Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

TheWeedNumber posted:

dave chapelle

We can balance that with Bill Watterson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Flikken posted:

We can balance that with Bill Watterson.

who?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MODS?!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:frogout:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The guy that created Calvin & Hobbes.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The last Calvin & Hobbes and Far Side were both published ~28 years ago

Feeling like I just drank from the wrong grail :ohno:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

If I have kids, they shall read from the sacred books: the Calvin and Hobbes collections.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Terrifying Effigies posted:

The last Calvin & Hobbes and Far Side were both published ~28 years ago

Feeling like I just drank from the wrong grail :ohno:

Larson put out a few new Far Side comics on his website in 2020, though he made them on a digital pad rather than with ink and paper.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

:bahgawd:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
bro I’m American, I have the right to be loving ignant. It’s in the bill of MAH RIGHTS!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the second stage also blew up

'second stage experienced rapid unscheduled disassembly' was the exact wording that they used lol

Well, you know what they say— it's rocket science!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheWeedNumber posted:

bro I’m American, I have the right to be loving ignant. It’s in the bill of MAH RIGHTS!

Upside is you get the have the legit joy of reading Calvin and Hobbes

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Arrath posted:

If I have kids, they shall read from the sacred books: the Calvin and Hobbes collections.

:hmmyes: told my mom and sister to get them for the kids this year for Christmas

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

That Works posted:

Upside is you get the have the legit joy of reading Calvin and Hobbes

Oh I remember these comics. Lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Mr. Nice! posted:

The guy that created Calvin & Hobbes.

wasn't that martin luther?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:haw:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

I agree with this in spirit but I think this perspective particularly misses the point wrt actually understanding neo-nazi and white nationalist individuals and groups and its integration within the business/local/state/national power structure. Yeah they're losers but they're very often in powerful positions in the establishment power structure and if they were merely powerless assholes who just wanted to feel important it would be a huge improvement. It almost definitionally is not something that people are into because they have nothing and their lives are poo poo. Much of what is so damaging about it is that it specifically is people who are integrated into their communities, who have seemingly good lives*, who are in powerful positions and are able to use those to make things easier for their side and harder for everyone else. It's often people who are socially and/or economically on top who come from families that have been doing well for a long time. If anything a lot of it seems to come out of a worldview that recognizes someone will always be on the bottom and you really, really do not want that to be you. 'white pride' is functionally more of a shibboleth for the above than necessarily a literal statement, though sometimes it also is said literally, too.

how the actual groups recruit is another story, those definitely are going after people without much going for them and will take basically anyone that they think might be useful to them, which is basically just gangs 101, but those groups are really the tip of the iceberg wrt the greater problem of neonazis and white nationalists

i guess outside my normal wheelhouse, though i'd be curious how the social elites end up in that sphere too, and to what extent they're true believers (at least at the outset) or morally flexible sorts who couldn't find a "good" power/profit base and realized you can hella grift off the lumpenazitariat if you offer an uh.... alternative viewpoint. you maybe fail at working your way into traditional power structures but find you can totally build one elsewhere if you're willing to sell a bitta soul

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

TheWeedNumber posted:

Oh I remember these comics. Lol

Yeah it's that dude pissing on a Chevy logo on the back of people's trucks

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i guess outside my normal wheelhouse, though i'd be curious how the social elites end up in that sphere too, and to what extent they're true believers (at least at the outset) or morally flexible sorts who couldn't find a "good" power/profit base and realized you can hella grift off the lumpenazitariat if you offer an uh.... alternative viewpoint. you maybe fail at working your way into traditional power structures but find you can totally build one elsewhere if you're willing to sell a bitta soul

Judging from my dad and his friends at the country club its a mix of Prosperity Theology (they are poor and thus must be bad morally) and White Man's Burden with a dose of republican messaging and being happy with the status quo informing both. Most of them I've talked to about it seem to be true believers, and I've largely given up on talking about it to them. The inroads into this thinking seems to 100% be Fox News and what your social group already believes since these are not people of the age to be getting radicalized online.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Joe Biden floats Gavin Newsom presidency at APEC welcome reception in San Francisco

quote:

President Joe Biden led off his remarks at an APEC welcome reception in San Francisco on Wednesday evening by semi-jokingly floating a future Gavin Newsom presidency.

“I want to talk about Gov. Newsom. Want to thank him,” Biden said at the Exploratorium in San Francisco, according to a transcript released by the White House. “He’s been one hell of a governor, man. Matter of fact, he could be anything he wants. He could have the job I’m looking for.”

Newsom, the governor of California, has for years been a rumored presidential candidate. Those rumors have subsided slightly in recent months, as Newsom has taken on more of a surrogate role for Biden’s 2024 re-election campaign. But even a full-throated endorsement of Biden hasn’t fully killed off the presumption that Newsom is waiting in the wings, either as a 2024 last-minute replacement, or for a full-fledged 2028 run.

Democratic Sen. John Fetterman, for instance, insulted Newsom during a recent speech, saying he doesn’t have the “guts” to formally announce a presidential primary campaign. Newsom’s trips to Israel and China also raised some eyebrows.
Biden, who turns 81 next week, might’ve just been making an innocuous quip, but the stakes around his candidacy — and the jostling by his possible successors — are less of a laughing matter. Biden’s approval ratings have fallen in California, and recent polling indicates that in the 2024 general election, he’s vulnerable against Donald Trump in important battleground states.

