Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Lol. The quality of the Crown across seasons correlates exactly with its depiction of the decline of UK world power. In other words it's poo poo past season 3. Until then it actually seemed to understand its characters were awful people spiritually maimed by their inheritance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xaris posted:

i'm always surprised that people have time to watch >10 shows a year or more to actually make a list. tv is always the biggest and daunting commitment from me so I'm usually 3-4 shows a year on average
You technically only need to watch 5 shows to have a best and worst 5 list.

Fuligin posted:

Lol. The quality of the Crown across seasons correlates exactly with its depiction of the decline of UK world power. In other words it's poo poo past season 3. Until then it actually seemed to understand its characters were awful people spiritually maimed by their inheritance
Yeah, the first three seasons are like a complete trilogy, showing Elizabeth's evolution into a villain, as every bit of humanity within her is slowly whittled away by the institution she's a figurehead of.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://deadline.com/2023/11/napoleon-director-ridley-scott-dismisses-critics-epic-film-joaquin-phoenix-1235627199/

I don't even care if the movie is good or not, I love it when Ridley goes off "the French don't even like themselves" lmbo

obvs I hope it's good, but the trailers have been kinda mid

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hope it's more Kingdom of Heaven and less Gladiator

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

https://deadline.com/2023/11/napoleon-director-ridley-scott-dismisses-critics-epic-film-joaquin-phoenix-1235627199/

I don't even care if the movie is good or not, I love it when Ridley goes off "the French don't even like themselves" lmbo

obvs I hope it's good, but the trailers have been kinda mid

the trailers look gorgeous I'll watch it on mute if I have to

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
good stuff i can recall:

I'm a Virgo
The Rehearsal
This Fool
Party Down
The Kingdom: Exodus
Beavis and Butt-Head
Ten-Year Old Tom

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

severance was easily the best of this year even if the finale wasn't as good as the rest of the season

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

I’m not going to look this up but I’m pretty sure Severance aired in like 2018.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i say swears online posted:

severance was easily the best of this year even if the finale wasn't as good as the rest of the season
that was last year bub, actually close to 2

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

tristeham posted:

good stuff i can recall:

The Kingdom: Exodus

oh this looks sick, how come i havent seen anyone mention it before??

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xaris posted:

oh this looks sick, how come i havent seen anyone mention it before??

Literally talked about itt less than a month ago when we were talking about St Elsewhere.

Also it aired last year so same boat as Severance.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mantis42 posted:

I hope it's more Kingdom of Heaven and less Gladiator

I'd be fine with either of those. Or if it's bad then hopefully it's at least funny & weird like Exodus and not meandering & boring like Robin Hood

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Napoleon better have a The Duelists cameo or I’ll have words with Mr Scott.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i haven't seen any of it to tell but maybe the crown writers got spooked by the british media throwing all their toys out of the pram last season at the 'unfair' depiction of things that happened, and decided this season needed balance even if they had to raise the dead to get it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

Napoleon better have a The Duelists cameo or I’ll have words with Mr Scott.

It had better end with an exiled Napoleon receiving a letter from a young merchant mariner acting captain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched both seasons of the Netflix "The Lincoln Lawyer" series over the last two weeks, finishing off the run on Sunday night

I enjoyed it quite a bit - it's nice to watch a legal drama that isn't [always, or explicitly] siding with the cops/government, and there's quite a fair bit of criticism of the cops and their tactics as Mickey Haller defends his clients

the plot twists are pretty nice too - they're appropriately surprising without coming entirely out of left field

it's a good show, and I give it my recommendation

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It had better end with an exiled Napoleon receiving a letter from a young merchant mariner acting captain

Rewatched The Count of Monte Cristo recently and never knew it had a young Henry Cavill in it.

