Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

at least we all agree that filters are where the real magic happens

not me I got waveshaper-pilled at one point (building buchla clones I think) and never looked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

m8 m8s, how are you sorting your projects?

here's what I'm struggling with: how do I share pattern resources across tracks? 8 tracks is plenty I think? but I'm not sure 256 chains or phrases are, for example. cause like if I wanna do 7 bars of LPF pad and then sweep it on the 8th, I need 1 chain, 2 phrases and at least 1 instrument (not sure how best to utilize these)

so if youre trying to do like house or trancey kick snare hats cymbals toms drum machine beats, that's almost the whole thing. even if you get really clever and condense it it's still 3-4 tracks just for polyphony reasons.

the workarounds that occur are:

- do that stuff on a separate drum machine (fine but not portable)
- do e.g. jungle where I can just do 2 tracks of samples and be fine (fine but not suitable for non-jungle (e.g.) music)
- have a drum lines project that feeds a main project (annoying, can't edit drums and instruments together, need to export new tracks if I change a sample or something)
- some combo of the above two where I have pre-printed stuff w/ samples I like and then do fills as needed in the "main" project (annoying)
- lean really hard into the drums and be fine w/ just 3 tracks for everything else (what I'm struggling with right now)

I've been thinking about trying to give each track 32 chains/phrases each and just seeing how creative I need to be there to make it work. Anyway was wondering if anyone has ideas? Or this is a solved problem or something?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

256 chains is a lot, if you need more than that you crazy. :v: Each chain can have sixteen phrases which is a ton of note information.

I can see insanely big songs running out of phrases I guess but it feels like an edge case to me. All my tracks have under 50 phrases and it's kinda feeling hard to keep track at that point.

There's no penalty for switching instruments on the m8, so you can get most of your percussion into a single track. Maybe two if you want to go wild.

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I'm looking for a Roland SC-55 and there is someone selling a 155 in my area. If anyone here is familiar with it, I'm wondering does it send midi CC for the faders?

Edit, looks like it does.

Mike Arthur McVein fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 11, 2023

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

JamesKPolk posted:

not me I got waveshaper-pilled at one point (building buchla clones I think) and never looked back.

You haven't lived until you've put a triangle through a wavefolder and then done a filter sweep on it with something like an MS-20 filter.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

JamesKPolk posted:

m8 m8s, how are you sorting your projects?

here's what I'm struggling with: how do I share pattern resources across tracks? 8 tracks is plenty I think? but I'm not sure 256 chains or phrases are, for example. cause like if I wanna do 7 bars of LPF pad and then sweep it on the 8th, I need 1 chain, 2 phrases and at least 1 instrument (not sure how best to utilize these)

so if youre trying to do like house or trancey kick snare hats cymbals toms drum machine beats, that's almost the whole thing. even if you get really clever and condense it it's still 3-4 tracks just for polyphony reasons.

the workarounds that occur are:

- do that stuff on a separate drum machine (fine but not portable)
- do e.g. jungle where I can just do 2 tracks of samples and be fine (fine but not suitable for non-jungle (e.g.) music)
- have a drum lines project that feeds a main project (annoying, can't edit drums and instruments together, need to export new tracks if I change a sample or something)
- some combo of the above two where I have pre-printed stuff w/ samples I like and then do fills as needed in the "main" project (annoying)
- lean really hard into the drums and be fine w/ just 3 tracks for everything else (what I'm struggling with right now)

I've been thinking about trying to give each track 32 chains/phrases each and just seeing how creative I need to be there to make it work. Anyway was wondering if anyone has ideas? Or this is a solved problem or something?

I don’t use a m8 myself but all my main sequencers are similarly limited.

You’re already veering dangerously close to house music apostasy by using a tracker, so I wouldn’t worry too hard about working with it instead of against it.

Resample everything, especially chord stacks and drums. Slice your resampled tracks and remix them with the sequencer instead of recording whole fresh takes.

