Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

In modern?
When your fetch every turn?

There’s a lot of ways it’s worse than luminarch aspirant even then, when it can’t give counters or be a fully standalone threat. But yeah being 1 mana might make it better than a fringe playable creature in modern specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://www.mtgo.com/en/mtgo/decklist/modern-league-2023-11-17
It's already putting up results.
Unlike aspirant which hasn't been seen past pioneer since I don't know when

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Depends on boars state and life totals, if you could counter two hawks then I'd be more likely to go for it. Do they play spell pierce? Do they have four mana? Cause if they can go hawk / spell pierce I would dispel the brainstorm and not try to get cute with countering the hawks
I didn't even know this deck runs Spell Pierce but according to data on MTGGoldfish, they do sometimes. I didn't see one so I assumed his counter magic were only the 4 of "counterspells". i'm also worried about prismatic strands.

They do have 4 lands on board but they haven't played a land yet.

Mr. Locke posted:

In a vacuum, I would say that I would counter the Brainstorm with the Dispel if the opponent has not yet found a Basilisk Gate, and think long and hard what your options are against a stream of resolved Hawks versus leaving yourself open to them sneaking in a Guardian in if your shields are down if they have. 4 Hawks is a lot of threats but depending on your hand and board you can beat 4 Hawks, even with Basilisk's Gate, but you're not beating a Guardian unless you can win the race. If you can avoid folding immediately to the known Hawks, I'd still hit the Brainstorm, otherwise I'd go for the Counterspell on the Hawk if the have your number just with Birds + Gate and you just gotta hope they didn't find something better to do off the Brainstorm.

Oh wow this is a good point about the Gate.

I have found that a bounce package against the current meta is pretty bad since a ton of creatures have ETBs that most people are probably willing to let get bounced. the only exception being large creatures with high casting cost. i can see why people are switching more towards dimir faeries/terror. if they have no answers to faeries the mono blue deck plays well but once flyers land because you run out of counter magic it gets harder to win.

MasterBuilder posted:

Went to a release sealed event (6player) at an LGS that is pretty laid back, friendly and on the non competitive side of things. Got pairings and one guy had his name as first name CRUSHER OF WILLS last name in the companion app. Played against him in the first round and he played quick and silent but from what I could tell clean. Where the other pairing had a bit of banter he was all business. Ended up losing against him but whatever. Played the next 2 rounds had a good time and ended up winning going 2-1-0 overall.

Now that caused a 3 way tie with me, CRUSHER, and James that wouldn't be resolved until the entire tournament end which was going long (one player hadn't played in 20 years and the other had a very slow deck). The prize being the 30th anniversary atarka.

After 5 minutes James decided that since he lost to me he wasn't in the running and left. After another 15 the last game finished and turns out the standings were James, CRUSHER, me. CRUSHER says to the TO that oh since James left I guess I get the promo card. Before the TO had a chance to think I interjected and said "James signed up online right, so you have his email and phone number right". TO agreed. CRUSHER left dejected

What would you guys have done? I was out of the running so it really didn't matter to me who got the card but I'll admit his name and how he played influenced my response.

i think if the James guy did win he probably deserves to get it unless their policy is to only award people who are still in attendance. i don't think what you did was bad but it seemed like you did it for the wrong reasons. maybe he's just reserved and thought the name was funny?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Sickening posted:

This plays better than it looks.

I'm working on a standard brew that uses this guy, cenote scout, deathbonnet sprout, the mycotyrant, old rutstein and some other bits of self mill, it's still in the early stages but things are promising

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Strong Sauce posted:

i think if the James guy did win he probably deserves to get it unless their policy is to only award people who are still in attendance. i don't think what you did was bad but it seemed like you did it for the wrong reasons. maybe he's just reserved and thought the name was funny?

I don't think you're 100% wrong in your assessment of my motivations. But if he was being cheeky with his name it didn't come across in his demeanor. He seemed reasonable enough but he did mentioned playing paper events 2-3 times a week which would make more sense if he was a regular at one or both of the two other larger LGS in town which are much more competitive.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
It might end up a big ol nothing, but right now in goblin decks its about the best 1 cmc beater the decks have and I feel like it needed a good one. The evasion has played around really well and the added utility of the activated ability has been more useful than usual. It also helps the land math in situations where you might want to factor in thoughtsieze or something on turn one just from being black.