Are we getting a Napoleonic Cinematic Universe? Can’t wait for Sharpe to be introduced.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Succession final season was this year too, I'd put it near the top of my lists for sure. I think the finale was a great achievement of pulling all the pieces of unresolved tension together in one huge crescendo.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Cookie Cutter posted:

Succession final season was this year too, I'd put it near the top of my lists for sure. I think the finale was a great achievement of pulling all the pieces of unresolved tension together in one huge crescendo.

Aye. the final season was top notch and the finale works on all levels. Rare to get such a satisfying ending.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Post-credits scene imo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Are we getting a Napoleonic Cinematic Universe? Can’t wait for Sharpe to be introduced.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I so wish this was real.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

finally a cinematic universe for dads

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
best show of the year was Midnight Mass, which i watched this year

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

best show of the year was Midnight Mass, which i watched this year

Still can't believe netflix let him get away, I mean look at the track record
a banger series or movie every year since 2016

easily one of the most prolific writer/filmmakers of the streaming era and they're like "yeah we'll be fine without you"

silly fuckers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think every streaming service is chasing Quantity at the expense of Quality nosediving

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

josh04 posted:

i haven't seen any of it to tell but maybe the crown writers got spooked by the british media throwing all their toys out of the pram last season at the 'unfair' depiction of things that happened, and decided this season needed balance even if they had to raise the dead to get it.

I watched a bit of it at the friends house and the episode involved a speech the queen made with all her colonial troops listening intently.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope the main says “my name is Dacian!”

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I feel none of the streaming service providers have figured out that on-demand means your shows compete with one another for eyeballs on your own platform once you reach a certain saturation point.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I feel none of the streaming service providers have figured out that on-demand means your shows compete with one another for eyeballs on your own platform once you reach a certain saturation point.

the Attention Economy means they are not just competing with each other, but also competing with things like Your Children

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the Attention Economy means they are not just competing with each other, but also competing with things like Your Children

Right, but I don't think increasing the number of shows increases the amount of time watched past a certain point, it just decreases the views per show because they're being divided among more content now.

If you give people more choices, odds are each individual choice is going to be less popular overall.

PsychoInternetHawk has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Nov 20, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Right, but I don't think increasing the number of shows increases the amount of time watched, it just decreases the views per show because they're being divided among more content now.

absolutely. I think they just want to be able to say "how can you say $14.99/month (or whatever the current rate is) isn't worth it when you literally have HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of titles to choose from!"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I feel like Dodi Fayed got done dirty by the Crown for no good reason. I wonder if the show runners just wanted to have a little tidbit in there to make Fayed's family look sleazy and the Royal Family look less sleazy.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Rewatched The Count of Monte Cristo recently and never knew it had a young Henry Cavill in it.

Now that's soldiering!

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer
"Give us 12 bucks or Tony Tony Chopper's gonna be a rag on a stick with googly eyes"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
https://twitter.com/pinknishii/status/1725599748768616795

is this what the Scott Pilgrim show is, a cheaply animated PG-13 horny comedy? could be a personal problem, but a five second static shot of two lower jaws just doesn't do it for me

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

is this what the Scott Pilgrim show is, a cheaply animated PG-13 horny comedy? could be a personal problem, but a five second static shot of two lower jaws just doesn't do it for me

that is because you are not a teenager anymore

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
dammit, I thought I had another 20 years of being a teenager

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

According to that person's profile they're 23 now, so I guess they would have been 10 when the movie came out which is a little young for it and oh nooo I'm turning to dust

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

indigi posted:

I wouldn't say cheaply animated. the fight earlier in this episode was really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I thought the original movie was fine, but not necessarily something to fawn over. I wasn't planning to watch the show until I heard its premise is different, and it's pretty good. It's at least interesting that it isn't just another remake.

I feel like the peek of unnecessary remakes lately has to be the live action Moana coming out, with Dwayne Johnson playing the same character. It's the same loving movie.

Whirling posted:

I wouldn't say cheaply animated. the fight earlier in this episode was really great.

It does have good animation.