Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

goatface posted:

Unfortunately, we do not appear to live in a world where that happens to the worst offenders.

Yeah. I know. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok, I'll switch to firefox then.

You won google.

I don't wanna, but I guess we'll have to switch soon.
Some random fonts look like poo poo in Firefox without rhyme or reason, the scrolling is all slow and wrong and whatever video player they use is sluggish and :smith:
There's a reason Chromium took 98% of the market.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

JNCO BILOBA posted:

If that's the case, I'll be sad to lose Arc but Firefox and others based on it should be fine so long as I don't lose my mouse/swipe gestures. Ads are never the way.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/gesturefy/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Shoot, this is Mozilla's windfall, and I'm 51% sure they'll find a way to ruin it or allow it to be ruined.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why doesn't html just make its own drat browser

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Should I get Firefox or Opera? Which is better on mobile?

Yesterdays Latte
Nov 14, 2021
I think pretty much every browser besides Firefox and its derivatives are just Chrome/WebKit reskins so the only really safe one is FF at this point.

Been using FreeTube/NewPipe since the ad blocker blocker messages started showing up, thanks to the folks that suggested it :)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

its all nice on rice posted:

Should I get Firefox or Opera? Which is better on mobile?

Firefox. You can import your bookmarks/passwords, and it will proceed to sync them between your phone and your PC, and you can also see tabs you have open on PC and quickly bring them up on mobile.

Specifically for YouTube on Android though, you want NewPipe SponsorBlock which blocks all ads and skips all filler segments.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
as someone who has been using nothing but firefox for the last 20 years, fuckin told you so

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

the picture in picture feature on youtube premium is so loving good i should have gotten this years ago

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

pencilhands posted:

the picture in picture feature on youtube premium is so loving good i should have gotten this years ago

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
You can use a chrome extension to do pip on yt which is actually great because so many websites have their own way of doing this. But yeah it’s useful having pip on yt vids on the sa app.

It sure would be funny to stop paying for YouTube music because they stop my ad blocker on yt desktop and I change how I use their stuff entirely. This thread has given a couple of possibilities where I can conceivably do that, even if it’s not as closely tied into Waze or w/e else.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Wow. That was super easy to import just about everything from Chrome to Firefox. Took like 5 seconds.

To be honest, the only reason I switched from Firefox to Chrome was in 2010 when I got a job at Google and that's what they had so I just got used to it and switched at home. Back then I think FF still had memory leak issues and it was a hog on resources in general.

Firefox did have major issues around then but got much better by mid-late 2010s I think?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

doctorfrog posted:

Shoot, this is Mozilla's windfall, and I'm 51% sure they'll find a way to ruin it or allow it to be ruined.

:ssh: mozilla is largely funded by google as an antitrust magic charm

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Yesterdays Latte posted:

I think pretty much every browser besides Firefox and its derivatives are just Chrome/WebKit reskins so the only really safe one is FF at this point.

Been using FreeTube/NewPipe since the ad blocker blocker messages started showing up, thanks to the folks that suggested it :)

safari webkit really should be considered separate from Chrome and third engine

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

pencilhands posted:

What is the point of pip, especially on YouTube? Are you that hard up for content?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
First off, this:

Junk posted:

as someone who has been using nothing but firefox for the last 20 years, fuckin told you so

Second, just throw on the YouTube extension for Firefox.

Third, can't wait til Google makes YouTube videos "accidentally" break in Firefox and the people waiting patiently to go after google for everything they can are able to have fun.

Remember when this happened with Internet Explorer? Time is a flat circle lol

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
My adblocker still works? Am I safe because EU or is it very selective?

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

Oldstench posted:

What is the point of pip, especially on YouTube? Are you that hard up for content?

You can overlay the youtube video onto a video game or activity, the answer is yes though picture-in-picture is the sign of a mental health issue. I started using it today

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Oldstench posted:

poor detected

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
pip is for people who can't afford enough screens

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Thanks Ants posted:

I have misplaced hope that this overreach by Google sees the popularity of Chrome plummet

I just want enough firefox usage that chrome isn’t standard enough that a bunch of sites require it like IE.

I’m done with this thing where we beg everyone to internet properly and after like a decade everyone’s boomers are finally running adblock, off IE, and has a password on their wifi.

We should just let scrubs have the lovely internet they deserve this time.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

pencilhands posted:

poor detected

You're really bad at being Ersatz Wizard Master.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

syntaxfunction posted:

Third, can't wait til Google makes YouTube videos "accidentally" break in Firefox and the people waiting patiently to go after google for everything they can are able to have fun.

I mean, Google had hosed up something that caused some Pixel phones to crash the OS when you used Firefox too long that just so happened to get silently fixed during that big antitrust case that's going on, so...

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

you know not enough people are saying that youtube funkin sucks anyway lol. i dont give a gently caress if they shut it down. you can't find the original "who's that pokemon?!?!?!" video without sifting through a thousand clones. youtube has no purpose as its original purpose anymore.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

lol I just went to download the Firefox installer from the official Mozilla site and Chrome tried to block it as an "unsafe download"

Also I'm super glad I checked this thread, Chrome disabling uBlock is all the reason I need to ditch it

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i purchased 4 dozen carrier pigeons, i'm ready to post

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

iMO the Internet has never been better.

peachy...
Jan 15, 2020

~hey~
Firefox + ublock + noscript. I will never see a website again

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GolfHole posted:

you know not enough people are saying that youtube funkin sucks anyway lol. i dont give a gently caress if they shut it down. you can't find the original "who's that pokemon?!?!?!" video without sifting through a thousand clones. youtube has no purpose as its original purpose anymore.
it’s literally the first result for “who’s that pokemon original”

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

god damnit!!!!!! arggggghhghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They turned the Have you heard of the high elves video into a YT short, YouTube is dead to me

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

They turned the Have you heard of the high elves video into a YT short, YouTube is dead to me

here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They turned it back to spite me! YouTube is dead to me!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Argentina just elected their anarcho version of Trump so there’s no better time to subscribe to youtube premium with a VPN

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Fun fact you can take the video id from the url of a short and paste it in the place of a video id in a normal video's url and then you get it in regular video format.

I like how shorts are just a worse UI but TikTok is popular so YouTube wants to be like TikTok.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fun fact you cannot cast shorts to your TV, they're just arbitrarily less useful.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Elukka posted:

Fun fact you can take the video id from the url of a short and paste it in the place of a video id in a normal video's url and then you get it in regular video format.

I like how shorts are just a worse UI but TikTok is popular so YouTube wants to be like TikTok.

Thanks for the tip on that one. I wonder if it works the other way 'round? I've noticed that the shorts don't have any anti-adblock.

Edit: No, it does not.

Smik fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Elukka posted:

To add to this, I use the Redirector plugin to do that for me automatically.

https://einaregilsson.com/redirector/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tunicate posted:

fun fact you cannot cast shorts to your TV, they're just arbitrarily less useful.

They don't have a volume slider unlike a normal video. They had to write extra lines of code to get rid of the volume slider, I'm 100% sure that was someone's job for 20-40 hours. Writing out the ability to change volume and testing it.