Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
It's kind of incredible that Hathaway and WfM had such stunning visuals and now this just looks like dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I really enjoy Kira's completely gormless :O face at the beginning.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The mobile suits look good at least. The lineart doesn't sell me but in motion it's a definite step up for CGI mech animation.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

GodFish posted:

Alternative read is that Reccoa wanted to gently caress and Char, a man who simply has never and will never gently caress is unable or unwilling to do so, leaving her unsatisfied. He has the vibes of a man that does not gently caress.

I definitely got the vibe of not enough sex but I think maybe he hosed a few times during the honeymoon period. Maybe that was just foreplay tho.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Waffleman_ posted:

god it looks even worse in motion

Apprentice Dick posted:

It's kind of incredible that Hathaway and WfM had such stunning visuals and now this just looks like dogshit.

Looks like Hirai wasn't the only one phoning it in. I do now darkly wonder how much Sunrise really cares about this product, given every single promotional thing about it has just been red flags down the line. I'm entirely willing to be proven wrong, but given literally every single thing that's come out about this film has looked bleak...

Somewhere, Shindo Naomi is breathing a sigh of relief for dodging this bullet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, I'd say the animators are definitely not phoning it in which is part of the problem. These bad designs are being moved too fluidly which just kinda makes their faces warp way more than they should

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Omnicrom posted:

Looks like Hirai wasn't the only one phoning it in. I do now darkly wonder how much Sunrise really cares about this product, given every single promotional thing about it has just been red flags down the line. I'm entirely willing to be proven wrong, but given literally every single thing that's come out about this film has looked bleak...

Somewhere, Shindo Naomi is breathing a sigh of relief for dodging this bullet.

What red flags have there been that aren’t red flags to anyone who already doesn’t like Gundam Seed?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I kind of regretted the phrase as I went on with the post. "Violence sucks, but it's sometimes necessary" is a Gundam staple, after all. (I actually thought about the scene in War in the Pocket where the professor talks about how war is sometimes a necessary evil)

That said, I also agree with you that IBO makes it more explicit. There, the protagonists engaging in violence is presented as an escalation rather than a default. But even that is something that 00 plays with in that Celestial Being often makes situations go hot in order to shut them down. I'd say that Iron Blooded Orphans feels more comfortable with the idea its heroes could be the villains from another prospective, but at the same time, 00 presents a more complicated situation in many ways.

The biggest difference is that 00 and Tominian Gundam are essentially Idealist whereas IBO and much of modern Gundam is essentially materialist.

When IBO plays with demonic or Faustian themes it must do it in the same way Mann does in Doctor Faustus, the soul becomes a pure metaphor for the biological machine and its tendency can skew either towards the animalistic/demonic or towards the human.

00 is less comfortable with the idea of violence because the story is contingent on the transcension of the human into a further form; doing so makes violence more tricky to deal with because violence itself is an aspect that needs to be discarded to attain that.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

God those lips.

I understand people have been saying stuff like that since the designs were revealed but it's the only thing I can pay attention to on the screen.

God those lips.

They make every female character look like they aged a decade, which clashes horribly with the male characters looking nigh identical.

God, those lips. Why.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

What red flags have there been that aren’t red flags to anyone who already doesn’t like Gundam Seed?

I mean you can start with the cast. They have now shown off a lot of characters that are bizarrely bad looking and/or have weird bad proportions that are significantly worse than the stuff that Hisashi Hirai actually did for the original SEED series. Also there are something like a dozen of said new characters, many of whom are supposed to be very important to the plot while also sharing the screen with basically every single other surviving characters (plus possibly some who were supposed to have died) which suggests it is going to be an incredibly overstuffed production. And more evidence for that come straight from an interview with the director himself flat out said that the story would be hard to follow, that it would be fast-paced but be incredibly full of information, that the audience would probably not understand the movie, and that you would probably have to see it multiple times and/or look up a summary/explanation on the Internet to understand what was happening in the film.

Even if I was absolutely in love with CE Gundam I would be very concerned about the state of the movie given all that.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 19, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Looks kinda bad for 2023 the same way SEED looked kinda bad for 2003.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
The movie being very complex and requiring multiple viewings is a green flag.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Gundam SEED Freedom.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gripweed posted:

The movie being very complex and requiring multiple viewings is a green flag.

