Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Das Boo posted:

This legit has always kept me out of the major Western comics. It's the Kingdom Hearts problem +60 years.

Same. There are standouts that avoid the bulk of this issue(Starman, most of the early 2000's JSA run, Astro City)* and stuff from publishers outside of the big two like Dark Horse, Image, and Boom.

* There is a bit of stuff requiring reading comics outside of these, for added context, but it's all largely self-contained(entirely so with Astro City).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

This legit has always kept me out of the major Western comics. It's the Kingdom Hearts problem +60 years.

It's honestly not as hard to get into as you might think. My gateway drug was (as I'm sure a lot of people's was) the old DCAU from the 90s/00s and reading a few wikipedia entries. After that you can jump in and sure sometimes characters will reference poo poo you've never heard of from 40 years ago but in today's age you can either look that up or honestly just ride the wave and it'll make sense in context.

Then you start posting regularly in BSS and wake up one morning and look in the mirror and... oh no, end me please

Then again I say all that and yet I refuse to read/watch One Piece despite so many anime/manga fans hyping it up because it's so goddamn long, so I'm a huge hypocrite.

This looks great... for a different movie altogether. I'm guessing this was back when the script was still in very early stages.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Its funny that with two tv series, Invincible and The Boys, Amazon is now producing the only superhero content I really care about. Because they're both character led dramas with a strong hook that is very easy to follow because the story happens in one linear series (although the Boys recently introduced a bit of comic book universe expanded with Gen V.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TwoPair posted:

Then again I say all that and yet I refuse to read/watch One Piece despite so many anime/manga fans hyping it up because it's so goddamn long, so I'm a huge hypocrite.
one piece is exactly the sort of long-running manga that you get so into that you catch up and are like "WHERE IS MORE, I NEED MORE"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TwoPair posted:

This looks great... for a different movie altogether. I'm guessing this was back when the script was still in very early stages.

Yeah, Frozen went through a whole bunch of different phases and versions, they didn't really figure out what it was for a long time until they hit on making them sisters and Elsa a protagonist and pretty much dropped the idea of adapting The Snow Queen at all in favour of a novel story. That came pretty late into the development cycle. They wrote the first version of Let It Go and realised it worked better as a protagonist song and turned the whole thing around.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Another thing about Marvel, and also Star Wars and pretty much all tentpole movies, is you can really see the fingerprints of post-production meddling and reshoots and re-edits all over them. I'm not one to be a stickler for "the director's original vision", sometimes meddling actually makes the movie better, but these days it's transparently obvious that they shoot tons of crap with no idea how it'll be edited together because they have no idea what will be cut out for certain markets and what will be changed to fit the plan for the Cinematic Universe and all that. Even movies that are pretty stand-alone (I agree that it's overstated just how much you need to care about other movies & TV shows to understand any of them alone, they've actually done a pretty good job avoiding that) feel more like TV shows because you don't feel that unified vision for the story, logically progressing from the beginning to the end. It's like the director and the actors can't really know where in the movie any given scene is happening. Much like how on a 90s TV show, an episode might be airing out of production order so they have to make sure they don't situate things before or after the events of another episode.

And that's just within one movie, but also I think the mere potential for everything to interconnect is keeping the MCU, specifically, too restricted. They can't do anything too earth-shattering in any given movie, because it might accidentally mess with something a different creator wants to do in another one of the ten movies or shows that might be coming out this year. It's really just too big for its own good at this point. Paradoxically, they simultaneously feel too connected and also like they're trying really hard not to accidentally cross over.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I mean they had the earth birth a giant stone eternal and left it sticking out of the ocean then had another eternal visit earth and part the clouds and yell at everyone on earth and that seems like it would be pretty earth-shattering even in a universe used to a ton of weird stuff but it has gone unremarked upon so far (unless they're pulling a fast and furious and it's gonna be another decade before the movies "catch up" to the events of Eternals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMmEGXq2NA

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Assepoester posted:

I mean they had the earth birth a giant stone eternal and left it sticking out of the ocean then had another eternal visit earth and part the clouds and yell at everyone on earth and that seems like it would be pretty earth-shattering even in a universe used to a ton of weird stuff but it has gone unremarked upon so far (unless they're pulling a fast and furious and it's gonna be another decade before the movies "catch up" to the events of Eternals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMmEGXq2NA