If you want to do a huge polyphonic tom fill then go for it, but also don’t fret about how many tracks it’ll take up. Just resample your other stuff and have it going in the background on a track or two. You aren’t going to need those toms all the time anyways and their tracks can be easily appropriated for other tasks (trackers ftw).

To answer your question, no it’s not a solved problem, the sound of a track is in part a sum of all of the compromises that had to be made to make it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can also do some pretty bonkers stuff with the tables, even run phrases backwards if you want to.

Not saying the m8 has unlimited capability for producing the most complex arrangement in human history.. but there is no shortage of crazy poo poo it does allow that can get you close.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

You can also do some pretty bonkers stuff with the tables, even run phrases backwards if you want to.

Not saying the m8 has unlimited capability for producing the most complex arrangement in human history.. but there is no shortage of crazy poo poo it does allow that can get you close.

let yourself cook lol I think you're onto something

I think I'm like way underutilizing tables, not sure I totally get them. they're lik per-note modulation tracks right? but it seems like theres more than just like adding vibrato or something

Mr. Sharps posted:

To answer your question, no it’s not a solved problem, the sound of a track is in part a sum of all of the compromises that had to be made to make it.

Deep.

and ty - especially about the apostasy. need to get a better idea for when to resample (probably using a separate box is simpler for now) but that's at least a problem with a shape to it

RocketMermaid posted:

You haven't lived until you've put a triangle through a wavefolder and then done a filter sweep on it with something like an MS-20 filter.

:getin: I almost added a line about how if you can overdrive the self-res so hard it squares it counts

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, tables are just patterns that are attached to an instrument and every time the instrument triggers the table plays through. They give you three FX lanes to mess around with pretty much all the parameters phrases get, as well as pitch shifting and volume control.

Every instrument gets its own table, and you can have 128 "global" tables. Don't sleep on the table rate either, a 00 rate will tick the table every time the instrument hits. A FF rate gives you a 400hz cycle.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Since nobody asked, if you're looking for an additional oscillator for fattening up a voice, let me suggest a PLL module. The Doepfer one is a lower cost option. It syncs up to an audio source, and outputs a square wave that is harmonically related. Either bang on, or a pitch multiple. There are 3 different comparator modes, which can range from locking on quick, to being a bit glitchy to sync. The comparator has its own output that gives another, related square wave.
Mixing these in with your original vco prior to a filter can give a big sound.

It also excels at experimental ear gently caress weird sounds.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Yeah, tables are just patterns that are attached to an instrument and every time the instrument triggers the table plays through. They give you three FX lanes to mess around with pretty much all the parameters phrases get, as well as pitch shifting and volume control.

Every instrument gets its own table, and you can have 128 "global" tables. Don't sleep on the table rate either, a 00 rate will tick the table every time the instrument hits. A FF rate gives you a 400hz cycle.

Nice - do I assign tables per phrase or per instrument? But I think this is making sense.

When I messed around with it I thought that it was only on the note-on and it would reset on note-off, but it seems like at least with 00 it's step-per-trig (and I assume it persists after the note stops). Is that the only setting like that or are they all? /do I need to play around more?

I'm pretty sure instead of tracking into a DAW I could do it into the m8 and not really lose any workflow and that's god damned mind blowing to me, last time I felt my gear horizons expanding like this it was powering on JJOS for the first time

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

Nice - do I assign tables per phrase or per instrument? But I think this is making sense.

It's per instrument.

quote:

When I messed around with it I thought that it was only on the note-on and it would reset on note-off, but it seems like at least with 00 it's step-per-trig (and I assume it persists after the note stops). Is that the only setting like that or are they all? /do I need to play around more?

Tables reset to the 00 step on note triggers. Trackers normally don't have note off, but some of them (like m8) lets you enter an actual OFF command (press opt+edit on a line in a phrase with no note). Otherwise the m8 just keeps running through the table forever until a new note triggers. Or an adsr finishes. Or a KIL command hits.