Means more ticket sales obviously

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Maybe they'll finally innovate film with a battle pass

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Having read over the Gundam wiki a bit yesterday, I was darkly amused the Rau Le Creuset has a fairly detailed backstory, while Rey just has "another Al Da Flaga clone...and that's it." Pretty much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rey is honestly a pretty decent character. He's a clone, but for the majority of the series that doesn't matter at all. He's the calm and collected foil to Shinn's brashness, but he's also Shinn's ride or die buddy who is willing to bend the rules to help Shinn if needed and isn't afraid to take a hit because of it, like when he helps Shinn bust Stellar out and they get thrown in the brig for it. Him just kind of randomly going down the crazy clone mental breakdown path at the end was fairly disappointing and did nothing with everything the character had been up to that point.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The worst part about SEED freedom is that we're all having fun dunking on it, but it's eventually going to come out, be terrible, and be forgotten. The state it is in now, that of non existence but with odious omens is the perfect state for it as an entertainment item

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Nah it’s going to be an entertaining movie. And if we’re luckily it will spur more manga and OVA exploring the CE universe.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Nah it’s going to be an entertaining movie. And if we’re luckily it will spur more manga and OVA exploring the CE universe.

At minimum, everything shown so far suggests that Shinn is going to be hotheaded and ill-mannered, so that might be fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

'Gundan SEED Freedom smashes all box office records. All anime is now required to give everyone giant lips'

Edit: Jokes aside, I think that viewing anything we've seen as a 'huge red flag' just kind of involves disliking SEED more than anything that has actually been said or shown. Literally everything that has come out has been boilerplate pre-movie stuff except the terrible terrible character designs and I think we're all well past the point where we can pretend to be shocked that people like Hirai designs for some godforsaken reason.

I've no confidence in it being anything better than mediocre but SEED has a lot of fans and a nostalgia-bait reunion movie is probably going to sell pretty well to people who grew up watching SEED.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 20, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll watch it for curiosity's sake. After that the only upcoming gundam thing we've seen footage for is the fully CGI series and that's not really grabbing my attention. Freedom at least offers some passing interest.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm expecting to be disappointed by SEED:F and would love to be surprised by it.
SEED has led to some amazing models/kits if nothing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

not going to lie I have no opinions about it either way even if I enjoyed people dunking on the previewed character designs

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

'Gundan SEED Freedom smashes all box office records. All anime is now required to give everyone giant lips'

Edit: Jokes aside, I think that viewing anything we've seen as a 'huge red flag' just kind of involves disliking SEED more than anything that has actually been said or shown. Literally everything that has come out has been boilerplate pre-movie stuff except the terrible terrible character designs and I think we're all well past the point where we can pretend to be shocked that people like Hirai designs for some godforsaken reason.

I've no confidence in it being anything better than mediocre but SEED has a lot of fans and a nostalgia-bait reunion movie is probably going to sell pretty well to people who grew up watching SEED.

I mean, all the dunking has been stuff that's new or above and beyond the extremely well-known Hirai quantity. First it was the bobbleheads, then it was the naturally-occurring Coordinator lip treatments.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The biggest difference is that 00 and Tominian Gundam are essentially Idealist whereas IBO and much of modern Gundam is essentially materialist.

When IBO plays with demonic or Faustian themes it must do it in the same way Mann does in Doctor Faustus, the soul becomes a pure metaphor for the biological machine and its tendency can skew either towards the animalistic/demonic or towards the human.

00 is less comfortable with the idea of violence because the story is contingent on the transcension of the human into a further form; doing so makes violence more tricky to deal with because violence itself is an aspect that needs to be discarded to attain that.

My issue with 00's depiction of violence is how it seems torn between presenting Celestial Being as a flawed organization of broken people that try to act as a necessary evil to atone for their sins and making sure they don't do anything really bad.

Like, Al destroying his super soldier program, that's dynamite. It's taking a very morally complicated situation, having the heroes make a horrific choice for a clear wider good that ties into the personal arcs in a great way. But then the show keeps trying to downplay it, with the scene of Sergei saying how it's a good thing, and having the only person he actually cared about be safely away, and how Soma abandons any vengeance motive really fast once they confront each other. I felt like 00 was a weaker show than it could be because of decisions like that. It wants the viewer to question the heroes, it wants them to question themselves, but it gets cold feet when it does. Which is a shame, because when the show's on its game, (which the Super Soldier episode mostly is!) it has a compelling central conflict where we're encouraged as viewers to question our sympathies and the moral decisions involved.

It's also something where Iron Blooded Orphans contrasts with it, because it embraces the morally shaky territory that 00 sometimes flirts with. Tekkadan is allowed to do Bad Things without comment or the show excusing it, instead having characters around to go "Even if this is necessary, this is hosed up".

