Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Boo. Anyone else get their tracking early yesterday morning, only to have it go active this morning to show that it hasn't been picked up yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

moosferatu posted:

Boo. Anyone else get their tracking early yesterday morning, only to have it go active this morning to show that it hasn't been picked up yet?

Yep. I even added the UPS tracking page to my bookmarks so I can easily go back and check obsessively.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

A watched steam deck is never delivered.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RandolphCarter posted:

A watched steam deck is never delivered.
And an unwatched one gets stolen shortly after delivery. :v:

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

moosferatu posted:

Yeah mine did the same. Hoping it moves along quick so that I can spend some of my long thanksgiving weekend playing with it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My tracking info from yesterday morning is still not working. Yay UPS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It’s cool that Valve is giving away Half Life for free but what I don’t understand is where do you put the CD-ROM in the Steam Deck?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Detective No. 27 posted:

It’s cool that Valve is giving away Half Life for free but what I don’t understand is where do you put the CD-ROM in the Steam Deck?

This is why they've improved the screws to open up the back of the Deck. You just crank that back shell off and mash the disc into the back with a hammer until it "fits".

*Hammer sold separately. That's how they get you.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

My tracking info from yesterday morning is still not working. Yay UPS.

Usually means it hasn't been picked up. Most carriers only show tracking info after pickup scan. The label is probably already on the package in the warehouse, so it shows up on Valve's end but not UPS.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
I'm selling my current 512 steam deck to a buddy for $175 before Thanksgiving, but my new one hasn't been picked up by a carrier yet. I might have to ...sit at my PC to play games for a few days. Just as I was getting into Astral Ascent

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
The bastards got me by keeping the Limited Edition for sale and Digital Foundry pumping out one reason(justification) after another to upgrade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkrV6VlGPIE

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

My LE is now showing delivery on Friday November 24. “Shipper has created label, UPS has not received the package yet.”

I was perfectly fine with waiting 2-4 weeks but now I can’t wait less than one week!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
My 1tb OLED has been stuck on "packaged items" since Friday...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Kwolok posted:

LMAO you’ll get it after all of us

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Valve and having any logic behind their shipping process :shrug:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish they just said 3-5 weeks or whatever and then it just show up early so I’m not like “wow it packed earlier than I planned but why isn’t it here right now??”

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I asked in the Disc but didn't get an answer, but does anyone have any troubleshooting advice for Steam Remote Play? It works save for any video, the inputs and sound will work just fine but the client machine (either the Deck or my main rig) never receives any video. I'm too lazy to set up Moonlight and I just like poo poo already built into Steam.

It used to work just fine.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never played any half life game except alyx. That was almost too scary for my cowardly rear end but I finished it. I'm fine leaving them in my blindspot.

I'm a tremendous coward about horror games (I can't play any of the Resident Evil games, even the more action-y ones), and Half-life 2 didn't bother me at all. As someone else mentioned, Alyx takes advantage of the VR (and due to the limited VR controls, it needs to make encounters very differently). HL2 has more straight-up big fights. I can't remember the games that clearly, but I remember just thinking they were exciting romps.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

sigher posted:

I asked in the Disc but didn't get an answer, but does anyone have any troubleshooting advice for Steam Remote Play? It works save for any video, the inputs and sound will work just fine but the client machine (either the Deck or my main rig) never receives any video. I'm too lazy to set up Moonlight and I just like poo poo already built into Steam.

It used to work just fine.

If it's consistent across two client devices that suggests it's a host issue. Check what the host encoding options are set to I guess? I'd also check if you have any GPU driver updates.

Since the recent updates to remote play I've basically dropped Moonlight, remote play is giving me everything I need in terms of stream quality / responsiveness and it's much more straightforward to jump into a game, even with Moondeck

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I'm thinking about getting a Steam Deck solely as an emulation handheld. Can I buy the discounted 64gb LCD one and then load everything onto a 512gb sd card?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Mine was in the original order processed started till this morning, but then got an email a few hours ago saying it shipped and provided a tracking number. So those steps happen rapidly when they get to it.

UPS don't have it in their system, so it's really "we packed it, stuck a label on it and will give it to UPS at some point."

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Got the tracking on the LE about an hour ago. It’s going through UPS but there’s nothing yet on their system.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

frosteh posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Steam Deck solely as an emulation handheld. Can I buy the discounted 64gb LCD one and then load everything onto a 512gb sd card?

Yes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I had to wait a year to get my Steam Deck after I ordered it Day 1

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

frosteh posted:

Yes, but the og 256GB model is only $50 more and that SSD will speed up even the base system performance. It's worth considering that extra $50 for what it gives you.

This video goes into way too much detail, but you could skip to the last 2 or 3 segments in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PYAbu0swi0

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

v1ld posted:

Yes, but the og 256GB model is only $50 more and that SSD will speed up even the base system performance. It's worth considering that extra $50 for what it gives you.

This video goes into way too much detail, but you could skip to the last 2 or 3 segments in it.

i guess $50 1TB M2 2230 drives are the counter argument

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

We want our new toys!!!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

i guess $50 1TB M2 2230 drives are the counter argument

Nice, I'd definitely buy the 64gb and upgrade to a 1TB SSD. Skip the 512GB SD even.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Haha it shipped bitch

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do the same Guilkit Hall Effect joysticks work in the OLED or should I wait for them to come out with a new model?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pirate Jet posted:

Do the same Guilkit Hall Effect joysticks work in the OLED or should I wait for them to come out with a new model?

Nope! Get ready for another revision.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I got everything set up with my Deck back from repairing the soundboard and updated to 3.5.5 when I noticed one small problem, which is that it refuses to play any games.

They all just spin on the Steam logo before returning to the library with
no message, except Cassette Beasts, which reaches the splash screen and sits there forever.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

v1ld posted:

I'm the guy in the picture carefully considering the situation. thats me

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

My man, asking the same question I’ve been wondering since I clicked ‘Order’. I intend to yank out those dirty potentiometers as soon as I am able.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I had a micro sd with a bunch of games on it, can I take that out of my old Deck and put it into my new one without much fuss, once I get it set up with my account?

Just got my tracking number, though it isn't active on UPS yet.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

My man, asking the same question I’ve been wondering since I clicked ‘Order’. I intend to yank out those dirty potentiometers as soon as I am able.

Have there actually been a lot of drifting deck sticks? I preemptively replaced the sticks on mine with gulikit ones but I actually don't like the feel of them as much as the stock ones. I won't be replacing my OLED deck sticks unless they break .

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Unlucky7 posted:

If I had a micro sd with a bunch of games on it, can I take that out of my old Deck and put it into my new one without much fuss, once I get it set up with my account?

Just got my tracking number, though it isn't active on UPS yet.

Yep - swap it into the new deck, add the games folder on the card as a Library location, and it should pick up everything you've got installed on it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Yep - swap it into the new deck, add the games folder on the card as a Library location, and it should pick up everything you've got installed on it.

I can’t enjoy playing the Deck if I know my sticks could be optical but instead use primitive pre-Dreamcast technology.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I'm the guy in the picture carefully considering the situation. thats me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHUBNIGGURATHS CLIT
Jan 6, 2005

you're
Ordered my limited edition OLED pretty late in the afternoon of Friday the 17th and it just switched from payment processed to packaged items this evening. Very robust distribution network they got goin on even covering Sunday hours!