Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I've always been a big fan of the Scuttle Seacocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is on the official Ansar Allah youtube account.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGQ-nmDSgs

the flatbed float with the giant koran, putting the patrol boats up on trailers so the naval vessels can participate in the parade...

ansarallah is the full package. theater kid theatricality but they absolutely back it up with mountain folk tenacity and will throw haymakers that connect.

critical support for everything they are doing for the palestinian people, plus their whole aesthetic

zetamind2000 posted:

iraq had a guy with a radiation gun and a deployable radiation generator while libya had a nuclear bomb truck and cuba had suicide bombers, it was an intensely based game for its era

lol

it would be fun to do a non-reactionary patch. for a start i'd give cuba like some kind of special super-medic unit

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 03:16 on Nov 20, 2023

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

true, but he had been back channeling with the UAE for months, which the Houthis knew about, which is why they were ready to storm his house within 48 hours of him officially flipping. just a really stellar job all around.

ansar allah is ftw

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Speaking of ballistic vs hypersonics, how truthful is the claim that Israel intercepted a Houthi ballistic missile a few weeks back? I had thought that missile defense systems struggled to intercept ballistic missiles even in the tamest controlled testing so all the supposed capability was more theoretical. If they can keep making ballistic missiles I assume it wouldn't be hard to saturate whatever defenses the IDF does have though.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
As dumb as C&C Generals was it did accurately predict China completely eating America's lunch in every respect.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Seyser Koze posted:

As dumb as C&C Generals was it did accurately predict China completely eating America's lunch in every respect.

China will grow larger.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Seyser Koze posted:

also the us loser fuckface nerding multiple times against every insurgency group

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

FlapYoJacks posted:

China will grow larger.

Forever rings in my heart, many such days of generals and frankly I should have learned back then that the CCP was the truth.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/take_japper/status/1726388237822828617

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

of course it is lmao

It's an original variation of Hell March too, afaik. Ansar Allah goes hard on everything.

* slight correction on myself: Aldanimarki isn't the "official" Ansar Allah youtube account, they just have a special arrangement where Ansar Allah gives them material to publish since an official AA account would get blasted immediately.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Nov 20, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Seyser Koze posted:

it also correctly predicted that the way to overwhelm tanks with anti-missile defenses was to just shoot lots of missiles faster than the anti-missile laser could shoot them down

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gonna need to see the receipts on this so I know the OP isn't just confusing Naomi Klein with Naomi Wolf.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

heads up Hirbawi got some kufiyas to the US. They'd been out of stock for a bit. I have been waiting to get one to wear on campus to show solidarity that wasn't made in a sweatshop in who knows where.

https://hirbawiusa.com/

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

it also correctly predicted that the way to overwhelm tanks with anti-missile defenses was to just shoot lots of missiles faster than the anti-missile laser could shoot them down

also that the way to take out apaches was to let them all blob up in a single 4th-dimensional spot, at which point a single turret's worth of missiles would take out the entire stack at once

(I'm still mad about this)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If the Naomi be Klein
She’s also bad on Palestine

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Seyser Koze posted:

also that the way to take out apaches was to let them all blob up in a single 4th-dimensional spot, at which point a single turret's worth of missiles would take out the entire stack at once

quad cannon too OP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Gonna need to see the receipts on this so I know the OP isn't just confusing Naomi Klein with Naomi Wolf.

October 12:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This isn't nearly as bad as the OP was implying, but both sidesing the problem is still shameful "but the optics" behavior. Handwringing over what the normies will think about revolutionary anti-colonial struggle.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Palladium posted:

quad cannon too OP

technical with a grenade launcher might have been the most op anti-infantry unit in the entire series

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This isn't nearly as bad as the OP was implying, but both sidesing the problem is still shameful "but the optics" behavior. Handwringing over what the normies will think about revolutionary anti-colonial struggle.

Just wait a generation and they'll start pretending they did it themselves by peacefully protesting. Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission, especially from people who don't realise that things can exist when not seen, and don't understand causes have effects

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Seyser Koze posted:

CnC: Generals didn't have Apaches it had Comanche helicopters. This was a stealth attack helicopter being developed in real life to replace the Apache until the program was eventually cancelled. The Comanche program started in 1996, CnC:Generals came out in 2003, the Comanche was canceled in 2004, and Generals: Zero Hour came out in 2005.

It's very likely that the stealth technology developed for the Comanche was later adapted for use on the Blackhawk helicopter that crashed during the Bin Laden raid.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

BearsBearsBears posted:

CnC: Generals didn't have Apaches it had Comanche helicopters. This was a stealth attack helicopter being developed in real life to replace the Apache until the program was eventually cancelled. The Comanche program started in 1996, CnC:Generals came out in 2003, the Comanche was canceled in 2004, and Generals: Zero Hour came out in 2005.