Its also been kind of interesting even in non-goblin decks. ;;

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Qwertycoatl posted:

This is why kitchen table is the best format

Speaking of, my "having children" investment is finally paying off now that I have an 8 and 10 year old who just got introduced to MTG by one of their friends. Specifically the Lord of the Rings starter set, which is a great match for them because they're reading the books now and love it.

They played two games today with the starter set. I just spent an hour tonight ordering 500 cards from tcgplayer for ~$80 and their minds will be blown with all the deckbuilding possibilities.

My 8 year old remarked "the back of the cards doesn't look very cool". It's what we're stuck with now, kid, that's why everyone uses opaque sleeves

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of, my "having children" investment is finally paying off now that I have an 8 and 10 year old who just got introduced to MTG by one of their friends.

My "having children" investment is paying off because now because I can never go out to play paper magic in person anymore I'm going to try and sell off parts of my collection and try to furnish a playroom, and a new fridge, and maybe a washer/dryer if I get lucky

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GoutPatrol posted:

My "having children" investment is paying off because now because I can never go out to play paper magic in person anymore I'm going to try and sell off parts of my collection and try to furnish a playroom, and a new fridge, and maybe a washer/dryer if I get lucky

I'm finding this post more accurate than the other one

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GoutPatrol posted:

I started buying into and playing Legacy like a month after my son was born like an idiot lol. He's almost two now and I have a playset of Volcs I get to play maybe six times a year. v:shobon:v

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Katana Gomai posted:

I started buying into and playing Legacy like a month after my son was born like an idiot lol. He's almost two now and I have a playset of Volcs I get to play maybe six times a year. v:shobon:v

When I die my kid is going to sell my collection and they're going to learn the hard way that only the modern cards were legal, and no I didn't actually own all those duals

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

https://www.mtgo.com/en/mtgo/decklist/modern-league-2023-11-17
It's already putting up results.
Unlike aspirant which hasn't been seen past pioneer since I don't know when

My point was that it’s worse than luminarch aspirant in the formats that luminarch aspirant saw real play in, which makes it a pretty useless comparison.

But mostly I just wanted to coin hoot take.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

canyoneer posted:

Speaking of, my "having children" investment is finally paying off now that I have an 8 and 10 year old who just got introduced to MTG by one of their friends. Specifically the Lord of the Rings starter set, which is a great match for them because they're reading the books now and love it.

They played two games today with the starter set. I just spent an hour tonight ordering 500 cards from tcgplayer for ~$80 and their minds will be blown with all the deckbuilding possibilities.

My 8 year old remarked "the back of the cards doesn't look very cool". It's what we're stuck with now, kid, that's why everyone uses opaque sleeves

I'm sorry your 8 year old doesn't have any taste.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Magic: the Gathering:

rickiep00h posted:

I'm sorry your 8 year old doesn't have any taste.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The MTG Teddy Fresh collab has been revealed and they used Necroimpotence

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The gob costs 1 which is ten times better than luminarch ASSpirant (heh gottem) costing 2.

That's an important consideration.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

can't put gobb in mono white. therefore it sucks

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HootTheOwl posted:

They probably didn't want to spend the money to re-license Necropotence, it's fine.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

HootTheOwl posted:

Got a gallery? I own a TF hoodie and beanie and they are both high quality, but idk if I want to wear mtg art. Maybe as a t-shirt. A really good sweater or hoodie design might be able to get me to buy something.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Got a gallery? I own a TF hoodie and beanie and they are both high quality, but idk if I want to wear mtg art. Maybe as a t-shirt. A really good sweater or hoodie design might be able to get me to buy something.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Czwc1qxvyHk/?hl=en
They go on sale tomorrow

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am not a customer of this kind of clothing but it’s def not fine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Lol at all the people having kids. Lesbians stay winning

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
I found my old Standard decklist for I think City Champs 2007 (woo Bellingham!). I was watching BSG via Netflix mailed discs at the time, so it was called Battlewand Gaddak-Teega. I think I got 3rd or 4th overall.

