Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I've got a 97 year old great aunt that was just completely fine with me getting gay married and then a few years later having my husband become my wife, like she switched to using her new name and pronouns without even missing a beat and we get a lovely christmas card from her every year addressed to both of us properly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:wave: Graduated from high school in 1977.

we should logan's run you, and i say that knowing you are the only person on this entire website who will understand that reference without wikipedia

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
emfive, Willa, arsenic, SA actually has a reasonable representation of good posters who are also older

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Death 2 Olds

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

tokin opposition posted:

if you ever need help with trans stuff feel free to pm me

i'm pretty sure most of the lgbt threads would also be open to giving you input, but i'd ask first
Thank you! I appreciate the offer. I think I'm the only cis straight person in my friend's Discord, so I had genderqueer/agender people who trusted me and didn't mind doing Trans 101.

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

we should logan's run you, and i say that knowing you are the only person on this entire website who will understand that reference without wikipedia
Michael York and Gemma [blanking on the surname] in tunics. Also those weird color-changing "die now" gems.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

emfive, Willa, arsenic, SA actually has a reasonable representation of good posters who are also older
Awwww, thank you.

Arsenic Lupin has issued a correction as of 18:38 on Nov 19, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
logan's run starts sounding very appealing when you're living in a gerontocracy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

(looks nervously at the palm of her right hand)

Also, my memory dredged up the female lead's name. Jenny Agutter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's probably like a dozen posters on this site under 30. sa is the premiere forum for aging misanthropes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

there's probably like a dozen posters on this site under 30. sa is the premiere forum for aging misanthropes.

No gently caress u idiot ow my back

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Also, my memory dredged up the female lead's name. Jenny Agutter.
She had such a great entrance in that movie:
https://youtu.be/-OBuAoG2uZU?si=oD2ecw4J6xk9K0vC

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

there's "aging" and there's "born before technicolor". in 1977 people were still pointing at airplanes. people that old are translucent in direct sunlight. they can't take hot showers because they'll melt and run down the drain

jokes aside, i am a friend to the tribe of olds, and it's legit cool as gently caress that arsenic is ~keeping with it~ in her dotage. if you need help opening a pdf please don't be shy to ask, i'd be happy to walk you through it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

also when you turn 30

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Let's compromise and say Logan's run only for politicians, rich people, and homeowners

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Let's compromise and say Logan's run only for politicians, rich people, and homeowners

Lib spotted!

Don't trust anyone over under 30!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Logan's run to the polls!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Paladinus posted:

Logan's run to the polls!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
*Turning to the Gen Alpha strapped next to me in the disintegration carousel*
"Heh, first time?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Society in Logan's Run was pretty great though. Tindr/Grindr teleports your date right to your room, and when you turn 30, you go to carousel and get reincarnated into a new young body.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Like all the dystopias authors have made up over the years it's actually infinitely better than reality

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Really? Going after the homeowners, but leaving the cops?

Didn't know you're a lib, Tokin.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ham Equity posted:

Really? Going after the homeowners, but leaving the cops?

Didn't know you're a lib, Tokin.

homeowner is synonymous with cop

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Society in Logan's Run was pretty great though. Tindr/Grindr teleports your date right to your room, and when you turn 30, you go to carousel and get reincarnated into a new young body murdered.
FTFY.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Just give it another couple decades and SA will be the new Freep.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Orange Devil posted:

Just give it another couple decades and SA will be the new Freep.

it is already, for libs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I do wonder how cyclical things are culturally in an effort to not fall into the same "society/children are going to hell in a handbasket." I'm in my forties now with young kids. They go to a very good public school.

On one hand, things can be surprisingly mundane and unchanging. On the other, you have technology as this huge variable. When I was five I wasn't riding the bus with kids that had cell phones with unrestricted internet access :stare: for example.

A lot of goons talk about how they aren't going to let their kids have access to any kind of tablets or internet until some arbitrary age and I always felt this was counterproductive. Millennial goons have the advantage of being able to have a very nuanced approach they themselves probsbly didn't get when they immersed themselves in technology. The solution isn't to just do the absolute opposite of what our parents did but rather something in between.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Encourage your kid to go to the most depraved sites, as a joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean if kids are gonna rebel against what their parents are into then you should demonstrate how much you love furry feet pix or whatever to ensure your kid grows up to be boring and normal

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Brave New World is my distopia of choice. Sex, drugs and you love to do whatever your purpose is.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

starkebn posted:

Brave New World is my distopia of choice. Sex, drugs and you love to do whatever your purpose is.

Yeah when I read that as a kid I just did not understand what was so bad about it, seemed pretty fine.

Like they don't even kill the dissenters or anything at the end, they just send them off to live in some weird-rear end artist colony.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I haven't gotten my 10 year old kid a phone or tablet, except a nintendo switch, not because of some weird boomer fear of screens, but rather to not expose him to the raging shitfire of ads and targeted content and data harvesting that's infected every phone and tablet in existence. I know we will lose that battle eventually, but I think instilling a hatred of ads and marketing in young children is healthy and extremely important.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
edit: never mind, not on topic

shazbot has issued a correction as of 23:49 on Nov 19, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

shazbot posted:

do you consider being a furry to be more abnormal than being lgtbq? is being a furry depraved?

All furries are LGTBQ by default and you have to explicitly opt out of it when you apply for your furry license, it's the being into feet that makes you depraved.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah when I read that as a kid I just did not understand what was so bad about it, seemed pretty fine.

Like they don't even kill the dissenters or anything at the end, they just send them off to live in some weird-rear end artist colony.

i mean they genetically engineer slaves to do all the work, that seems pretty bad

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i mean they genetically engineer slaves to do all the work, that seems pretty bad

Well I'm not a genetically engineered slave so I don't see the problem.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I wish I were genetically engineered to be good at my job.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Encourage your kid to go to the most depraved sites, as a joke

If I had kids, I would be way less worried about them seeing Goatse or Budd Dweyer than I would be about them seeing Logan Paul or the Kardashians.

Like, that shock poo poo is hosed up, but it's not brain poison in the same way, and feels like it'd be a lot easier to contextualize.

I have high school friends I've recently reconnected with who do varying degrees of screen control, one set of parents pretty much let's their kids watch whatever for the first couple of hours of the morning with some parental controls in place, and another set doesn't let their kids have screens at all. I'm not honestly sure which is better, not giving them screens at all feels like it's going to maybe make them social outcasts and have that forbidden fruit thing going on, but Jesus Christ the poo poo online that markets to kids seems custom-built to turn them into consumerist zombies with every negative social belief you can imagine.

Just glad I don't have to actually make that decision.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Nov 20, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
let me contextualize what that man is doing to his anus

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The handheld screen time debate is just the TV time debate all over again

Multiple generations have already been brain poisoned by television and we're fine

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
fine*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Luckily our grandchildren might escape the brain worms, because of the impending death of the biosphere :)