Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I can’t tell if this is a gag or not, I cannot trust anything he says

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

What’s a rehearsal but after the fact

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

vegetables posted:

Wouldn’t a were-worm be a man who turns into a worm? He sounds very easy to fight

A were-worm just asks you if you'd still love them if it were a full moon.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
<pointing at a mound of dirt> There worm.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gonz posted:

If Willie had a Viking funeral, everyone in attendance would ascend to another plane of existence outside of normal spacetime.
Naaaaah how much of that weed consumption was old timey boomer weed that would barely make me feel anything.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There is a goon who has a really funny anecdote about smoking with a group of friends and a boomer came over to them and talked about how much weed he used to smoke and asked if he could join. Goon and friends warned him that he likely smoked less potent stuff, which the boomer dismissed, then after have a few goes they got into their car and promptly drove into a parked car lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1725890107473842609?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He must be playing someone French soon.

Ratatouille 2 ?

(Rata2ille)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Getting in character for Wallace and Gromit.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Getting in character for Wallace and Gromit.

Bad news about that.

https://twitter.com/MailOnline/status/1725925711406313690?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dang, thought I was in the Capitalism.png thread for a moment

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like 16% of volume of the earth surface is clay, they should just go to any random backyard and dig some more up the lazy bums!!!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's claymation just reshape the clay you have

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

it's claymation just reshape the clay you have

This creates a terrifying possibility of millions of individual Wallaces arranged in an underground storage unit somewhere, like a bald British Terracotta Army

E: vvv lol

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 19, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

This creates a terrifying possibility of millions of individual Wallaces arranged in an underground storage unit somewhere, like a bald British Terracotta Army

Alternatively, one day when they finally crack open Qin Shi Huangdi's tomb, they're gonna find his greatest treasure: an enormous primitive zoetrope he created of a terracotta guy dancing and doing the Robot, which used the individual Terracotta soldiers as reference material.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The emperor buried himself with horses proving that he studied them in order to figure out if they always had one foot touch the ground at a full gallop

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Aardman's warehouse burnt down in 2005 so they're desperate to restock their ranks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Hunger Games prequel took in a pretty underwhelming $44 million at the box office this weekend domestically. That's less than half the opening weekend of the final film that game out in 2015.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I think we've really hit a point of franchise slop not being enough to attract audiences any more.

I'm not saying we're hitting some amazing heyday of original cinema. However, while Barbie, Oppenheimer and Mario are all adaptations, also, none of them is a sequel. They all represent a very singular "event" in what they were selling that wasn't just the same reheated trash (I actually really dislike that Mario movie, but in the context of Nintendo having been so reluctant to license their content to this point, it is novel)

The sequels that WERE somewhat successful were ones where there's still a decent amount of goodwill for the franchise i.e Fast X (tho waning, many feel it jumped the shark) or Spider man animated and not connected to franchise-building slop, other than Guardians 3, which is relatively self contained, actually has an authorial voice from James Gunn and is pretty unrelated to continuing content from the Disney+ streaming assembly line unlike the Marvel films that flipped this year

I don't think we're quite back in an old cinema renaissance but I DO think there's glimmers of hope in that audiences seem to be getting a little more discerning about Pavlovian responses to franchises and want something with a distinct perspective, even if it's not necessarily arthouse

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I cannot wait for the 30 connected films poo poo to die

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's been like 8 years since the last Hunger Games movie. I know this prequel novel the new film is based on was written after the original movies came out, but to me the HG franchise has been pretty dead since last decade. I remember when the second part of the finale was released there was a lot of discussion even then that the franchise was already kind of done.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So many kids were reading those books, then the popularity died almost overnight. My school has tons of copies of them that no one is interested in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Hunger Games prequel took in a pretty underwhelming $44 million at the box office this weekend domestically. That's less than half the opening weekend of the final film that game out in 2015.

Considering a lay up Trolls sequel also underperforming I think it is just a weak time for the box office.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

So many kids were reading those books, then the popularity died almost overnight. My school has tons of copies of them that no one is interested in.

