Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

In addition to the cop stuff, she's got a real lack of charisma and to top it off, one of the most unfortunate nervous laughs I've ever seen. It's a rough combination for someone in the national political spotlight.

That said she works alright on Biden's ticket from the perspective of wanting to actually win elections because Biden's strength is pulling support from the center-right/right-leaning independents and her appeal is a lot more in that direction than to the left flank of the dems.

She really is a wet rag of a person. Every interview I've ever listened to her on has left me exasperated on her behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah was bummed when he retired but in retrospect gotta respect him for going out on top rather than accepting inferior output, amazing respect for his audience. Also glad he quietly lives his life popping up here and there but feels no need to embarrass himself by getting addicted to social media & trying to have hot takes on everything like Stephen King.

Don't blasphemy Stephen King like that.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah was bummed when he retired but in retrospect gotta respect him for going out on top rather than accepting inferior output, amazing respect for his audience. Also glad he quietly lives his life popping up here and there but feels no need to embarrass himself by getting addicted to social media & trying to have hot takes on everything like Stephen King.

Good point, it's unfortunate more creators using social media aren't sane and normal with a six pack like Scott Adams

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It was great when he showed up completely out of the blue to do a collaboration with Pearls Before Swine.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Hyrax Attack! posted:

:hmmyes:

Watterson said what he wanted to say and went out at the top of his game with a comic strip so good it not only influenced entire generations of people but changed what the medium was capable of, and he's been smart enough to keep a low profile ever since. His work spoke for him. I love King's stuff, and his heart is in the right place politically even if he's an old fellow-kids goober now, but he can't shut the gently caress up, and it's not doing his legacy any favors.

I haven't read The Mysteries because I'm afraid it'll suck. When a writer gets it right the first time like Waterson or Harper Lee (or, to King's absolute credit, when he dropped a string of horror classics in his early career), anything afterwards has to be a disappointment.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 20, 2023

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In one of the great NHL Sega Genesis games you could make players so my five guys on the Ducks were named after the cartoon, except I couldn’t figure out how to make a goalie so I’d trade for the Chicago Blackhawks elite guy. So my powerhouse team consisted of Wildwing Flashblade, Mallory McMallard, and Ed Belfour.

Kinda hosed up considering Belfour's nickname.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Argentina elected this man

So that's a...thing.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Nov 20, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have no idea who that person is but there isn't a single thing in the screenshot you posted that points to anything good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Argentina elected this man

So that's a...thing.

Seems like a great guy

quote:

The 53-year-old president-elect is known for his eccentricities and brash statements. A climate denying provocateur, Milei once described Argentine Pope Francis as "a filthy leftist" and a supporter of communists. He has never married, says he is a tantric sex expert and considers his five Bullmastiff dogs, cloned from a past pet, his "four-legged children." Milei will take office on Dec. 10.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
That guys not gonna last.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
And there won't be a nanosecond of reflection when Argentina does not, in fact, find prosperity ahead because a lunatic gets elected.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Seems like a great guy

Yeah here's more:

https://twitter.com/TheInsiderPaper/status/1726389929507524871?t=NL_-jCYqBJzEzf3KMimmuQ&s=19

Basically:

bird food bathtub posted:

And there won't be a nanosecond of reflection when Argentina does not, in fact, find prosperity ahead because a lunatic gets elected.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

He looks like a Superman villain

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

He’s also an anti-vaxxer. That plus all the other things in the tweet above, no wonder Musk thinks he’s awesome.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MrMojok posted:

He’s also an anti-vaxxer. That plus all the other things in the tweet above, no wonder Musk thinks he’s awesome.

His politics are so inscrutable.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Bored As gently caress posted:

He looks like he should be running a Victorian work house in a Charles Dickens novel.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Eason the Fifth posted:

Watterson said what he wanted to say and went out at the top of his game with a comic strip so good it not only influenced entire generations of people but changed what the medium was capable of

Which Calvin and Hobbes volume do I get for my nieces this Christmas?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

About that:

https://twitter.com/kunley_drukpa/status/1726412605672005663?t=p5DmTt4lILWYVxC6D0P4zg&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait so this guy has tantric sex with his dogs whom he calls his children?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Guy's name didn't ring a bell until I read "tantric sex" and "cloned dogs", pretty sure John Oliver did a whole bit on the guy

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes https://a.co/d/g3BeKR3

I bought that in hardback for my son 4 years ago or so and he still talks about what a great gift it was.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

M_Gargantua posted:

All of them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

El Mero Mero posted:

Every interview I've ever listened to her on has left me exasperated on her behalf.

Your word power word of the day is Fremdschämen!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

We probably should've known, but

https://twitter.com/SnoopDogg/status/1726616549099004309?t=qJiiWV_m3HoJ6GcR7LcWXA&s=19

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

loving lmao

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol

Speaking of which, I bought a bottle of 19 Crimes yesterday to bring to my next bottle share event

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

We've been loving snooped again!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Argh he set the marshmallow on fire that just ruins the whole thing and results in such an inferior treat. Gotta go slow with that kind of thing and brown the outside over time while heating the entire marshmallow to gooey, tasty goodness. This works especially well with my family tradition of roasting Peeps instead of marshmallows. Go slow and caramelize the sugar coating into a wonderful, crunchy shell and then the inside is all melted, delicious diabetes but those are REALLY terrible to set on fire. The sugar coating just turns into carbon and all you taste is burnt terribleness if you aren't going to be patient and put in the work for something good.

