Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Probably the biggest knock against Harris' Vice-Presidency is that there's been no evidence of effort to try and grow her standing and political capital as a future leader in the Democratic Party. That may not entirely be on her, certainly the Biden administration has given her some thankless jobs like border security which were never going to result in a happy or successful resolution. It does place a lot of risk on what happens if Biden dies or becomes incapacitated though, overnight Harris is going to have to become the face of both the party and government and if they haven't built up public confidence in her then there's a greater chance of the GOP managing to sweep in on the next election under the "Dems in Disarray" banner.

This is one of my biggest criticisms of Biden: during the 2020 election, there were all these quotes and stories from campaign staffers about how Biden would be a stable, technocratic, "don't rock the boat" president who would restore some sense of calm and stability to the White House while also raising up the next generation of Democratic candidates ahead of 2024. While he may have been the former, he sure as poo poo hasn't done the latter. Harris hardly conveys that she likes being vice president and doesn't have a public policy agenda or win that she can point to; Buttigieg seems like he's doing a decent job at his own secretariat role but he seems to be effectively marginalized in terms of being a potential national-level candidate. I've increasingly seen Biden as a self-centered egoist for seeking reelection to the highest office at 82 years old- an age when most people are talking about taking the car keys away from Dad- and he's done a drat good job of countering any opposition to him from would-be challengers. I know it's not 2016 anymore, but it still seems to me like Democratic strategists haven't learned to stop underestimating Trump when their own candidate is increasingly unpopular within his own party and has been battling low approval ratings for his entire presidency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
jake sullivan 2028

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
We're so utterly hosed. We've got an octogenarian fascist and an octogenarian putz who no one is excited about who barely does anything to help anyone and whose accomplishments amount to "is doing ok supporting Ukraine" and "is trying to balance countering China while not alienating our greatest trading partner."

We're so hosed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

But if the Democratic Party loses the presidential election in 2024 just think of how hard they can fundraise for the next four years.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nick Soapdish posted:

RIP Rosalynn Carter

James won't be far behind her surely.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is one of my biggest criticisms of Biden: during the 2020 election, there were all these quotes and stories from campaign staffers about how Biden would be a stable, technocratic, "don't rock the boat" president who would restore some sense of calm and stability to the White House while also raising up the next generation of Democratic candidates ahead of 2024. While he may have been the former, he sure as poo poo hasn't done the latter. Harris hardly conveys that she likes being vice president and doesn't have a public policy agenda or win that she can point to; Buttigieg seems like he's doing a decent job at his own secretariat role but he seems to be effectively marginalized in terms of being a potential national-level candidate. I've increasingly seen Biden as a self-centered egoist for seeking reelection to the highest office at 82 years old- an age when most people are talking about taking the car keys away from Dad- and he's done a drat good job of countering any opposition to him from would-be challengers. I know it's not 2016 anymore, but it still seems to me like Democratic strategists haven't learned to stop underestimating Trump when their own candidate is increasingly unpopular within his own party and has been battling low approval ratings for his entire presidency.

Buttigieg probably could stand to get a bit more spotlight wrt his long term prospects but doing a functional job and staying scandal free for an entire administration is a pretty big deal for someone who is clearly going for 'boring stable competent' as his political profile.

Kamala's camp has mostly been done in internally, though I'll note that the deluge of leaks about infighting largely stopped after 2021, though she still barely got a year out of the comms director she hired in the aftermath of that first 6 month period where her staff was spending half the day on the phone venting to reporters. idk if it is actually more functional now or if it just isn't leaking any more.

Newsom is currently trying his hand at being a rising dem star and lol man I can not shake the impression that he's a california dem desantis, though he at least has some charisma and is pretty good on camera in a way that desantis can only dream of. strikes me as someone more likely to be a VP, but his ambitions seem to be solidly above that.

I do wonder sometime how much dems are really hesitant about trying to anoint successors given how much of a complete failure that was with Hillary. After carpet bagging to NY and launching probably the most transparent effort ever to establish a base to springboard a presidential campaign off of (albeit the holiday parties the Clinton's held each year in NY were admittedly legendary), she spent about a decade jumping to the front of the line for various appointments. When you have a clear person lined up it discourages other good candidates from even bothering to try and the dems spent more than a decade setting up her eventual run and it not only didn't pay off it put trump in office.