The 00 rate in tables doing something special is somewhat unique but there are a handful of special values out there. Usually on FX lanes. Like HOP FF will stop play on that track.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUSZ0qDWMXo&t=4s

So I bought one of these today, and I might be dumb, or stupid, or both. There have not been many made, there were QC issues on the v1, and even among the pretty loving tiny community of video mod wiggle people, this one isn't that well known and the QC issues cause :raise: but also some people were calling it a good "affordable" entry to video synth a year ago when these were > $500 assembled, and now they are half that (though I bought one of the last two he had on etsy, and the other one vanished within minutes of my mentioning that on Discord...)

if this works as well as shown in this video I think it will meet my needs for now. "Needs", ha. I was looking at Ableton Jitter stuff -- I don't want to go that deep into max code land just for visuals, too much time. LZX stuff looks great and if I ever feel like I really want to build Bespoke Modular Video, I will do that. But this looks like a way to get some fun patterns/etc modulated by audio, and mixed with random other video as desired.

We'll see. Has a hideously ugly 80s/90s video fx vibe to it which I loving love, shoot some LSD in my veins, put some DMT up my butthole, and just wiggle all night. (I am pretty sure that's the normal ROA for those drugs)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean it seems cool but if you’re fine with a software solution, resolume is going to be on a 50% sale in like two weeks

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I mean it seems cool but if you’re fine with a software solution, resolume is going to be on a 50% sale in like two weeks

if i was fine with a software solution I probably wouldn't be some obscene amount of cash down the euro hole already :allears:

if this thing works the main thing it does is convince me I do want a v3 Chromagnon. For $1700.

And that's just an entry into the LZX ecosystem.

And I am saving all my Black Friday cash hoping that QuBit does another buy2-get3 :sigh:

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Been messing around with guitar a bit and picked up a IO to plug it into my synth and it's been pretty great. Been having a good time using squid salmple as a looping station and getting nice reverbs and delays out of parasite-clouds, but those are the main things I've had good consistent success with. Anybody have thoughts on good patches or modules for guitarin?
Biggest single I've been eyeing is the nautilus since I don't have a really solid delay, but haven't done enough of a dive to be sure its what I want.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Check this out. Live jamming over the net, by utilizing a long delay.
https://youtu.be/HPary3fDPYw?si=zzJYGvBFwYiqevFb

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Lhet posted:

Been messing around with guitar a bit and picked up a IO to plug it into my synth and it's been pretty great. Been having a good time using squid salmple as a looping station and getting nice reverbs and delays out of parasite-clouds, but those are the main things I've had good consistent success with. Anybody have thoughts on good patches or modules for guitarin?
Biggest single I've been eyeing is the nautilus since I don't have a really solid delay, but haven't done enough of a dive to be sure its what I want.

We ran a (goon) friend's guitar through my mimeophon a while ago and it was a hell of a lot of fun, also enjoy making guitar loops into soundscapes with Morphagene

without being too far up Tom Erbe's butt, my guess is that any "weird" / "complex" delay/verb oriented effects, or granular things, will do cool and weird things. Beads is cool, too. Hyperion is, you know, it's loving Hyperion

if you have an env follower you can duct tape onto the guitar input to pull gates and stuff out of, then you can add a bunch of weirdness easily that way

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

i found a 4hp sidecar for my 6u70 case :laugh:

(you don't have to tell me all the reasons this is a bad idea; I have a Haliburton steel suitcase en route which will turn into a 7u84 case that will solve my problems for now)

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Cabbages and Kings posted:

We ran a (goon) friend's guitar through my mimeophon a while ago and it was a hell of a lot of fun, also enjoy making guitar loops into soundscapes with Morphagene

without being too far up Tom Erbe's butt, my guess is that any "weird" / "complex" delay/verb oriented effects, or granular things, will do cool and weird things. Beads is cool, too. Hyperion is, you know, it's loving Hyperion

if you have an env follower you can duct tape onto the guitar input to pull gates and stuff out of, then you can add a bunch of weirdness easily that way

