Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

some kinda jackal posted:

I know the answer is "the stupidest of the stupid" but I'm looking through this spam message that I got from someone who obviously just trolled IANA's public registry and I'm like.. I don't get it -- this zero effort email that isn't even pretending to be legitimate which presumably costs a non-zero amount of dollars to spam out: What are the economics of this scam? Like maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part because I can't even begin to pretend to dream up someone gullible enough to engage with these kinds of emails.

But then again this is sitting in a folder next to eight messages from various desperate ladies who want to "have a good time" peppered with emoji so I guess the ACTUAL answer is that I have no idea how the world of spam works.

Sorry I guess this is only marginally infosec related, but it's been living in my head rent free for like two days now and the only way to evict it is to fess up about how absolutely confused I am.

I feel like a contributor to the struggle you're facing is that you haven't recently had an experience that reminded you just how bottomlessly stupid humanity is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tryzzub posted:

Not RSS but:
https://www.rapid7.com/blog/series/emergent-threats/emergent-threats/

You can have them emailed to you:
https://information.rapid7.com/communication-preferences.html

CISA KEV also useful for keeping up with actively exploited vulnerabilities (that have fixes!):
https://www.cisa.gov/about/contact-us/subscribe-updates-cisa

GreyNoise usually keeps up with CISA KEV and shows off when the exploits started appearing in the wild. The blogs do a decent job explaining what's going on in the cves and what versions to worry about.
https://www.greynoise.io/blog

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Yeah, that certainly strikes a note.

Are there any good RSS feeds for emergent vulnerabilities? I made the mistake of asking our SOC folks about some of the stuff mentioned in this thread over the last few weeks and now they think I'm in the "know". Might as well ask around for them.
Internet Storm Center can be quite useful to get an image of the broader series of tubes.
They also have some very good blogs.

It’s the one that has survived me not being in InfoSec anymore; it’s simply too useful.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Thanks guys/gals.

Coming from app Security on an ERP, the greater VM world is pretty vast and overwhelming. I appreciate the resources.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Ransomware gang files SEC complaint over victim’s undisclosed breach

Hearty chuckle of the day

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm looking to switch from IT infrastructure/ops to entry level security. Despite having some tangential security responsibilities in my prior role, tons of Identity management experience and broad general knowledge/experience in IT infra, I suspect I'm not getting past the recruiter filter much due to no cert. What's a relatively simple cert that might get me passed this hurdle in some cases?

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Security+ probably.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

FungiCap posted:

Security+ probably.

:yeah:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"They are out of line, but they are right."

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bald Stalin posted:

I'm looking to switch from IT infrastructure/ops to entry level security. Despite having some tangential security responsibilities in my prior role, tons of Identity management experience and broad general knowledge/experience in IT infra, I suspect I'm not getting past the recruiter filter much due to no cert. What's a relatively simple cert that might get me passed this hurdle in some cases?

Do you have any interest in relocating to SE Michigan? There's an opening on my team right now for an entry level security person and we (or at least I, and I'll be in on the interviews) don't give a poo poo about certs. It's like a 99% WFH gig but you do need to live somewhat close to Ann Arbor. Posting closes on the 19th, if you're interested I'll PM you the link.

Edit: lol ok writing this on the mobile app and just saw your av text. Guessing that's a no on the relocation! But if anybody else reading this is interested, PM me!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I feel like a contributor to the struggle you're facing is that you haven't recently had an experience that reminded you just how bottomlessly stupid humanity is

I’m an eternal optimist, contraray to my posting history :haw:

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
There's a niche mod for a game (called Stalker GAMMA) I want to play but the install instructions seem suss to me for reasons I admittedly can't actually say. Technically it's a mod (GAMMA) , of a mod (Stalker Anomaly). To play it, it requires:

- Install both into your root C:/ directory
- Add them both as anti-virus exceptions
- run .exe as adminstrator.

The game thats being modded is old as hell so it's not all that weird that a crunchy hacked set of mods like this would necessarily require all this, but I got curious from an infosec perspective if this is in fact as much of a risk as it seems to be at first glance.

I really wanna play the mod, but also don't want my PC to be part of a botnet.

With those three things in mind above, is there anymore risk than if I was just playing any other community-made mod for a PC game? If so, is there an easy work-around that one could think of to sandbox the game so it could be played without risking anything else? Through a VM or docker container somehow?