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Battlewand Oak
4 Gaddak Teeg
4 Doran the Siege Tower
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Timber Protector
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Crib Swap
3 Saffi Eriksdotter

3 city of brass
3 Llanowar wastes
3 gemstone mine
4 brushland
8 forest
2 plains

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Pantsless Hero posted:

I found my old Standard decklist for I think City Champs 2007 (woo Bellingham!). I was watching BSG via Netflix mailed discs at the time, so it was called Battlewand Gaddak-Teega. I think I got 3rd or 4th overall.

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Battlewand Oak
4 Gaddak Teeg
4 Doran the Siege Tower
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Timber Protector
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Crib Swap
3 Saffi Eriksdotter

3 city of brass
3 Llanowar wastes
3 gemstone mine
4 brushland
8 forest
2 plains

I know questioning 16 year old deck building choices won't go far, but why no Murmuring Bosks? over a third of your deck is treefolk, so it's pretty easy to hit the condition.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Lol at all the people having kids. Lesbians stay winning

:hai:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Pantsless Hero posted:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Battlewand Oak
4 Gaddak Teeg
4 Doran the Siege Tower
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Timber Protector
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Crib Swap
3 Saffi Eriksdotter

3 city of brass
3 Llanowar wastes
3 gemstone mine
4 brushland
8 forest
2 plains

my word, how did all you boomer players get by without every card replacing itself

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Easy, just slam Stasis and win with a Serra Angel or two.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lmao that lesbians think they can't be breeders.
You don't even need extra donors anymore

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

this is a great draft format because not only is aggro good but its specifically the type of aggro where you play a bunch of stupid rear end one drops

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dinosaurs is a trap, mono white tokens and UG explore is the truth

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pantsless Hero posted:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Battlewand Oak
4 Gaddak Teeg
4 Doran the Siege Tower
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Timber Protector
4 Nameless Inversion
4 Crib Swap
3 Saffi Eriksdotter

3 city of brass
3 Llanowar wastes
3 gemstone mine
4 brushland
8 forest
2 plains

This looks like a beautiful deck and I hope it went well 15 years ago.

Pantsless Hero
May 25, 2004

Serv-Bot will kick your ass.
Not 100% sure about the Murmuring Bosks. This was on an old HD and might not have been a final list. It was fun to play when it went off though.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Pantsless Hero posted:

Not 100% sure about the Murmuring Bosks. This was on an old HD and might not have been a final list. It was fun to play when it went off though.

If that was a Champs list, then it would have been right after Lorwyn's release, not Morningtide, where Murmuring Bosk was printed.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

kalel posted:

my word, how did all you boomer players get by without every card replacing itself

You played an effective 5/5 for 3 and turned it sideways, which was the style at the time.

Kids and Guns
Apr 1, 2013
For anyone who plays paper drafts, how much does your FLGS charge for it? The store I've been going to charges 20$ a person for 3 rounds of Swiss, with a pack or 4$ sc per win. I'd like to support them but man, it feels like I should just be buying a draft box myself at that rate.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

if you still want the princess bride, evil dead, and creepshow secret lairs you've got under 2 hours left

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Kids and Guns posted:

For anyone who plays paper drafts, how much does your FLGS charge for it? The store I've been going to charges 20$ a person for 3 rounds of Swiss, with a pack or 4$ sc per win. I'd like to support them but man, it feels like I should just be buying a draft box myself at that rate.

i assume they're supplying you the packs in which case that's on the low end of costs. i'm in california though. but prices now can be as high as $35 after taxes. you're paying them also to host the game and to provide space to play.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Hot drat, that was close, thanks for the heads up. Almost procrastinated myself out of the Princess Bride SL!

Kids and Guns posted:

I mean part of the appeal is you play Magic with other people. If you have a playgroup to draft with on your own that can change things but otherwise 20 bucks doesnt seem like a terrible rate given packs can be 5 a pop nowadays.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hey thread! I’m trying to break into Modern after a long hiatus from competitive play. I am starting with a modest pile of cards, mostly non-Modern format. For learning the format and tech, am I right in thinking renting decks on Mtgo is the way to go?

I have the resources to buy in and eventually support 2-3 decks but I’m not trying to be a dumbass with my money. Right now I just watch Andrea Mengucci and Aspiring Spike videos and look at meta analysis of tournament lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Kids and Guns posted:

$22AUD(33AUD for LotR), 3 rounds of swiss, 1 pack per player added to the prize pool, distribution fluctuates based on turn out