Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

wipers aren't sterile, they can breed with white bass for sure. not sure about striper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ghostnuke posted:

wipers aren't sterile, they can breed with white bass for sure. not sure about striper.

They are sterile or close enough to not be worth talking about.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Id be bringing my snorkel gear along on my fishing trip, best believe I'm going after that bitch if I snag it on something.

I lost a nice Rapala twitch bait after like three casts the first time using it after it bounced off a dock, the water was nice and clear and I spent like half an hour looking for it and still couldn't find it lol, and that was for like a $13 lure. If it was 50 I'd put a GPS locator on it or something :v:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I lost a nice Rapala twitch bait after like three casts the first time using it after it bounced off a dock, the water was nice and clear and I spent like half an hour looking for it and still couldn't find it lol, and that was for like a $13 lure. If it was 50 I'd put a GPS locator on it or something :v:

Skip the in-between steps and figure out how to turn an AirTag into a lure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Fishing thread: snorkelling through a weed bed to save my 50 dollar swim bait.

Also, chad shad, challenges the fish to "come at me bro!"

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Cassius Belli posted:

Skip the in-between steps and figure out how to turn an AirTag into a lure.

the next marling baits video

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Losing expensive lures to snags has gotten me to the point where I almost exclusively just use plain lead jig heads with Berkeley gulp minnows. I still lose a lot, but they are pretty cheap. Also they work really well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Fishing thread: snorkelling through a weed bed to save my 50 dollar swim bait.

Also, chad shad, challenges the fish to "come at me bro!"

Was playing fishing planet last night and saw a dude with the clan tag [shad my pants], immature me liked it immensely.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Was playing fishing planet last night and saw a dude with the clan tag [shad my pants], immature me liked it immensely.

On the topic of fishing games I think fishing planet is one of many that's available nowadays I guess it must be pretty good? Anyone else have any recommendations? The last time I was really into a fishing game was Super Black Bass on th SNES

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Fishing planet can very well be free to play, which is why I like it. If you want the best gear at your level you have the option to buy it, up to and including high level lake passes at low levels to boost your level up quickly.

I just catch the fish, it's a fun time waster. Oh, and full Xbox controller support is nice on the PC version.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Losing expensive lures to snags has gotten me to the point where I almost exclusively just use plain lead jig heads with Berkeley gulp minnows. I still lose a lot, but they are pretty cheap. Also they work really well.

I tend to only use my expensive lures now when there's no structure or big rocks around, or fishing from shore with tons of weeds and trees around. Fishing off the beach is great cuz no worries there obviously, and if we're on the skiff we can just troll up to wherever the snag is.

But yeah we've got one of those Zman binders full of their plastics, paddle tails, shads and crabs of different sizes and color. Put em on a screw lock hook, make em weedless and go to town otherwise gently caress it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Losing lures in the river was what led me down the fly fishing path. I haven’t saved any money (quite the opposite) but I don’t feel bad about leaving dozens of hooks and plastic baits snagged along the bottom of the river anymore.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

bought a pack of ez swimmers at the tackle shop today

had four bites and watching these things gurgle and how insanely bass blow up on them is the most fun i've had fishing in months, this is absolutely going to be a tacklebox mainstay

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the senko bite has been crazy for about the past week. some weedlines i pull up like three or four bass in a row.

best of the lot so far has been my pb - 22 inches

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

if bass aren't hitting senkos, they aren't hitting anything

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ghostnuke posted:

if bass aren't hitting senkos, they aren't hitting anything

nieces came over after i got back from that trip and went out on the kayaks with their spinning rods. i pretty much just said "throw senkos here" and they came back having caught eight bass in about two hours

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I should really try these Senkos everyone keeps talking about. However it's getting pretty cold in my area (like highs in the 40s) and this is not really great Bass fishing weather. Would Senkos still work or should I just hang up the rods until Spring?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I live in Minnesota but have never ice fished. My friend is getting a shelter though so I need a rod. Any go to basic recommendation?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KingKapalone posted:

I live in Minnesota but have never ice fished. My friend is getting a shelter though so I need a rod. Any go to basic recommendation?

Honestly? I have 150 dollar ice fishing rods and I have the 25 dollar combo dealies. The expensive rods don’t catch more fish. You are just dropping a line into a hole in the ice right in front of you. Just pick up a couple of THESE (you can have 2 lines in the water while ice fishing) and spend your money on better line and some tackle.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

more importantly, what kind of beer are you bringing

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

Honestly? I have 150 dollar ice fishing rods and I have the 25 dollar combo dealies. The expensive rods don’t catch more fish. You are just dropping a line into a hole in the ice right in front of you. Just pick up a couple of THESE (you can have 2 lines in the water while ice fishing) and spend your money on better line and some tackle.

I don't even know what tackle is used. Thanks for the link.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KingKapalone posted:

I don't even know what tackle is used. Thanks for the link.