Oh awesome ideas, thank you! I don't have a dedicated env follower but could probably figure out something with Function/VCAs.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Looks like some decent black friday plugin sales this year. Arturia is doing their V Collection for $300 and Pigments for $100. I have both already from a previous black friday and they are super cool standalones/plugins. NI is doing half off on the Komplete collections. Komplete Standard for $300 seems like a pretty decent deal, I might grab that.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I prefer Pigments to Serum, if I was limited to one synth plugin then I'd pick Pigments because it covers so many bases (and basses): 3 osc virtual analog, wavetables, sample engine, utterly bizarre harmonic additive engine, the utility bit, and a lot of very decent effects.
To me, the GUI is much more "readable" than Serum, even though Serum was already way more user friendly than say, Massive.
I find myself using Arturia things way more than NI things these days, other than Kontakt libraries

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
I've never used Serum but my understanding is it's not as user friendly as Pigments and I find Pigments to be very user friendly. If you know how synths work, it's pretty straightforward to use, in my experience, and it sounds really good to me.

I havent had much experience with NI stuff and only recently downloaded the stripped down version of Komplete they are giving away. I do like some of the sounds I've got from some of the instruments but I'm not completely sold. I'm going to play around with it a bit more this weekend and see if it's something worth throwing money at. The Arturia synth models are pretty amazing but it seems like NI's collections are musically broader with more acoustic models, drums, etc.

I was looking around for some hardware deals and it doesn't seem like there's much going on there, as of now. Some weak discounts on Moog stuff (get your Moog One for just $10k! Minimoog for $4500! Lmao) and half decent price drops on Roland and Korg stuff at Sweetwater. Modbap is running 20% off their modules on their site. Might take some of the sting out of buying one of the best wavetable oscillators available for modular. Osiris owns.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The Osiris looks cool but the software is Mac only and I'm a poor PC user.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Spiggy posted:

The Osiris looks cool but the software is Mac only and I'm a poor PC user.

You don't really need it unless you want to edit your own wavetables. The included tables sound great and there are three other tablesets you can get from Modbap for free. There's probably others floating around reddit and modwiggler but I haven't really checked. It does suck rear end that they seemingly deliberately locked PC users out of the wavetable editor but its also not a huge deal.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

arrrrgh nm, figured it out

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 18, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

There's 200 like it, and this one is gonna be mine

listen to like 45 secs of this starting around 18:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFqeAzG-S0&t=1056s

PRETTY DANK, FRANK

I can only hope the LED is as obnoxiously bright as the Taiga.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
https://voca.ro/19rFku5boGGa

Finally got a chance to goof around with my SQ64 and made a dumb little loop/patch to learn how it works. I've started building dedicated minimodular set ups to try to focus on learning specific pieces of gear. The setup for this loop is Bitbox Micro for drums, Osiris for lead, and Chainsaw for bass/pads with Pons Asinorum for envelopes, OCHD for LFOs and Desmodus for reverb. I still need to learn how to do things like switch and chain patterns and generally make things more song-like than loop-like but that's a bigger issue than just learning a piece of gear and also lol modular songwriting lmao.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

"how I learned to stop worrying and love the DAW"

figured out some reasonable ES-9 flows, and tested:
1* PNW as master clock, PEXP MIDI -> Beatstep Pro (connected to PC via USB; set up in Ableton as EXT)
2* play 4 tracks of audio in REC mode with only 1 track armed
3* stop, back to beginning, arm 2 different tracks
4* record again, now we have 3 tracks and yep they are in sync
5* disable armed channels, arm automation recording, play again and just record fades & pans

so, all this works beautifully, and I also realize that if I was using Ableton's built in reverb/delay as my A&B send, then in step 5 I could also tweak those settings if that track was armed. Because I am actually sending A&B out to euro (Mimeophon and E352), I can't exactly wrap my head around what happens if I try to retcon that automation; I guess I would have to arm recording on the fx tracks, and then audio would just be sent back to them, overwriting the first take? :thunk: hmm I guess that's actually what happens with ableton reverb/DSP, as well, so maybe there's not much difference.... :thunk:.... a black box than manipulates audio is kinda the same whether it's virtual in a PC or virtual in a module or analog.