Bored As gently caress posted:

We're so utterly hosed. We've got an octogenarian fascist and an octogenarian putz who no one is excited about who barely does anything to help anyone and whose accomplishments amount to "is doing ok supporting Ukraine" and "is trying to balance countering China while not alienating our greatest trading partner."

We're so hosed.

bold new US strategy: convince china's octogenarian's of the virtues of rule by octogenarians

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 19, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Probably the biggest knock against Harris' Vice-Presidency is that there's been no evidence of effort to try and grow her standing and political capital as a future leader in the Democratic Party. That may not entirely be on her, certainly the Biden administration has given her some thankless jobs like border security which were never going to result in a happy or successful resolution. It does place a lot of risk on what happens if Biden dies or becomes incapacitated though, overnight Harris is going to have to become the face of both the party and government and if they haven't built up public confidence in her then there's a greater chance of the GOP managing to sweep in on the next election under the "Dems in Disarray" banner.

Yeah, and I don’t have a lot of sympathy for Biden and his people fumbling this one when they have Biden’s own time in the Obama administration as a model. I’m not saying that it was perfect, but it’s better than what they’ve got going on now.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Buttigieg just oozes slimey politician, and feels scummy and power hungry. I don't think America would vote for an openly gay man.

Personally, I don't trust Buttigieg long enough to blink in front of him. While there is something to be said about following your childhood dream, but from what I've seem of his bio, he shouldn't be president. I don't find him trustworthy.

I don't vote for me- I'm a middle aged cis straight man who has spent my entire life loving about and never finding out. I vote for my daughter and son, who will inherit this dying republic

Wrennic_26
Jul 9, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

hella grift off the lumpenazitariat

Just couldn't let this drift off with the posts... wonderful.

Lumpy az, lumpenproletariat, no small resonance with dependapottomi. Love this place.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TheWeedNumber posted:

Oh I remember these comics. Lol

If you only read C&H as a kid, reread them. It's a whole different thing.

I put this reading recommendation on par with Command and Control.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bored As gently caress posted:

We're so hosed.

Yes, we are hosed, if people even here don't realize we have made progress on equality that hasn't been seen in decades, and the economy did way better than anywhere else in developed world.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

how will the world go on with old men in power

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

OddObserver posted:

Yes, we are hosed, if people even here don't realize we have made progress on equality that hasn't been seen in decades, and the economy did way better than anywhere else in developed world.

Hmm yea no reason to think those trends have started to reverse in the past 2-3 years as my hospital gets hit with anti trans panic bomb threats for the nth time this year

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

Yes this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Current event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrDA8in8_30

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1726354676189147489?t=qeNodErnS7O_YZZ40_Dxag&s=19

RIP to a real one. I had no idea he was still alive. I know Richard Jordan passed decades ago.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Godholio posted:

I cannot like this post hard enough

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1726354676189147489?t=qeNodErnS7O_YZZ40_Dxag&s=19

RIP to a real one. I had no idea he was still alive. I know Richard Jordan passed decades ago.

"Andrei, you've lost ANOTHER actor?"

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Oh drat, I too thought he passed ages ago. Was watching The Mighty Ducks last night, and my wife and I just traded quotes from Red October whenever he was on screen.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh drat, I too thought he passed ages ago. Was watching The Mighty Ducks last night, and my wife and I just traded quotes from Red October whenever he was on screen.

I just watched the Mighty Ducks for the first time last month (I didn't watch a lot of kids stuff growing up). I don't get the hype. I know it's a kids movie, but I don't get how it was so popular when I was a kid.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

OddObserver posted:

Oh? The economy is doing well you say?

The minimal progress on equality has led to a bunch of regressive states making themselves even more hostile to already alienated social groups, and no national republican leaders are doing great by promising to reverse all that. Progress is progress but its not wholistic systemic progress, its local gains. Those local gains need to be reinforced and expanded on as best we can and the Democratic party is certainly not at all interested in doing that so its up to local groups to pick up the slack.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

I just watched the Mighty Ducks for the first time last month (I didn't watch a lot of kids stuff growing up). I don't get the hype. I know it's a kids movie, but I don't get how it was so popular when I was a kid.

