Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Robindaybird posted:

It's bad enough fans made a "One Pace" cut that cuts a lot of cruft.

Interesting. I've just finished the Enies Lobby/Water 7 Arc, so I don't think anything has been quite as egregious as what's in the clip here yet. Unfortunately, it looks like the OnePace site is blocked at work, and since I'm only able to churn through these on my second screen while working, doesn't seem like it'll be a viable alternative.

Klungar fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Klungar posted:

Interesting. I've just finished the Enies Lobby/Water 7 Arc, so I don't think anything has been quite as egregious as what's in the clip here yet. Unfortunately, it looks like the OnePace site is blocked at work, and since I'm only able to churn through these on my second screen while working, doesn't seem like it'll be a viable alternative.

Basically at some point, Toei realized that viewership absolutely tanked during filler arcs. They decided the solution was to pad all the episodes to hell so there would never be filler episodes. The reason One Piece doesn't just take breaks is because then it would lose the timeslot. This makes the episodes absolutely horrible.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Having watched the live action series and caught up with it in the anime (because I liked the live action series to stick with the anime through the bits I don’t like), the funniest thing for me so far is that my favourite bit of the live action series, a punchy 5-minute sequence that shows the reactions of everyone the Straw Hats have encountered, takes a whole 24-minute episode of the cartoon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
one of the worst parts about the one piece anime is that it stopped adapting the cover story arcs, which is crazy because some of them are actually really important to the plot. they're basically mini-stories, one page per chapter at a time, covering characters and world events outside of the current happenings surrounding the strawhats, and imo is one of the best things one piece ever introduced because it makes the greater world way more fleshed out and alive. but the anime episodes for those didn't do well after the first one so they just stopped adapting them entirely

Klungar posted:

Enies Lobby is when this began. You know that moment when they jump the train across the open drawbridge and it goes into a flashback mid-jump? that's The Moment, the moment things went to poo poo.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 20, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
photoshopping one piece's plum time slot over character's face: i want to live!!!!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

one of the worst parts about the one piece anime is that it stopped adapting the cover story arcs, which is crazy because some of them are actually really important to the plot. they're basically mini-stories, one page per chapter at a time, covering characters and world events outside of the current happenings surrounding the strawhats, and imo is one of the best things one piece ever introduced because it makes the greater world way more fleshed out and alive. but the anime episodes for those didn't do well after the first one so they just stopped adapting them entirely

Enies Lobby is when this began. You know that moment when they jump the train across the open drawbridge and it goes into a flashback mid-jump? that's The Moment, the moment things went to poo poo.

Yeah I always wondered how Hachi came back into the story only to find out it was from one of those. There were also some interesting character revelations in many that feel pretty important now.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I haven't seen Trolls 3 yet but I'd probably pick that because I love those movies so much, the third one would have to be particularly heinous for me to not enjoy it.

Alternatively probably Nimona

I liked T3 but not as much as T2. The animation is stunning though and there's a really inventive feel to the way they do textures and stuff. Even the way they render water as beads instead of just using standard water textures is really neat.

Story wise, though, I felt like things were introduced and wrapped up maybe too quickly, in kind of a Frozen 2 way. Plus a lot of characters just aren't in this one and don't go on the main quest, so if you or your kid are big fans of Guy Diamond or Biggie you might be a little disappointed. That said they introduce a lot of new characters and they're mostly fun and beautifully rendered.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Macaluso posted:

I haven't seen Trolls 3 yet but I'd probably pick that because I love those movies so much, the third one would have to be particularly heinous for me to not enjoy it.

Alternatively probably Nimona

flashy_mcflash posted:

I liked T3 but not as much as T2. The animation is stunning though and there's a really inventive feel to the way they do textures and stuff. Even the way they render water as beads instead of just using standard water textures is really neat.

Story wise, though, I felt like things were introduced and wrapped up maybe too quickly, in kind of a Frozen 2 way. Plus a lot of characters just aren't in this one and don't go on the main quest, so if you or your kid are big fans of Guy Diamond or Biggie you might be a little disappointed. That said they introduce a lot of new characters and they're mostly fun and beautifully rendered.

