Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My fort in Dwarf Fortress is too peaceful. I've had so much time on my hands and so many migrants that I have multiple squads of bored killers now just sitting around armed to the teeth with nothing to kill. Except that one crocodile that somehow got inside, started a fire, then ran out before being murdered by thirty blood thirsty dwarves. I've even started expanding into the caverns and nothing attacks! Except that one crocodile. My dwarves have started carving images of that thing into the walls.

marshmallow creep posted:

I feel it's great in multiplayer. You don't even have to be in the same map most of the time, just in the same act.

It doesn't have the option to spread rumors about the other players like Wasteland 3, but it has a bunch of other stuff. My favorite moment was when my friend was trying to seduce the evil drow woman, and then I talked to her at just the right moment and I'm the one she went to bed with. Woops! (this has been patched and each player can seduce their own NPC if you are so inclined)

You can pickpocket items from NPCs and throw them into your party member's pockets, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

My favorite moment was when my friend was trying to seduce the evil drow woman, and then I talked to her at just the right moment and I'm the one she went to bed with. Woops!

Drow think all non-drow look alike and she couldn't actually tell who she was talking to.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah
BG3 multiplayer is good for the same reasons it is in the pen and paper version.

BG3 multiplayer is bad for the same reasons it is in the pen and paper version.

(My one actual gripe is that whoever starts a dialogue with an NPC is the only one who can make choices or do rolls. So if your persuasive bard doesn't enter the room first, they can't engage with or affect the dialogue at all.)

DyneAvenger has a new favorite as of 14:26 on Nov 18, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DyneAvenger posted:

BG3 multiplayer is good for the same reasons it is in the pen and paper version.

BG3 multiplayer is bad for the same reasons it is in the pen and paper version.

(My one actual gripe is that whoever starts a dialogue with an NPC is the only one who can make choices or do rolls. So if your persuasive bard doesn't enter the room first, they can't engage with or affect the dialogue at all.)

That's a problem with non-multiplayer too, tbh. It's been a problem with Larian games (and a lot of videogame rpgs with dialogue boxes and multiple party members) for ages. Just let us swap who's talking! It's especially bad since there are some segments where an NPC will talk to someone after a fight and I swear it seems random whether they run up to whoever you were controlling, whoever had the last turn, or whoever was just closest.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Silly little thing dragging a game down: I don't like Wordle's hard mode.

Quick explanation if you haven't played: In Wordle you have 6 attempts to guess a 5 letter word as the game tells you which letters you get right and which ones are in the right place. In normal mode, those are the only rules. On hard though, you have to use every clue that you found previously in each subsequent guess, so if you find out the first letter is a T and there's a C somewhere, every guess now has to start with T and contain a C.

It may not sound so bad, it even sounds like something that you should do since the only thing this does is prevent you from making guesses that can't be the answer, but one of the most annoying effects of this is that if you get something like *ATCH after your first guess, you now have 5 attempts to guess between latch, catch, hatch, patch, watch, match, batch, etc.

Wordle scholars will say that it's your own drat fault for guessing a *ATCH word as your first guess, and they're right; that's what hard mode is about : not painting yourself into a corner, but Wordle isn't a god drat chess game, it's what I do for 2 minutes when I take my morning poo poo. What I like to do when I play Wordle is wing it and sometimes use a word that doesn't have any of the clues I've found but instead uses 5 new letters to help me on my next guess, and in that light all hard mode does is limit the way I play.

Now you'll say that I should just shut the gently caress up and play on normal and you're absolutely right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

That's a problem with non-multiplayer too, tbh. It's been a problem with Larian games (and a lot of videogame rpgs with dialogue boxes and multiple party members) for ages. Just let us swap who's talking! It's especially bad since there are some segments where an NPC will talk to someone after a fight and I swear it seems random whether they run up to whoever you were controlling, whoever had the last turn, or whoever was just closest.

