Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Japan puts corn, mayo, cabbage, and pickles on pizza.

No matter how bad your local pizza scene is, the rest of the world can unite in declaring them the worst local pizza variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saladman posted:

I really want to know why they didn’t colonize Doggerland, and how they controlled Finland when it was under 2000 meters of ice. I guess something like the Antarctic civilization in Barjavel’s La Nuit des Temps?

E: apparently huge parts of Finland were underwater in 7000 BC - I guess that’s what ended their civilization, glacial flooding and sea level rise (until post-glacial rebound took it above sea level later). Truly we should invest more in studying that ancient culture to see how we can avoid our civilization collapsing due to sea level rise.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Baltic_History_5000-BC.svg

E2: huh, still rising by 4 mm/yr. I guess the Finns and Swedes are safe to keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

The entirety of Finland is underwater today, yet it doesn't stop people from living there either... If you believe the "official narratives"

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

No matter how bad your local pizza scene is, the rest of the world can unite in declaring them the worst local pizza variety.

https://x.com/melonconsumer/status/1522416742965952515?s=20

love all four of those things individually but good god that as a combination, on a pizza no less. there's some other post that showcases like 10 different just-as-sickening combinations from the island as well. there's no end to their madness.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 20, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its the new fedex arrow

Archduke Frantz Fanon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 20, 2023

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

its the new fedex arrow

what am i supposed to be looking at here. China's unexplained annexation of tajikistan and kyrgyzstan?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what am i supposed to be looking at here. China's unexplained annexation of tajikistan and kyrgyzstan?

yes. it came up a few pages back and its due to a hosed up blank vector map that everyone seems to be using

tractor fanatic posted:

This is a good example of a bizarrely erroneous series of maps in which China absorbs Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan which you see from time to time. There's a reddit thread about it here but seems like some missing GIS data in a vector map a decade ago has proliferated this odd world of West Turkistan

edit:

You can see comparing to the original that they seem to have added Georgia back in but are still missing Kaliningrad

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Its also weirdly good.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Saladman posted:

I really want to know why they didn’t colonize Doggerland, and how they controlled Finland when it was under 2000 meters of ice. I guess something like the Antarctic civilization in Barjavel’s La Nuit des Temps?

E: apparently huge parts of Finland were underwater in 7000 BC - I guess that’s what ended their civilization, glacial flooding and sea level rise (until post-glacial rebound took it above sea level later). Truly we should invest more in studying that ancient culture to see how we can avoid our civilization collapsing due to sea level rise.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Baltic_History_5000-BC.svg

E2: huh, still rising by 4 mm/yr. I guess the Finns and Swedes are safe to keep pumping CO2 into the atmosphere.

The reason is obviously that your models don't account for the hyperwar and its impact on climate. Doggerland is actually just a deposit of Korean losses and was never an actual landmass.

Also yeah, my wife spent her childhood sailing around Sweden, and having updated maps was quite important because the land raising causes the sea floor topography to change enough that you're gonna hit the bottom if your map is ten years old.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lots of American/Euro pizza varieties have pickles on them, olives and peppers being the most common.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coleslaw and pickles go well on pizza as long as you only put them on once it's baked.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

abelwingnut posted:

love all four of those things individually but good god that as a combination, on a pizza no less. there's some other post that showcases like 10 different just-as-sickening combinations from the island as well. there's no end to their madness.

Foisting Pizza Hut gimmick pizza as Taiwan's "Pizza Culture" seems unfair, but this is a strong contender for worst pizza I've ever seen.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
West Turkestan memes are all the rage over here this month. With more attachment than might be healthy, but everyone sort of sees Kyrgyzstan to be Kazakhstan's little brother. USA/Canada situation.

That plus people being pissed at the whole China-Uyghurstan thing, it is a perfect storm

a map, cuz why not

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Wait until you find out the crazy stuff sabdwiches have on them.

For real,ypu make a piece of bread flat and round amd all of a sudden everyone has an opinion on what can go on top of it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

This is so outlandish and offensive, it’s like Reagan’s plan for peace between the USSR and the USA was "if aliens invaded, we’d put aside our differences and fight the aliens together", but the pizza version.

I think pizza folders, fork and knifers, Hawaiian style, ketchup on top, and even ranch on top pizza lovers can agree on who the common enemy is here. Oreo and squid may be the topping combination that will bring peace to the Middle East.

VVV: That is exactly the point, a common enemy. Maybe it would need to be oreo:squid:pork ribs.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 20, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think you will find that squid is not very popular in Israel

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Veggie pizza is incredibly popular in Israel bc it's not kosher to have meat and dairy together even if the meat is kosher. Learn your mitzvot people. Chili peppers, corn, fancier cheeses, mushrooms, artichoke, the dreaded olive, etc, that's israeli pizza.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Foisting Pizza Hut gimmick pizza as Taiwan's "Pizza Culture" seems unfair, but this is a strong contender for worst pizza I've ever seen.

i've been told non-fast food pizza in taiwan is pretty dire, so...i'm not sure there're any positives to note about their pizza culture. happy to be wrong. there might be some decent stuff down in tainan where the best food is.

that said, if you're in taiwan, why the gently caress would you go for pizza?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Turkic languages? I'm surprised so much of Turkmenistan is shaded, I don't know enough about the country to know why that would be the case.

