Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

fun hater posted:

turn history off lol

this is what i do too

the only downside being that i have to actually remember where i left a video off at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Holy hell that was an amazing video. The amount of work that must have gone into it is insane. I started watching it on my phone but swapped over to my home theater system after 10 minutes and that was absolutely the right call. I think this just might be my favorite YouTube video of all time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Arc Hammer posted:

For the record the video I put up about Chef James is more in line with those "professionals react" videos where industry people break down the finer details of the videos they're watching. It's not the same thing as the "WOW DUDE PRIDE ROCK" braindead react videos.

the only good one of these is the one where James refines Adam Ragusea’s “pocket paella”, other than that they’re all skips

and I like chef James

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Famethrowa posted:

they're Bri*ish

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I think Kevin is starting to slip into hagiography.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

I think Kevin is starting to slip into hagiography.
The part where dejected Disney puppet, rejected by world governments, is saved by businesses INDUSTRY definitely gives that vibe

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think I would have rather just had Perjurer narrate the thing, personally.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alacron posted:

I think I would have rather just had Perjurer narrate the thing, personally.

I've just never been able to trust that he's being truthful. He's always seemed very much a liar to me, so I'm glad for the change.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

I've just never been able to trust that he's being truthful. He's always seemed very much a liar to me, so I'm glad for the change.

Let’s just say I don’t trust him to swear on a bible for some reason

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ok Comboomer posted:

and I like chef James

He's no Chef Excellence.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Perjurer’s not at all a chud, not remotely, but it always bugged me whenever he’d get somebody on his podcast with like a nakedly chuddy or just stupid and ill-informed take on something and never push back.

Like one time he had this old-timer on and the dude kept going off about how they “ruined Pirates of the Caribbean” by making it “soft” and “people today want to ignore history” (ie Disney removed a scene from the ride where a bunch of captured women are being auctioned/bought into slavery by the titular pirates) and “history wasn’t nice, you know”.

And i just remember thinking “there’s nothing historically accurate about this ride and there has never been, what the gently caress is this idiot geezer talking about” and Kevin’s just like “ohhh, very interesting. Tell me more about how you used to operate the ride between 1985 and 1987…”

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SexyBlindfold posted:

here's another react video: some nerd reacts to rocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghMyjXPWUbs

Great start to what's probably gonna be a great series.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I really like Defunctland and love when Kevin takes risks. It reminds me of the Disney Channel video where he monologues about "YouTuber" vs "Artist" and the disposable industry. The animation and music and the companion book showed he had so much effort and wanted something very ambitious this time around.

But, I barely was able to get the "story" he was trying to illustrate, other than Walt Dies, Disney Execs fumble and it goes from a World Expo to a Corporate Sales Pitch. But it stopping at the launch, instead of continuing into the void into Ellen's Energy and then taking it out for Guardians and the inclusion of Tron so it's all completely off even that message these days.

I liked the music and animation, though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://thethoughtemporium.ca/products/mummy-assembly-instructions-poster-pre-order

gently caress yeah they’re doing a second run

I meant to order these and then got sad when I remembered it was already the 19th

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

And i just remember thinking “there’s nothing historically accurate about this ride and there has never been, what the gently caress is this idiot geezer talking about” and Kevin’s just like “ohhh, very interesting. Tell me more about how you used to operate the ride between 1985 and 1987…”

That happened a bunch when people were trying to restore Animalympics: You had this guy (who passed away a couple years ago) that was around the production and managed to secure the reels from a flooded studio, but when you'd ask him about anything else he would just do poo poo like bemoan seeing black people on WW2 productions bc "they were too lazy to fight for us".

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
should have changed it so they were auctioning off men as well. equality

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The only mock thread I remember being 'good' was that Boyko or Bokyo or whatever his name was made a thread in LF re. Funding for the Democratic Party, iirc, and that was because the poo poo touched SA as opposed to the other way around.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I really like Defunctland and love when Kevin takes risks. It reminds me of the Disney Channel video where he monologues about "YouTuber" vs "Artist" and the disposable industry. The animation and music and the companion book showed he had so much effort and wanted something very ambitious this time around.

