with the Winston we got for GB1 despite all that tho, I think the bigger crime was keeping him out of a bunch of the GB2 early scenes just as a way to kind of artificially force it into the same general pattern of GB1.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Poor Ronnie. Never could catch a break.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea assuming this is true and considering they had already drastically reduced Winston’s part from when he was an Air Force major, it seems like after they couldn’t get (or couldn’t afford?) Eddie Murphy they just…didn’t know what to do with him and kept him as just a nebulous fourth guy.

I wouldn't be surprised if their idea was "We'll get Eddie Murphy, then instead of writing a bunch of stuff for him, just have him improv his stuff during scenes, and we'll keep what works."

And then when they could get him, they hired a more classical actor, who then didn't have much to do in the script.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And Ghostbusters 2 was one of four movies my mom pulled me out of school with my brother to go see (I was in High School, lol).

So what were the other 3?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

So what were the other 3?

The feature film adaptations of Bass Masters.

It's a fishing movie.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Garnier_Andrew/status/1725982911864737872

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The feature film adaptations of Bass Masters.

It's a fishing movie.

Oh yeah I’ve seen bass masters

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

banned from Starbucks posted:

Poor Ronnie. Never could catch a break.

Then when he does talk and say he thinks he's being followed they ignore him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just a heads up, Spirits Unleashed is fantastic. There are visual options for every single GB era, and oh my god, I can use the RGB gear, which is what Kenner had based their toys on. Like my blue GB trap is in my sons room right now, and I can also use it in the game.

If you're a fan like I'm sure we all are, don't sleep on this.

The busting is more fun than the 2009 game (and I loved it then), there are customization options out the rear end (someone made Mcready from The Thing), you get to explore the entire firehouse, and playing as the ghost is like a way better version of Haunting Starring Polterguy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just a heads up, Spirits Unleashed is fantastic. There are visual options for every single GB era, and oh my god, I can use the RGB gear, which is what Kenner had based their toys on. Like my blue GB trap is in my sons room right now, and I can also use it in the game.

The busting is more fun than the 2009 game (and I loved it then), there are customization options out the rear end (someone made Mcready from The Thing), you get to explore the entire firehouse, and playing as the ghost is like a way better version of Haunting Starring Polterguy.

Is there a single player option?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Is there a single player option?

Yes! Obviously it's better with other people, but all of the other characters can be set as bots, which they are unless people join.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Yes! Obviously it's better with other people, but all of the other characters can be set as bots, which they are unless people join.

Cool!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

One very weird thing that's incredibly obvious to those of us here who have seen the first move more times than years we're alive is that all of the musical tracks are sound-alikes from the score. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, because they do a great job, even using the same instruments (like there's an ondes martinot used, and whatever synth creates that.... 'spindly' sound, which appears in the movie as Peter tries to wipe the slime off of his hand in the library). It's all fine, but the theme song, afaik, is missing. Weird given that they've pretty much done a massive deep dive with everything else. Both Extreme Ghostbusters and 2016 are represented. I mean, I was using a haircut that I liked, and it turned out it was Abbie's (Melissa Mccarthy's) hair from AtC :shrug:

You can even get the tube pompadour that Egon in RGB had, as well as Holtzmann's do.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 19, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Egon’s RGB hair can’t exist in real life.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I know, I've said so multiple times in this thread dammit! Play it every night, it's fun as hell

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I know, I've said so multiple times in this thread dammit! Play it every night, it's fun as hell

It's so good. It's honestly what I wish the 2009 game would've been. Ideally, there'd be the 2009 campaign/story, and then this game as a kind of like constant job/work-like setup, if they were going to be in the same package.

I just want to drive the Ecto AND bust ghosts. I can drive it in Rocket League, Burnout Paradise, GTA Online and probably other games, but I want to drive it IN a game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alan_Shore posted:

You’re convincing me to want to buy it, do goons play it together? I’d be buying it on Xbox, is it cross-play compatible?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You’re convincing me to want to buy it, do goons play it together? I’d be buying it on Xbox, is it cross-play compatible?

