Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I wondered why there has been so much squawking lately. I got mince yesterday and went out with Wombaroo today. There are four juveniles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
if i keep refreshing the package tracking, it will arrive faster

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Non Compos Mentis posted:

if i keep refreshing the package tracking, it will arrive faster

'delivery attempted"

*returns via Vladivostok*

Auspost :smug:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Who else learned of the existence of Vladivostok here

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
It's the Cameron Daddo dancers!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

bee posted:

Who else learned of the existence of Vladivostok here

me

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lolie posted:

It turned out to be an issue caused by the dark mode extension I had installed on Chrome. It totally hosed up how gmail and Facebook rendered.

I did take the opportunity to get rid of that stupid copilot AI thing which showed up this morning, though.

Facebook has a native dark mode and I'd be surprised if gmail didn't.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A lot of web apps now have a dark mode that enables automatically if you have set your windows OS to dark, too

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Non Compos Mentis posted:

It's the Cameron Daddo dancers!
Huh, Andrew Daddo is only 56.
I thought he was older than that.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Laserface posted:

Facebook has a native dark mode and I'd be surprised if gmail didn't.

I stopped using their native dark modes when I installed the extension. The extension must have updated in a way which broke some sites. It's all good now.

I'd really like to blame the appearance of Copilot but I think that was just a coincidence.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

I use flux on my desktop for light hygiene stuff, it works pretty well!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

AUSGBS I need your help to make up for the failings of my lovely memory.
Some friends and I are trying to recall what the postmix machines at Pizza Hut dine ins circa the late 90s early 00s had on them.

My best effort from memory was

Pepsi
Pepsi Max
Sunkist
7UP
Some sort of raspberry/red? I want to say Schweppes Raspberry
Something else I can't remember, but I don't think it was Mountain Dew because it was a Big Deal when you started being able to get Mountain Dew at KFC.

And of course you could also get plain soda water out of it if you weren't just mashing every drink into a single plastic pebbled cup like a loving champion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Solo?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

And thus, my celibacy has been assured.

Thanks dad for the cool kit.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 20, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

yeah i think it was always solo when i was a kid

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Just ordered 200ml of nicotine before the door slams shut on personal importation. I've seen the products which are available on prescription in Australian pharmacies and they're expensive and awful.

Fortunately, getting a prescription was painless. I paid $40, filled out a questionnaire, and 15 minutes later had a prescription which is valid for 6 months (importation will be banned before it runs out but I can fill it multiple times between now and the end of the year).

Meanwhile, my legitimately zero nicotine e-juice is currently held up in customs.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

There are some absoulte choice aus politcs gifs in the yospos image thread

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Lolie posted:

Just ordered 200ml of nicotine before the door slams shut on personal importation. I've seen the products which are available on prescription in Australian pharmacies and they're expensive and awful.

Fortunately, getting a prescription was painless. I paid $40, filled out a questionnaire, and 15 minutes later had a prescription which is valid for 6 months (importation will be banned before it runs out but I can fill it multiple times between now and the end of the year).

Meanwhile, my legitimately zero nicotine e-juice is currently held up in customs.

Absolutely cooked, surely this will stop the scourge of kids using already illegal disposable vapes that have been illegal for quite a while and continue to grow in popularity.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Lolie posted:

Are they banning it outright? Thought it was just non prescription based and disposable (seriously gently caress those things) imports.

Either way I did the same a short while back, bought enough to finish up and be hopefully done and dusted entirely.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
God a HD on a uni assessment

47/50 , very happy

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jestery posted:

47/50 , very happy

Smashing it

On another matter, do you still have the witches' curse that prevents you from putting on weight? Stuff like this interests me for some reason

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

EoinCannon posted:

Smashing it

On another matter, do you still have the witches' curse that prevents you from putting on weight? Stuff like this interests me for some reason
Thanks

I've managed to stabilise at 76 kg, but been otherwise unable to get above that , which isn't good but better than ratcheting towards a cliff of underweight

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Jestery posted:

47/50 , very happy

Nice one!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bee posted:

I use flux on my desktop for light hygiene stuff, it works pretty well!

F.lux is great if you're on the computer late at night or soon after waking up. It really takes the glare out of any site or program that doesn't have a good dark mode.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jestery posted:

47/50 , very happy

Nicely done!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Whoforthenwhat posted:

'delivery attempted"

*returns via Vladivostok*

Auspost :smug:

I've got at least three packages that are in Aus post limbo all of a sudden this week.

One scanned into a flight leaving china on the 17th... Then nothing
One scanned clearing customs on the 13th... Then nothing
One picked up from the sender in the eastern states 2 weeks ago but never scanned at a facility

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Are they banning it outright? Thought it was just non prescription based and disposable (seriously gently caress those things) imports.

Either way I did the same a short while back, bought enough to finish up and be hopefully done and dusted entirely.

It will become a pharmacy only item and doctors will only be able to prescribe products approved by the TGA. Right now there is only one approved vape and the prefilled replacement pods are expensive.