Something about the idea of the Trolls movie beating Disney at their own game AND on their 100th anniversary just amuses me. Rewatching the first two MAN these are just tailor made(literally since it's all felt and whatnot) to please families with kids and with Turkey Day holidays this week and great reviews(61 critics, 91 audience) it's definitely cleaning house.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 20, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As a long-runner, is One Piece a dinosaur for being a show that never takes break, quality and pacing be damned? Most other anime of mention, original and adaptation, follows a traditional season model.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 20, 2023

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
I'm hoping Boy and the Heron is going to be high up on my best of list, but I've avoided reading anything about it since I want to be surprised. But a friend is asking if it'd be ok for his six year old. Anybody know where this is on the scale of Ponyo to Mononoke?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Inspector Gesicht posted:

As a long-runner, is One Piece a dinosaur for being a show that never takes break, quality and pacing be damned? Most other anime of mention, original and adaptation, follows a traditional season model.

I think it and Detective Conan are the only two who still follow that model.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

doomrider7 posted:

I'm trying to think of the most overused and trite cliche in that series. How often did someone get their work plagiarised, leading to their suicide and the plagiarist's murder?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheThirst posted:

I'm hoping Boy and the Heron is going to be high up on my best of list, but I've avoided reading anything about it since I want to be surprised. But a friend is asking if it'd be ok for his six year old. Anybody know where this is on the scale of Ponyo to Mononoke?

I saw it a couple months ago and liked it okay, but it felt a little bit...rote to me? Like someone came up with a Ghibli generator and dropped in random inputs from movies you've already seen, like a Miyazaki's Greatest Hits album.

That's not to say that it's not good or that the animation isn't stunning, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a masterpiece or anything. If you told me it was a Miyazaki tribute I'd believe it.

E: forgot to mention, my 6 year old Frozen and Moana fanatic kid turned to me during the Wish trailer before Trolls 3 and said "this is stupid". She seems pretty into the Garfield movie though so there's no accounting for taste.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 20, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I'm trying to think of the most overused and trite cliche in that series. How often did someone get their work plagiarised, leading to their suicide and the plagiarist's murder?

As an adult that one just confuses me. Like, did they not keep originals and the take them to court over the whole thing?

flashy_mcflash posted:

I saw it a couple months ago and liked it okay, but it felt a little bit...rote to me? Like someone came up with a Ghibli generator and dropped in random inputs from movies you've already seen, like a Miyazaki's Greatest Hits album.

That's not to say that it's not good or that the animation isn't stunning, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a masterpiece or anything. If you told me it was a Miyazaki tribute I'd believe it.

E: forgot to mention, my 6 year old Frozen and Moana fanatic kid turned to me during the Wish trailer before Trolls 3 and said "this is stupid". She seems pretty into the Garfield movie though so there's no accounting for taste.

Haven't seen the full on trailer, but Garfield looked pretty okay to me. Then again I love Garfield and anything looks better than the weird Live-Action Animated one. Wish always just looked okay, but didn't really grab me like Trolls 3 which just looked like the crazed over the top fun.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The murders almost always involve some elaborate trick using ropes or string. Also inviting Conan and his family to spend the night is a death sentence.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

doomrider7 posted:

I think there are still a few other Perpetual Kids Series, or at least timeslots that Toei guards jealously as all hell. Digimon's been stuck in that perpetual model whenever it's been back, instead of rotating seasons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Bee posted:

I think there are still a few other Perpetual Kids Series, or at least timeslots that Toei guards jealously as all hell.

Sazae-san has been running continuously every Sunday from 18:30 to 19:00 since 1969.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Haven't seen the full on trailer, but Garfield looked pretty okay to me. Then again I love Garfield and anything looks better than the weird Live-Action Animated one. Wish always just looked okay, but didn't really grab me like Trolls 3 which just looked like the crazed over the top fun.

There's just something about Wish that seems kind of joyless to me. I see what they're going for with the animation but it just doesn't pop, and this was in a theatre. The villain just seems like nothing as well.

