Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
drat is there really no gta2 clone? Honestly seems like a great single dev indie project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

this game used to have a single player or coop campaign mode i think, they did the fortnite thing and pivoted to battle royale but back when I tried it out the single player mode was still available
idk if it's still in that was a while ago

also it used to be just called "gene shift", lol at the name change just to sound like more of a clone

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Gene shift is the best. It uses obviously lifted counterstrike sound effects, too.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack B Nimble posted:

drat is there really no gta2 clone? Honestly seems like a great single dev indie project.

Just reminded me that there was a cyberpunk indie GTA2 clone called Glitchpunk, but it looks like it is still in early access and has mixed reviews, so dunno whether its a good recommend.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

Been playing the Songs Of Silence demo & really liking it, anything similar?

Jack Trades posted:

Which parts of it did you like specifically? There are a ton of games in that genre and it's hard to give informed recommendations without knowing what you specifically liked about it.

Pretty much what the Steam page description has: turn-based kingdom management, exploration, and hero development, contrasted with short and intense real-time battles.

I think typically these types of games have turn based battles right? Not looking for super grand like Total War epic battles with 100s of units in real time but the simplified semi-auto battler of SoS with some mild user direction was kinda cool - not sure if there's anything just like that or it's all turn based grid combat.

Curious what's out there.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

I was recently playing Binary Domain, and while it's not an exact match, it made me think: are there any cool third-person shooters with some neat RPG-esque squad-based tactics management? Basically I'd be looking for a game that's close to something like Mass Effect, but more short straightforward action-focused if possible instead of being a big sprawling RPG: think more like XCOM The Bureau (except, uh, better than that game).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The brothers in arms series has some squad based tactics in an fps but not really any rpg mechanics

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FutureCop posted:

I was recently playing Binary Domain, and while it's not an exact match, it made me think: are there any cool third-person shooters with some neat RPG-esque squad-based tactics management? Basically I'd be looking for a game that's close to something like Mass Effect, but more short straightforward action-focused if possible instead of being a big sprawling RPG: think more like XCOM The Bureau (except, uh, better than that game).

There was some ww2 game with lots of squad tactics, but I can't recall the name, or if it's too old to really feel contemporary, or if it was really that good. It was based around the Normandy campaign?

EDIT: Oh, it's a FPS.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

FutureCop posted:

Freedom Fighters was a pretty solid game, real early in this sort of genre of being a third-person cover shooter, ordering your doods around. I don't remember any RPG mechanics though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jack B Nimble posted:

There was some ww2 game with lots of squad tactics, but I can't recall the name, or if it's too old to really feel contemporary, or if it was really that good. It was based around the Normandy campaign?

It's not WW2, but this made me think of Full Spectrum Warrior. My only experience with the game is it crashing repeatedly at the title screen.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Brothers in Arms? I remember that being third or first person. Someone mentioned full spectrum that was good too

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ZeusCannon posted:

Brothers in Arms? I remember that being third or first person. Someone mentioned full spectrum that was good too

brothers in arms was fps. good games though

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Nearly finished my Cyberpunk playthrough and one of the things I like the most was you can just boot it up for 30mins to an hour and wander around Night City doing very little except whatever random quest or gig or randomly-generated event happened around you. Are there any other games like this where it's fun to just exist in the world and fool around without pursuing the main story? I've heard Red Dead Redemption 2 is kind of like this, anything else? No survival or co-op games please.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

Nearly finished my Cyberpunk playthrough and one of the things I like the most was you can just boot it up for 30mins to an hour and wander around Night City doing very little except whatever random quest or gig or randomly-generated event happened around you. Are there any other games like this where it's fun to just exist in the world and fool around without pursuing the main story? I've heard Red Dead Redemption 2 is kind of like this, anything else? No survival or co-op games please.

Depends on how vibrant you need the world to be but you could try Ghost Recon Breakpoint or the latest two assassin's creeds. It's no night city but they are big open worlds that facilitate short play sessions. Buy 'em cheap and temper your expectations and you might like them. Breakpoint in particular I recommend you up the combat difficulty (it has VERY granular settings) until it feels more like a game where prolonged shootouts and "fair fights" are a really bad idea; it'll lead to a lot more sneaking around and desperate running gun battles to break contact.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pierson posted:

that's kind of the whole driving ethos of bethesda's open world games (minus starfield since every major destination needs to be fast traveled to and is surrounded by infinite procgen planet so you can't really stumble into things randomly)

so try one of the twelve million rereleases of skyrim or fallout3/new vegas/4

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Pierson posted:

I'm sure you could go for any sort of open-world game like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher, GTA and so on, but one game in particular I thought about was Guild Wars 2, as long as you're interested in the MMO scene: there's always some sort of activity to do, be it dungeons or crafting or exploring or PVP or jumping puzzles and so on, and you can wander around and end up participating in tons of dynamic events that pop up, from helping a farmer pick apples, to repelling a goblin raid, to battling a world boss with loads of other people.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Kingdoms of Amalur is known for being fun if you just choose a random direction and see what quests and locations turn up. Don't think I've ever heard anybody mention the main story, just exploring

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just finished beating all of the legacy goals in We Who Are About to Die. While I enjoyed its unique gladiator roguelike elements, what really entertained me were its wacky physics where you'd chop a guy's head off and his body goes flying over the crowd or out of the coliseum.

