Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this guy Frank Grimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Classic Grimesy imho

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
We're all looking forward to going back to the office! The boost morale in collaboration is incalculable. Now, when you first enter the front door, there's gonna be a bats nest in the upper right hand corner of the room. Leave them alone! If left undisturbed, they should be nesting during working hours and pose no threat.

Now let's discuss the recent electrocutions ....

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Actually, there are (or were) bats living in the fake ceiling... :sweatdrop:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They control the population of mosquitoes that are breeding in the stagnant water cooler.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

McGavin posted:

They control the population of mosquitoes that are breeding in the stagnant water cooler.

That doesn’t explain the fruit bat colony in 2nd floor-East women’s room. That species isn’t even a native species.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bored posted:

That doesn’t explain the fruit bat colony in 2nd floor-East women’s room. That species isn’t even a native species.

Well yeah, women are from Venus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shoehead posted:

Just for reference, this is the room with the Ultrasonic cleaner in it. Can you spot it in the photo?

I am, once again, begging, absolutely begging you to make a thread or just post a bunch more about this place and person here.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

also can you try to describe them physically, or post a picture of a look-alike or something. i have an image in my head and i'd like to know how far off i am.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ben shapino posted:

just to be clear, this is a storage room at a place of business and not a screen cap from an episode of Hoarders shortly after starting the cleanup process?

It's the storage room for a heap of sterile gear used in tattoos and body piercing and all the equipment to sterilise clamps and grips. This was fine for some reason.

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

my god man 10 years

i've been at my job for 10 years thats so weird to think about in relation....

was this your first job in the field?

Yeah I apprenticed here. Everyone who's ever worked her has, including her. Which I think says a lot.

Volmarias posted:

I am, once again, begging, absolutely begging you to make a thread or just post a bunch more about this place and person here.

Maybe, where would I post it?

ben shapino posted:

also can you try to describe them physically, or post a picture of a look-alike or something. i have an image in my head and i'd like to know how far off i am.

She looks like Granny from Addams Family Values but with her hair back in one long braid

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Ask/Tell

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ben shapino posted:

if you live in a one party state, you should have recorded poo poo like this and then sent it to the health authorities and posted it wherever else it makes sense to

if you don't, you should still do all that just without the recordings

what a loving lunatic

Shoehead is on Normal Island iirc

Shoehead posted:

She looks like Granny from Addams Family Values but with her hair back in one long braid

Huh I was way off. I thought she was one of those late 30s/early 40s punk/goth disasters.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh she's in her early to mid 60s. Roughly the same age as my parents

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Shoehead posted:

what

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I was picturing something like the owner lady in this episode of kitchen nightmares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shyCmvnpMZY

ben shapino fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 19, 2023

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

coldpudding posted:

Well that's it my last shift is done.

My manager is going to pay me in cash from what little is still left in the company account and what he can get from scrapping the equipment.

I'll be alright myself I mean it sucks to get such short notice but I'm in a good place financially, it's most of my co workers that are getting really hosed over by this because they are all over here on visas and just lost their sponsor.

I'd honestly love to know more about this nightmare if you're willing to share

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
Same. I want to know more about wtf went down in there over the past ten years. Also it'll probably be cathartic for you to share, or something.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Shoehead posted:

but with her hair back in one long braid
I keep reading this as "back hair in one long braid"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shoehead posted:

Here or ask/tell, but if you post there link to it here please

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shoehead posted:

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd honestly love to know more about this nightmare if you're willing to share

Don't get me mixed up with shoehead I'm the one that has been working in the food biz for 2 years, I'll just quote my post from the lovely day thread

coldpudding posted:

I knew this was coming but still held out a little hope that it wouldn't.

So for a little backstory 10 weeks or so ago I got summoned for jury duty, something I'd rather not have to do but not the end of the world, anyway I turned up and they led us into the courtroom for selection and I get picked right off the bat, oh well what are you going to do. So I'm sitting there while they read out the charges and more charges oh god there are so many loving charges like ten pages worth and then the witness list all 100+ of them and I'm desperately hoping that I know somebody anybody so I can excuse myself from this six week trial but I come up empty. The jury selection is completed and the judge sends us into the jury room only to bring us back out again immediately and calls me up to talk with them, they tell me I am excused from the jury and free to go, I head home and think nothing more of it.

Everything is all fine and dandy till I go back to work and my supervisor pulls me aside and asks some oddly probing questions about my jury duty before finally leveling with me, the reason I got off the jury is that the person on the stand that day was owner and director of the company I work at, holy poo poo!

Now comes today and I find out me and 40 something other people only have one day of work left because the company is shutting down forever, the kicker is that this was one of the chillest nicest places full of great people I have ever worked at.

I suppose I should mention that none of the utility bills or invoices had been paid so we had to use the neighbors wifi to finish off last orders.

I'd really rather not elaborate on what exactly the charges involved beyond them being money related.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Since COVID my company has given everyone the option to work remotely. 70% of employees now do so. We have several buildings on our main campus that are very sparsely populated, so they are doing a "consolidation" to create "neighborhoods" to ostensibly encourage collaboration.

