Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Multigenerational households are so much better than the western dream of a one-family private home

Being crammed together in a small apartment in Astana sounds worse than having a fancy USA apartment but hell no. Everyone loves each other,

Lol. Lmao, even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Multigenerational households are so much better than the western dream of a one-family private home

Being crammed together in a small apartment in Astana sounds worse than having a fancy USA apartment but hell no. Everyone loves each other, breakfast and dinner are Events. It reminds me oh right, we are a social species.

My niece gets to play with my babies, I pay rent by doing sous-chef and basic cleaning duties instead of some landlord bullshit, five different people are down for babysitting if me and my wife wanna go out, it’s just so good

I mean if this life is what you want, then good on you, brother, but I would very much not enjoy that. I am not a social species.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My unpopular opinion is that the proper amount of milk for cereal is to just moisten it. If your cereal is swimming in milk that's too much milk

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My unpopular opinion is that if your cereal needs milk at all to be edible, it’s not worth eating.

Dry cereal 4 lyfe :getin:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Killingyouguy! posted:

Lol. Lmao, even

It was mentioned in the boomer thread, that baby boomers were one of the first generations to be able to really start to recognize being in a toxic family relationship and having the financial means to escape. Unfortunately this helped to reinforce a more atomized society in which the end goal was being as isolated as possible from anyone and never having to compromise or share anything.

Living as a collective group puts more social demands on individuals with regard to making compromises about space, personal time, resources, labor etc. The people with the boomer mentality can't really envision a hierarchy where they don't aspire to be at the top so they'll shun such living situations.

Not every family is the ideal for multi generational households but in the current economic climate the alternative is still often even worse.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Might be the best spin I’ve ever seen put on “moved back in with my parents”.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warhammer 40k has better lore because they’ve had 3+ decades to develop it, but for the past three or four years, the stuff coming out for Age of Sigmar has been way more interesting than the stuff for 40k. Give it another decade, AoS will be the better setting.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'd like to believe you, but sci-fi is inherently better than fantasy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blue Moonlight posted:

My unpopular opinion is that if your cereal needs milk at all to be edible, it’s not worth eating.

Dry cereal 4 lyfe :getin:

I eat cereal with yoghurt. One part cereal to two parts yoghurt (by weight). It softens a little but stays crunchy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Aramek posted:

Sci fi is just fantasy with specious reasoning.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Sci fi is just fantasy with specious reasoning.

Scifi is fantasy with cooler aesthetics :colbert:

My milquetoast opinion is fantasy stuff is just so boring. The aesthetics just fall totally flat for me and just make me feel like I'm at a really uncomfortable renfair or something.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

ishikabibble posted:

Scifi is fantasy with cooler aesthetics :colbert:

My milquetoast opinion is fantasy stuff is just so boring. The aesthetics just fall totally flat for me and just make me feel like I'm at a really uncomfortable renfair or something.

They almost always feel like an excuse to shoehorn in a weird fetish or just moving backwards from a ‘cool idea’ that just ends up with a deus ex machina driven plot like solving a cereal hox maze by going backward. Sometimes both, in the case of the ‘60s San Fran Sci Fantasy pedo scene.

And I don’t hate all fantasy or all sci fi, but wow does it seem to harbor some of the worst writing of terrible people this side of economic theory.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

If western fantasy had more historically authentic aesthetics it would at least look visually interesting but everything just looks generic. D&D 3e defined an aesthetic that was meant to be timeless but wound up just being kind of boring comic booky, in a lazy movie costume design sort of way. And western fantasy continues to take cues from that in varying degrees.

It's rare to find Witcher 3-tier historical authenticity (it's just medieval Poland with monsters and elves) or design clarity and cohesion like that of the LotR movies. A lot of that is budget but some of that is just a lack of creative spark.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Imagining having to grow up in a single household with my extended family... yeah, probably would've killed myself.

Or died from covid+horse drugs if I made it that far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aramek posted:

The problem is that 40k is hidebound, most of the new models it gets these days are just updates of old models. The most exciting actually new model to come out for 40k this year is this guy

Meanwhile in AoS, Flesh Eater Courts are getting this big expansion with brand new units like these guys

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The most fantastical and alien setting Tolkien could conceive of is essentially rural Ireland. He was THAT English.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's never been a good fantasy. Even for the best in the genre, the most that can be said is "this would have been better as a straight up historical novel instead of trying to conceal that it is a historical novel". Previously mentioned was Sapkowski - he eventually graduated to historical fiction, and it's no wonder.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Silmarillion stuff is much more alien, part of the theme of the greater work is the world falling over and over into a state that's closer to the world we are in.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

There's never been a good fantasy. Even for the best in the genre, the most that can be said is "this would have been better as a straight up historical novel instead of trying to conceal that it is a historical novel". Previously mentioned was Sapkowski - he eventually graduated to historical fiction, and it's no wonder.