They also had half the earth vanish and come back years later and only like one or two movies or tv shows even bothered to scratch that surface.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

TwoPair posted:

I tried to watch One Piece a few times and kept bouncing off of it hard. Then I watched the live action Netflix adaptation and it absolutely rocks. It fixed pretty much every problem I had with the anime, looks great, and has a fantastic soundtrack.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TwoPair posted:

It's honestly not as hard to get into as you might think. My gateway drug was (as I'm sure a lot of people's was) the old DCAU from the 90s/00s and reading a few wikipedia entries. After that you can jump in and sure sometimes characters will reference poo poo you've never heard of from 40 years ago but in today's age you can either look that up or honestly just ride the wave and it'll make sense in context.

Then you start posting regularly in BSS and wake up one morning and look in the mirror and... oh no, end me please

One part of the reason that Disney/Marvel stuff has gone sideways is whatever c-suite dysfunction is going on at Disney where they can't make one of these things for less than $200M. There has to be a way to cut costs and boost profitability, while also increasing quality. God knows the stuff looks shoddy as it is. And they need to find someone to carry the franchise. Boseman dying hosed up some plans to be sure, but they need to figure out who is going to be the next RDJ and get that person in the door ASAP. Either back up a dump truck full of gold krugerrands to RDJ's house or introduce Miles Morales into the MCU or cast Radcliffe as Reed Richards or something.

The other part is, they forgot old man Lee's number one rule "every comic is somebody's first". Which means that the story has to be accessible to someone who has no previous reference to any of the material AND it has to be high enough quality to keep them coming back for enough issues to finish out whatever arc is happening at the moment. The caveat is, with comic book buyers you have something of a self-convinced audience - it is rare that someone will just buy one comic book on a lark these days. Generally buying that first funny book is a down payment on sinking a bunch of money into future installments, albeit in erratic intervals.

With the MCU stuff, Disney has convinced themselves that the stories (or potential stories) and easter eggs and fan service moments are just so irresistible that the movies themselves can be average or even boring and people will keep coming back. Meanwhile the TV shows are the epitome of "content" designed to burn time in between movies with nothing memorable or significant about them. The reason the early movies even had a chance is because they were mostly good as movies rather than tie-ins. You could catch any of the Iron Man movies, Captain America 1 or 2, Thor, The Avengers, GotG, etc on TV at random and be entertained. Certainly some stinkers in there - Thor 2, IM 2, Avengers 2, etc - but not enough to slow down the momentum.

They need to get back to making movies that are good enough to stand on their own, and recalibrate the TV shows to bolster the movies rather than being homework. Ironically they are heading right for the same sort of turbo nerd malaise that comic books were mired in for decades - people can't even engage with the stories because there are simply too many things to keep up with.

As far as the muddled phase 4 storyline, there's a simple solution to that one that ties everything together with minimal retconning - Wong is a Skrull and has been messing stuff up behind the scenes since the Blip. Ignore everything that happened in Secret Invasion.

Eternals - the monsters are proto-skrulls and the Eternals are androids that can't be mimicked
Shang-chi - Katy is a Skrull
Thor - Valkyrie is a Skrull
Black Widow - Valentina is a Skrull
Black Panther - T'Challa Jr is a Skrull
Ant-man/Loki - all of the Kangs are Skrulls, playing a big con game of misdirection. They all get murked somehow and boom, real Kang (not played by Jonathan Majors) shows up.
TV shows - IDK, roll the dice and make half of them Skrulls.

Let that run the course over phase 5 and 6, then hit the big reset button and start phase 7 with an X-men movie. Easy money.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I don't think skrulls all the way down is going to solve it

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The director of Kang Dynasty, the next Avengers films, has left the project. And there's rumors the writer who was also behind Quantumania will be the next to go. So they might just write out Kang and find someone new to be the bad guy. Maybe they can somehow find a way to fit Magneto or someone people already know to fit that part to drive buzz.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
why are all of the live action remakes lit as though we the viewers have sunglasses screwed onto our heads. what's the logic there

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

why are all of the live action remakes lit as though we the viewers have sunglasses screwed onto our heads. what's the logic there

I had this thought about the live action The Last Airbender (both of them). I know you want to avoid the Party City effect with costuming, but...are colors unrealistic? Why are we returning to the aestheics of a Xbox 360 shooter.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
DC has jumped on the everything-everywhere-must-be-connected train so hard that they handed my friend a list of properties he could pitch for and 4/4 so far have come back with "Oh wait, so-and-so might be using that character so now you can't."