There's a kind of vibrancy in Trolls where it seems like something is going on in every corner of every frame and while I can see that being annoying, Wish kind of feels like the polar opposite where there's nothing to grab onto.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's just something about Wish that seems kind of joyless to me. I see what they're going for with the animation but it just doesn't pop, and this was in a theatre. The villain just seems like nothing as well.

There's a kind of vibrancy in Trolls where it seems like something is going on in every corner of every frame and while I can see that being annoying, Wish kind of feels like the polar opposite where there's nothing to grab onto.

The issue I have with Magnifico is that he lacks the bombastic panache of previous Disney villains where they were both larger than life and had the presence of room to back it or the sneering dislike where seeing them brought down a notch was REALLY satisfying. I really think they should have made him a blend of Kuzco(pre-character development) and Izma with some Hades thrown. Best of both worlds.

Trolls is one of those franchises that I like because it knows what it is and what it's aiming for a delivers. It's not trying to be high-brow or deep, it's a high octane trip of color and fun and I can respect that. Plus that Hustle sequence in the commercials was awesome to look at.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I kind of wish they hadn't put that hustle sequence in the trailer because that's literally the whole sequence in the movie. I think they do it again but it's pretty brief.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

doomrider7 posted:

The issue I have with Magnifico is that he lacks the bombastic panache of previous Disney villains where they were both larger than life and had the presence of room to back it or the sneering dislike where seeing them brought down a notch was REALLY satisfying. I really think they should have made him a blend of Kuzco(pre-character development) and Izma with some Hades thrown. Best of both worlds.

I haven't seen the movie but something that makes the best villain songs work is the context making them more than just a song, like Poor Unfortunate souls is basically Ursula's sales patter pressuring Ariel into a bad decision, and the slightly cute bit where she's hooked the client and she turns to her co-conspirators and is just like "Flotsam, Jetsam, now I've got her boys! The boss is on a ROLL!" really sells how much FUN she's having and how much she's enjoying her work.

Similarly, Jafar's reprise of Prince Ali gets a lot of flack, but it being a reprise is significant - it's him making fun of Prince Ali by turning his own song against him and finally having the strength to back up his political aspirations. He's had to spend years hiding behind the scenes, pretending to behave himself in public while being an rear end in a top hat behind the scenes, and finally he has what he's always wanted - he can stop pretending. There's a reason he never sings before this moment, it's part of his mask, him starting to sing is a display that whatever veneer of sanity he hid behind has finally broken and he can go full mask off and show the psychotic weirdo that he always was because now he has nearly limitless power. His lyrics even devolve by the end into just displays of guttural enjoyment of what he's doing with "His assets frozen, the venue chosen is the ends of the earth WHOOPEEE!"

While his song in the sequel is nowhere near as good, I do appreciate second rate for what it is as well - it's Jafar doing a similarly twisted version of Friend Like Me, it's just that the animation lacks the budget to really step up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The Prince Ali reprise gets flack? It made me wish Jafar had more songs.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Das Boo posted:

The Prince Ali reprise gets flack? It made me wish Jafar had more songs.

He had like three songs that got cut, it’s very crazy!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It was one of the Tim Rice songs that made me understand just what they lost in Howard Ashman.

“Just a con, need I go on, take it from me” gently caress you and your rutabaga filler

Coming after the Ashman original version of prince ali it’s like getting slapped in the face with a fish

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But his voice is so smooth and silky!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

Sazae-san has been running continuously every Sunday from 18:30 to 19:00 since 1969.

Doremon has also been running since 1973 despite the manga it was based on ending in 1997

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Data Graham posted:

It was one of the Tim Rice songs that made me understand just what they lost in Howard Ashman.

“Just a con, need I go on, take it from me” gently caress you and your rutabaga filler

Coming after the Ashman original version of prince ali it’s like getting slapped in the face with a fish

not great lyrics but it also works with Jafar not being nearly as slick as he think he is (and how much he had relied on constantly mind-whammying the Sultan and abusing his authority as Vizier) and that out of the Renaissance villains, he's an complete loving dork

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I liked ruby gillman, teenage kraken. The design of everything and how it moved felt like a perfect mediation of the strengths of cgi and good drawn design fundamentals. Ignore the story.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

I mean the #1 issue I have with the post Endgame stuff is that they insisted on doing the TV shows. I have heard Loki is apprently pretty important to this new phase, but it doesn't really matter to me how good Loki apparently is. I didn't have many issues with keeping up with the movies so that I was properly caught up for Infinity War/Endgame, but I have less than zero interest in keeping up with any of the TV shows.