Comes naturally with the territory, of course. Celestial Being is meant to become messianic (especially Setsuna) while Tekkadan was always meant to die, and probably die badly, but it's something where I felt like 00 taking a half-measure made its conflicts less interesting.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gaius Marius posted:

The worst part about SEED freedom is that we're all having fun dunking on it, but it's eventually going to come out, be terrible, and be forgotten. The state it is in now, that of non existence but with odious omens is the perfect state for it as an entertainment item

It being forgotten would be the neutral outcome. The bad outcome is that it's bad, and then shows up in every SRW and crossover gundam game for the forseeable future instead of something cool like WFM. Just an unfortunate vestigial limb attached to everything for a few years until something newer comes out to sell more gunpla.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

My issue with 00's depiction of violence is how it seems torn between presenting Celestial Being as a flawed organization of broken people that try to act as a necessary evil to atone for their sins and making sure they don't do anything really bad.

I would imagine at least some of this was at the insistence of executives who wanted to sell merchandise of these characters, if the changes to the tone in season 2 are any indication

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile here we are buying school shooter mechs after WfM :3

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I feel like it's easier for people to forgive a cute troubled girl than a cute troubled boy.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

to me, the big red flag is less what we've seen (because as lolworthy as hirai-face is, people will still put up with it), but what we've been told

like, fukada allegedly saying "uh yeah the movie is... complex so you'll need to watch it multiple times to actually get it" does not inspire one shred of confidence at all

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Gundam Seed haters aghast at the idea of a movie demanding something from the audience

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I mean, G-Reco demanded something from the audience too, and as much as that owned, it still had Tomino of all people being like "okay I may have went a little too far in a few places"

I’m going to have doubts that the director of Gundam Seed Destiny and creative director of Cross Ange can pull this off

MechaX fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 20, 2023

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It being forgotten would be the neutral outcome. The bad outcome is that it's bad, and then shows up in every SRW and crossover gundam game for the forseeable future instead of something cool like WFM. Just an unfortunate vestigial limb attached to everything for a few years until something newer comes out to sell more gunpla.

In anything that needs to put characters in a narrative context like SRW, SEED Freedom will be a slam dunk of "all your favourite SEED characters are here, with versions of their iconic robots" while also only having a movie's worth of story to involve; it's not like the original SEED being the popular one stopped them using Destiny all the time because it has the beloved SEED leads plus more. In stuff like G Generation, everything is in anyway, Freedom will just get to have greater fidelity because there's fewer battles in a movie to adapt into video game, and obviously the likes of EXVS will include new stuff when they can because that's More Mobile Suits.

Whether a given game includes The Latest Main SEED Thing wouldn't really impact whether they also use Witch From Mercury and the like, this just changes The Latest Main SEED Thing from Destiny to Freedom. More different Gundams appeals more to franchise-wide Gundam fans but also hits the distinct CE/UC/this AU/that AU fans who don't care for the other Gundams, a new SEED movie will give more reason to put SEED in but that doesn't really impact the financial decisions between if a different Gundam is in this given crossover.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe because I watched destiny while in high school and/or actually like Shinn as a character,, but I'm going to at least enjoy Shinn not getting dunked on at every opportunity by the main cast and him being a proper good guy again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Like, Al destroying his super soldier program, that's dynamite. It's taking a very morally complicated situation, having the heroes make a horrific choice for a clear wider good that ties into the personal arcs in a great way. But then the show keeps trying to downplay it, with the scene of Sergei saying how it's a good thing, and having the only person he actually cared about be safely away, and how Soma abandons any vengeance motive really fast once they confront each other. I felt like 00 was a weaker show than it could be because of decisions like that. It wants the viewer to question the heroes, it wants them to question themselves, but it gets cold feet when it does. Which is a shame, because when the show's on its game, (which the Super Soldier episode mostly is!) it has a compelling central conflict where we're encouraged as viewers to question our sympathies and the moral decisions involved.

The super soldier program is the singular most heinously hosed up and evil thing anyone in the entire show has going on in 00S1, so it's not terribly surprising or inconsistent that the extremely positively portrayed sympathetic antagonist character Sergei goes "yeah maybe it was a good thing that the orphan grinder got blown up", because we're supposed to like him and him being annoyed or angry that Allelujah blew up the orphan grinder would be weird in that context.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1726628921515663766?t=FeHalPJm1itIU5_OOnyBbQ&s=19

Turn A and the Greco movies are coming to Gundaminfo down the line.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

That’s huge; more people need to see Turn A period and the G-Reco movies I heard are the best way to watch the series, plus they’re still obscenely expensive blu rays only available overseas

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I've really wanted to watch the Greco films since I saw the updated visuals for the photon torpedo scene, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I'll need to get a VPN though because gently caress Canada and anyone not in the USA, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If SRW30's treatment of Narrative is anything to go by, the SRW treatment of SEED:F will actually make the story enjoyable and develop the characters further than the movie did.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1726628921515663766?t=FeHalPJm1itIU5_OOnyBbQ&s=19

Turn A and the Greco movies are coming to Gundaminfo down the line.

I haven't seen G-Reco since it aired, so I'm looking forward to this.