Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Main Paineframe posted:

plus you still have to pay for the lawyer you're using to sue your old lawyer

The trick that lawyers HATE is that you can represent yourself in a civil trial against a law firm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wouldn't it be a total non-starter of a case anyway because during the court proceedings his lawyers asked him, while he was on the stand and under oath, if he thought they had effectively represented him and he said yes?

Maybe that was the best lawyering reynal did during the whole trial.

It was super awkward when it happened, it was cross examination (or possibly a re-direct?) immediately after the phone dump got dropped. Reynal just goes up there afterwards and is just meekly like “we effectively represented you correct? We did a good job? Ok no further questions your honor”

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pope Corky the IX posted:

gently caress, I wish my posts smelled like rum ham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SULSoOYmRs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wouldn't it be a total non-starter of a case anyway because during the court proceedings his lawyers asked him, while he was on the stand and under oath, if he thought they had effectively represented him and he said yes?

honestly I don't think so: a client hires a lawyer because they aren't a lawyer and don't know what the right answer is, that in the moment they didn't realize their lawyer should've been fired doesn't mean much

asking that question shows consciousness of guilt in my mind

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

honestly I don't think so: a client hires a lawyer because they aren't a lawyer and don't know what the right answer is, that in the moment they didn't realize their lawyer should've been fired doesn't mean much

asking that question shows consciousness of guilt in my mind

yeah I was gonna say this too, the client can't really be expected to know in real time whether you are doing a good job or not necessarily

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Someone didn’t play the og alex jones game

1994(95 for snes)

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

rotinaj posted:

1994(95 for snes)

Wtf is going on with that grid in the bottom left?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Visions of Valerie posted:

he lost a game of tic-tac-toe but rather than admit defeat he drew in three x's and crossed a line through them to show that, actually, nuh-uh, he won.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

he lost a game of tic-tac-toe but rather than admit defeat he drew in three x's and crossed a line through them to show that, actually, nuh-uh, he won.

Tell me alex wouldn’t do exactly that

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

alex has been drinking victory wine and getting body-slammed by 12 perfect wrestlers since time began. the big bang happened, and alex jones was there, "not mad and doing well, actually"

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bawk posted:

So this:

Makes total sense.

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

bawk posted:

But on the left 3x3 portion, there are four 'o's but only two 'x's. Even if 'o' had unusually gone first, that doesn't work - there has to have been other shenanigans.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What do you think Alex Jones smells like?

ha ha do you think he gets embarrassed ha ha I'd like to smell Alex Jones as a joke ha ha

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

rotinaj posted:

1994(95 for snes)

P sure this was Genesis first, ported to SNES later on but I could be wrong.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Visions of Valerie posted:

This is hosed up

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/11/28/alex-jones-bankruptcy-sandy-hook-settlement/

tldr: Families offer to settle the $1.5 billion debt for $8.5 million per year x 10 years plus 50% of any income over $9 million per year. This represents only 6% of the total owed.

I understand why they would make that offer:
1) it’s likely the most they can expect to get from him in the first place
2) it gets them money sooner rather than dragging this through court for years
3) it gets that claim going now before further judgements come down in his other pending defamation trials, increasing the chance that they’re the creditors that get the money
4) it makes them look like reasonable people who made a good faith offer, which will piss off the judge if Jones rejects it.

However, some part of me is sad to see Jones not get nailed to the wall for $Texas amount of money.

Neodymium
Jun 23, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/11/28/alex-jones-bankruptcy-sandy-hook-settlement/

tldr: Families offer to settle the $1.5 billion debt for $8.5 million per year x 10 years plus 50% of any income over $9 million per year. This represents only 6% of the total owed.

3) it gets that claim going now before further judgements come down in his other pending defamation trials, increasing the chance that they’re the creditors that get the money
4) it makes them look like reasonable people who made a good faith offer, which will piss off the judge if Jones rejects it.

However, some part of me is sad to see Jones not get nailed to the wall for $Texas amount of money.

I fully expect Alex to reject it publicly with a repugnant display of verbal self-flagellation for three reasons:
1. He wants to make his victims fight for every last cent, because he believes he's the victim.
2. Accepting an offer could be viewed as weakness by his remaining customer base, and he's at least somewhat aware of what his customers think of "traitors to the cause".
3. Bullshitting and foot-dragging is his MO and his comfort zone, and I don't expect him to change.