I remember "I volunteer as tribute!" and Jennifer Lawrence raising her fingers were big memes for a while but I don't think I've seen even the typical YA nerd base using those in years. And when your dystopian YA adaptation movie franchise sequel has lost even that demographic....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember "I volunteer as tribute!" and Jennifer Lawrence raising her fingers were big memes for a while but I don't think I've seen even the typical YA nerd base using those in years. And when your dystopian YA adaptation movie franchise sequel has lost even that demographic....
The dystopian YA novel fad was already kind of dying when the Hunger Games franchise was finishing the original trilogy. They did the thing that a lot of those YA films were doing in the 2010s, which was splitting the final part into two parts to milk more money out of it. But the second part of the third film I think actually underperformed the first.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean it's like Harry Potter, or even LOTR to tie this to the earlier Hobbit conversation. For the vast majority of people, the series ended so they dipped when it was over. They enjoyed it while it was going on, but they don't care to see the secret story of Dumbledore's long lost brother or the winner of the previous Hunger Games or whatever.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
What's the plot of the new Hunger Games film anyway? I thought it was going to be about the first ever Games but from the trailer it seems like it's been going on for years and it's just about the younger version of Donald Sutherland's character - why should we care about him again?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Carpet posted:

What's the plot of the new Hunger Games film anyway? I thought it was going to be about the first ever Games but from the trailer it seems like it's been going on for years and it's just about the younger version of Donald Sutherland's character - why should we care about him again?
I have only seen the first Hunger Games movie, but isn't Donald Sutherland's character like the main villain of that trilogy?

But yeah as far as I can tell the book this is based on was a cash-in.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The depiction of civil war in the last-half movie was deemed distasteful coming off so soon after the Paris attacks. It's easier for a work to play down any parallels to a real-life tragedy that happens close by if the creators choose to toss in an orc or a robot into the mix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Carpet posted:

It is basically telling the story of how the Hunger Games became what they were by the time of Katniss. Going from just throwing 24 kids into a sports arena and watching them kill each other to a massively popular piece of entertainment. The movie does kind of suffer for being a condensed version of the book so some of the stuff (especially in the back half) doesn't really get enough time to breathe.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

It also only cost $100 million (how loving nuts is it that thats a nothing budget it the current blockbuster landscape) so when all is said and done it'll probably turn a profit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Honestly I didn’t see a lot of promotion for this. Like I don’t think I saw a single trailer or TV spot.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

I cannot wait for the 30 connected films poo poo to die

I really do feel like their arms were too wide for The Marvels. The best I've heard from fans was that it's a good story for the characters/a solid Kamala Khan story, and like, I just can't imagine doing the homework of watching the Ms. Marvel show just to feel some little payoff from this movie. This Thanksgiving is either Wish, The Marvels or Trolls depending on what my nieces want to watch as the family thing (pushing for Trolls) so it's not a super fun box office time.

I always thought people were kind of exaggerating how much trouble it was to enjoy the "cinematic universe" aspect since there weren't all that many connections and usually they could explain them with a sentence, but now it seems more true for about half of the releases.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I always thought people were kind of exaggerating how much trouble it was to enjoy the "cinematic universe" aspect since there weren't all that many connections and usually they could explain them with a sentence, but now it seems more true for about half of the releases.

Its output of content really increased ever since Disney tried to get into the streaming game. Its basically a repeat of when it made way too much star wars stuff and everybody lost interest.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, I can't overstate how numbing it is to look at the slate of Marvel stuff I'm supposed to watch. I haven't even finished the second season of Loki when I loved the first season. It just feels like doing homework you know you can't possibly finish in time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It doesn't help that the Marvels just seem like incredibly generic knockoff superheroes out of context. Like there's no pitch for them I can see. Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Captain America, they all have concepts that are interesting in a vacuum as a pitch to someone who's never heard of them!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Other than the next spider-verse film is there any marvel movie that people actually seem excited for?

Used to hear people talk about them endless, but now fortunately no one seems to be bringing them up. Sure with the writers strike there's been a pause, but it does feel like after endgame and the last guardians films people just started feeling like it's all done, and Marvel are going to have to actually try again to get people to start caring about them again on mass like they used to.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
People seem to be excited for an X-Men movie that is equal parts hypothetical and inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

People seem to be excited for an X-Men movie that is equal parts hypothetical and inevitable.

Haven't most of the past x-men retired? I'm assuming their just going to do another reboot. I mean spider man managed to have at least three different re-boots that were all somehow popular, so I guess. :shrug: