Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Malleum posted:

i have no idea when it happened but google has just become entirely useless for trying to get information on things.

any time i search anything it automatically defaults to the shopping tab. i wanted to find out about a specific type of old TV and it just gave me ebay listings; wikipedia used to be the top result for like any informative search but now its buried in the second page under a bunch of lovely retail ads. it is incredibly aggravating to use now.

:yeah:

This. It's almost completely useless if you're not shopping and pages it does manage to find are now SEO'd AI gibberish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:gas:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Malleum posted:

i have no idea when it happened but google has just become entirely useless for trying to get information on things.

any time i search anything it automatically defaults to the shopping tab. i wanted to find out about a specific type of old TV and it just gave me ebay listings; wikipedia used to be the top result for like any informative search but now its buried in the second page under a bunch of lovely retail ads. it is incredibly aggravating to use now.

:yeah:

Google vehemently denies it of course but apparently this is because they literally replace some searches entirely with related brand names lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm going to change how I tie my shoes. I have NOT been happy with the quality of my knots lately and this changes today.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

SirPablo posted:

FourCastNet is a ML/AI weather model that is demonstrating amazing accuracy.

https://medium.com/@multiplatform.ai/fourcastnet-transforming-global-weather-forecasting-with-data-driven-precision-c0ac71d7b1f5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUT6IrQjo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnGPxZ9glVk

Given how computationally intensive numerical weather modeling is, replacing or completing parts of it with ML aspects is going to providing significant results. One specific example is https://www.anl.gov/event/using-deep-learning-to-parameterize-radiative-transfer-in-numerical-weather-prediction with ML algos, which are showing to be highly accurate and orders of magnitude faster.

Fast emulators for complex calculations are basically fine, as are various forms of nonlinear optimization for protein folding and such since optimizers are mostly based on arbitrary heuristics, not fundamental math or physics. But these are pretty much the furthest thing from intelligence that anyone dares to call AI and not what most people mean when they object to AI bullshit.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
I don’t want to endorse google in any way but I don’t experience 90% of the complaints I’m seeing here but then again I google like 3 things a day and most of them point me to a stack overflow post telling me exactly what I wanted

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Salt Fish posted:

I'm going to change how I tie my shoes. I have NOT been happy with the quality of my knots lately and this changes today.

I learned how to do this like 15 years ago: https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/ianknot.htm You can tie the knot in 1 second and it doesn't come loose.

shazbot posted:

I don’t want to endorse google in any way but I don’t experience 90% of the complaints I’m seeing here but then again I google like 3 things a day and most of them point me to a stack overflow post telling me exactly what I wanted

It used to be really really good at finding obscure and/or highly specific items if you knew how to work the search queries. Now no matter what you put in for the search query it just points you towards the most-commonly-clicked result which is always, always going to be lowest common denominator garbage. The +reddit "workaround" will only work for so long.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Salt Fish posted:

that Ian Knot is really elegant and simple and I’m using it from now on

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

the only product google has that is worth a poo poo is the regular chromecast without any tv app poo poo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Nothus posted:

This. It's almost completely useless if you're not shopping and pages it does manage to find are now SEO'd AI gibberish

even i find internal search on shopping portals works better than google now when it comes to shopping

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

do you legitimately not see the decrease in basic functionality with something like Google Search that has occurred over the past decade? it is inundated with Advertisements posing as actual results and the majority of "actual results" are webpages with as little content as possible that has been SEO'd to get even more adviews.

my last real search was for a reuters story about appin (indian hack for hire company) and it was the first result
prior to that it was books etc. where i just did the title or a broad category like cosmic horror movies and to me the first few results were needs suiting
i'm using adblockers, maybe that's part of it?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

that's not ai that's just a company pretending they're absolved

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

doing the guns don't kill people, people kill people bit but for AI

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

killing people is labor

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Relevant Tangent posted:

that's not ai that's just a company pretending they're absolved

By the way this troll position you're taking has a name, Value-Neutrality Thesis, and basically its the idea that technology is morally neutral on its own, and any worthwhile STEM college program will have a class where they try to teach you why that's wrong. Anyway, if you want to read about why its poo poo you can try googling that (but good luck using google).

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Zodium posted:

killing people is labor

The important part is what kind of labor?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Salt Fish posted:

By the way this troll position you're taking has a name, Value-Neutrality Thesis, and basically its the idea that technology is morally neutral on its own, and any worthwhile STEM college program will have a class where they try to teach you why that's wrong. Anyway, if you want to read about why its poo poo you can try googling that (but good luck using google).