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/ice-fishing/7600/perch-ice-fishing-tips-and-strategies

Honestly though, if your buddy has a shelter, just ask them. The important question has already been asked though. What type of beer will you bring? Since actually catching lots of fish is usually secondary to using ice fishing as an excuse to get outside during winter and do some day drinking.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

What’s a decent way to transport one piece fishing rods in an SUV? I’m thinking of getting a couple bungies that I’ll tie from the roof grab handles.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

https://1source.basspro.com/news-tips/ice-fishing/7600/perch-ice-fishing-tips-and-strategies

Honestly though, if your buddy has a shelter, just ask them. The important question has already been asked though. What type of beer will you bring? Since actually catching lots of fish is usually secondary to using ice fishing as an excuse to get outside during winter and do some day drinking.

He is getting it soon so not sure if he knows much. I assume we'll be going for walleye and pike? Didn't know perch were a common target.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

KingKapalone posted:

He is getting it soon so not sure if he knows much. I assume we'll be going for walleye and pike? Didn't know perch were a common target.

Do you know what part of the state you plan to fish in? We did a goon ice fish meet at Lake Minnetonka a couple of years ago. I fished the whole weekend and caught half a dozen small perch and a dozen or so cold beers.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Rated PG-34 posted:

What’s a decent way to transport one piece fishing rods in an SUV? I’m thinking of getting a couple bungies that I’ll tie from the roof grab handles.

Some people mount a PVC pipe with caps on the end on their roof, long enough to slide the rods into. I just slide rod sleeves on them and shove them inside the car. Is there a reason you can't just put them in the car?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Hekk posted:

Do you know what part of the state you plan to fish in? We did a goon ice fish meet at Lake Minnetonka a couple of years ago. I fished the whole weekend and caught half a dozen small perch and a dozen or so cold beers.

Good point, we live around there and I don't know how portable this thing will be so that's probably where it would be.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ihop posted:

Some people mount a PVC pipe with caps on the end on their roof, long enough to slide the rods into. I just slide rod sleeves on them and shove them inside the car. Is there a reason you can't just put them in the car?

They’re just kind of in the way as they span the whole cabin length

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Car doors have probably broken more rod tips than any other cause so yeah I would totally put it on the roof.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

2 piece superiority

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

sexy tiger boobs posted:

2 piece superiority

I can't do it except for my custom japanese creek rod.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Sitting here near Lake St Clair reading the winter forecast and thinking about either selling all my ice fishing equipment or moving to the UP :sigh:

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I live an hour from the (beginning of) the outer banks of NC.
is it worth trying to surf fish for a meal this time of year?

otherwise all the bodies of freshwater near me seem to be only a couple feet deep at most and it feels like there aren't actually any fish in them....lol

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Car Hater posted:

Sitting here near Lake St Clair reading the winter forecast and thinking about either selling all my ice fishing equipment or moving to the UP :sigh:

I seriously wonder how many years of ice fishing are left.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

what do yall like for pliers/hook removal

i've got a pair of aluminum no-name amazon specials that suck poo poo and i'd like to invest in something nicer

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Sarah Cenia posted:

I live an hour from the (beginning of) the outer banks of NC.
is it worth trying to surf fish for a meal this time of year?

otherwise all the bodies of freshwater near me seem to be only a couple feet deep at most and it feels like there aren't actually any fish in them....lol

I can't comment on your area but supposedly right now people are killing it from the surf up here in the north east.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Just don't leave weights attached like a lazy guy, let me tell you how easily a 1oz sinker can crack a windshield from the inside :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Was on the beach the other day and had my paddle board and fishing setup with me cuz we were shark fishing and we use the paddle boards to run the bait out further than we can cast it. While watching the shark pole we saw some major feeding explosions going off about 300 yards out with the birds going crazy so I jumped on the board and paddled out to it. It was a big school of large tuna going nuts feeding on bait that was everywhere so I started casting a Rapala jerk bait that looks exactly like the bait they were feeding on (green backs), while I was casting I noticed there was a ton of crab trap buoys all around me and I was a bit worried it could be a problem and of course it was. I hooked on to a good size tuna and the drag started instantly screaming, my heart was pounding in my chest, I knew this fish was really big and it was already pulling me around on the paddle board.

Just when I though I had it in the bag, had the drag set just how i wanted it, the tuna ran around one of the crab trap lines and it seemed almost intentional. As soon as that happened he darted in the opposite direction and was bringing the trap rope up to the surface. I knew if I didn't get it untangled I was hosed, so when he turned me around the buoy was right in front of me and I took the only opportunity I was going to have to dip the rod tip under the buoy and get the line out from around the rope. And that was all the tuna needed to get away, he had already bent the hook enough that when I released tension for a few seconds he was able to get off. I was so pissed at those stupid loving crab traps, I was about to have the most epic catch ever off one of my boards. It was a few days ago and i'm still thinking about it :argh:

Oh and while I was out there chasing and fighting tuna my son pulled this bull shark in and I missed that too LOL

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone buy tackle on Temu? Seems like I could save a decent chunk of change by ordering from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I haven't but have bought some off aliexpress. It was cheaper for sure but it was tough to navigate and some stuff just didn't ship.

I went into Temu briefly and the whole thing was just obnoxious with spin the wheel popups and just seemed scammy overall.