It is cross-play compatible, just sign in with your epic account.

However, Switch crossplay is currently borked, as they haven't yet pushed out the 1.7.1 update. I assume that'll be fixed soon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hot drat. Does it play well with a mouse and keyboard? I don't do dual analog.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd be down for some crossplay (I'm on Steam Deck). As long as we don't cross the streams

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

I'd be down for some crossplay (I'm on Steam Deck). As long as we don't cross the streams

It plays incredibly well on the Deck, especially with using gyro aim, and the back buttons for jumping.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm glad they brought in more customisation in general, I made my character a Kylie Griffin knock off when it launched as every multiplayer game was just a team of giant buff dudes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is the customisation all free, or is it locked behind microtransactions?

Garvey
Jul 19, 2010
Customisation is all free, I don't even think there's a microtransaction option, although with the caveat that a lot of it is locked behind completing certain tasks.

I kinda suspect the score weirdness is to prevent copyright strikes on streamers, but I really like the new score so it's all good.

The games great fun if you're into asymmetrical multiplayer, and has some real genuine love for the series. They've recently added customisation options to have your gear look made out of cardboard, with details drawn on, which I'm sure a lot of us had when we were young!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Garvey posted:

The games great fun if you're into asymmetrical multiplayer, and has some real genuine love for the series. They've recently added customisation options to have your gear look made out of cardboard, with details drawn on, which I'm sure a lot of us had when we were young!

Yeah, there's 'classic' which is from the movies, RGB which also mirrors the toys, Extreme GB gear, 2016 gear with the cyclotron on the top, and then a set that is called 'Fanatical' which looks like a fan put it together. You can see cardboard and some duct tape; it looks incredible.

Protip: when you're switching out your gear types (this isn't about the look, but the actual equipment components that change your stats), don't sleep on battery efficiency for your traps, especially if you're playing solo; more often than not, I put a trap down which opens automatically (a piece of gear does that like it's a bonus, but I'm thinking I might want to just open it myself) and while it's open, its battery runs down quickly. The battery recharges when you pull the trap back, but I recommend getting gear that boosts your battery efficiency.

The main action loop is:

-use PKE meter to find the general direction of a ghost, though if it's a bot, it does an awful job of hiding
- throw down a trap
- blast them to wrangle them towards the trap, which is already open or you press a button to open it.

The main problem is, and I'm speaking as a solo player, but I'll be playing with others soon, is that you'd want to blast a ghost the moment you see one, but while you're blasting, you can't throw a trap. So you'd have to throw one first.... Except a) if the battery sucks and it opens automatically, you should close it right away to save battery power or you won't have a trap, and b) sometimes the ghost moves on very quickly and by the time the trap is down, the ghost is elsewhere.

So, this game REALLY benefits from it being a team effort. Like in the ballroom in GB1 and courtroom in GB2. Someone's gotta wrangle, someone's gotta trap. It's much more difficult to 'hold'em yourself'.

Also, very important... Your jump isn't great, and you can't even jump onto the Ecto-1's hood, but you CAN jump over the half wall to Venkmann's office, which I do every time I go there.

Edit: holy poo poo this game is better with actual people and not pubbies or bots.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 21, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rewatched Ghostbusters Afterlife this morning after having not seen it since it came out.

I I still like it quite a bit?

It coasts on nostalgia pretty hard but I felt it smoothed out more on a rewatch. There was still some egregious stuff (the Twinkie in the Ecto-1 glove box was pretty bad) but on the whole I don’t mind it. Even the Gozer retread didn’t really bother me on the rewatch - yeah it could have been neat if they’d done something new, but ultimately I’m okay with it (and it looks like the sequel will deliver on something new anyway).