I've genuinely found sometimes a non-controlled party member just starts a conversation out of nowhere sometimes. Not even a story-relevant one, the game just decides 'nope, Shadowheart's talking to this person'.

Always Shadowheart, too, for some reason.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Nuebot posted:

Yup, it's very frustrating. I actually respecced away from being a full time bard because half of our important dialogues were being initiated by my friend's barbarian orc who simply could not stop himself from charging in (tbf, that's his character!).

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

DyneAvenger posted:

Yup, it's very frustrating. I actually respecced away from being a full time bard because half of our important dialogues were being initiated by my friend's barbarian orc who simply could not stop himself from charging in (tbf, that's his character!).

I don't blame him either, all of the barbarian exclusive dialogue options are fantastic, and it's annoying you can't just swap people in to see who has the best poo poo. Meanwhile I think I saw maybe two or three half-orc options the entire game, so anyone rushing in "just in case there are orc options!" is always going to be disappointed.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

Wordle's hard mode.

This sounds extremely stupid, and actively reduces the amount of tactical choices you have as a player.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I mean, that's literally the point of it, and you have to actively choose to play that way, so :shrug: I guess

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Always Shadowheart, too, for some reason.

Well she is God’s Favorite Princess.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

rydiafan posted:

This sounds extremely stupid, and actively reduces the amount of tactical choices you have as a player.

I mean, technically yes, but the intent is to make you think harder about your guesses; instead of just trying to work out the most letters at any cost, you're trying to find good guesses that also won't lock you into an impossible path. I get why other people like it, I just really don't.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Morrowind's finale proved to be a bit of an anti-climax, which is a known problem. There's a mod to make the Sixth House more mechanically challenging, but I don't think that'd fix my real issue which is the structure. Vivec gives you Wraithguard so you can wield the two legendary weapons Sunder and Keening without outright dying on the spot, that's badass. But said legendary weapons are just sort of randomly in the hands of two of Dagoth Ur's priests because...uhm....reasons.... And said priests are camped out in four "citadels" that are in actuality four minor Dwemer ruins that are barely more than two rooms big. (And then two more in the ancestral base of House Dagoth and another in some random cave somewhere for some reason.) There's an entire abandoned mechanic where killing the priests is supposed to lower Dagoth Ur's health, otherwise everything but taking the two key artifacts are optional. Hilariously, OpenMW fixed the mechanic only to realize that by default killing all six priests kills Dagoth Ur outright, necessitating further tweaks.

I'm sure some of it is down to playing the expansions first, which show that the skillset of the designers was already improving. Both of the expacks have issues, but they have a much stronger visual presentation and more elaborate scripted elements. Whereas loving up the Heart of Lorkhan and putting Dagoth Ur down for good ends up feeling clunky and almost pedestrian. It's lacking in bombast despite involving a giant dwarven Gundam powered by the literal heart of a god.

I can't help but suspect that in a story concluding with assembling three legendary artifacts that the original plan was to in some way receive each artifact from one of the Tribunal. Keening looks a hell of a lot like something Sotha Sil would tote around and Sunder fits Almalexia's dogmatic vibe pretty well. And the whole point was the Tribunal used those artifacts to become the gods in the first place. Combine that with a more fleshed out Sixth House presence on Red Mountain and you'd have a truly epic endgame. But alas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mario Wonder has a nice badge mechanic to let you select between a bunch of extra perks like additional platforming mechanics or helpful boosts. One of the nicest is a sensor that glows when you're near collectibles, except for one thing - it still does that around the collectibles you've gotten previously. Not so bad the first time around, but it sure gets annoying when you're going back to clear older levels and you spend a while trying to find an indicated item, only to realize it was just a coin you already collected days ago. It just feels like they flopped on the implementation right at the end, it would've been much better to have it only activate for new items.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The Morrowind expansions were meant to be done after finishing off Dagoth Ur, yeah. Destroying Akluakhan or however it’s spelled doesn’t end the game.

The mod to make the Sixth House stronger is actually what puts the artifacts in the hands of Sixth House priests. Originally you could just sneak in and steal them, but the idea is that yes, the Sixth House would be keeping very close watch on the tools of its destruction, and you would have to wrest them from their best in order to be able to use them against Dagoth Ur himself.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Arivia posted:

The Morrowind expansions were meant to be done after finishing off Dagoth Ur, yeah. Destroying Akluakhan or however it’s spelled doesn’t end the game.

The mod to make the Sixth House stronger is actually what puts the artifacts in the hands of Sixth House priests. Originally you could just sneak in and steal them, but the idea is that yes, the Sixth House would be keeping very close watch on the tools of its destruction, and you would have to wrest them from their best in order to be able to use them against Dagoth Ur himself.

Well, not quite. I forgot that Keening is actually just lying around and can be freely taken, but Sunder is held by one of the priests even in vanilla. Does the mod actually make him wield it?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Well, not quite. I forgot that Keening is actually just lying around and can be freely taken, but Sunder is held by one of the priests even in vanilla. Does the mod actually make him wield it?

No but I didn’t say it did.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Arivia posted:

I mean I don't think it's a big deal but I don't know how else to interpret this post though :confused:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if i fight my way into your house and steal your dog i've still wrested it from you, even if you weren't wielding the dog in hand-to-hand combat

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really dislike it when Harvestmoonlikes and Stardewvalleylikes have quality levels, and the items don't stack anymore.
So the moment you start skilling up your inventory starts shrinking since some items you pick up will take up more and more space as you get some basic, some silver, a bronze one, etc.

Why these games can't learn from Rune Factory is a mystery. It's been ages since I played 4, but I'm pretty sure those games just stacked items regardless of quality level into the same slot, and let you pick out the ones you wanted.
(And also run around with a stack of 10+ items in a giant vertical tower in your hands, the superior way to run around with items.')

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Small Saga:

It's 2023. I understand having save points as a thing for oldschool JRPG sensibilities, but put in an autosave. Nothing kills my urge to explore more than finding a fun boss fight, dying to it, and then remembering that the last time I saved was long enough ago that I have to button mash through dialogue I've already seen. Which, also, it's 2023! If I've seen the dialogue before, let me press and hold a button to skip it! :argh:

e: or let me do a manual save from the world map. or put a save point in the spot with a boss fight. or just put me back at the area entrance if I die!!

bawk has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Nov 21, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
MLB: The SHow

My players have suddenly decided to start stealing bases entirely on their own with no input from me. I'm not accidentally hitting buttons, it's not a faulty controller and have the settings on user controlled baserunning. Been running my way out of playoff contention with this poo poo and can't find a fix.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

recently finished playing Lunacid, an indie King's Field-like. it was a relatively short jaunt through some dark corridors as i slowly hacked away at skeletons and mummies. vibes absolutely off the shits. good times.

where the game loses me a bit is just how many secrets were hidden behind fake walls. want to forge the sword to kill death? two of the parts are hidden behind fake walls. want to find the challenge dungeon that rewards the moonlight greatsword? the entrance is behind a fake wall. want to work towards the final ending? find this object behind a fake wall, take it to a fake wall that's behind another fake wall, get the key that unlocks another fake wall, take that item to another fake wall—

it's the kind of game that i don't really mind missing things, or discovering secrets after the fact through a wiki or whatever. but it would have felt better if i could have found some of these things more naturally than just licking every wall i walked past.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

recently finished playing Lunacid, an indie King's Field-like

it would have felt better if i could have found some of these things more naturally than just licking every wall i walked past.

Went from wishlist to cart, thanks Kaubocks :cheers:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m mostly enjoying lunacid so far but yeah, way too much of this game has been spent rubbing my face along wall textures because there’s substantial content behind them everywhere. There was a series of multiple hidden walls containing a friendly slime enemy that asked if I was single, and now I can’t leave any walls untouched because there could be a slime girlfriend behind any of them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bawk posted:

Went from wishlist to cart, thanks Kaubocks :cheers:

any time :buddy:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lunacid sounds like a great game to play while stoned

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Meowywitch posted:

That's Vampire Survivors for me.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Meowywitch posted:

it is so long as you retain a sense of direction. I walked circles in the first area for far too long trying to find my way back to a specific door.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Waste of Breath posted:

it is so long as you retain a sense of direction.

i played the whole game without the compass enabled. i knew it was there, just wasn't really interested in it. felt more "authentic" without it, i guess

navigating the accursed tomb was a nightmare lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait what there’s a compass?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Owl Inspector posted:

I’m mostly enjoying lunacid so far but yeah, way too much of this game has been spent rubbing my face along wall textures because there’s substantial content behind them everywhere. There was a series of multiple hidden walls containing a friendly slime enemy that asked if I was single, and now I can’t leave any walls untouched because there could be a slime girlfriend behind any of them.

While it is a bit of a pain in the rear end, if there's a secret wall within close range of you a ? pops up on your screen.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Owl Inspector posted:

Wait what there’s a compass?

It's off by default, but you can toggle it in the options. You can even make it look like the King's Field one. It's very helpful, unless you're me and forget to ever pay attention to it until you're already completely lost.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I need to turn that on because I just spent another hour running circles in the mummy area

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Spider-Man 2 doesn't give you any bonuses after hitting max level. This is in contrast to the first game that let you level up continuously, but each level just gave you +1 health and +1% damage. It's not much, but it makes doing challenges and fights after max level still feel like you're working towards something. Maybe with a NG+ patch in the future?

When I played NG+ on the first Spider-Man I had no problem doing all the challenges again, they're fine and all but that tiny little bit of growth was enough to make the gremlin in my brain rub its hands together muttering "good...good..."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Attainable level caps make me rage.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, especially in this kind of game where you can hit it pretty easily just in running swinging around doing stuff along the way. I can't remember if the first game had that from the start or if it got added in sometime later, it'd be nice to have it back for sure.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Morpheus posted:

--- but that tiny little bit of growth was enough to make the gremlin in my brain rub its hands together muttering "good...good..."

Yeah, especially in games where you can easily hit the cap before completing a first playthrough at all.
Just let me keep getting levels, even if I don't get fancy skillpoints or whatever.

Hitting a level cap in AAA Openworld game of the Year 20XX and the game just disabling the entire xp and levelling system, particularly when xp is one of the big rewards for quests up until that point is a huge annoyance for me.
(Hell, I'd probably even be happy if just the level kept going up, with zero change otherwise. It's just the 'you're level 50 now, all of these '2000xp' rewards for quests and etc are useless to you, and the xp bar is locked/gone', thing bothers me.)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Same thing bugged me about the Horizon games. Like, it would've been so easy in those games to duplicate what the Assassin's Creed games did: when you hit max level, you no longer gain actual levels, but you do gain skill points, which can either be put towards skills you didn't purchase yet, or to skills that raise your melee, range, or assassination damage by a little bit, and can be taken as many times as you want. Like, let me raise Aloy's bow damage by a little bit, or her melee damage, or her health or something. Literally anything, who cares about balance, it's such a small amount and it's at the end of the game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Spider-Man 2 doesn't give you any bonuses after hitting max level. This is in contrast to the first game that let you level up continuously, but each level just gave you +1 health and +1% damage. It's not much, but it makes doing challenges and fights after max level still feel like you're working towards something. Maybe with a NG+ patch in the future?

When I played NG+ on the first Spider-Man I had no problem doing all the challenges again, they're fine and all but that tiny little bit of growth was enough to make the gremlin in my brain rub its hands together muttering "good...good..."

The bonus levels also had their own cap but yeah it definitely extended the progression system. What was nice was you still "levelled" infinitely even after the new cap purely for the nice sound and visual effect. I know they increased the health cap after launch but I don't remember if what they called the Superior levels were in from the start.