But, I barely was able to get the "story" he was trying to illustrate, other than Walt Dies, Disney Execs fumble and it goes from a World Expo to a Corporate Sales Pitch. But it stopping at the launch, instead of continuing into the void into Ellen's Energy and then taking it out for Guardians and the inclusion of Tron so it's all completely off even that message these days.

I like 70s things, so I enjoyed the music and sets/costumes, but I much prefer hearing the guy drolly reading out a script. I can appreciate the ambition of what he’s doing here though, and that he got it just how he wants it. It reminds me of the Kyle Kallgren video that’s the entire story of Star Wars but with clips from movies that inspired things in Star Wars.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I like city-symphonies, which this seemed to draw from, but I really don’t care about Epcot like that. I’m sure the Disney adults will appreciate it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
When I go to Disneyland I want to be reminded of horrific human rights abuses.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only time I care about theme parks is either when it’s a video about something hosed up like epcot originally being Walt’s idea for a human zoo or when Jenny Nicholson is experiencing joy that may or may be ironic while filming in a ride queue with her phone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Do not question Jenny's love for the People Mover

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I AM GRANDO posted:

The only time I care about theme parks is either when it’s a video about something hosed up like epcot originally being Walt’s idea for a human zoo or when Jenny Nicholson is experiencing joy that may or may be ironic while filming in a ride queue with her phone.

I find the development and design process much more interesting than actually going on a ride. Although even that seems like it might get pretty boring since it seems the industry might be trying to transition to apps and 2d screens and away from stuff like animatronics.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I mean there isn’t much to the story
-Walt has ambitious plans to be a micro-dictator of a small Disney community
-Walt loving dies
-Disney World opens, is a smash hit
-Roy loving dies
-Execs have no clue as how to make epcot, as both Disney brothers are dead and the idea is dystopian garbage anyways
-Disney already made epcot plans public, so begins several walkbacks
-walkbacks fails, so eventually epcot is basically another theme park but sponsored by a shitload of businesses
-epcot opens after a shitload of money and time poured into in, culminating in what is basically the worst park at Disney World

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mycot posted:

Do not question Jenny's love for the People Mover

people movers are fuckin awesome

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I have no idea if Epcot would have even been legal given Walt planned to only have working age people in some of the homes. I can't remember if his idea was to rent all the homes out and just evict people when they hit retirement or something equally awful.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

I mean there isn’t much to the story
-Walt has ambitious plans to be a micro-dictator of a small Disney community
-Walt loving dies
-Disney World opens, is a smash hit
-Roy loving dies
-Execs have no clue as how to make epcot, as both Disney brothers are dead and the idea is dystopian garbage anyways
-Disney already made epcot plans public, so begins several walkbacks
-walkbacks fails, so eventually epcot is basically another theme park but sponsored by a shitload of businesses
-epcot opens after a shitload of money and time poured into in, culminating in what is basically the worst park at Disney World

"Sponsered by a shitload of businesses" is basically the default for Disney. New things tend to be sponsered, though after the first ten year contract is up they can just go without.

For a long time Hollywood Studios was the worst park, and they had to open two new lands and make the "theme" of the part completely incohrent before it finally crawled to the number three spot.

Though EPCOT is at least interesting as whenever they have big plans for the park they get hosed by circumstance - they cancled a lot of stuff due to the pandemic, and before thaf it was muliple expansions being canned by recessions.

EDIT: Disney *did* end up building a master planed community in Flordia - Celebration - but it's fine. There's also Val d'Europe in France near Disneyland Paris which is the same sort of thing.