I just remember the mighty ducks being cool af. Never had a desire to rewatch it though as an adult.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This is one of my biggest criticisms of Biden: during the 2020 election, there were all these quotes and stories from campaign staffers about how Biden would be a stable, technocratic, "don't rock the boat" president who would restore some sense of calm and stability to the White House while also raising up the next generation of Democratic candidates ahead of 2024. While he may have been the former, he sure as poo poo hasn't done the latter.

this is the result of spending 8 years clearing the field for Hillary combined with an entire generation of Democrat politicians getting annihilated as the Dems lost 1000 seats across the country during Obama's presidency. the same people are in charge and they have no desire to run or fund candidates down ballot that aren't test tube center-right clones and have confused "good at fundraising" with "can win". none of them care as long as they can spend $25 million on deep blue TV buys that will assure them a cushy job with a media firm when they tire of the consultant rat race.

oh yeah the Democrats stalwart ally AIPAC is going to do everything possible to get Republicans elected.

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

You had to be there bro.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

You had to be there bro.

I graduated in 2018, my college’s hockey team would roll through campus on rollerblades with duck calls and whistles in a Flying V to announce their hockey games :unsmith:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I grew up in an area where hockey is extremely popular, and my parents are Canadian so it was a hit in our household for obvious reasons.

Beyond that? Unless you have any kind of nostalgia for it, it isn't a must watch or anything. It's a bog standard kids sports movie.

Though my wife did buy me a pretty sweet Ducks/Conway sweater that I wear to hockey games if my team isn't in town, and I constantly get compliments for it.

FrozenVent posted:

You had to be there bro.

Yeah pretty much this.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Mighty Ducks cartoon, in which anthropomorphic ducks who played hockey during the day were masked crime fighters at night was better than the Mighty Ducks movie. :colbert: Don't @ me.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Arrath posted:

The Mighty Ducks cartoon, in which anthropomorphic ducks who played hockey during the day were masked crime fighters at night was better than the Mighty Ducks movie. :colbert: Don't @ me.

Agreed tho.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Arrath posted:

What the poo poo this is real?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

FrozenVent posted:

What the poo poo this is real?

The 90s man, the 90s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Ducks:_The_Animated_Series

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Arrath posted:

I will @ you to tell you that you are correct.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

never change, wikipedia.

quote:

Unlike the films and the hockey teams, the show was about a team of anthropomorphic hockey-playing ducks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Didn't they have blasters that shot, like, energy pucks or something?

FrozenVent posted:

You had to be there bro.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

shame on an IGA posted:

never change, wikipedia.

TBF, this confused the gently caress outta me as a kid.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That Works posted:

Upside is you get the have the legit joy of reading Calvin and Hobbes

It’s was interesting growing up ordering the new C&H books from the book fair each year, and one collection had author notes explaining his licensing fight with his syndicate & how much he refused to have crappy merchandise just for money, and decades later he’s stuck with it even though any minute he could pick up the phone with Disney & probably pocket nine figures.

In one of the great NHL Sega Genesis games you could make players so my five guys on the Ducks were named after the cartoon, except I couldn’t figure out how to make a goalie so I’d trade for the Chicago Blackhawks elite guy. So my powerhouse team consisted of Wildwing Flashblade, Mallory McMallard, and Ed Belfour.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Didn't they have blasters that shot, like, energy pucks or something?

Straight up, it was wild.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Arrath posted:

Straight up, it was wild.

No, that's Minnesota.

vvv :mad:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 20, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ZombieApostate posted:

No, that's Minnesota.

No, that was North Stars.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s was interesting growing up ordering the new C&H books from the book fair each year, and one collection had author notes explaining his licensing fight with his syndicate & how much he refused to have crappy merchandise just for money, and decades later he’s stuck with it even though any minute he could pick up the phone with Disney & probably pocket nine figures.

Hah, I had this same collection. Watterson really is too good for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hah, I had this same collection. Watterson really is too good for us.

Oh yeah was bummed when he retired but in retrospect gotta respect him for going out on top rather than accepting inferior output, amazing respect for his audience. Also glad he quietly lives his life popping up here and there but feels no need to embarrass himself by getting addicted to social media & trying to have hot takes on everything like Stephen King.