Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Read After Burning posted:

I hated the Scott Pilgrim movie besides Culkin's character and maybe Kim, but I am thoroughly enjoying episode 1 of the cartoon so far. Give it a chance, even if you aren't a fan of the movie.

Spoiler something minor for me regarding the exes, though, please: during the fight with Roxy? I forget the ex girlfriend's name, does Ramona still say "it was only a phase"?

All I'll say is you have absolutely nothing to worry about on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Part of the the charm of the new show is that it’s trying to reckon with the flaws of both the movie and books in what have so far been pretty admirable ways.

It’s not so much a remake as a series of musings and variations on the themes of the books/movies, if that makes sense. It’s something more remakes should try.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wow. Episode 6 is perfect. Best 30 Minutes of action in a decade.
Watch that. Watch that!
If you don't really feel like starting a new series, just watch episode 6, you don't even need context for that.

I prefer episode 5, “The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride”. While it can’t really be enjoyed outside of the other episodes contextually, it’s a near-perfect animated piece imo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a new, completely terrible Walking Dead videogame and it has a gimmick where you can change events from the show's story. It sounds like an interesting idea except it was published by GameMill who don't have the most... money when it comes to putting out games. This leads to redoing Rick and Shane's final confrontation not as a tense dramatic moment but instead an arena boss battle where Rick takes multiple shotgun blasts to the face.

https://i.kinja-img.com/image/upload/c_fit,q_60,w_1315/896315b4c4a134cea815895cef38156f.mp4

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

That’s a heck of an objective lol

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I prefer episode 5, “The Tale of the Ronin and the Bride”. While it can’t really be enjoyed outside of the other episodes contextually, it’s a near-perfect animated piece imo.

I actually didn't like the frame story of that. But I can see why people would do.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I’m really glad i saw the posts about the Scott Pilgrim show here because when i first heard there was one coming out i was like “ugh, why?!” I liked the comics and the movie was fine but it i thought it was going to just be the same thing again. I decided to give it a shot anyway though and watched it today and I loved it. I don’t think i’ve had this much fun watching TV in awhile. i also appreciated seeing way more of my favorite evil ex, Matthew Patel :buddy:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

MechaSeinfeld posted:

That’s a heck of an objective lol

What you don't always see that flashing in the corner of your vision irl??

111923_3
Nov 20, 2023
steve van zandt as a spry 50 year old

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Just watched episode 6 of Scavengers Reign and HOOOOOLY poo poo the last 10 minutes from (major spoilers) Levi "dying", Sam "dying", old woman emerges from the forest, guy in space suit hears communicator is some of the most intense jaw dropping eyes glued to the set TV I've seen in some time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bass Reeves is a good show.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is it fair to say that you're all about that bass?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

Bass Reeves is a good show.

Azhais posted:

Is it fair to say that you're all about that bass?

All About That Bass: No Trouble

Also, been rewatching bits and pieces of Scrubs. What a fun show. It's hard for me to believe that it premiered 22 years ago.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just watched the first two episodes of Severence and as someone who has spent a lot of time working in big soulless corporate offices that was really uhhh... uncannily analogous to actual large corporate office work. It's a great encapsulation of the existential dread and overall vibe of being a corporate wageslave spreadsheet toucher. Very unsettling, but intriguing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The freakiest thing about Scavengers Reign, is how all the alien creatures have these big black eyes. They remind me of the "grey" aliens.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Arist posted:

All I'll say is you have absolutely nothing to worry about on that front.

:hai: Thank you. Hearing that line in theaters was a bit of a gut punch, since as a bi girl who had just came out to everyone, I IMMEDIATELY caught on to Ramona correcting him with "evil EXES". I'm sitting there thinking, "Hell yeah, this character is just casually bi without any fan service scenes", and then immediately had the smile wiped from my face at that line.

It was like the movie dangled a tiny bit of representation in front of my face and then snatched it away while laughing. :shrug: Bit of a personal squabble on my part, but it kind of sealed the deal on the other things I didn't like about the movie.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The second season of The Lazarus Project owned hard. Great if you're looking for some Nolan-esque sci-fi nonsense.

The first season is some fun timeloop international jetsetting superagent nonsense, but the second season adds independent time travel to the mix, so now you've got timeloops with multiple versions of the cast running around. It's very fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

The second season of The Lazarus Project owned hard. Great if you're looking for some Nolan-esque sci-fi nonsense.

The first season is some fun timeloop international jetsetting superagent nonsense, but the second season adds independent time travel to the mix, so now you've got timeloops with multiple versions of the cast running around. It's very fun.
I felt ambivalent about the first season but that sounds more like my kind of time travel show so I'll have to watch the second season

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm loving loving the Scott Pilgrim series so far (4 episodes in), I'm so glad I went into it relatively unspoiled. I knew there was a twist at the end of the 1st episode, just not what and the fight in episode 3 was amazing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah thought you'd like it. There's a lot to cew in there.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I binged this over the course of a few days and I agree that it was very fun. Not sure how I felt about the (ambiguous ending spoilers for S2) twist at the end but I will definitely be tuning in for S3.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So this deal is back but I have no idea how it’s going to shake out with Disney folding everything together in one app.

People are saying you can add D+ for $2 more but :shrug:

Max with ads is $2.99 for 6 months

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 21, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'll hold out until they have an an option for hulu with being waterboarded for 50 cents a month

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Someone tried to sell me a burger once for 12 bucks. I asked for if subbing the beef for manure would bring the price down any.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

oh jay posted:

Someone tried to sell me a burger once for 12 bucks. I asked for if subbing the beef for manure would bring the price down any.

"but sir it's already manure"

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
The streaming wars adpocalypse yearly shoot yourself in the foot event is going well i take it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just learned that Hulu is doing a series on James Clavell's Shogun, and I am pumped.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

C-Euro posted:

Just learned that Hulu is doing a series on James Clavell's Shogun, and I am pumped.

It's FX. Which I guess runs of Hulu. Which is also owned by Disney. Everything is weird now.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Well, the Fear the Walking Dead finale commited the cardinal sin for a series finale. It was written by an oyster, and not a talented one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
spill

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do oysters have a strong reputation wrt screenwriting?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Khanstant posted:

Do oysters have a strong reputation wrt screenwriting?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Oh no, they've clammed up

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Computer, can I get a printout of Oyster writing?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Computer, can I get a printout of Oyster writing?

Computer. Oyster writing, hot.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Based on the recommendations from this thread, I started Scavengers Reign and I’m only 2 episodes in and already sad that it’s going to be over at some point

It’s got such a chill laid back vibe, despite the fact that what’s happening is often neither chill nor laid back

I want more like this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The frequent shots of the alien flora and fauna just existing are really loving great. Somebody trick David Attenborough into narrating an entire series of just that!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It kinda does the Six Feet Under cold open thing but it's about the entire life cycle of an incomprehensible alien organism and it's my favorite thing in the world.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Oh no, they've clammed up

I'm not letting this go unappreciated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I haven't been particularly fond of Rick & Morty the past few seasons. And I was wondering if this is overfamiliarity with the tropes or even growth as a person.

Nope. Watched SE1E3 Anatomy Park and it's a home run even today.