Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zoux posted:

Epic bacon futures up huge

Lmao why are Americans so stupid SMHD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Lmao why are Americans so stupid SMHD.

I believe that the Argentinians were the stupid ones, for electing him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Another one of Musky's famously accurate predictions

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/686279251293777920

https://twitter.com/kos_data/status/1726601142023651781

Honestly we should stop letting Europeans have flares.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Issaries posted:

I believe that the Argentinians were the stupid ones, for electing him.

Argentinians, famous for not being Americans :rolleyes:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hate that poo poo is so insane I am honestly unable to tell if things are being tweeted in seriousness or as a joke.

Unless I'm the one confused about what mommy milkers are, and how they are a cornerstone of the woke liberal agenda.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The Right Is Starting to Get Better at Comedy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe Biden's "America"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
nevada, utah, and colorado, the notorious low elevation states. don't know how anyone is surviving king tides out there as things are now

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah lol they have the literal Rocky Mountains, where elevation starts at 5+ thousand feet, in the submersion zone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, don't come asking me for one of my 100lb sacks of corn when SHTF

I'll point out that in a full-out Russia/NATO nuclear exchange, the dakotas are going to be carpet nuked in counterforce strikes to the point that everything north of Lincoln is going to glow in the dark. So good luck in safe and sunny South Dakota

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

I'll point out that in a full-out Russia/NATO nuclear exchange, the dakotas are going to be carpet nuked in counterforce strikes to the point that everything north of Lincoln is going to glow in the dark. So good luck in safe and sunny South Dakota

The reason the silos are there is because it’s a great sponge for nukes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but Nuke Sponge is terrible ad copy for your apocalypse compound.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

What are the utilities payments like for an apocalypse bunker? $55k upfront and $1k per year is a pretty solid deal.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

If that was above ground it would cost $300K

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do I have to keep paying the ground rent after the apocalypse happens (and to whom)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

Joe Biden's "America"

lol if yellowstone pops we're all probably done for

zoux posted:

Would they? If the silos are empty would there be anything even worth wasting besides what could generously be called a major city

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1726488229967478948

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dubar posted:

If that was above ground it would cost $300K

"as-is condition" is probably carrying a lot of weight here

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol if yellowstone pops we're all probably done for

Would they? If the silos are empty would there be anything even worth wasting besides what could generously be called a major city

All those red dots are active missile silos, which would eat between 1-3 MIRV warheads each, I don't think they are far enough away given the thermonuclear gigatonnage that would be dropped on the upper midwest.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

zoux posted:

Joe Biden's "America"

So you're saying Hawaii and Alaska are immune to cataclysm. Looks like all the territories get the last laugh as well.

Parrot Doctor
Aug 28, 2004

Western SD also has an Air Force base where they are getting a new bomber program

Edit: B-21 Raider, a nuclear bomber

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ceciliaaraneda/status/1726703902119329919

:thunk:

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

At one stage the Soviet strategy for attacking NORAD was to just keep lobbing 20MT nukes at it to ablate away Cheyenne Mountain. I'm sure that would make for spicy air downwind.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

zoux posted:

All those red dots are active missile silos, which would eat between 1-3 MIRV warheads each, I don't think they are far enough away given the thermonuclear gigatonnage that would be dropped on the upper midwest.

They're talking about a counterstrike, the silos would be empty. I'm asking if there would still be anything worth targeting if they were in fact empty. I'm sure there's some air bases proper but I meant cities and stuff

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While actual targets and protocol are among the most classified secrets in the world, I think every one assumes they're going to nuke our silos either way. Maybe we don't launch all of them, maybe there's a failure that can be corrected for another launch attempt. I mean, Russia runs all (or almost all?) of their ICBMs from mobile launchers in part because silos are easy to target and attack, so this is at least an issue in their mind. Even in a Russia first-strike scenario, we're going to theoretically be able to launch silo-based ICBMs before they get nuked

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Assuming it's not a joke, this is coming from people that will buy and need their own version of anything so long as it has "freedom" or "patriot" in the moniker. Looking at you, FreedomBook and Patriot Media. Making a RW version of this menu is hilariously easy and equally stupid.