The Marvel shows on Disney plus didn't have showrunners. I feel like that explains a lot about what they're like.

The_Doctor posted:

Until I see The Boy and the Heron, my 1 and 2 this year are ATSV and TMNT Mutant Mayhem.

Same, TMNT Mutant Mayhem might be one of my favorite animated things ever.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Audience scores for Wish are out with a respectably high 88%. Movie might just pull off some decent legs if WoM is good with families.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

doomrider7 posted:

Audience scores for Wish are out with a respectably high 88%. Movie might just pull off some decent legs if WoM is good with families.

I'll eat my words if it actually turns out to be great, but I'm not surprised that a movie that is basically about how wonderful and magical Disney is would get a good audience score, considering how many people have Disney bumper stickers.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

that wishing star reminds me of that nihilist Luma from the SMB movie

mystes
May 31, 2006

hiddenriverninja posted:

that wishing star reminds me of that nihilist Luma from the SMB movie
I don't understand why I'm supposed to want to see a movie about the Disney Star but I absolutely would watch one about that star, which was the best part of the smb movie

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

I'll eat my words if it actually turns out to be great, but I'm not surprised that a movie that is basically about how wonderful and magical Disney is would get a good audience score, considering how many people have Disney bumper stickers.

It's taken hits and is now down to 48% critics and 83% audiences. It's gonna be divisive as hell to say the least. Compare to Trolls 3 sitting comfortably at 63% critics and a very beefy 91% audiences.

Edit: Just got back from Trolls 3. It was a great blast and I can see why it's getting good audience numbers.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 22, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Contrary to everyone I talk to, I like the rendering style of Wish. It looks like they mined the Disney archives for concept art from the old movies and designed their lookdev around that. It doesn't pop the way Spiderverse or TMNT does because those are much more modern and aggressive styles that command attention. This one is a bit flatter but on purpose, with solid appeal and fundamentals.

Too bad the story doesn't interest me at all. As much as I respect old Disney art, their oldest movies are some of the most boring.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ccs posted:

Contrary to everyone I talk to, I like the rendering style of Wish. It looks like they mined the Disney archives for concept art from the old movies and designed their lookdev around that. It doesn't pop the way Spiderverse or TMNT does because those are much more modern and aggressive styles that command attention. This one is a bit flatter but on purpose, with solid appeal and fundamentals.

Too bad the story doesn't interest me at all. As much as I respect old Disney art, their oldest movies are some of the most boring.

I kinda think their first four features are vastly more interesting than anything that followed. Their best people left after the strike.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ccs posted:

But even if you're going more for the 'looks like a concept art painting' less modern in style then you've got Puss In Boots 2 as your point of comparison. And even next to the PiB scenes that aren't pulling fancy perspectives and frame rate fuckery, Wish just looks... dull and flat.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 22, 2023

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MikeJF posted:

But even if you're going more for the 'looks like a concept art painting' less modern in style then you've got Puss In Boots 2 as your point of comparison. And even next to the PiB scenes that aren't pulling fancy perspectives and frame rate fuckery, Wish just looks... dull and flat.

I still have mixed feelings with how the movie looks. At times it DOES look amazing with moments that look great, but others I do share the sentiment of it looking duller and more flat. Even using Trolls 3 as a comparison is pretty rough since that movie just BLASTED you with colors and awesome looking stuff nonstop. By contrast yeah it's not as strong of a case and look. It's definitely going for the storybook look, but I'm not sure what's missing to complete the look or keeping it from landing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
From the very first trailers, Wish has looked like a videogame cutscene from 15 years ago to me and it still hasn't shaken that impression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So I've never actually seen any movies in either the trolls or the croods series. I was just wondering are these generally considered to be a good time for adult viewers, I.e. not just when you're watching them with kids?