Here's a video with a guy with a tail going over install instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAd2-WyN96o

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

A VM would probably run horribly and to you probably don't have the chops to pull apart the program in the sandbox to see if it's malicious. You could scan with antivirus before running to check for signatures. (with the knowledge it might be a false positive)

That said, it's probably fine? Adding an exception to the antivirus is risky but not that far outside the norm for somewhat obscure bolt-on mods. Download from a relatively reputable site like ModDB or Nexus.

If you tried to install it at work, though, you'd be nuked.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 18, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

If you're REALLY intent on playing this game and you are paranoid about it you can always build a hardware sandbox, just take a computer that has enough resources to run the game, physically make sure it has no network accessibility, play it on that, and never use it for anything else. Alternatively if you don't have a bunch of spare parts laying around you can go with the less secure route, swap in another hard drive to your main computer, disconnect it from the network, and play that way.

As stated above, it's probably fine if you got it from a reputable source like moddb or nexus and check the file signatures to see if whats supposed to be there is only whats supposed to be there. It isn't uncommon for windows defender, et al to freak out against actually legit software just based on what the software does and how/if it is actually signed.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Oysters Autobio posted:

There's a niche mod for a game (called Stalker GAMMA) I want to play but the install instructions seem suss to me for reasons I admittedly can't actually say. Technically it's a mod (GAMMA) , of a mod (Stalker Anomaly). To play it, it requires:

- Install both into your root C:/ directory
- Add them both as anti-virus exceptions
- run .exe as adminstrator.

The game thats being modded is old as hell so it's not all that weird that a crunchy hacked set of mods like this would necessarily require all this, but I got curious from an infosec perspective if this is in fact as much of a risk as it seems to be at first glance.

I really wanna play the mod, but also don't want my PC to be part of a botnet.

With those three things in mind above, is there anymore risk than if I was just playing any other community-made mod for a PC game? If so, is there an easy work-around that one could think of to sandbox the game so it could be played without risking anything else? Through a VM or docker container somehow?

Here's a video with a guy with a tail going over install instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAd2-WyN96o
GAMMA's loader does junctioning and virtual FS stuff, which causes a lot of AV systems to absolutely poo poo themselves. If you get the installers from the official discord, you should be fine. I've probably got 1k hours in gamma over the last few patches.

You can install it into whatever folder you want, as long as it has no spaces. D:\Games or J:\Games\CHEEKIEBREEKIE works just as well as C:\

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A virtual machine will probably run just fine if the game is that old and you set up GPU passthrough.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sirotan posted:

Do you have any interest in relocating to SE Michigan? There's an opening on my team right now for an entry level security person and we (or at least I, and I'll be in on the interviews) don't give a poo poo about certs. It's like a 99% WFH gig but you do need to live somewhat close to Ann Arbor. Posting closes on the 19th, if you're interested I'll PM you the link.

Edit: lol ok writing this on the mobile app and just saw your av text. Guessing that's a no on the relocation! But if anybody else reading this is interested, PM me!

Does it include Michigan season tickets? I might know a guy if you can throw that in.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

jaegerx posted:

Does it include Michigan season tickets? I might know a guy if you can throw that in.
There’s one catch, you’ve gotta have a good camera phone

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Thanks Ants posted:

Pass the token back and forth

)) <token> ((

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
TIL: Defender for Endpoint will send an informational alert to the dashboard if you plug in a Flipper Zero.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually just bought a FZ on a whim, I can't wait to see what the SOC guys have to say about that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I actually just bought a FZ on a whim, I can't wait to see what the SOC guys have to say about that.

I would at least talk to someone before doing that. Not many orgs I have been a part of would see that as very funny in the blind. Even the folks who do red team like things here would be risky getting shitcanned over rolling the dice on that without approval with current leadership IMO.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh entirely joking -- I spent enough time in an operational security role to know better than to throw a grenade to those poor souls :haw:

I'm the guy who's littering the infosec chat with "uh hey if you're getting any SOC alerts from me I'm drunk and fat fingering my password right now"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm the guy who's littering the infosec chat with "uh hey if you're getting any SOC alerts from me I'm drunk and fat fingering my password right now"
"your account will be re-enabled in 8 hours when you've sobered up, see ya"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

"your account will be re-enabled in 8 hours when you've sobered up, see ya"

You could lock me out for a week and my contributions to the enterprise wouldn't be significantly affected :effort:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sober after 8 hours? That's awful brave of you to say in the infosec thread.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The sobriety patch is stuck in qa approvals, this will have to wait until after the holiday

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Sober after 8 hours? That's awful brave of you to say in the infosec thread.
In 8 hours I’ll be the one with the beer in my hand and it’ll be someone else’s problem.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MustardFacial posted:

TIL: Defender for Endpoint will send an informational alert to the dashboard if you plug in a Flipper Zero.