This poo poo is dumb and they've caused a loving greenlight freeze.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Phylodox posted:

I tried to watch One Piece a few times and kept bouncing off of it hard. Then I watched the live action Netflix adaptation and it absolutely rocks. It fixed pretty much every problem I had with the anime, looks great, and has a fantastic soundtrack.
pretty much every long-time one piece fan is just going to tell you to read the manga and skip the anime. the manga has almost no filler in it. there's basically no arcs that I would consider nonessential, and I will fight anyone who says the Davy Back Fight is nonessential

the Shonen Jump app is like 2 or 3 bucks a month and lets you read 100 chapters a day of anything in their catalog, including the entirety of One Piece. definitely one of the best subscription services I have, and I highly recommend it if you want to give One Piece a shot. Start around chapter 95ish, that's where the live-action ends iirc.

there's only two arcs I have any serious problems with, and they are more recent ones and both are still overall good, so you've got dozens of volumes before you hit the first speed bump.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Mat Cauthon posted:

As far as the muddled phase 4 storyline, there's a simple solution to that one that ties everything together with minimal retconning - Wong is a Skrull and has been messing stuff up behind the scenes since the Blip. Ignore everything that happened in Secret Invasion.

proto-skrulls Skrull Skrull Skrull Skrull Skrulls Skrulls.
yeah secret invasion sucked but your idea is also not good

how about, no skrulls anywhere anymore, ever

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The solution to Marvels problems is to introduce Doop the X-force member who at the start of every movie will recap the events that all lead to this moment.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Have Scarlet Witch come on, say No More Continuity and now every movie is standalone. You don't have to say "well why didn't Iron Man help out?" because he ain't here. NYC gets exploded at the end of the Hulk, it's didn't happen in Fantastic Four, so it's fine there.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Always thought it was a missed opportunity for them to do a inverse of the "no more mutants" thing Scarlet witch did in House of M. Her to be the reason why mutants and similarly the X-Men start showing up in the MCU would be funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pixeltendo posted:

Always thought it was a missed opportunity for them to do a inverse of the "no more mutants" thing Scarlet witch did in House of M. Her to be the reason why mutants and similarly the X-Men start showing up in the MCU would be funny.

No, More Mutants!

We were making that joke forever, yeah. Apparently Disney doesn't wanna go full hog on mutants til 2025 to wait out the Fox casting contracts to expire (and y'know what, fair enough when making a long term commitment to want to be able to switch up the cast) but they seem to have panicked on that.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The two movies that set up future of the MCU, The Marvels and Quantumania, did badly. Of course they panic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm still amazed to learn Quantumania actually had a writer. Imagine banking the future of the franchise on that turd.

That and Thor 4 were the first times I felt legitimate contempt for the audience from MCU movies. Just completely no-effort hack jobs. They also totally wasted the potential to actually do something interesting and different character-wise by having Thor join the Guardians for more than 5 minutes. But considering GOTG3 was basically perfect, it's probably for the best.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

mycot posted:

I had this thought about the live action The Last Airbender (both of them). I know you want to avoid the Party City effect with costuming, but...are colors unrealistic? Why are we returning to the aestheics of a Xbox 360 shooter.

I like having the bright colors and but what OP avoid that so many LA Anime adaptations fall into is they actually had the actors either dye their hair (Zolo) or actually shell out for decent quality wigs.

And actually have the background characters look colorful, as I noticed way too often other live action adaptations/promos make the "Spot the main character" syndrome even worse.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

TwoPair posted:

Phylodox posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

pretty much every long-time one piece fan is just going to tell you to read the manga and skip the anime. the manga has almost no filler in it. there's basically no arcs that I would consider nonessential, and I will fight anyone who says the Davy Back Fight is nonessential

the Shonen Jump app is like 2 or 3 bucks a month and lets you read 100 chapters a day of anything in their catalog, including the entirety of One Piece. definitely one of the best subscription services I have, and I highly recommend it if you want to give One Piece a shot. Start around chapter 95ish, that's where the live-action ends iirc.

there's only two arcs I have any serious problems with, and they are more recent ones and both are still overall good, so you've got dozens of volumes before you hit the first speed bump.