Are there any good or at least decent games with wacky physics like this, either intentional or unintentional? I already know about Goat Simulator, Surgeon Simulator, Kerbal Space Program, Besiege and Gang Beasts. I think I prefer unintentional, but either is okay.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 18, 2023

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Pierson posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance might flick your bean. It's kinda janky in places, and if you're looking for eventual closure you aren't going to find it here but get the camping mod, go live in the woods, hunt, read and drink for a few days.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks very much for these suggestions folks. A couple I've played but a few I've never thought about so I'll go looking!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

Not as dynamic with random events, but possibly Sleeping Dogs. You even have the choice of a good few Hong Kong radio stations when driving. It can be a surprisingly chill experience in-between the ultra-violence of the main story. You can even get pork buns.

It regularly goes on sale as the definitive edition with all DLCs for a fiver too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just finished beating all of the legacy goals in We Who Are About to Die. While I enjoyed its unique gladiator roguelike elements, what really entertained me were its wacky physics where you'd chop a guy's head off and his body goes flying over the crowd or out of the coliseum.

Are there any good or at least decent games with wacky physics like this, either intentional or unintentional? I already know about Goat Simulator, Surgeon Simulator, Kerbal Space Program, Besiege and Gang Beasts. I think I prefer unintentional, but either is okay.
Exanima, with the caveat that it will never be finished. It has a fun arena mode and a unique physics based combat system though.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

FishMcCool posted:

Not as dynamic with random events, but possibly Sleeping Dogs. You even have the choice of a good few Hong Kong radio stations when driving. It can be a surprisingly chill experience in-between the ultra-violence of the main story. You can even get pork buns.

It regularly goes on sale as the definitive edition with all DLCs for a fiver too.

Hell yeah sleeping dogs

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I forgot the name of a game I played once: it's free, most of the screen taken up by a map of the world. You play as a rogue AI, and your job is to evolve by spreading through the world's network of computers (to start with), but if you act too aggressively, you risk getting discovered and hunted or destroyed by the humans.

e: vvv just posted there, thanks

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 20, 2023

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

I forgot the name of a game I played once: it's free, most of the screen taken up by a map of the world. You play as a rogue AI, and your job is to evolve by spreading through the world's network of computers (to start with), but if you act too aggressively, you risk getting discovered and hunted or destroyed by the humans.

You're looking for this https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Is there an Android phone games thread anywhere?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Pocket Billiards posted:

Is there an Android phone games thread anywhere?

there's an entire subforum for mobile games

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
thanks

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Kennel posted:

Has anyone done a decent GTA1-2 style game? Retro City Rampage appeared to be something like that, but had pretty bad driving mechanics IIRC.

Jack B Nimble posted:

You two might be interested in Shakedown Hawaii.

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

Jack Trades posted:

Which parts of it did you like specifically? There are a ton of games in that genre and it's hard to give informed recommendations without knowing what you specifically liked about it.

i3lueHorneT posted:

Pretty much what the Steam page description has: turn-based kingdom management, exploration, and hero development, contrasted with short and intense real-time battles.

I think typically these types of games have turn based battles right? Not looking for super grand like Total War epic battles with 100s of units in real time but the simplified semi-auto battler of SoS with some mild user direction was kinda cool - not sure if there's anything just like that or it's all turn based grid combat.

Still looking for something to scratch this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

i3lueHorneT posted:

Still looking for something to scratch this.

Hero's Hour is the only one I can think of with real-time combat, unfortunately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

What is there in terms of horror games with actual gameplay (no walking sims) that most importantly don't have jump scares?

The ones I'm thinking of are Signalis and Deadwood but I'll take anything with a good horror atmosphere, some kind of gameplay and no jump scares.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 23, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The good era Silent Hills. Very few jump scares, survival horror gameplay and indescribably hosed vibes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

What is there in terms of horror games with actual gameplay (no walking sims) that most importantly don't have jump scares?

The ones I'm thinking of are Signals and Deadwood but I'll take anything with a good horror atmosphere, some kind of gameplay and no jump scares.

Mundaun is a solid game with good gameplay. If it does have any jump scares I don't remember them

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

No Dignity posted:

The good era Silent Hills.
So which ones?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pierzak posted:

So which ones?

1-3, 4 is you're feeling generous.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Pierzak posted:

So which ones?

Everything released between 4 and The Room

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

No Dignity posted:

1-3, 4 is you're feeling generous.

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Everything released between 4 and The Room

:munch:

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Hero's Hour is the only one I can think of with real-time combat, unfortunately.

Okay thanks, I'll update my request then to include turn based tactics:

Looking for pretty much what the Steam page description has: turn-based kingdom management, exploration, and hero development, contrasted with short and intense real-time battles.

I think typically these types of games have turn based battles right? Not looking for super grand like Total War epic battles with 100s of units in real time but the simplified semi-auto battler of SoS with some mild user direction was kinda cool - not sure if there's anything just like that or if it's all turn based grid combat.

Not entirely against turn based tactics here, just hoping for more than only TBT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jack Trades posted:

The ones I'm thinking of are Signals and Deadwood but I'll take anything with a good horror atmosphere, some kind of gameplay and no jump scares.
Darkest Dungeon