I liked the first five Amber books but haven’t reread them since Zelazny died so they may very well not hold up. I would argue he was a good author altogether though — I do still reread Night in Lonesome October, Lord of Light, and his non-Chronicles short stories fairly often.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also, any"good non-historical fantasy" you may come up with is actually sci-fi in disguise for reasons I won't be clarifying :agesilaus:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Also, any"good non-historical fantasy" you may come up with is actually sci-fi in disguise for reasons I won't be clarifying :agesilaus:

2001 and Star Wars are fantasy. Dune is scifi.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And sometimes you straight up put magic and fantasy into your historical fiction. See: Luo Guanzhong

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Tolkien’s trick to good fantasy was that he was curious and had actual artistic goals beyond ‘swords are cool’. It has almost never been replicated.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

War and industry alike rob us of our humanity --------------------------------------------------->

Wow cool sword!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

Dorohedoro and Delicious in Dungeon both prove you wrong.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Late sleepers make me sad. Get up! You're missing the best part of the day!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I prefer fantasy to scifi because swords are cooler than guns

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I'd much rather watch a bad, but weird movie than a good one that follows a formulaic structure.

I'm also not partial to Sci-fi or Fantasy as long as it's very loving weird and not dnd/Star Wars but with a few slight differences.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

fantasy when it's really good is a linguistic paradise

sci fi when it's really good is cutting social commentary on the nature of humanity, gender, biology, etc.

LOTR is still the height of fantasy. Sci fi has LeGuin and Butler

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

alexandriao posted:

fantasy when it's really good is a linguistic paradise

Ah, a Heterogenia Linguistico fan

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gripweed posted:

The problem is that 40k is hidebound, most of the new models it gets these days are just updates of old models. The most exciting actually new model to come out for 40k this year is this guy

Meanwhile in AoS, Flesh Eater Courts are getting this big expansion with brand new units like these guys

I've got no skin in this game (:haw:) but the 40K one is infinitely more interesting to me than all the rest of them, although "intestine powdered wig" is pretty loving good. Trolls/Orcs/Goblins/etc. using limbs, skulls, and corpses as part of their gear and decorating, it's hard to get excited about that.

But sniper dude on big stilts? That owns, I wanna know everything there is to know about that because what the gently caress? Presumably a sniper that's literally wading through battle taking potshots at important targets? In one of the most suicidal means of transportation for both close combatants and ranged combatants?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ordo Mechanicus found a use for Corporal Deadeye Babylegs

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

alexandriao posted:

sci fi when it's really good is cutting social commentary on the nature of humanity, gender, biology, etc.

No thank you. Give me Big loving Cool Ideas (#alastairReynoldsGang) over social studies everyday.

Issaries has a new favorite as of 05:48 on Nov 21, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

bawk posted:

I've got no skin in this game (:haw:) but the 40K one is infinitely more interesting to me than all the rest of them, although "intestine powdered wig" is pretty loving good. Trolls/Orcs/Goblins/etc. using limbs, skulls, and corpses as part of their gear and decorating, it's hard to get excited about that.

But sniper dude on big stilts? That owns, I wanna know everything there is to know about that because what the gently caress? Presumably a sniper that's literally wading through battle taking potshots at important targets? In one of the most suicidal means of transportation for both close combatants and ranged combatants?

He's just one of the regular guys but with stilts for legs and a sniper rifle

And the other guys aren't trolls, orcs, or goblins, they're just and noble warriors. In their own minds they aren't covered in corpse bits, they're covered in elegant finery.

edit: also that sniper is going to cost like 35 dollars but only be like 35 points in game, so it's just making Mechanicus a somehow even more expensive army to collect

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Late sleepers make me sad. Get up! You're missing the best part of the day!

Actually the best part of the day is after the sun has gone down, all the day's work is done, and you have the entire evening to relax. You're wasting it sleeping.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Fantasy is at its best when it’s a shirtless musclebound guy swinging his sword at a dragon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Actually the best part of the day is after the sun has gone down, all the day's work is done, and you have the entire evening to relax. You're wasting it sleeping.

See this is exactly the sort of silly stuff a vampire says. The pre-dawn has all the beauty except no one's around and there's nothing to do, it's just you, the stars, and the slow sunrise before you have to face the day.

Perhaps my actual unpopular opinion is considering like 3 to be "morning" not "late" but I am correct

unrelatedly, space marines are the best set of factions and Emperor's Children are the best space marines

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

no one's around and there's nothing to do
How is that a good thing?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Tiggum posted:

How is that a good thing?

It's the only time he can get away from his big loud family he's crammed in with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
The name "Alvin and The Chipmunks" implies that Alvin himself is not a chipmunk.

So what exactly is he? Some sort of mutant? A replicant? What dark secret is Alvin hiding under that hoodie?!

...also, would you lend that guy twenty bucks and expect to get it back?