Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

Ms Adequate posted:

But zombie media almost always has a conflict with other, non-zombie people as a major plot.

Also Dutch people are very funny when you say the magic words ('Bicycle Helmet')

Of course, but that's after we quickly and blamelessly zombified 99% of the population that we would otherwise have been competing for resources with.

That means we can have conflict with other survivors on the basis of values or racism or whatever other nonsense the film maker wanted to talk about but which makes no sense in the context of collapse where anyone who survived to be part of the last 1% swam through blood to get there and the audience would be rightly disgusted with them all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is why I'm giving the SAS thing with Hancock a try. An environment where his bullshit politician answers won't fly and where other people have clear authority over him.
It does make me wonder, because Farage is obviously a oval office, but his cuntishness is largely contained in small soundbites. The people who hate him have time to cool down between soundbites, and the people who like him just hear the soundbite, nod and say 'simple as' and move on.

When he's on TV continuously following people around being a oval office all day, i can see all but his most avid supporters will eventually start to hate him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I am interested in how long his "man down the pub" schtick lasts when he can't just wander off when small talk's over.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is there nothing these marvellous machines can't do?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Let them eat bytes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Politicians are astonishingly easy to distract with shiny, jangling techno baubles.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I posted a big rant about AI in the disco elysium thread of all places. I really should be using those words for nanowrimo, but I am Mad about Computer.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We can and should be using science to end malnutrition, but I'm not sure why you need ChatGPT to tell you that making sure that children get enough niacin stops them from getting pellagra.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm replaying Disco Elysium at the moment, primarily because the last time I played it I got too wrapped up in doing Other poo poo I never finished the loving game.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
:siren: UKMT Solidarity Fund Update, November 2023 :siren:

It's been a pleasure to continue to support folks with far fewer worries about the fund running out of money, thanks to the generous response to our fundraiser a couple of months ago. Thank you all so very much.

I'm still feeling a bit hosed up from my colonoscopy this morning (verdict: the new drugs aren't working lol) so I can't think what else to write. Roll stats!

Edit: Also, if you are the person who made an email application around a month ago, please get in touch - we have tried to contact you multiple times with no luck.

October Stats:

Monthly donations and payouts graph:

Quarterly version of the above:

UKMTSF Data Trends | Record of Activity | Constitution

If you are someone that is in need, please get in contact. This fund is here to help you with whatever comes your way. If something is causing you stress, pain, worry or physical distress, please get in contact with us. Please do not go hungry or without something because you are of the belief that your pain is not important enough. Feel free to contact any of the committee if you would like to discuss an issue. All matters are treated in complete confidence.

Donate:
Bank Transfer - PM IrvingWashington (aka Bill Drummond on Discord) for account details

Apply:
Application Form
Email Us
PM: AceClown, Fargle (discord only), Maugrim, The DPRK or Tsietisin.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 20, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

I'm replaying Disco Elysium at the moment, primarily because the last time I played it I got too wrapped up in doing Other poo poo
To be fair it is entirely possible to do this in-game as well.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That's what I mean!

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

I was on holiday recently and saw this artwork. It's called "Surprise with the Glare" by Takao Tsuchida. I think the face looks like Wes Streeting :eek:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

sinky posted:

Shadow work and pensions secretary gives first interview in new role

:cripes:

We oppose tory policies. Also we have committed to keeping them.

The rest of the interview is parroting the tories 'work will set you free' poo poo.

jesus christ

what is the point of these people :/

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

killerwhat posted:

I was on holiday recently and saw this artwork. It's called "Surprise with the Glare" by Takao Tsuchida. I think the face looks like Wes Streeting :eek:

That has far more personality than Wes Streeting

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I'm replaying Disco Elysium at the moment, primarily because the last time I played it I got too wrapped up in doing Other poo poo I never finished the loving game.

I should give it another whirl. I got to what seemed like a bit of a slow bit in the middle and never worked through it. Also got a bit annoyed at constantly trudging back and forth, but I think I heard they fixed that.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

"HungerBot, I haven't had a proper meal in weeks and the food banks referred me to you. What can I do?"

