Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

bossy lady posted:

In spite of my username I am very nice IRL and not at all bossy :angel:

That's too bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Improbable Lobster posted:

Oh yeah everyone knows that

back when i had to call microsoft like, monthly for 360 problems i had this poo poo down real good

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Outrail posted:

kings quest style prompts to find the secret passage to a human being.

This would be a good thread title

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Spotify keeps trying to trick me into listening to the remake version of under the sea

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

20 Blunts posted:

i really dont know if the reason is good or not but basically once a grocery store stops putting out baskets for shoppers I write it off
Yeah what is the deal with grocery stores hating baskets all of a sudden? You'd think they'd be easier to deal with than carts, because they don't have to be taken in from the parking lot.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
If you can get enough people and a large vehicle, it's really easy to load up a bunch of baskets and walk out with tons of poo poo. Store I worked at took all the baskets off the floor for the overnight shift.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Off the hip, probably some McKinsey fucks found the number go up when customers have only a cart versus the choice of a cart or basket.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I would guess that’s it. With a basket you can physically feel the weight, carts Alfred unlimited

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Supermarkets here went from normal trolleys and normal baskets to those extra big baskets that come with wheels. They still have a handle for carrying it, but definitely not meant for that.

And indeed, if you make the trolley/basket bigger, then it's easier to buy more stuff - rather than just one basket to fill your backpack with.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
All middle age folks want is one thing, the little cart at hr grocery store.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They made it so that everybody lugs around a shopping cart to buy a single loaf of bread, but they didn't make the aisles wide enough to accommodate two carts next to each other, so combine that with the fact most people have absolutely no awareness or regard for others, and there are constant traffic jams

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I attempted to use the self checkout at Target this morning, which now insists that I log into my store account before proceeding, by installing the app on my phone to use as a security token :what:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I attempted to use the self checkout at Target this morning, which now insists that I log into my store account before proceeding, by installing the app on my phone to use as a security token :what:

Yeah that’s a abandon everything I was going to buy and leave the store red line for me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Fuuuuuck that.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

lmao. i would just leave my poo poo there and walk tf out

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

cat botherer posted:

Yeah what is the deal with grocery stores hating baskets all of a sudden? You'd think they'd be easier to deal with than carts, because they don't have to be taken in from the parking lot.

During covid sanitary concerns meant fewer baskets (and shoppers). It's not like they kept making lovely baskets when nobody was using them. The supply is running out.

LimaBiker posted:

Supermarkets here went from normal trolleys and normal baskets to those extra big baskets that come with wheels. They still have a handle for carrying it, but definitely not meant for that.

And indeed, if you make the trolley/basket bigger, then it's easier to buy more stuff - rather than just one basket to fill your backpack with.

With the prevalence of ordering groceries online a significant portion of shoppers are now instacart/delivery drivers. These proxy shoppers need quick access and high accuracy to do their job well. Carts on wheels encourage more people to become drivers since they know they won't have to lift as much. If you are shopping for yourself, you need to spend more. Baskets dont help you spend more, they encourage you to spend less.

You are a product.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I would never go in target in the first place

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CVS wanted me to use an app to get my prescription. They still have a call employee button underneath but if that ever vanishes I'm gone. I'm already annoyed by them not having free delivery like Walgreens so yeah. CVS you managed to be shittier than Walgreens in multiple ways you're lucky I don't want to give the business that was in a rush to not offer Mifepristone. It's not that they were forced to by states it's that they were so quick to go yes yes of course, that reeks of some rear end in a top hat beliefs in the company finally getting the go ahead by the government.

Also LOL I wasn't sure what drug it was so I googled it. Hey Google don't loving give me lovely company propaganda as my first results for "walgreens abortion pills" thanks. https://news.walgreens.com/press-center/mifepristone-resources/. Is propaganda suppose to make me never ever want to do business with a company? It's like when SeaWorld had those ads being like "we're awesome totally not terrible in anyway" in response to that killer whale documentary. How does that not trigger major red flags to the people who view it?

People are dumb.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 19, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

having an app (and subsequently a centralized database) for medical records is a stepping stone from the lovely world we live in now to a much, much, much better world where medical research is pooled, analyzed, and handled with a holistic and allied approach across all modalities.

it's the original purpose/intention of blockchain technology.

it is imperative to progress.

of course CVS should not be loving leading that charge.
but eschewing good apps just because of app fatigue is problematic. we need centralized medical records.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

The primary principle I try to live my life by is to not make others' lives harder.

