Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Yeah he clearly has a staff, which IIRC is entirely Bajoran.

I don't recall any reference to any other doctors through.

I also just assumed that was part of the federations deal with bajor, having a Starfleet doctor there to teach them how to use the fancy medical supplies and procedures that the cardassians probably didn't let them have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
theyre definitely there, there just wasn't, like, a script equivalent to nurse ogawa

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Watched the Voyager where the captain goes through the spirit challenge not challenge to save Kes. Kinda funny Chakotay is uncomfortable with it when he’s Mr my people have a saying and a ritual for everything

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i figure bajor was perfectly happy to let starfleet assign a doctor to this borderline derelict station they didn't care about. it beats having to waste one of their own undoubtedly scarce doctors on it. and then, well, stuff happened.

there had to be preexisting bajoran doctors throughout the occupation, but they probably weren't very well trained or numerous. if not, then the cardassians would have been the ones who had to keep all of their workers going and that's not really their style.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 20, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if not, then the cardassians would have been the ones who had to keep all of their workers going and that's not really their style.

I don't think they particularly cared if they kept their workers going. There's always more bajorans available

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they would have trained a bare minimum of bajoran doctors to the bare minimum proficiency with the bare minimum in supplies. otherwise there could quite easily be plagues which could then infect cardassians. also, the cardassians did need the miners to keep working. i dunno why that is, but star trek mining never makes sense.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
What's the difference between a cardassian and a romulan? Cardassians are more torture heavy? Romulans more up their own asses?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Neck Girth

Also Romulans look like they belong on a fashion runway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LRADIKAL posted:

What's the difference between a cardassian and a romulan? Cardassians are more torture heavy? Romulans more up their own asses?

The Cardassians had the balls to actually fight a war with the Federation. The Romulans didn't. Then they fought another war with the Federation like 15 year later because they're idiots.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

Cardassians evolved from some kind of space lizard.

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
do cardassians have cloaca like a lizard?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Work it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Stuck in the 80's Big Shoulder Pad Era

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER
they say whoever has the biggest shoulder pads will control the alpha quadrant

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

mailorder bees posted:

they say whoever has the biggest shoulder pads will control the alpha quadrant

Who are the other contenders?
Romulans seem like a front runner, but... can we consider these shoulder pads?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

lol

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Gowron’s drag race may the best tl’Hob win

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Tonight’s guest judges are Vulcan ICON ambassador Sarek, the inimitable Duras Sisters, and paralyzed star fleet captain Christopher Pike

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

abuse culture. posted:

Tonight’s guest judges are Vulcan ICON ambassador Sarek, the inimitable Duras Sisters, and paralyzed star fleet captain Christopher Pike

Pike: beep beep beep

Voice-over guy: *whistles* savage.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

I need stage names for main cast members in drag and I need them now.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Jean Luc Dickhard

Lilian T Dyker

Milf (Worf)

Georgie LaGorge

Dater

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

there's a fair bit of overlap, which is why the tal'shiar and obsidian order teamed up. however, cardassians are obsessed with the idea of efficiency, though not necessarily actual efficiency. romulans are all about schemes, the more elaborate the better.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Infinite Drip on Infinite Catwalks

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

romulans are all about schemes, the more elaborate the better.

Romulan Secret Santa tends to involve a lot of casualties.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

GolfHole posted:

Jean Luc Dickhard

Lilian T Dyker

Milf (Worf)

Georgie LaGorge

Dater

Amazing.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Guest Starring Admiral Fabulou's

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The difference between Romulans and Cardassians is that Cardassians are better realised as a culture.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i wish we had gotten more detailed looks at romulan society. they're so fun! but even the spock 2-parter where they actually infiltrated romulus didn't really go further than "boy, we romulans sure do love betrayal". and well, the less said about nemesis and picard the better.

naem
May 29, 2011

mailorder bees posted:

do cardassians have cloaca like a lizard?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DS9 probably showed the Romulans at their most complex, with inter-Empire politics playing out under the weight of the Dominion invasion.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

wanna get her under a heat lamp

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

I think early on they say 300 people, which surprised me last watch.

They say 300 in early season one but about 2000 by the middle of the show.

yeah, i wish we had gotten more detailed looks at romulan society. they're so fun! but even the spock 2-parter where they actually infiltrated romulus didn't really go further than "boy, we romulans sure do love betrayal". and well, the less said about nemesis and picard the better.

Honestly for all that Picard is awful the expansion on Romulan culture in S1 wasn't completely terrible, there was some neat stuff in there. The stuff we learn about on the cube that's not the dumb Zhat Vash conspiracy.

Even the candor nuns kinda work as this idea that their rejection of Romulan secret culture is cultivating a mindset where you can't even have the concept of secrecy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 20, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Watched the Voyager where the captain goes through the spirit challenge not challenge to save Kes. Kinda funny Chakotay is uncomfortable with it when he’s Mr my people have a saying and a ritual for everything

Ha-coochie-moya

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The what conspiracy

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tffYws7kDDE&t=14s

You're just jealous of their swish

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
remember, the reason why all of the native american stuff on voyager was completely nuts was because they hired a weird white dude who pretended to be native american as their consultant. also, the fact that he was a weird white dude in redface had already come out long before he was hired for voyager.

naem
May 29, 2011

Big rear end On Fire posted:

wanna get her under a heat lamp

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I need a Henny drink
I need a weed smoker
Not a Garden Snake
I need a King Cobra

(from WAC by Cardassian B)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

remember, the reason why all of the native american stuff on voyager was completely nuts was because they hired a weird white dude who pretended to be native american as their consultant. also, the fact that he was a weird white dude in redface had already come out long before he was hired for voyager.

That makes so much sense.

:lol:

Not lying when I say she was one of the most attractive guest stars/characters on the show to me.