Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hippocrass posted:

The Rectangle(Gasoline Alley)(April 6, 1919)

But the point of dazzle camouflage wasn't to make ships "less conspicuous", the point was to break up the lines and make it extremely hard to estimate the heading, orientation and speed of a ship. This was important against submarines who were much, much slower than surface ships while underwater, and needed to carefully plan their attack runs ahead of time. Hard to do when you can't be sure of your target's speed or heading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Selachian posted:

Trenchi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/19/03

Brenda Starr 2/10/52

Smokey Stover 2/9/58

Everyday Movies 12/24/36

"That's me mudder in dere. Now will you believe we're gonna have turkey for Christmas?"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 8/9/42

I feel like if you name your kid Snead Wormly, it's inevitable he's gonna turn out like this.

Bonus Ad! Zymole Trokeys! I just like the name.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_737783

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

But the point of dazzle camouflage wasn't to make ships "less conspicuous", the point was to break up the lines and make it extremely hard to estimate the heading, orientation and speed of a ship. This was important against submarines who were much, much slower than surface ships while underwater, and needed to carefully plan their attack runs ahead of time. Hard to do when you can't be sure of your target's speed or heading.

Just looking at that ship makes my eyes and brain hurt. So... mission accomplished? Except it would make me more motivated to sink it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also, were they black-and-white? I bet most people only knew about them from seeing photos in the newspaper. That would make me think “camouflage,” as the water and sky would be black-and-white in the photo as well. But in reality they could have been any color and would never have blended in with the water or sky.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I AM GRANDO posted:

Also, were they black-and-white? I bet most people only knew about them from seeing photos in the newspaper. That would make me think “camouflage,” as the water and sky would be black-and-white in the photo as well. But in reality they could have been any color and would never have blended in with the water or sky.

“… The designs included a moderate range of colors (hues), though post-war experiments would demonstrate that brightness contrasts were more important than color varieties. “ Link has designs with specified colors:
https://www.history.navy.mil/our-collections/art/exhibits/conflicts-and-operations/wwi/dazzle-paint-ship-camouflage-designs-.html

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I AM GRANDO posted:

There are paintings of them: most are black and white, but some are colourful.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Poil posted:

Just looking at that ship makes my eyes and brain hurt. So... mission accomplished? Except it would make me more motivated to sink it.

Optical range finders used a set of mirrors to align the real and virtual images, which becomes a lot more difficult with wacky stripes. Also, to launch a torpedo you have to estimate the course and speed of the target to correctly lead it. That’s really hard when you can’t clearly tell which end of the ship is which or what angle it’s facing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I AM GRANDO posted:

Also, were they black-and-white?

Everything was black and white back then, colour wasn't invented for a few decades yet.

No but seriously, like Pigsfeet says, some were black and white, some were in colour.

This is a design from a 1918 report on a ship in dazzle camouflage.

There are also official guidebooks that show the different camouflage schemes used and give the intended colours. As you would expect, lots of greys, blues, light greens etc.

And this is an illustration of the effect, showing how a submarine will misread the ship's bow and heading:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

One for the Crimestoppers Textbook.

Flash Gordon

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's Mutts, and here comes the rescue squad.

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 15, 1935)

Peanuts (November 22, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (February 21-23, 1935)

Thimble Theater (June 24, 1940)

Out Our Way (May 10-12, 1943)

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Someone in the other thread pointed out that a comics podcast called Thick Lines did an episode recently about Uchida’s Minami’s Lover, which they discuss particularly through the lens of Uchida being an abuse survivor. They also talk a bit about her life while somehow missing the very important point that her kids are literally named Alpha, Beta, Gamma, and Delta.

Bardiche Hotel

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
what....what did popeye call olive/wimpy in the last panel?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Fast food and going out evenings are part and partial of the experience for people Michael's age, you idiot.