Meanwhile you'll still be able to buy as many nicotine lozenges and sprays as you like from the supermarket.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its going to be a rough loving week when the lush berry ice nic vapes are taken off the market and everyone is going cold turkey.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

Lolie posted:

It will become a pharmacy only item and doctors will only be able to prescribe products approved by the TGA. Right now there is only one approved vape and the prefilled replacement pods are expensive.

Meanwhile you'll still be able to buy as many nicotine lozenges and sprays as you like from the supermarket.

Or go to any Servo, supermarket etc and buy a pack of smokes.

Not that im suggesting that. It's just hilarious that vapes are getting slammed hard when you can go buy a pack of smokes with no effort. Black market smokes for a shitload cheaper than retail are still very much around too and probably still get imported by the truckload.

I do expect ciggies to have a spike in usage (or school kids will switch to snuff or dip or something else) when the ban starts to cut down supply. Before vapes existed we all just smoked, it's not going to go away any time soon and an alternate will pop up I have no doubt.

Australia just loves to ban poo poo instead of regulating it, but it's too far gone now to try to regulate and the pearl clutchers would hate that.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Phillip Morris wins again

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Yea black market shops have popped up everywhere around here recently, everyones back on the cheap darts

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Phillip morris owns a bunch of vaping crap. Lol if anyone thought the cunts would just go fair cop we're boned and slowly fade into the sunset.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Within about a year of each other 3 separate franchise tobacconists have opened up here which makes no sense. Are they planning to transition into weed shops when it's legal? Are they fronts?

There's no possibly enough business for them. Two of them are always empty and one of them only does any business because they also do lotto and it's in the mall.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Carth Dookie posted:

Phillip Morris wins again

Yeh isn't this the dominant corporations using their state power to try and suppress the newer vape corps? Sure there might be some trad tobacco that got some vapes going, but there's probably so much invested in tobaccos production and distribution that it's in their financial interests to tweak their bought politicians.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bald Stalin posted:

Yeh isn't this the dominant corporations using their state power to try and suppress the newer vape corps? Sure there might be some trad tobacco that got some vapes going, but there's probably so much invested in tobaccos production and distribution that it's in their financial interests to tweak their bought politicians.

I suspect so. Makes business sense to suppress until they're positioned to monopolize. They're still flogging darts so they can lobby to keep the vapes out until they're the only game in town.

Pivoting to vapes is a logical step for Tobacco companies. They can still sell addictive poo poo while killing their customers less, and vaping is socially popular in a way that cigarettes aren't anymore.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 22, 2023

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Within about a year of each other 3 separate franchise tobacconists have opened up here which makes no sense. Are they planning to transition into weed shops when it's legal? Are they fronts?

There's no possibly enough business for them. Two of them are always empty and one of them only does any business because they also do lotto and it's in the mall.

Around here I know of two that can't have opened up any sooner than two-three weeks ago, a street away from each other. There's barely anything in them compared to the ones that have been around for a bit, just basically open floor space , an L shaped counter and a sparse set of shelves stocked with imported american sweets/cereal.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Just quit ya druggos

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I know at least one of them didn’t have an abn nor was it paying tax when it first opened. Someone may have dobbed them in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Whoforthenwhat posted:

Australia just loves to ban poo poo instead of regulating it, but it's too far gone now to try to regulate and the pearl clutchers would hate that.

It's probably a net negative for society that the wowsers were right about tobacco all along.

(too bad nicotene has been tarred with the same brush)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Don’t forget you can still lawfully buy snus from OS. My buddy was hit up for tax when it went through customs the first time but after switching to the alternate courier postage option says it always slips through undetected.

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2008/188/1/should-australia-lift-its-ban-low-nitrosamine-smokeless-tobacco-products

Edit: join https://asaca.org.au/ if you want change to the vaping laws https://x.com/alexwodak/status/1726787201286254909?s=61&t=0JZcRltCkkWUPOYIuINbjQ

Whoforthenwhat posted:

I do expect ciggies to have a spike in usage (or school kids will switch to snuff or dip or something else) when the ban starts to cut down supply.

Yeah the international research suggests that vaping restrictions have a pro smoking effect:

quote:

Tobacco purchases rise following restrictions on e-cigarette sales

https://ysph.yale.edu/news-article/tobacco-purchases-rise-following-restrictions-on-e-cigarette-sales/

quote:

Studies have found that policies intended to restrict e-cigarette use may have unintentionally increased cigarette smoking. One study associated a Minnesota e-cigarette tax with increased adult smoking and reduced cessation, estimating that taxing e-cigarettes at the same rate as cigarettes nationwide could deter 2.75 million smokers from quitting smoking over a decade.85 Two other studies found state restrictions on minors’ access to e-cigarettes associated with higher adolescent cigarette smoking.86,87
https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/full/10.2105/AJPH.2021.306416

Having said that, cannabis is a prescription only drug and no one I know has any trouble buying nonprescription cannabis.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 22, 2023