Anyway, when I got the move spreadsheet it had me moving from a cubicle in the other building to an adjacent cubicle. I asked what was up and they just said "Oh your permanent workspace won't be ready so we're moving you to a temporary workstation first." When I say the cubicles are adjacent, it's as in, the dividers touch each other. It's so dumb. Then they put my new name placard on the first cubicle, and they spelled my first name wrong, but I'm used to that.

Oh, and there are still like 20 vacant offices on the floor we're moving into and only three of us still work in cubicles. They are reserved for hoteling for when remote workers come in once or twice a year.

Plus, they forgot to pay me for a bunch of extra hours I worked in October.

I could go on about the move. I received the notice about a week in advance and every day they changed the move date to be a day sooner, and then on Monday when I was supposed to be packed by 5:00PM they showed up first thing in the morning and started moving furniture out of my cubicle in the middle of a meeting and started tearing down all the empty ones that surround me.

I hate working from home, though. It drove me crazy being home all the time, so I put up with this.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I hate working from home, though. It drove me crazy being home all the time, so I put up with this.

We are very different people.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Love to sit in traffic for hours each week. It really helps me relax.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dameius posted:

We are very different people.

Some people don't do well with work from home, after a while when they watch The Shining, they feel a deep empathy for Jack Torrance.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'm definitely in the minority with that. They actually asked everyone who has an office who doesn't show up regularly to pack up and WFH and that wiped out a bunch of offices, but 2/3 of the people in my division didn't move out and still only come in a couple of times a month. There are days in the middle of the week when there's only maybe five people on the whole floor.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

McGavin posted:

That's not a problem I face!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

McGavin posted:

Hate the commute, but can't focus at all when working from home and maybe get a third as much done as when in the office, and don't especially want to get fired. So I'm in a few days a week at least, which helps to keep up. I don't like being in the office at all, but if I actually need to get work done it's a hell of a lot better than some lovely improvised setup in the little spare space in my apartment. Not all of us are making bank with big houses and extra, separated spaces in them.

I can empathize with not liking wfh.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

In grad school I spent almost all my time in the bedroom when I was at home because that's where my computer desk is. Way too much time in the bedroom. I do have a spare room, but I turned it into a weight room and there's not really enough room for a desk. When I worked from home I compromised and bought a folding table from Staples and worked in my living room, but that was crowded and tacky. It's mostly just a personal preference of wanting to get out of the house and separate work from home.

It is a little silly to complain about moving to and from cubicles when I could just work from home.

I actually wonder if my company doesn't give a poo poo at this point and would just prefer to pull the trigger and sell the buildings or something. Depending on what you do you do have to show up, I guess. We do a lot of different types of research and some people have an actual science lab, and then for our survey research we have an actual fulfillment and data capture center, so you have to do that onsite. That used to be in an offsite building that was a lease, but they are moving that onsite as well.

Still mostly a ghost town, though, so I can't really say I'm doing it to socialize.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Oh, and there are still like 20 vacant offices on the floor we're moving into and only three of us still work in cubicles. They are reserved for hoteling for when remote workers come in once or twice a year.

Do what I did, and move into one of the offices, play dumb, and just see how long it takes for someone to notice or care. Hint: they won't. I was 2 ranks lower than anyone else with an office, and I had that office for 7 years until I retired.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Shoehead posted:

This was like finding out the first season reveal of The Good Place. It was so obvious and yet it smacked me in the face so hard I passed out.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

spookykid posted:

Do what I did, and move into one of the offices, play dumb, and just see how long it takes for someone to notice or care. Hint: they won't. I was 2 ranks lower than anyone else with an office, and I had that office for 7 years until I retired.

A couple of the firewall guys squatted in offices on an empty floor for a couple of years until Space Planning noticed. They still have offices, just elsewhere on the floor now.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

McGavin posted:

I spend an hour and half in traffic every day to drive to the office and... work with my team members who are in completely different offices in completely different time zones. I'm in Teams meetings all day. It's like working from home at work.

spookykid posted:

I didn't think this was a real phenomenon until someone at my job got brave and tried it. It worked.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We have to do two days a month in the office which is whatever, but we’ve found that network connectivity in the office for our particular system is loving dogshit and it takes forever to do a bunch of poo poo we can do from home over the VPN in less than a quarter of the time.

My boss and his boss are hopefully going to tell management to go gently caress themselves over it, because it basically just means 2 days a month per team member where absolutely nothing of value can be done while we sit twiddling our thumbs in the office.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Only way I would go into an office would be if I was guaranteed to be completely alone all day

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Biplane posted:

Only way I would go into an office would be if I was guaranteed to be completely alone all day

But, the collaboration. The team building! :ohdear:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

wash bucket posted:

But, the collaboration. The team building! :ohdear:

:hehe:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I actually miss working next to my team in person, made my job suck a lot less when you can commiserate spontaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I was at an all remote company. Went to a conference (on the vendor side) a few weeks ago and getting to bitch about leadership with 8 coworkers live in a hotel bar was so gooooood. Especially since I got laid off 3 days later.