anyway, if I ever get over COVID enough ( :emo: ) to touch my sax again I may be recording again soon

edit: the only thing about this flow -- Ableton doesn't seem to read clock from EXT? So I need to make sure Ableton's BPM matches whatever is set on PNW

I haven't messed to see what happens with temporal quantization of I alter the tempo while recording, either.... :thunk:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Phase Plant is also $99 for Black Friday, which I've personally been looking at for a few months now to replace serum as my primary soft synth. The modular setup is just so appealing

https://kilohearts.com/products/phase_plant

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

the vast majority of the time if i open up a softsynth these days it's phase plant

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I use a rocksmith 1/4 to usb cable to run from my modular straight into fruity loops and I feel like such a barbarian I love it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

edit: the only thing about this flow -- Ableton doesn't seem to read clock from EXT? So I need to make sure Ableton's BPM matches whatever is set on PNW

I know very, very little about Ableton and syncing from software to hardware but I do know that Pam's can act weird if the midi clock resolution isn't high enough. Might be the same for Ableton. Probably worth checking that they are on the same PPQN.

Just got a very good deal on this guy:

Yes, I know I need to vacuum. Its shameful. Anyway, I plan on trying to make this into a main controller for modular and some of my other desktop synths like the hydra and mother-32 as well as a stand alone synth. Everything I have is just kind of scattered around and its a pain to set it up whenever I want to play something. Hopefully I can set this up to daisy chain some stuff together and make it play nice together.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

If I had to sync between a daw and my modular setup I’d just spring for an external clock solution that uses an audible click track from the computer to keep things in sync. Ableton especially has a very ropey midi clock and back when I was using in the box things concurrent with my out of the box things I used a really loud clave on quarter notes through a channel of maths to derive a gate and then on to the clock inputs on my hardware sequencers.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yes, I know I need to vacuum. Its shameful. Anyway, I plan on trying to make this into a main controller for modular and some of my other desktop synths like the hydra and mother-32 as well as a stand alone synth. Everything I have is just kind of scattered around and its a pain to set it up whenever I want to play something. Hopefully I can set this up to daisy chain some stuff together and make it play nice together.

I'm not sure if this fits your use case, but I got an rk-006 and it's pretty handy - I'm throwing midi from my m8 to a nord drum and megafm.

https://www.retrokits.com/rk006/

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I'm not sure if this fits your use case, but I got an rk-006 and it's pretty handy - I'm throwing midi from my m8 to a nord drum and megafm.

https://www.retrokits.com/rk006/

I have been looking around for midi hubs actually. The one I was looking at was the MRCC 880 from Conductive Labs. They're locally designed and have some cool routing and switching features. The one you posted looks good, although it would be nicer with DIN connections i think. Looks nice and compact, though.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
It also sends clock for Euro - haven't tested that out myself though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Since the Live thread is kinda dead, I thought I'd ask here- suggestions on using an iPad as a touchpad controller for Live? The website lists a handful of apps that can be slaved in, but I thought I'd see if people have strong opinions

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

There's 200 like it, and this one is gonna be mine

listen to like 45 secs of this starting around 18:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTFqeAzG-S0&t=1056s

PRETTY DANK, FRANK

I can only hope the LED is as obnoxiously bright as the Taiga.
Finally! :frogsiren: Bought, as with all their Safari stuff so far. :homebrew: :rms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I have been looking around for midi hubs actually. The one I was looking at was the MRCC 880 from Conductive Labs. They're locally designed and have some cool routing and switching features. The one you posted looks good, although it would be nicer with DIN connections i think. Looks nice and compact, though.

Got the big one (I was in the beta group) and I adore it, it does so many things I want and a lot I had never thought about before. I don't come close to using the whole thing though so nice to see the form factor