- Eagle Turkey
- Constitution casserole
- Bible Beans
- Jesus Juice
- Ameri-cranberry
- Patriot-taters
- Freedom Rolls
- Patriot Pie

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember Jon Stewart once said on-air that he was going to have the most American Thanksgiving possible by eating a bald eagle, and then on the next episode that they had gotten some complaints about that bit. At least one of those was probably a joke though

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zoux posted:

While actual targets and protocol are among the most classified secrets in the world, I think every one assumes they're going to nuke our silos either way. Maybe we don't launch all of them, maybe there's a failure that can be corrected for another launch attempt. I mean, Russia runs all (or almost all?) of their ICBMs from mobile launchers in part because silos are easy to target and attack, so this is at least an issue in their mind. Even in a Russia first-strike scenario, we're going to theoretically be able to launch silo-based ICBMs before they get nuked

Retaliatory strike scenarios explicitly assume that the empty silos (and other strategic targets) will be significantly less targeted than population centers. Silos probably least of all since military and production facilities have more use than a silo that's launched its missiles. South Dakota is a long way from any active silos: they'll be in a bad way in a Russian first strike but only because the sheer volume of the strikes on North Dakota, Montana, and the greater NORAD area will send huge fallout plumes. Sure, they might not be totally ignored, but if those locations don't get absolutely carpeted than the safety of being in the middle of South Dakota changes a lot. So it's a weird location where in a nuclear war they'll be either as untouched as anywhere in the continental US or in the worst possible place for somewhere that far from the nearest mushroom cloud.

One thing to note on this map is that if the war happened tomorrow the 2000 warhead scenario is not possible: Russia has fewer than 1700 warheads actively deployed so you'd need some sort of close and explicit Russia/China collaboration or something making sure they fill in each other's gaps.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Minot AFB in North Dakota is where nearly half the US's nuclear bombers are based, theres no way its not on every type of list.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

I also had to Google this guy to see if he was real or not.

His Wikipedia page ends with him Splitting up with his wife and dating a staffer.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

tallahassee gets what it deserves, i see

e: raises some questions. do the 500 nuke targets not count anymore if there are 2k nukes in play? i see 2k marks overlapping with some 500s but not others. do the overlaps just get nuked twice?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What if I nuke 500 targets, and then nuke 1500 targets, for a total nuking of 2000 targets, but I never sent a single batch of 2000 nukes?

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 21, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Kith posted:

tallahassee gets what it deserves, i see

e: raises some questions. do the 500 nuke targets not count anymore if there are 2k nukes in play? i see 2k marks overlapping with some 500s but not others. do the overlaps just get nuked twice?

I don't know that for certain. And obviously this isn't anything Russia has officially announced so much as an educated guess by Americans. But the scenarios are:

1. Russia does a first strike with a primary goal of neutralizing the US's ability to wage war. Apart from suicidal impulse, this might represent that for some reason they feel they can "win" the war with a surprise attack. It targets anything the US can use to strike back with or use to rebuild its offensive capability in the short or medium term. Killing everyone is possible but it's not the goal.

2. Russia does a retaliatory strike, for example in response to an American first strike or other immanent collapse of Russia. This is the MAD scenario, where a nuclear power that is losing a war makes certain that there is no winner. Body count is the goal: destroying remaining American forces is fine and all, but doesn't really matter if there's no Russia left to attack. It could even be triggered by the automatic Dead Hand system the Soviets designed to signal all remaining silos in the event a surprise American attack destroying their entire command structure. There's no confirmation but supposedly Russia still maintains it.

Obviously enough scenario 2, by design, is a good enough reason why a first strike is insane for even the most hawkish and bloodthirsty government, and both scenarios would be governed partly by the number of available warheads, but target priorities are sharply different for each.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If the nukes start flying we are hosed regardless of what silos are targeted or not

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

haveblue posted:

What if I nuke 500 targets, and then nuke 1500 targets, for a total nuking of 2000 targets, but I never sent a single batch of 2000 nukes?

sending nukes in one at a time to just pound dallas into the sea two thousand times

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

i say swears online posted:

sending nukes in one at a time to just pound dallas into the sea two thousand times

People often overlook the benefits of peaceful use of nuclear power

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Killer robot posted:

Retaliatory strike scenarios explicitly assume that the empty silos (and other strategic targets) will be significantly less targeted than population centers. Silos probably least of all since military and production facilities have more use than a silo that's launched its missiles. South Dakota is a long way from any active silos: they'll be in a bad way in a Russian first strike but only because the sheer volume of the strikes on North Dakota, Montana, and the greater NORAD area will send huge fallout plumes. Sure, they might not be totally ignored, but if those locations don't get absolutely carpeted than the safety of being in the middle of South Dakota changes a lot. So it's a weird location where in a nuclear war they'll be either as untouched as anywhere in the continental US or in the worst possible place for somewhere that far from the nearest mushroom cloud.

One thing to note on this map is that if the war happened tomorrow the 2000 warhead scenario is not possible: Russia has fewer than 1700 warheads actively deployed so you'd need some sort of close and explicit Russia/China collaboration or something making sure they fill in each other's gaps.

Given the lack of missiles hitting Nevada, it definitely seems like in the future patrolling the Mojave would almost make you wish for a nuclear winter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's good, but I prefer the classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
You’d swear an AI produced that