I'm also disappointed not to witness $texas wall-nailing, but Jones is looking at a very painful dilemma between Angry Audience and Angry Judge, and I choose to accept that as a satisfactory outcome.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Alex is more miserable than ever right now on the show and you just love to see it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
richer and happier than i'll ever be and all he had to do was be a gigantic monster and then refuse to be punished.

poor man.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

InsertPotPun posted:

richer and happier than i'll ever be and all he had to do was be a gigantic monster and then refuse to be punished.

poor man.

I think everyone is happier than you'll ever be.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Arrhythmia posted:

I think everyone is happier than you'll ever be.
while very true, i think it's still notable that a man who lost over a billion dollars in a court case is. that's why i highlighted that particular dichotomy.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I also respectfully dispute the claim that he's "happier" because nothing at all about Alex Jones suggests that he's able to feel anything except outrage

posters itt still have the power to avoid this sorry failure state; he, however, looks to have addicted and feedback-looped himself into a state that makes unfucking his brain particularly unlikely. Perhaps that can be a glimmer of joy for those of us who have been disappointed :angel:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

Tree Dude posted:

Alex is more miserable than ever right now on the show and you just love to see it.

All the money in the world can't stop alcoholism from eating him alive

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

Carlos Lantana posted:

We can all hope

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Carlos Lantana posted:

I dunno, it's possible that he'll end up pickling himself before he dies.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Carlos Lantana posted:

If it could move the timetable up a bit that would be grand

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't think he's happier, the dude has made a living out of manufacturing outrage and fury. you don't get to that place by being happy

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cantorsdust posted:

One thing to note is that he's still got other trials, so it's not as if even if he pays this he'll be off the hook. Those trials are awaiting the bankruptcy stay being ended. And so if he agrees to this, his bankruptcy ends a lot sooner - which means he has to go right back to more trials where he'll be fined millions again, and I'm pretty sure there are rules that prevent him from just re-declaring bankruptcy of the Chapter 11/restructuring variety. So (from what I understand, IANAL) it's a poison pill.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

InsertPotPun posted:

poor man.

Careful, if you scream conspiracy theories into the void long enough your brain will be replaced with chili.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
just the memories of children. i'm ok with losing that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

pseudanonymous posted:

Careful, if you scream conspiracy theories into the void long enough your brain will be replaced with chili.

Chicken fried steak. Alex was having a chicken fried steak the first time he had a stroke and thought god was talking to him. For those of you unfamiliar, Alex has often told this story of tucking into a CFS and getting a download from God.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
one time i got a chicken fried steak at a restaurant and was astonished to find another, smaller chicken fried steak underneath it

p sure it wasn't an act of god, tho

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
His refrain of: “I don’t even have the money” is looking mighty weak

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chicken fried steak owns. God has never spoken to me while eating it though.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Marsupial Ape posted:

Chicken fried steak. Alex was having a chicken fried steak the first time he had a stroke and thought god was talking to him. For those of you unfamiliar, Alex has often told this story of tucking into a CFS and getting a download from God.

Aaa-lex Aah-lex replace these calories with vodka. Vooooo-dka...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'd have offered 51% of income in perpetuity, up to $0.5b. Spend the cash hiring kooks to call into his show and heckle him about being a 49% loser.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Grand Fromage posted:

Chicken fried steak owns. God has never spoken to me while eating it though.

You must be going to places that clean the frying oil, that’d do it.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
For some reason I had thought of chicken fried steak as one of the last things you'd want to eat, except when having a miserable time at denny's just after your wife files for divorce

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The restaurant story always reminds me of David Ickes similar origin story of 'Had obvious psychotic break' which wasn't treated appropriately.

Although it's Alex, so he may just have made the whole story up and told it so many times he believes it now. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Mercury_Storm posted:

For some reason I had thought of chicken fried steak as one of the last things you'd want to eat, except when having a miserable time at denny's just after your wife files for divorce

The “download” supposedly happened a long time before his divorce, but he does claim to come from a long line of psychics so maybe he could see it coming