That said, it would be extremely hard holding back the urge to not tip my cart/basket onto the floor and scream "gently caress this future" as I walk out of the store.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GolfHole posted:

having an app (and subsequently a centralized database) for medical records is a stepping stone from the lovely world we live in now to a much, much, much better world where medical research is pooled, analyzed, and handled with a holistic and allied approach across all modalities.

but eschewing good apps just because of app fatigue is problematic. we need centralized medical records.

That's nice but telling me to pull out my phone to navigate your lovely app to find the QR code your requesting of me sucks, and the reason they are doing it is just to save money on labor. Besides we don't need lovely phone apps to do any of that.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 19, 2023

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

GolfHole posted:

I went to a John Muir ER lately, and then the next time I went to my Sutter PCP, they were able to pull up all the records from John Muir and it was just great. I think they’re even able to get at my records from Providence back in Oregon. I think it’s because they’re all on the Epic records platform, but it feels very much like The Way It Should Work.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

GolfHole posted:

You’re right that it’s much easier to analyze millions of records this way but it won’t benefit patients very much. It’s mostly for insurers, hospitals, and medical debt and securization finance companies.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried to recycle a power supply at staples and they told me its free but only if I install the staples app. I said forget it and threw the power supply into the trash outside. Sorry earth maybe next time.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

BUUNNI posted:

You’re right that it’s much easier to analyze millions of records this way but it won’t benefit patients very much. It’s mostly for insurers, hospitals, and medical debt and securization finance companies.

eh i have to indicate my latex allergy every single time to every single person. there's got to be a better way!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Salt Fish posted:

I tried to recycle a power supply at staples and they told me its free but only if I install the staples app. I said forget it and threw the power supply into the trash outside. Sorry earth maybe next time.

I'm lucky I live in a municipality that is small enough to have convenient places to drop stuff like that off without charge. They also do annual things where you can basically leave anything that isn't immanently exploding for disposal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh this is a great thread to mention that my landlord got rid of the payment website and now all payments must be made through the landlord-app on your phone.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Salt Fish posted:

Oh this is a great thread to mention that my landlord got rid of the payment website and now all payments must be made through the landlord-app on your phone.

i wish my landlord had a landlord app instead of sending his construction goons or his sister to my house to collect rent at some point between the 3rd-20th while getting apeshit furious when we miss them because they came at 4pm on a Wednesday or 9pm on a Friday night

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

StormDrain posted:

All middle age folks want is one thing, the little cart at hr grocery store.

I've been to some groceries where the competition for those little carts is FIERCE

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

MrQwerty posted:

i wish my landlord had a landlord app instead of sending his construction goons or his sister to my house to collect rent at some point between the 3rd-20th while getting apeshit furious when we miss them because they came at 4pm on a Wednesday or 9pm on a Friday night

Good news, soon if you ever want to move and use a uhaul, you will need to install the app even though it’s just a wrapper for the website and offers no additional functionality or discount, other than harvesting your data. Also please let them know if you are in the military. Do you get a military discount if you are? No

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GolfHole posted:

So a database is blockchain technology now?

I thought blockchain was an incredibly expensive to run distributed database where nothing can get corrected. Given the incredibly incorrect poo poo that’s been put in my and my wife’s medical record that I’ve had to spend incredible amounts of time and energy fixing, having a write-only db seems like a bad idea.

Similarly any distributed database is a security nightmare, even worse than the poo poo that can be pulled now if you read the privacy policy every health provider has you sign.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

shazbot posted:

Good news, soon if you ever want to move and use a uhaul, you will need to install the app even though it’s just a wrapper for the website and offers no additional functionality or discount, other than harvesting your data. Also please let them know if you are in the military. Do you get a military discount if you are? No

I already did that when I moved in here, the uhaul app and the store didn't communicate and they just rented me the box truck I paid for anyway because I showed them my receipt and order on the app and in my email while they were bitching up and down about the goddamn app

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Sounds about right

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Pretty sure the original intent with the blockchain was to make it easier for pedophiles to get their rocks off without having the government all up in their face.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its all poo poo thats for sure

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Blockchain is last year's meaningless buzzword, get with the times - it's all about AI now!

What will the AI do? More like what WON'T it do! Please pull the dump truck full of VC money around the side of the building.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I hope the staples app has a data breach so I can call all those dumb motherfuckers one at a time and ask them what they were thinking when the installed the staples app.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

When you pay your rent does it ask for a tip?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Salt Fish posted:

I hope the staples app has a data breach so I can call all those dumb motherfuckers one at a time and ask them what they were thinking when the installed the staples app.

Doing anything with Staples online is a nightmare in itself. I remember I bought something particular online, it was going to be a week delivery, and then an hour later they sent me a form asking me to tell them how the product was with a disclaimer of "this can be used for marketing with your name".

Then I went in the special hell of trying to figure out how to complain about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

GolfHole posted:

gently caress you