My dad's perspective on school was very much that you sank all those years entirely into posting good scores so you could get a good job and be set for life, and I don't want to dive down the personal speculation hole but I wouldn't be shocked to find out Lynn was the same way.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Caphi posted:

My dad's perspective on school was very much that you sank all those years entirely into posting good scores so you could get a good job and be set for life, and I don't want to dive down the personal speculation hole but I wouldn't be shocked to find out Lynn was the same way.

What about “meet and secure a spouse so you’re not all used-up and lonely at 22”? Women got that worse, but men definitely got that too.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 11/4/51

Archie 10/14-16/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 10/21/51

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

That's a really efficient character and tone setting strip there, that is.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think in this case, Popeye just means women cuz he's calling talking about Olive.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mess aside, that's pretty impressive, Nancy.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Good Listener posted:

I think in this case, Popeye just means women cuz he's calling talking about Olive.

Yeah, the joke is he's smashed two connected words together because he's an uneducated sailor. I would guess that's he's several decades ahead of that slang, but I don't know.

The idea of this g-man nipping out into the hallway to quickly strip just after the climax before ambling back into the room to deliver his button is very funny.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Good Listener posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just meant to be a Popeye malapropism. It does read a little differently these days.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: Clem is a wizard and capable of levitation

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

That's a really efficient character and tone setting strip there, that is.

I think new Flash has pretty quickly become my favourite strip in the thread. I hope it continues to be this good.

Scary Go Round (April 6-8, 2004)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Taps the sign that says "Just fire him. Nobody is making you do this."

Crabgrass

Big Nate

Taking a break for a week or so for the holiday so no more comics until then.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Y'know It's Been A Dog's Age Since I Last Seen The Episode Of King Of The Hill Where Peggy Goes To Physical Therapy, I Should Rewatch That Whole Arc. drat That Show Is Good. Anyway Yeah Living With Fiona Is A Nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy0l2r0IxkI

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I've been sick this weekend and then some, I'm having trouble remembering things so here's a random broadside of Jucika.

Jucika "394 - Jucika's Sunday Subsidiary"

"Strand = Beach, Megtelt = Full, Maszek = Self-employed, Kabinos = Cabin Attendant"

"395 - Jucika Is Going To Lake Balaton"

"Árvízkárok Újjáépítéséhez = (roughly) Repairs For Flood Damage"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I gotta say, Olive & Popeye is the worst of these weird reboot / remake comics we get in this thread. Fair play to anyone who likes it but loving hell.

Ehhh I'm as hard on Olive & Popeye as anyone but the rot in Mark Trail is too ridiculously far gone at this point for anything to really compete with it.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Doomykins posted:

I've been sick this weekend and then some, I'm having trouble remembering things so here's a random broadside of Jucika.

I hope you get to feelin' better

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm starting to daydream about eating 20+ hamburgers so I think recovery is imminent but I'm also perfectly lucid and awake when I should be trying to sleep. Guard me Wimpy, my spirit animal, and thank you for the well wishing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

Just let this glamorous alcoholic enjoy her pint glass of warm vodka in peace

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork posted:

Taking a break for a week or so for the holiday so no more comics until then.
Enjoy the turkey!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Prince Valiant is such a little stinker

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Just go talk to her loving hamster already.

We've discussed before in this thread that the premise of this strip (This family has to live in their back yard because house renovations last FOREVER! Isn't that wacky??) is pretty thin and the strip would be better if Tom Toro would can that and just go with how the kid can talk to animals. I think this current story illustrates that. It's still not a good strip, mind you, but I am mildly curious what's wrong with that hamster.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bolo-land?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Here, let me give that spinal cord injury a good shake. That should loosen things up for ya.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The bolo knife, so presumably an old term for the Philippines.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

The ritual hazing of the "attitude adjustment hour" would explain a lot about Charterstone.

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm not sure how they got from the first strip to the third strip. Curse you for making me think about Luann this hard.