Vice President Kamala Harris, who’s also presumed to be waiting her turn for another go at the presidency, was in attendance for Biden’s speech on Wednesday. In fact, Harris gave remarks of her own a few minutes before Biden, during which she highlighted her Bay Area ties.

In September, Newsom told “Meet the Press” that Harris is “naturally the one lined up” to succeed Biden, and that he couldn’t imagine running against Harris. But around the same time, The Messenger spoke to an anonymous senior political strategist who’s worked for both Harris and Newsom, and referred to the duo as “frenemies.”

The senior strategist told The Messenger, “Their worlds will collide. Newsom isn’t going to stay in the backseat for Kamala…The writing is on the wall.”

Newsom should be disqualified for being unable to imagine running against Harris.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Joe Biden floats Gavin Newsom presidency at APEC welcome reception in San Francisco

Newsom should be disqualified for being unable to imagine running against Harris.

Not like I live in a place where my vote actually matters on the national level, but goddamn I would have a really hard time voting for this rear end in a top hat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Not like I live in a place where my vote actually matters on the national level, but goddamn I would have a really hard time voting for this rear end in a top hat.

The motto of the democratic voter at this point

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just constantly disappointed that our typical future choices for representation are "a literal nazi" or "someone who does not care to help you in any material way".

It's obvious who should be chosen here, but enraging that it's likely going to be the most common choice.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’m in WA so if my presidential vote mattered they’d be losing on a 1984 Mondale level.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Ah yes Kamala Harris, incredibly popular former senator from California *checks polls* correction former senator from California.

quote:

In sum, just 37% of voters say they have enthusiasm for a Harris presidential bid, compared with a whopping 59% who expressed hesitancy. When looking at the results among only Democratic voters, 56% say they'd be enthusiastic, while 41% said they would not be. The fact that 4 in 10 California Democrats don't want to see Harris run for president is extremely worrying news for her.

Her entire candidacy in 2020 could be generously described as a whispy fart, but sure I guess she's the next chosen one on the national level according to the lanyard class.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

99pct of germs posted:

Ah yes Kamala Harris, incredibly popular former senator from California *checks polls* correction former senator from California.

Her entire candidacy in 2020 could be generously described as a whispy fart, but sure I guess she's the next chosen one on the national level according to the lanyard class.

"It's her turn!"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

:lol:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

99pct of germs posted:

I forgot the detail that Biden publicly promised to pick a woman as his VP on stage at the last Dem Primary debate in March as a needless gimmick three weeks before Bernie suspended his campaign lol.

And then he ends up picking the woman who got less popular votes than Marianne Williamson in the primary.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I forgot the detail that Biden publicly promised to pick a woman as his VP on stage at the last Dem Primary debate in March as a needless gimmick three weeks before Bernie suspended his campaign lol.

And then he ends up picking the woman who got less popular votes than Marianne Williamson in the primary.

Harris ended her campaign before the first primary was even held.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

For maximum lols he should pick Hillary this time.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Why do people treat Harris like she’s the female Dan Quayle?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

davecrazy posted:

AC(Prosecutors)AB

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

davecrazy posted:

Sending the parents of truant students, in struggling families, to jail isn't a good look.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 19, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

davecrazy posted:

The major thing is that she hasn't had a Big Successful Project. Best as we can tell, she's given a lot of poo poo to deal with (like border stuff) and may or may not make it better. But her and her office will sure talk about the infighting or be really defensive about stuff!

Biden with Obama was in charge of recovery programs and stimulus stuff, so it was clear what he did and was doing at the time. Not really the case with VP Harris!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

RIP Rosalynn Carter

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Steezo posted:

Sending the patents of truant students, in struggling families, to jail isn't a good look.

Also don’t forget being against letting people in prison for weed out, after CA legalized it. Copmala is a garbage human being.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Harris ended her campaign before the first primary was even held.

So did Williamson, however:

Marianne Williamson total primary votes: 22,334
Kamala Harris total primary votes: __844__

It's possible that Williamson's name was left on some early ballots and Harris' wasn't, but overall Harris' campaign was incredibly lackluster, especially given that Warren and Klobuchar both did respectively well in the early contests.

Probably the biggest knock against Harris' Vice-Presidency is that there's been no evidence of effort to try and grow her standing and political capital as a future leader in the Democratic Party. That may not entirely be on her, certainly the Biden administration has given her some thankless jobs like border security which were never going to result in a happy or successful resolution. It does place a lot of risk on what happens if Biden dies or becomes incapacitated though, overnight Harris is going to have to become the face of both the party and government and if they haven't built up public confidence in her then there's a greater chance of the GOP managing to sweep in on the next election under the "Dems in Disarray" banner.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Maybe if Donny and Joe both drop dead in the next few months, we can have a battle of the lovely useless governors for president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
In addition to the cop stuff, she's got a real lack of charisma and to top it off, one of the most unfortunate nervous laughs I've ever seen. It's a rough combination for someone in the national political spotlight.

That said she works alright on Biden's ticket from the perspective of wanting to actually win elections because Biden's strength is pulling support from the center-right/right-leaning independents and her appeal is a lot more in that direction than to the left flank of the dems.