I’m not even bothered by Ray’s “Egon Spengler can burn in hell”, the broader movie context frames it as Egon not explaining it particularly well and suddenly just taking most of the Ghostbusters’ equipment and leaving to parts unknown, essentially singlehandedly killing the Ghostbusters, and I can see how that would rub Ray the wrong way - he also almost immediately softens on his opinion when he hears Egon died, and apologizes to him by the end of the movie.

I know resurrecting dead actors is controversial, but I feel the movie did it tastefully and I really don’t have a problem with it, especially since the filmmakers consulted with Ramis’s family and I feel that they gave the proper reverence and care to the character and the actor. But I get why people wouldn’t like it, and that’s okay. I’m just not personally bothered by it.

All in all I’m glad I rewatched it, and I’m looking forward to the new movie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It stunk but I am legitimately jealous of your ability to enjoy seemingly everything - it'd be a lot more fun than being critical. Afterlife was a lazy rehash in ways that'd make GB2 blush and I'd say is worse than 2016 which was already pretty bad (but for different reasons). I thought it was the nadir of these kind of nostalgia baiting sequel-reboots especially with ghostly Ramis showing up. Laughed when the screenshots first got posted on Twitter it was like when Rise of Skywalker spoilers started getting posted.

The trailer for the new one looks awful and the title is terrible. The series - such that it was - died with Ramis as it's nothing without the chemistry between the main three.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

If the next one is good, then I'll retroactively appreciate Afterlife more for at least allowing FE to exist.

I absolutely see the critiques of Afterlife and while I don't share them exactly, or at least not as much, I haven't rewatched it since I saw it in theatres.

I've watched 1 and 2 a few times since then :shrug:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Groovelord Neato posted:

It stunk but I am legitimately jealous of your ability to enjoy seemingly everything - it'd be a lot more fun than being critical. Afterlife was a lazy rehash in ways that'd make GB2 blush and I'd say is worse than 2016 which was already pretty bad (but for different reasons). I thought it was the nadir of these kind of nostalgia baiting sequel-reboots especially with ghostly Ramis showing up. Laughed when the screenshots first got posted on Twitter it was like when Rise of Skywalker spoilers started getting posted.

The trailer for the new one looks awful and the title is terrible. The series - such that it was - died with Ramis as it's nothing without the chemistry between the main three.

Yea, agree with everything here.

At this point ghostbusters is a franchise with one nearly perfect movie and 3 movies that are various degrees of awful. Really should have just left the whole thing alone after the original.

Imagine if Ferris Bueller had a sequel, a remake, and a reboot. That's how I feel about the gb franchise.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Imagine calling GB2 awful smh

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I don't have to imagine it I do it all the time

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

I don't have to imagine it I do it all the time
Everything you are doing is bad. I want you to know this

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alan_Shore posted:

Imagine calling GB2 awful smh

Don’t have to imagine it buddy

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The problem of Ghostbusters is, straightforwardly, that it's about ghosts. The ghosts are specifically a manifestation of New York City's collective bad mood coming out of the 1970s, which is fought with 'empty' pop-patriotic spectacle by these libertarian conmen-turned-entertainers.

The story is "let's put on a show!" - but there's only so many times that you can douse the mean ol' government agent in liquid sugar before the concept runs up against its limitations. Ghostbusters 2, in its redundancy, states outright that baby Oscar will grow up to be the antichrist unless these children's entertainers (literally birthday clowns) descend as guardian angels to teach him Liberty. What sort of Liberty are we talking about, here?

Ghostbusters 3 was consequently about the vital importance of introducing your kids to this Reagan-era sex comedy because...? Ghostbusters is still relevant, baby!

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

"sex comedy"? :chloe: is one implied ghost blowie really all it takes to be called that these days?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

SatansOnion posted:

"sex comedy"? :chloe: is one implied ghost blowie really all it takes to be called that these days?

Please don't encourage him

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SatansOnion posted:

they're pretty horny movies, that's far from the only sex joke. it's not porky's or whatever if that's your line but the sanctity of the sex comedy label probably isn't worth defending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Busting makes me feel good