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 20, 2023

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I mean, Walt had clout and most importantly money, so who knows what dystopian laws he would have lobbied for to make his pseudo-country a reality.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can appreciate that EPCOT video as well made but it sure did a whole lot of nothing for me. Around halfway through it seemed to be acting like them having these issues was some tragedy and not just a business making a bunch of promises it had no idea how to actually meet without the two Disneys. Really felt more of a Disney PR video than his other videos, especially since he has specifically shown things like Walt strike breaking previously. Felt weird to see/hear quotes from Walt presented as aspirational and hopeful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr E posted:

I can appreciate that EPCOT video as well made but it sure did a whole lot of nothing for me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mr E posted:

I can appreciate that EPCOT video as well made but it sure did a whole lot of nothing for me. Around halfway through it seemed to be acting like them having these issues was some tragedy and not just a business making a bunch of promises it had no idea how to actually meet without the two Disneys. Really felt more of a Disney PR video than his other videos, especially since he has specifically shown things like Walt strike breaking previously. Felt weird to see/hear quotes from Walt presented as aspirational and hopeful.
Yeah the other Disney deep dives usually have a bit of a snarky attitude towards Walt, Eisner, and other corporate suits.

This one I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it was sponsored by Disney.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
C’mon H-Bomb, post the video!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Strange Aeons does another Tumblr iceberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLV8zx3GYnI

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Grassy Knowles posted:

I’m sure the Disney adults will appreciate it.

This is the most brutal critique anyone has ever given to a video posted in this thread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Perjurer’s not at all a chud, not remotely, but it always bugged me whenever he’d get somebody on his podcast with like a nakedly chuddy or just stupid and ill-informed take on something and never push back.

I'm pretty sure they're both just joking about Kevin Perjurer's last name.

As far as the video goes, it's interesting but yeah I prefer more active narration over a symphonic experience. Maybe he felt like he had to spice it up more because the downfall of EPCOT is a pretty well-documented topic, but I think I prefer the narrative style through line as far as fitting it in with the earlier videos covering the major periods of Disney under Walt with the animation strike, his dystopian god-king vision of EPCOT, and then his passing.

Fil5000 posted:

I have no idea if Epcot would have even been legal given Walt planned to only have working age people in some of the homes. I can't remember if his idea was to rent all the homes out and just evict people when they hit retirement or something equally awful.

It seems absurd to think about, but if Walt was alive maybe he could've pushed though some insane bullshit making the land around Disney World some independent city state outside the jurisdiction of Florida or some poo poo. We as a species are still not immune to the inexplicable charms of charismatic rich guys insisting they will be the saviors of humanity, and Walt's personality cult was pretty wild even when he was alive.

The area around Disney World as-is is a jurisdictional nightmare in a lot of ways, and the local governments and law enforcement already kowtow to Disney World more than they'd like to acknowledge. You can even see the influence Disney World has on the region with how Ron DeSantis keeps trying to make Disney bend the knee, and their lawyers and the regional laws locked in place at their instruction decades ago keep rebuffing him at every turn.

I also have some recent videos... let's see

Kaz Rowe goes over the life and times of infamous Disaster Bisexual Hans and Victorian Clout Chaser, Hans Christian Andersen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Qgvtvkvxo

TikTok is mad at some millionaire youtube vlogger because she's a sheltered dork rambling about how true love isn't real after a breakup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxowwYChhUg

Wonder Egg Priority, an anime with dark themes of abuse and suicide and an intriguing mystery, completely shits itself and falls on its face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg4g3_LOdtQ

Also Jose has a video up now on The Nanny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YefwLmQY5wg

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Joining in to say that the EPCOT video was very well made, but the lack of the usual narration was weird. Probably why it felt like it didn’t have a slight veneer of objectivity his other videos had.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

C’mon H-Bomb, post the video!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The epcot video was portrayed as a special presentation, with the previous video on Disney’s original vision of epcot shown as part 1. So I assume there’s going to be a more standard part 2, although it’s weird to give this treatment to a video from three years ago.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wonder Egg Priority, an anime with dark themes of abuse and suicide and an intriguing mystery, completely shits itself and falls on its face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg4g3_LOdtQ

I remember watching this thing disintegrate in real time, going from “most promising show of the season” through “Persona but poo poo” and ending up at “what the actual gently caress?” It was a wild ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bakeneko posted:

I remember watching this thing disintegrate in real time, going from “most promising show of the season” through “Persona but poo poo” and ending up at “what the actual gently caress?” It was a wild ride.

The way the series just flat out stopped before the ending, everyone speculating on what would happen because they couldn't just leave it like that; then the ending managing to disappoint literally everyone was pretty memorable.