Anyway, amateur hour

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Main language is Indo European, with light blue being officially recognized language that is not the main one?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BonHair posted:

Main language is Indo European, with light blue being officially recognized language that is not the main one?

Grey is both “not Indo‐European” and “no data”?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BonHair posted:

Does Haitian Creole not count as indo european?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

Very close. It's straight from Wikipedia, here's the legend:

The goon above me raises an interesting point about Haitian Creole, I think it's not counted as Indo-European because apparently its grammar is derived from Volta-Niger West African languages.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Very close. It's straight from Wikipedia, here's the legend:

The goon above me raises an interesting point about Haitian Creole, I think it's not counted as Indo-European because apparently its grammar is derived from Volta-Niger West African languages.

I’m not a linguist but that seems like a weird nitpick - although I guess linguistics is all about nitpicking. Its mutual intelligibility with French is certainly way higher than French and like, Urdu. I can’t understand anything spoken in Haitian, but I can read it reasonably well, the very very rare times I see it written, like on the Miami metro.

Or Wikipedia, assuming this is actually in Haitian ( https://ht.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krey%F2l_ayisyen ) and not like all of the Wiki pages written that were done in a made-up
"Pseudo-Scots" language by some weirdo.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 20, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Créole languages are not classified into typical language families usually. This is more a dumb quirk of the ultimately fake classification system, not a representation of the language.

kreyòl is definitely indo-european and more so french in its lexicon and grammar. I hate speaking in anecdotes but I think it's relevant here- our neighbours at home are haitian. I can speak to them in french and understand kreyòl responses after just getting used to it. We can both switch into proper parisien without much trouble if we want to for some reason.

Saladman posted:

I’m not a linguist but that seems like a weird nitpick - although I guess linguistics is all about nitpicking. Its mutual intelligibility with French is certainly way higher than French and like, Urdu. I can’t understand anything spoken in Haitian, but I can read it reasonably well, the very very rare times I see it written, like on the Miami metro.

Or Wikipedia, assuming this is actually in Haitian ( https://ht.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krey%F2l_ayisyen ) and not like all of the Wiki pages written that were done in a made-up

yes, it's actual kreyòl. It's kind of a big deal that it's being written and taught as a language in its own right, rather than everyone literate learning french and leaving the common tongue spoken-only.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 21, 2023

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Saladman posted:

I'm not a linguist either, but they generally classify languages based on their structural genetic relatedness, which is why English is a Germanic language despite so much of its vocabulary being Romance-derived.

It gets murkier when you're dealing with actual creole languages, and they seem to get put into their own category, but I assume that (if pressed) most linguists wouldn't consider Haitian Creole to be Indo-European since its structural component (i.e. grammar) is Atlantic-Congo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Found a website dedicated to old propaganda, and there are maps.
https://propagandopolis.com/blogs/blog/american-propaganda-map-38-000-000-escaped-10-000-000-died

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An entire continent of jojos.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dear God, an entire continent of furries

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Canada so unremarkable it has to wear a “Canada” shirt.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

King Hong Kong posted:

If you've never been to Canada, you've probably only met Canadians in "Canada" shirts.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Dear God, an entire continent of furries

the prehistory of nafo

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I don't understand why Finland is depicted as a weird elongated eyeball

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Darkest Auer posted:

No, it's the residents that are depicted that way.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

russia should put pants back on

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Darkest Auer posted:

i think its a penguin

none of these animals make any sense, what does the legend say

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Darkest Auer posted:

Found a higher-res version of the legenda, but it's all in portuguese, so not easy to get much from.

So it is some kind of pinguim, which while all penguins today are in the south pole, there did used to be a penguin species up in the north.

Except it didn't go into the Baltic.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 21, 2023

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

King Hong Kong posted:

Doesn't have a maple leaf on it, unrealistic.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

SlothfulCobra posted:

Found a higher-res version of the legenda, but it's all in portuguese, so not easy to get much from.

So it is some kind of pinguim, which while all penguins today are in the south pole, https://there.

I can't read the Portuguese, but the modern word "Penguin" or its roots, originally referred to the Great Auk, a now extinct Arctic bird.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

So it is some kind of pinguim, which while all penguins today are in the south pole, https://there.

finland is a pastry-selling penguin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The tldr of that legend is that EE is dancing to the tune of the Russian bear, as if they were behind the iron curtain of a circus, and WE is part of the attendants being watched over by the Americas in the peanut gallery, essentially