Probably makes me a philistine, but I decided to take on watching the One Piece anime from scratch, and I'm finding watching it at 1.5x speed on Netflix to be my ideal method of chewing through the insane backlog while still getting to enjoy the journey.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

One Piece is not my jam but I did quite enjoy the movie Mamoru Hosoda directed, I think its the 6th One Piece movie. Looks different from everything else in the franchise, has more creative/quirky direction, and quite a weighty finale as he was working out his issues with leaving studio ghibli and his interpersonal issues with Miyazaki.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
yeah the hosoda one piece movie is far more hosoda than one piece, but both fanbases can enjoy it and it rules even more if you like both aspects

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thinking about it now, we're near the end of the year. aside from Across the Spiderverse which is the general consensus animated film of the year, what's everyone's alternate #1?

I feel like last year was a bit stronger, with Turning Red, Suzume, The Sea Beast, Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, One Piece Red, The House, GDT's Pinocchio, and The Bad Guys.

This year had Nimona, The Boy and the Heron, Chicken Run 2, Elemental, Ruby Gillman, Super Mario Bros, TMNT Mutant Mayhem, The Magician's Elephant, Trolls Band Together, The Venture Bros film, and now Wish.

My choice would be Nimona solely because I haven't seen Boy & the Heron yet and despite some overly quippy spots (ie "now's the part where you run"), I think the Nimona adaptation was handled really well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I guess Nimona but theatrical animation was so totally outclassed by episodic productions this year that I don't feel too strongly about any of the feature length releases, aside from Spiderverse. Like we're in a year with Scavengers Reign, Fionna and Cake, Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, Blue Eyed Samurai, and to a lesser extent Castlevania: Nocturne. So many great shows.

Still excited to see Boy and the Heron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I thought Nimona was really mid. The bones of a good story weighed down horribly by Kid's Movie Cruft.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DoctorWhat posted:

I thought Nimona was really mid. The bones of a good story weighed down horribly by Kid's Movie Cruft.

I came into Nimona not being too familiar with the original comic, and while I really liked the movie I remember thinking that it would have been much better if it were maybe 5% meaner. The original designs for the characters were a much of a better fit for the story it was telling.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'd be very surprised if The Boy and the Heron isn't my top film of the year.

The Venture Bro's film was a good wrap up of the series, even if you could tell some stuff was a bit compressed.

I'm definitely interested in Chicken Run 2, but Aardman's movies have been pretty hit and miss for me.

I haven't really been interested in much of this year's stuff. I still need to watch Mario Bros, and spiderverse at some point.

quote:

I guess Nimona but theatrical animation was so totally outclassed by episodic productions this year that I don't feel too strongly about any of the feature length releases, aside from Spiderverse. Like we're in a year with Scavengers Reign, Fionna and Cake, Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, Blue Eyed Samurai, and to a lesser extent Castlevania: Nocturne. So many great shows.
Pantheon is one of my all time favorite sci-fi shows, but nobody has watched it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Klungar posted:

Probably makes me a philistine, but I decided to take on watching the One Piece anime from scratch, and I'm finding watching it at 1.5x speed on Netflix to be my ideal method of chewing through the insane backlog while still getting to enjoy the journey.

It's bad enough fans made a "One Pace" cut that cuts a lot of cruft.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

It's bad enough fans made a "One Pace" cut that cuts a lot of cruft.

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1z6umwBs5I

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Nimona but yeah also Pluto. Both incredibly good.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I would like to nominate the new Netflix Scott Pilgrim as my alternate #1 movie of the year, it's just a very long movie sliced up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

lmao indeed

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Pantheon is one of my all time favorite sci-fi shows, but nobody has watched it.

Oh right Pantheon is the last of the adult animation series this year I haven't yet watched. Maybe tonight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Until I see The Boy and the Heron, my 1 and 2 this year are ATSV and TMNT Mutant Mayhem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I haven't seen Trolls 3 yet but I'd probably pick that because I love those movies so much, the third one would have to be particularly heinous for me to not enjoy it.

Alternatively probably Nimona