Sometimes more than just Defender will alert on it depending what your environment is configured to look for! First hand experience with that one. Not all of the interactions I ran were picked up (expected), some were blocked via USB policies, and others I think I didn't write properly. I am the SOC guy that was testing detections.

-- I spent enough time in an operational security role to know better than to throw a grenade to those poor souls :haw:

Appreciated lol

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone ever use TryHackMe? How did you like it as a training/educational tool?

I'm 100% blue team with an ops background in networking, and have been thinking of paying (getting work to at least) for a subscription just to tool around and have fun with and learn new things. Seemed like the best platform out there for that sort of thing but wondered if there are better alternatives.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm 100% blue team with an ops background in networking, and have been thinking of paying (getting work to at least) for a subscription just to tool around and have fun with and learn new things. Seemed like the best platform out there for that sort of thing but wondered if there are better alternatives.

It's a good start. Eventually you'll outgrow it but then there will be things like HackTheBox.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

if work is paying for it, why wouldn't you just do the oscp thing?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the recs on HackTheBox, may look there as well!

I just want some casual learning. I renewed a bunch of certs and got one new one this year, not looking to start studying for any new ones in any serious way at least.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"studying" for oscp is literally doing the labs like you're saying you want to do, though

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Huh TIL. I thought that was the hard one that they gave you like 2-3 days on to hack and write up reports on.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Huh TIL. I thought that was the hard one that they gave you like 2-3 days on to hack and write up reports on.

It is, and theyre right. All you're doing is the same sort of stuff you'll be doing in labs except that you can't rely on metasploit to do the heavy lifting for you. The new scoring requirements also make it more annoying than the people before you as well, because now you either have to be able to fully crack an AD domain or you have to do perfectly on all machines.

Personally if work is willing to foot the bill you may as well go the Pen-200 route, you don't HAVE to take the OSCP after doing it, but it gives you the option to be prepared.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 29, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

TryHackMe is pretty great on fundamentals, even better if the place you're at is really Linux heavy since a lot of their blue side training uses a ton of open source material/software.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
I just passed my cissp.
So if you’re gonna do this remember that according to the isc2 website their test is going to try and give you questions you have a 50% chance of getting right based on your previous answers and you already have a 25% chance of randomly getting a right answer.

So if it’s assfuck hard and you’re asking yourself what the questions have to do with the study material even tangentially then you’re probably doing good. I had a practice test app that showed what percent of people answered a given question correctly and that would have been a useful feature if I’d bothered to read the isc2 website. And I guess that is about all I’m allowed to say about it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Internet Old One posted:

I just passed my cissp.
So if you’re gonna do this remember that according to the isc2 website their test is going to try and give you questions you have a 50% chance of getting right based on your previous answers and you already have a 25% chance of randomly getting a right answer.

So if it’s assfuck hard and you’re asking yourself what the questions have to do with the study material even tangentially then you’re probably doing good. I had a practice test app that showed what percent of people answered a given question correctly and that would have been a useful feature if I’d bothered to read the isc2 website. And I guess that is about all I’m allowed to say about it.

What app did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Sickening posted:

What app did you use?

Learn2zapp was the one that showed how well other people scored on particular questions so if you’re passing their quizzes by a good margin and your wrong answers are mostly hard with a few mediums then I guess you’re as ready as you can be.

The thing is all the questions are targeted to have a 50% chance of failure and factoring in the automatic 25% of guessing and often being able to eliminate one or two answers. This means the test questions are all basically nonsense way over whatever you’re actually prepared to answer. I wasn’t thinking like a manager or using a cissp mindset or whatever other meaningless slogans people like to throw around.

I didn’t understand how the test works so I was basically going through the motions confident that I failed, skim reading the questions and I passed at 125 with over 100 minutes left which I guess is good but honestly I don’t know how they measured any sort of competency from my collection of quick guesses. Almost none of it was very related to the study materials. I was planning on not retaking the test and just getting something else by the time I finished.