"Sorry to hear that {name}! Studies have shown that mindfulness can help reduce the feelings associated with hunger. Would you like me to text you some links? NOTE: THIS RESPONSE MAY INCLUDE PROMOTED CONTENT FROM BREATHBOT"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

while there are children in the UK presenting at hospital with rickets due to around a decade and a half of austerity :negative:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

crispix posted:

while there are children in the UK presenting at hospital with rickets due to around a decade and a half of austerity :negative:

Back to the "good old days"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I posted a big rant about AI in the disco elysium thread of all places. I really should be using those words for nanowrimo, but I am Mad about Computer.

you seem awfully obsessed with the need to put a monetary value on the art.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

in summary, the difference you loving idiot is that we compensate artists for the time and labour undertaken because they are a human being with human needs.

like maybe we could just provide people with whatever their human needs are anyway, regardless of if they did any art that day?

then other artists could use ai tools to produce more art without anyone going hungry or whatever. I mean Rishi is right, AI can end malnutrition by doing all the jobs so we can separate work from survival with a UBI.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think AI can do anything humans actually need doing.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you can make funny pictures with it

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Tesseraction posted:

Wanna do a replay as a hard drinking, hard hitting action cop, rather than an intelligence build

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think AI can do anything humans actually need doing.

Thats just ignorance and a lack of imagination though. AI is saving the bees.

In fact you could ask the AI to help you think of things the Ai can help you with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

killerwhat posted:

moisturize me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

you can make funny pictures with it

Humans can make funny pictures by themselves. If we spent less time at work we could spend more time drawing knobs on things and it would be more fulfilling than asking the ai to show you pictures of things with knobs on

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

i use an aggregator site for that

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

Sunak: AIBigBem, how can we stop Malnutrition?

AIBigBen: One way to start is by subsidising all Children's meals at school.

Sunak:....AI is not the answer. We need human minds to solve human problems.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The problem with talking about "AI" is it currently is used to basically mean anything involving a computer, from "fitting a statistical model which is then used for further analysis" to "chat gpt tries to write a novel". Saying AI will help us solve malnutrition is at this point just saying "we will do it with computers". Okay but how exactly. You can't just type "solve malnutrition" into chat gpt and then there won't be poor people anymore

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Look you just need the right prompts ok

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Reduce food waste and improve yields.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you seem awfully obsessed with the need to put a monetary value on the art.
Funnily enough I just responded to a similar post to that.

A) I don't want to put a monetary value on art. But time spent producing art is offset against time spent doing work that pays, in an environment where it costs money to be alive; so human artists need to be compensated.

B) Even if we squared the circle of AI and economies, I would prefer art and entertainment to be something I get a chance to make, instead of having had a random number generator come up with it first.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Angepain posted:

You can't just type "solve malnutrition" into chat gpt and then there won't be poor people anymore
if AI can tell us how to make people think malnutrition has been solved or how to stop people from caring that malnutrition hasn’t been solved that’s basically the same and much cheaper??

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reduce food waste and improve yields.

well it didn't start telling us how to fill our hunger bar in minecraft at least so this answer is a great win for AI

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Funnily enough I just responded to a similar post to that.

A) I don't want to put a monetary value on art. But time spent producing art is offset against time spent doing work that pays, in an environment where it costs money to be alive; so human artists need to be compensated.

B) Even if we squared the circle of AI and economies, I would prefer art and entertainment to be something I get a chance to make, instead of having had a random number generator come up with it first.

With the value of the art separated from your requirement to survive, you can create the art yourself without concern that it is not as good or original as the ai's art as you are not in competition with it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ai can drive the Tesla delivery trucks all day and night with no downtime improving supply lines and reducing waste.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Copy them into your nano doc. I wrote an 800+ word email yesterday so managed to shoehorn that in. 800 words not to be wasted especially when I didn't start til last Wednesday and 30k words to go! Just make a character say them all and put quotation marks round them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^ there is a NaNo thread, join usss

NotJustANumber99 posted:

With the value of the art separated from your requirement to survive, you can create the art yourself without concern that it is not as good or original as the ai's art as you are not in competition with it.
Again, even in a utopian society I would still have problems with that. AI devalues human production of art and not just in the monetary sense.

Regardless, we do have competition, we do have economic considerations, and AI is loving people out of work. Any arguments about AI necessarily need to consider that context.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

^ there is a NaNo thread, join usss

Again, even in a utopian society I would still have problems with that. AI devalues human production of art and not just in the monetary sense.

Regardless, we do have competition, we do have economic considerations, and AI is loving people out of work. Any arguments about AI necessarily need to consider that context.

Ah ok, nothing can ever get better, don't think about it, ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ai can drive the Tesla delivery trucks all day and night with no downtime improving supply lines and reducing waste.

Greater availability of delivery resources is more likely to result in an increase in waste as everything becomes "on demand" and people are encouraged to consume more to utilize the increased distribution capacity.

As ever, it is not a problem of raw capability, it is a problem of intent. Increases in capability do not translate to increases in overall efficiency because the goal of capitalism is to maximise extraction and consumption of resources, because each step of that is where surplus value can be extracted.