Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Deadpool 3 will probably do well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It’s gonna do gangbusters. People like Reynolds as Deadpool and Jackman as Wolverine. The icing on the cake will be all the alleged Fox X-Men actors that are supposed to be in it, and get brutally killed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well yeah, but Deadpool barely feels like a marvel film. More just a comedy that happens to be set in the MCU. But for as long as those films continue to be funny I can see people still going to see them. Honestly just as far as comedy series go they've seem to hold up pretty well. Comedy series are for whatever reason seem to be hard to pull off.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
I'm guessing whenever they decide to pit Tom Holland Spiderman against Tom Hardy Venom they'll have a big hit on their hand.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sourdough Sam posted:

I'm guessing whenever they decide to pit Tom Holland Spiderman against Tom Hardy Venom Bronson they'll have a big hit on their hand.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

How have Ryan Renolds recent non-Deadpool movies fared at the box office?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Outside Deadpool he mostly does streaming things these days - 6 Underground, Red Notice, The Adam Project. Free Guy was theatrical though and I think that did OK.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 20, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Internet says that Free Guy made 331 million bucks and a sequel is in the works.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Reynolds is also part of the Fast & Furious universe, albeit a minor one so far.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

The MSJ posted:

Reynolds is also part of the Fast & Furious universe, albeit a minor one so far.

What does he voice one of the cars or something?

(I'm still not quite sure how stupid that series has gotten. Last time I asked someone said they made it to space?)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

dr_rat posted:

(I'm still not quite sure how stupid that series has gotten. Last time I asked someone said they made it to space?)

He played a government agent friend of Hobbes (The Rock) in Hobbes & Shaw.

No way he wouldn't play a bigger part if that gets a sequel.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

dr_rat posted:

Ludacris went to space in Fast 9, but honestly they didn't really do much with it; they strapped a rocket to his space-sealed (?) car and he had to hack a satellite or something. If you're going to go to space you should at least have a scene where somebody drives a car on the moon or something.

Fasts 5-7 were pretty solid action movies, especially 5, but I caught 9 on a plane and didn't end up seeing the most recent one. Apparently they brought back Gal Gadot's character, which I think means that now no character has ever died.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rochallor posted:

Ludacris went to space in Fast 9, but honestly they didn't really do much with it; they strapped a rocket to his space-sealed (?) car and he had to hack a satellite or something. If you're going to go to space you should at least have a scene where somebody drives a car on the moon or something.

They rammed the satellite because they failed to hack it. Then they knocked on the ISS airlock door to get a ride home.

You forget to mention that it was the Tokyo Drift main characters who created the space car.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rochallor posted:

If you're going to go to space you should at least have a scene where somebody drives a car on the moon or something.
:hmmyes:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Gal gadot and the rock likely had to beg their way back to the franchise after their respective wb / dc bombs

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah what is up with The Rock, I feel like he’s fizzling

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Professor Shark posted:

Lsst time I cared to notice, he was hawking a Moana live action remake.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Has any animated film to live action remake yet been anything but trash?

The closest I can think is Alice and wonderland, but I don't think this really counts as a live action remake of the Disney animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK_l74cSPGY&t=378s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

How have Ryan Renolds recent non-Deadpool movies fared at the box office?

At this point Reynolds can just do whatever he wants because he is mega rich after his companies got bought out.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

So many kids were reading those books, then the popularity died almost overnight. My school has tons of copies of them that no one is interested in.

Gens Z and Alpha took one look at their future and decided they had enough post apocalyptic dystopia in their lives.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Professor Shark posted:

He sucks rear end now, everyone's sick of his one-note performances and he makes terrible choices. Crazy that someone from the wrestling world doesn't get that he needs to take a few losses onscreen occasionally.

muscles like this! posted:

At this point Reynolds can just do whatever he wants because he is mega rich after his companies got bought out.

His football team* needs new shoes :smith:

(* Brought to you by Aviation Gin, Mint, Expedia, Betty Buzz and TikTok)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gonz posted:

It’s gonna do gangbusters. People like Reynolds as Deadpool and Jackman as Wolverine. The icing on the cake will be all the alleged Fox X-Men actors that are supposed to be in it, and get brutally killed.

According to tiktok T Swift is good to be a surprise Dazzler cameo which will spin off into her being in the MCU.

I really hate that my partner is down T Swift tiktok and I'm exposed to the insanity of Swifties

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

dr_rat posted:

Has any animated film to live action remake yet been anything but trash?

I thought The Jungle Book was fine, but with the caveat that I don't really remember a lot of the original, and after seeing the remake once I've never felt the need to watch it again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Does Pete's Dragon count? That one was really good. I thought Jungle Book was pretty decent too.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

dr_rat posted:

Other than the next spider-verse film is there any marvel movie that people actually seem excited for?

Used to hear people talk about them endless, but now fortunately no one seems to be bringing them up. Sure with the writers strike there's been a pause, but it does feel like after endgame and the last guardians films people just started feeling like it's all done, and Marvel are going to have to actually try again to get people to start caring about them again on mass like they used to.

Captain America 1-3 have all been solid so I'll keep having hope for 4, even with burnout on the films

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Maybe he’ll get desperate enough to try acting for once.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, for as much "the only place left for the series to go is outer space" jokes there were, the actual execution wasn't anything big.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

dr_rat posted:

Other than the next spider-verse film is there any marvel movie that people actually seem excited for?

Used to hear people talk about them endless, but now fortunately no one seems to be bringing them up. Sure with the writers strike there's been a pause, but it does feel like after endgame and the last guardians films people just started feeling like it's all done, and Marvel are going to have to actually try again to get people to start caring about them again on mass like they used to.

There was some excitement for Kang as the next big bad of the MCU, but then welp.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the idea of Onslaught and then just ending it for a while. They can come back during the next cycle with fresh new actors and call it a new universe thing

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

mycot posted:

I mean it's like Harry Potter, or even LOTR to tie this to the earlier Hobbit conversation. For the vast majority of people, the series ended so they dipped when it was over. They enjoyed it while it was going on, but they don't care to see the secret story of Dumbledore's long lost brother or the winner of the previous Hunger Games or whatever.

That's basically what happened with the MCU. Yeah, there's a lot more stories, but the big Infinity Stones one ended.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1726624624862212129?t=w48hqX9bn52eeoUL3dS4jQ&s=19

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There was some excitement for Kang as the next big bad of the MCU, but then welp.

I heard they're pivoting to Kodos

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDsIoEFYw&t=188s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i can't believe it took this long to make that joke

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

They should just replace Jonathan Majors with Christopher Plummer Tig Notaro

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Michael B Jordan

would be really meta

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Byzantine posted:

That's basically what happened with the MCU. Yeah, there's a lot more stories, but the big Infinity Stones one ended.

I think it's this. Most people don't actually want to be on an endless narrative treadmill. They got folks to commit to a larger than average epic, and they stuck the landing fairly well. Even if the following movies had been excellent, I think a lot of people still would have taken the opportunity for an offramp regardless.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Should of done the classic soap opera thing, always have at least one story just starting, one developing and one story hitting it's peak and resolving.

Never give your audience an easy escape!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

[voiceover] For this episode, the role of Kang The Conqueror will be played by Michael Shanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
you are right,Daniel Jackson should be Kang!