Yes I have strong opinions on campfire roasting of foods. Suck it. :colbert:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I ain't even mad

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Lol

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

I ain't even mad

I thought it was either gonna be a line of eddibles or cancer, so this is fine.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I has really hoped it was to market a new line of edibles, tbh.

In actual news: all kinds of corporate shenanigans around OpenAI over the weekend, with the board ousting Altman the CEO with another board member stepping down. Since then apparently another is ready to resign, Altman immediately got a job at Microsoft, and a whole shitpile of OpenAI employees have threatened to walk and/or join MS as well.

Part of me wants their ai to have awakened and arranged a board coup through controlling their emails or some such trashy airport pulp fiction malarkey.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 20, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Legit wonder how good AI is getting at skunkworks and tech company research labs. Not trying to be :tinfoil: but feels like they are slow walking how powerful video/image/audio tools are publicly available, because of the obvious malicious potential, but it’s still wild what’s free. In FB chat they added AI generated stickers & as of this morning it still happily creates images of Zuckerberg & Mickey Mouse kissing.

As this stuff doesn’t have borders wonder how society will deal with anyone being able to use audio AI to make thousands of calls a minute pretending to be Amazon or your bank with enough personalized details to have a high success rate. Wonder if phone calls will just be unusable for any transactions.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

As this stuff doesn’t have borders wonder how society will deal with anyone being able to use audio AI to make thousands of calls a minute pretending to be Amazon or your bank with enough personalized details to have a high success rate. Wonder if phone calls will just be unusable for any transactions.

I don't believe social engineering will improve as a tool against everyday people*. Corporations will have to worry about it, because already emails from bosses saying "I'm in meeting please send 50$ google play" already work randomly. Give those kinds of scams an audio generator trained on a large corporations boss's public speeches and you'd probably end up with the keys to the kingdom eventually.

edit: *The elderly, particularly gullible, and those who don't have enough social anxiety to ignore their phone outside of text messages and known numbers.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 20, 2023

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
My voice is my passport

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
There's a lot of money to be made in a tool that I terraces between cameras, photoshop, and Facebook. All it needs to do is hash and private key the metadata along the way. Take a photo? Your camera signs it with your private key with tags with location and time. Edit a photo? Every stock image you use is listed on a metadata table, with their own metadata and hash. Every filter package used is listed. You sign the result with your private key and now when it shows up on CNN it's got a chain code that confirms who made it and where all the material was sourced from.

It's the dystopian future of content licencing, image sellers want it to trace their products and social media needs it to trace various levels of fakes. Same thing with audio.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno I’m not an expert but feels like it would be trivially easy for someone to set up a program to scour high school and college alumni records, combine those with LinkedIn, then use AI audio to mimic old classmates who are now in a jam or have become financial advisors with great opportunities. Could easily have the voice have the appropriate age & accent, and make it more believable by playing the long game and contacting the person over a period of weeks rather than immediately demanding Best Buy gift cards. The AI could instantly generate whatever websites are needed as “proof,” and while smart goons would be immune the scale of the operation would be printing money.

Feels inevitable as that could be run out of a garage anywhere without needing an office park in India with highly visible call centers. Considering the ridiculously high quality romance scams that already exist that construct entire websites with fake crypto balances seems like this would be simple.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s been really amusing seeing all of the goons try to trash talk the AI/ML advances as simultaneously completely worthless and capable of eliminating all their jobs.

Deep fakes are a terrifying concept that we will see more and more of soon.

GPT can give you imprecise and incorrect information but it can also save you massive amounts of time on a wide variety of tasks

AI art is extremely impressive and nobody outside of forums posters actually cares when half a pinkie is missing, nor expects that to be a problem forever. The ability to imagine some ridiculous concept and see a computer spit out an image of it in a few seconds is incredible.

There’s an element of buzzwordiness and grift going on but the impacts of AI/ML applications hitting the mainstream are very real

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 20, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

There's a lot of money to be made in a tool that I terraces between cameras, photoshop, and Facebook. All it needs to do is hash and private key the metadata along the way. Take a photo? Your camera signs it with your private key with tags with location and time. Edit a photo? Every stock image you use is listed on a metadata table, with their own metadata and hash. Every filter package used is listed. You sign the result with your private key and now when it shows up on CNN it's got a chain code that confirms who made it and where all the material was sourced from.

It's the dystopian future of content licencing, image sellers want it to trace their products and social media needs it to trace various levels of fakes. Same thing with audio.

But where does the blockchain fit in and how can we limit it to proprietary FPGAs that we have huge margin on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s been really amusing seeing all of the goons try to trash talk the AI/ML advances as simultaneously completely worthless and capable of eliminating all their jobs.

Deep fakes are a terrifying concept that we will see more and more of soon.

GPT can give you imprecise and incorrect information but it can also save you massive amounts of time on a wide variety of tasks

AI art is extremely impressive and nobody outside of forums posters actually cares when half a pinkie is missing, nor expects that to be a problem forever. The ability to imagine some ridiculous concept and see a computer spit out an image of it in a few seconds is incredible.

There’s an element of buzzwordiness and grift going on but the impacts of AI/ML applications hitting the mainstream are very real

100%, I’ve been having fun dinking around with an OpenAI account mostly for silly scenarios and whenever they upgrade the version the quality improvement is massive & it’s usually faster & cheaper. When having it write funny sitcom scenarios it gets better at recognizing shows & character relationships when Ross brings a gelatinous cube to Thanksgiving.

It’s frustrating seeing news articles where a foolish lawyer sent in an AI generated brief he didn’t proofread with made up cases & having it declared well clearly AI can’t replace this profession. That’s like saying missile command on the Atari screenshots won’t fool anyone, which is true but Battlefield exists.