Relevant Tangent is genuinely that stupid

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

killing people is labor

But does it create surplus value?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Zodium posted:

killing people is labor

people are chuds

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

webcams for christ posted:

doing the guns don't kill people, people kill people bit but for AI

killing people is what guns are for though
ai exists to get coked up idiots hype about your app
salt fish's coworkers think they're going to automate the service sector away, that's just techbro copium

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

In a much cooler universe we would worship the black box that decides if you get healthcare or not.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Relevant Tangent posted:

killing people is what guns are for though
ai exists to get coked up idiots hype about your app
salt fish's coworkers think they're going to automate the service sector away, that's just techbro copium

sounds like ai is useless and should die glad we all agree

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Has an AI shot up an elementary school?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

something being useless doesn't mean it should die

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

good news for you

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Relevant Tangent posted:

of course you would say that

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

good news for you

and this thread

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Zodium posted:

of course you would say that

what useless things should die?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Salt Fish posted:

The only good TEDTalk

https://www.ted.com/talks/terry_moore_how_to_tie_your_shoes?autoplay=true&muted=true&language=en

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Relevant Tangent posted:

as a rule no it’s why I don’t mind your posting

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I was gambling in the markets, I took a little risk
Send AI, guns and money, dad, get me out of this, ha

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

I was gambling in the markets, I took a little risk
Send AI, guns and money, dad, get me out of this, ha

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

remember the “I’m feeling lucky” button on google. :(

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I remember doodles being a thing that I didn't ignore.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

skooma512 posted:

Is this an Alpha Centauri tech quote

No, it's from the most reliable source, The Atlantic: https://insidexpress.com/technology/chatgpt-the-atlantic-reveals-how-it-fractured-openai/

The tensions boiled over at the top. As Altman and OpenAI President Greg Brockman encouraged more commercialization, the company’s chief scientist, Ilya Sutskever, grew more concerned about whether OpenAI was upholding the governing nonprofit’s mission to create beneficial AGI. Over the past few years, the rapid progress of OpenAI’s large language models had made Sutskever more confident that AGI would arrive soon and thus more focused on preventing its possible dangers, according to Geoffrey Hinton, an AI pioneer who served as Sutskever’s doctoral adviser at the University of Toronto and has remained close with him over the years. (Sutskever did not respond to a request for comment.)

Anticipating the arrival of this all-powerful technology, Sutskever began to behave like a spiritual leader, three employees who worked with him told us. His constant, enthusiastic refrain was “feel the AGI,” a reference to the idea that the company was on the cusp of its ultimate goal. At OpenAI’s 2022 holiday party, held at the California Academy of Sciences, Sutskever led employees in a chant: “Feel the AGI! Feel the AGI!” The phrase itself was popular enough that OpenAI employees created a special “Feel the AGI” reaction emoji in Slack.

The more confident Sutskever grew about the power of OpenAI’s technology, the more he also allied himself with the existential-risk faction within the company. For a leadership offsite this year, according to two people familiar with the event, Sutskever commissioned a wooden effigy from a local artist that was intended to represent an “unaligned” AI—that is, one that does not meet a human’s objectives. He set it on fire to symbolize OpenAI’s commitment to its founding principles. In July, OpenAI announced the creation of a so-called superalignment team with Sustkever co-leading the research. OpenAI would expand the alignment team’s research to develop more upstream AI-safety techniques with a dedicated 20 percent of the company’s existing computer chips, in preparation for the possibility of AGI arriving in this decade, the company said.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Maed posted:

I remember back in the day I could easily find an article or video I watched years before in one well worded google search, now it doesn't even show up in the first 10 pages no matter how much of my old googlefu I use. google is almost unusable now, I just go straight to wikipedia to look anything up which is sadly one of only two good websites left. the other of course being ian's shoelacing site https://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

Did you try Kagi, the pay2win search engine? https://kagi.com/

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

AGI is just the rapture for nerds
they'd all be happier if they found an easy going religion

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Wells Fargo workers vote to unionize

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/employees-two-wells-fargo-branches-plan-launch-unionization-efforts-wsj-2023-11-20/

Company is notorious for oppressing their workers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

Relevant Tangent is genuinely that stupid
it’s a dirty job but someone’s gotta pickup the mantle from Leon, end of history thorn, and perma bull guy

would rather they don’t though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

good. I'll never forget the reporting on their employees trying to keep up with soul-crushing performance metrics who were having daily panic attacks and self medicating on the job with hand sanitizer. it was a big part of what caused all those credit card accounts being opened for customers without their knowledge or consent