It's very likely that the stealth technology developed for the Comanche was later adapted for use on the Blackhawk helicopter that crashed during the Bin Laden raid.

:shrug:

I haven't played the game since 2003 in college, I'll take your word for it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Speaking of ballistic vs hypersonics, how truthful is the claim that Israel intercepted a Houthi ballistic missile a few weeks back? I had thought that missile defense systems struggled to intercept ballistic missiles even in the tamest controlled testing so all the supposed capability was more theoretical. If they can keep making ballistic missiles I assume it wouldn't be hard to saturate whatever defenses the IDF does have though.

Intercepting a single 'dumb' ballistic missile is achievable and believable and what stuff like the Arrow system is designed to do. Interceptors are often launched in volleys to ensure at least one hit. Things rapidly spiral out of hand when you remove early warning, when the target itself is maneuvering or launching decoys, or when multiple inbounds force you to prioritize but for just a single missile I'd be more surprised if they didn't hit it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Palestine will grow larger.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BearsBearsBears posted:

stop naming the implements of imperial genocide after it's original victims as a weird form of trophy taking challenge 2k23 (impossible)

FlapYoJacks posted:

Palestine will grow larger.

as has been said: 2 state solution, palestine, and then a second additional palestine

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/dril/status/1726379147944149311

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Owlbear Camus posted:

stop naming the implements of imperial genocide after it's original victims as a weird form of trophy taking challenge 2k23 (impossible)

I like how people made excuses for this by bringing up that members of those tribes had approved and gave their blessing missiles to be called tomahawks and poo poo

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

BearsBearsBears posted:

it’s kinda funny that there’s a bunch of technologies that irl are exclusively used by America but became china specific techs in game bc they were too evil for a “good” faction to use, like white phosphorus and depleted uranium

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
We should give every member of Hamas a gundam.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Someone on twitter was nice enough to translate this for non Arab folk.

This is from from the 2014 attack Nahal Oz. So almost 10 years ago, can’t help but think how much more advanced they’ve gotten.

DTI

https://x.com/meowsandry/status/1726366416159301986?s=46

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

everyone else seems to be using mobile crematoria but maybe there's a reason they don't

I think orthodox jews aren't supposed to be cremated.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

why does this happen anyway? is it just a dumb decision made without really thinking or is there an ulterior motive to using those names?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Willa Rogers posted:

I think orthodox jews aren't supposed to be cremated.

That's literally where the Holocaust got its name: because (half of) the bodies were burned, and cremation is extremely bad in Judaism. Even left-liberal Reform Jews don't do cremation.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Best Friends posted:

If the Naomi be Klein
She’s also bad on Palestine

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is on the official Ansar Allah youtube account.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGQ-nmDSgs

i 1000% bet a millenial burst into the meeting room with the houthis going "theres this awesome game i played in an internet cafe in jeddah in 2002 you guys lets use that"

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

CODChimera posted:

why does this happen anyway? is it just a dumb decision made without really thinking or is there an ulterior motive to using those names?

Just a stupid name. Fascists typically have a fetishistic obsession with the "pure, savage warriors" trope. The "savages" of choice are germanic tribes / vikings for europeans, native americans for colonial americans.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CODChimera posted:

i think it's just that, with little other thought, native american warriors and their weapons became 'cool' with tough guys

like they respected them as warriors but didn't think about any of the genocide stuff

surface level thinking like this is probably why there is a lib to fash pipeline

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Seyser Koze posted:

:shrug:

I haven't played the game since 2003 in college, I'll take your word for it.

I'm just talking about CnC: Generals, it's just a fascinating time capsule of the era that the helicopter that the game used was cancelled in between the game's release and its expansion. And speaking of the events of 2004.

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it’s kinda funny that there’s a bunch of technologies that irl are exclusively used by America but became china specific techs in game bc they were too evil for a “good” faction to use, like white phosphorus and depleted uranium

In pre-expansion Generals, the US had a "Detention Camp" building. It had an "Intelligence" ability that revealed all units on the map. Presumably you gained this intel by interrogating the detainees. In 2004 the US torture center at Abu Ghraib was revealed to the world. The expansion removed the Detention Camp building and put the Intelligence ability on the Strategy Center instead.

I imagine if Generals 2 came out today they would give the Torture Camp building to the Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Onto the next hospital

Ik edit: adding spoiler and content warning for patients being treated for serious injuries in a bombed out hospital in horrible conditions

https://x.com/shaykhsulaiman/status/1726435448002674808?s=46

Somebody has issued a correction as of 04:31 on Nov 20, 2023